ADVERTISEMENT

Fair assessment (at least in my mind) as we hit the home stretch

Chicago-bound Hoosier

All-American
Mar 14, 2003
Get off my lawn
finished T-2 in the B1G (in what has to be the most balanced season in conference history)
got back on top of the big bro/lil bro relationship
Double bye in B1G tourney
Looking at 4 seed in real tourney
TJD played like an AA pretty much all year
JHS played like frosh part of the time, OAD part of the time; asked to play much bigger role with X going down (his 3 saved our asses yesterday and bailed out TJD's late missed 1-and-1
Won a few B1G road games
Only home losses were NW (who we all underestimated) and Iowa (who shot out of their asses)

This 2 yrs removed from CAM's miserable tenure. And with our seasoned, experienced, true starting PG going down for most of the season (and the guy who actually carried us to a tourney bid last year).

Considering all the preseason forecasts on this site, many have to consider CMW year 2 to be a success. Would love to see a run this weekend, but I'd give that up for a S16 showing. That would solidify the season in my mind.

My greatest disappointment would be the ever-shrinking bench we have. Bates still struggled badly yesterday, but will give a little credit, the 2 threes he hit in the second half were huge, and we would not have won without them. Have to be fair to the kid and acknowledge that.

Have some big holes to fill over the offseason, and X's redshirt status still up in the air, but I will concede, we're in a far better place right now than 2 yrs ago when IU got boo'd off the court- in INDY- by the fans after laying down in the B1G tourney, and watched CAM walk into the tunnel for the final time, and then saw two 4-star recruits who saw ample playing time and were supposed to be a big part of our future (Rob and Hunter) both split when CAM left. (EDIT--scratch Rob replace with Franklin)

We are where we are at now, in large part, because TJD chose to stick it out at IU. Without him this year, we'd struggle to be a .500 club.

Fair? Or rose colored? You be the judge.

Last edited:
Looking forward one of the best things I predict for IU Basketball version 2023-2024 will be Trey Galloway becoming that one player every team in the conference will despise. His basketball IQ is already top notch but when the speed of his thinking catches up to the speed of his play, Trey will be a thorn in the side of every opposing team.

Looking forward one of the best things I predict for IU Basketball version 2023-2024 will be Trey Galloway becoming that one player every team in the conference will despise. His basketball IQ is already top notch but when the speed of his thinking catches up to the speed of his play, Trey will be a thorn in the side of every opposing team.
his shooting has seen big strides forward. His biggest weakness is actually his biggest strength- plays with reckless abandon. Leads to a higher amount of fouls. Although I still say he got screwed royally on his 5th foul yesterday, that jagweed Dickheadson was elbow molesting him in both ears as the ball was approaching the rim.

There is a lot of manic activity on this board: when games go well, this team has the potential to be a world beater. When games go badly, the team is terrible (or worse).

IMO, Yours is a fair assessment - much better than a year ago, not close to the preseason hype.

The key point to me in your assessment is that the B10 is balanced this year with no outstanding team. IU’s results reflect that.

finished T-2 in the B1G (in what has to be the most balanced season in conference history)
JHS played like frosh part of the time, OAD part of the time; asked to play much bigger role with X going down (his 3 saved our asses yesterday and bailed out TJD's late missed 1-and-1
Won a few B1G road games
Only home losses were NW (who we all underestimated) and Iowa (who shot out of their asses)

This 2 yrs removed from CAM's miserable tenure. And with our seasoned, experienced, true starting PG going down for most of the season (and the guy who actually carried us to a tourney bid last year).

Considering all the preseason forecasts on this site, many have to consider CMW year 2 to be a success. Would love to see a run this weekend, but I'd give that up for a S16 showing. That would solidify the season in my mind.

My greatest disappointment would be the ever-shrinking bench we have. Bates still struggled badly yesterday, but will give a little credit, the 2 threes he hit in the second half were huge, and we would not have won without them. Have to be fair to the kid and acknowledge that.

Have some big holes to fill over the offseason, and X's redshirt status still up in the air, but I will concede, we're in a far better place right now than 2 yrs ago when IU got boo'd off the court- in INDY- by the fans after laying down in the B1G tourney, and watched CAM walk into the tunnel for the final time, and then saw two 4-star recruits who saw ample playing time and were supposed to be a big part of our future (Rob and Hunter) both split when CAM left. (EDIT--scratch Rob replace with Franklin)

We are where we are at now, in large part, because TJD chose to stick it out at IU. Without him this year, we'd struggle to be a .500 club.

Fair overall.

Tamar hit a couple big shots yesterday. Took a couple questionable ones. The thing I think he needs most credit for, however, is he did end up locking down Buffkin fairly well later in the game, and in overtime, once Trey went out. Everyone noticed the missed put back, and the bad shot selection on a couple shots. But he dug in defensively, and helped us win that game on that end of the floor.

And I actually predicted the opposite, I think, when Trey went out. Gotta give Bates credit.

When you look at the season results overall, and factor in X being out for 2/3 of the season, I think its been a pretty good overall performance by the team and coaches. I don't like, at all, how inconsistent we were...so any sort of microanalysis of that, individual games and stretches of the season, probably brings some more scrutiny.

But we're in a much better spot today, than we were 1 year ago. And we did that without X. Kudos overall to staff and players. Now just dig in and be consistently good defensively from here on out, and go do something special!!!!

Fair overall.

Tamar hit a couple big shots yesterday. Took a couple questionable ones. The thing I think he needs most credit for, however, is he did end up locking down Buffkin fairly well later in the game, and in overtime, once Trey went out. Everyone noticed the missed put back, and the bad shot selection on a couple shots. But he dug in defensively, and helped us win that game on that end of the floor.

And I actually predicted the opposite, I think, when Trey went out. Gotta give Bates credit.

When you look at the season results overall, and factor in X being out for 2/3 of the season, I think its been a pretty good overall performance by the team and coaches. I don't like, at all, how inconsistent we were...so any sort of microanalysis of that, individual games and stretches of the season, probably brings some more scrutiny.

But we're in a much better spot today, than we were 1 year ago. And we did that without X. Kudos overall to staff and players. Now just dig in and be consistently good defensively from here on out, and go do something special!!!!
Tamar needed this game. He did play really good defense down the stretch. Bufkin was eating us up. Once he got locked up it let TJD do his thing. Race too. TJD got some good blocks in that stretch.

Agree with your point. I'm don't know if he was recruited as a shooter.... but if he could become a 3 point bomber.... then that would really add to his arsenal. He made some good 3's this year... some at timely places in the game.... so I think he has the ability. I like Trey a lot. Heady kid... as you stated IU2

I credit Woodson for bringing a sense of respectability back to IU. First, he's a man of few words. Always a good thing. Second, he's been a good steward of the program. Third, he's not a cheese dick. Fourth, the parents like him. Fifth, he has some connection to Coach Knight, but in a way that is adult-like and non-capitulatory.

The ball hasn't always been great, sure. Some bad games here and there. But, he's beaten PU thrice. He's won a tourney game in his 1st season (play in).

The calls to fire him are puerile. Reasonable people can disagree on Woodson's ability to "right the ship", though. I don't think we have our answer yet...but we shouldn't (absent an instantaneous explosion into dominance, these things take time).

Fair overall.

"But he dug in defensively, and helped us win that game on that end of the floor."

I have to agree with this statement. Tamar's defense, or where ever his head was at on defense, was horrid this year. So to see him buckle down in this game was a very positive thing. Hopefully we see more of that Tamar here on out.

"But he dug in defensively, and helped us win that game on that end of the floor."

I have to agree with this statement. Tamar's defense, or where ever his head was at on defense, was horrid this year. So to see him buckle down in this game was a very positive thing. Hopefully we see more of that Tamar here on out.
They need him. He needed this game.

Agree with your point. I'm don't know if he was recruited as a shooter.... but if he could become a 3 point bomber.... then that would really add to his arsenal. He made some good 3's this year... some at timely places in the game.... so I think he has the ability. I like Trey a lot. Heady kid... as you stated IU2
All we "need" from Trey is him being healthy, and playing next year largely how he did this year. He became a reliable shooter. He's a good defender. He brings tons of energy. He's a solid ball handler overall.

X, alongside Trey, will be one of the better backcourts in the B10 next year.

Who plays alongside those guys and Malik, will be interesting to see unfold.

Lots of different types of guys, all pretty talented, that will be vying for those 3-4 slots.

This team could have been special if X could have come back towards the end of the Big 10 schedule. Still have a reasonable chance to make a run. Also have a reasonable chance not to do anything.

It's fun again, and it really wasn't fun the whole time Archie was here.

This team could have been special if X could have come back towards the end of the Big 10 schedule. Still have a reasonable chance to make a run. Also have a reasonable chance not to do anything.

It's fun again, and it really wasn't fun the whole time Archie was here.
Lots of good points in this thread but you nailed it. Going to the Hall is fun again. Late night B10 road games are fun... sometimes. It has been an entertaining season.

Won a few B1G road games

We are not going to have much of a bench in the NCAA there just is not really anyone we can rely on. Bates did hit a few threes yesterday but he also made many mistakes and that missed layup almost cost us the game. You simply cannot rely on him. Malik is really the only sub you can get decent minutes out of sometimes.

We are not going to have much of a bench in the NCAA there just is not really anyone we can rely on. Bates did hit a few threes yesterday but he also made many mistakes and that missed layup almost cost us the game. You simply cannot rely on him. Malik is really the only sub you can get decent minutes out of sometimes.
the slowly evaporating bench is my biggest complaint. JG dressed yesterday (or so it was stated here)...I saw him on TV, looked to be in uniform...but he just watched the game like the rest of us. JHS has to stay out of foul trouble...the 2nd foul in first half yesterday was ticky tac and unnecessary. Without X he has to stay on the court 35 min a game or until the game is secured....which is something we do not seem to know how to do.

Reactions: bkiefer7
Won a few B1G road games

Part of Archie's problems where that his recruits, who most people were quite excited about, mostly we're nowhere near as good as expectations. For example, four-star Rob Phinesee just finished his year at Cincinnati averaging 1.7 points and shooting about 20% from behind the arch. Thank God he hit that shot against Purdue.

Won a few B1G road games

I think that's reasonably fair.

Tamar's best college games are in front of him. I'm gonna guess his confidence will grow as he realizes it's not all on him and as he gets past playing with JHS. (JHS is special, which is no knock on Tamar.)

This year is a transition year, from Archie's recruits to Woody's. I'm gonna guess that next year will be a whole lot more successful than we currently are giving it credit for.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Do you need as much of a bench in the tourney, provided you can stay out of foul trouble? Max 2 games a week.

I disagree. Preseason was that we win the BT. We end up in second without key players for extended periods of time or does that not figure into your thinking?

How do you think the year plays out if we have a full roster all year?
Early season hype was that IU would win the B10 not come in second.

Did IU come in second based on how they took care of business all season or some help from other conference results?

You can argue injuries both ways since many teams deal with them for some portion of the season.

Are you stating here that this team lived up to the preseason hype that was loaded on them? If so, how do you explain Northwestern’s season? I don’t think they were even in the conversation

Did IU come in second based on how they took care of business all season or some help from other conference results?

You can argue injuries both ways since many teams deal with them for some portion of the season.

Are you stating here that this team lived up to the preseason hype that was loaded on them? If so, how do you explain Northwestern’s season? I don’t think they were even in the conversation
Did i miss the injuries to Boo Buie or Braden Smith?

He’s done a great job. Players still have to make it happen but he has that program going in the right direction.
He's seen basketball success at a high level educational institution. He knows how it's done. One issue for him is going to be whether he can get cold weather buy-in from top recruits.

The one point I’d like to add is that it might be a blessing in disguise that the powers that be decided to shut down X for the year, ending speculation of him coming back, working him into the rotation blah, blah. By doing so, the sole focus can now be on the players we have, everyone knows their role, so let’s roll with that… think we have a legitimate chance of winning the BTT, so let’s focus on that and take what we get in the NCAA

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
He's seen basketball success at a high level educational institution. He knows how it's done. One issue for him is going to be whether he can get cold weather buy-in from top recruits.
I have always thought that NW athletes must compete academically as well (say, compared to some other schools), which makes the job even tougher.

Did I miss where they were picked to finish near the top of the league?
I was responding to this.

You can't discount the effect of our injuries because the 2 teams ahead of us didn't have significant injuries. Doesn't matter they over-achieved. The point is whether injuries impacted IU's chances to win the conference.

The one point I’d like to add is that it might be a blessing in disguise that the powers that be decided to shut down X for the year, ending speculation of him coming back, working him into the rotation blah, blah. By doing so, the sole focus can now be on the players we have, everyone knows their role, so let’s roll with that… think we have a legitimate chance of winning the BTT, so let’s focus on that and take what we get in the NCAA
Norman Dale, is that you?

I have always thought that NW athletes must compete academically as well (say, compared to some other schools), which makes the job even tougher.
I think in recruiting, you sell the contacts at a school like Northwestern/Duke. None of the basketball players are academics.

I was responding to this.

You can't discount the effect of our injuries because the 2 teams ahead of us didn't have significant injuries. Doesn't matter they over-achieved. The point is whether injuries impacted IU's chances to win the conference.
So you stating that this season’s results are solely due to injuries and without them, they’d clearly have met expectations/ hype and dominated the conference?

How do you explain the Iowa game where everyone was back except X and Geronimo (I believe) and still every other Iowa basket was a cut or backdoor cut?

Not every game this season can be excused away due to injuries.

I think in recruiting, you sell the contacts at a school like Northwestern/Duke. None of the basketball players are academics.
Not academics? Not sure of your meaning.

They still have to make grades and NW isn’t known for being an easy school academically. He has to find at least 5 guys who can shoot and meet requirements. I think we are both saying he isnt recruiting as an NBA launchpad.

Won a few B1G road games

Well done and 'fair." I like sweeps of Michigan, Illinois, and PU too. (Iowa and NW the other way. Tough league.) I believe we look like Indiana again. I recognize fundamentals, which is why CMW brings so much value. At least for me. Go Hoosiers!

So you stating that this season’s results are solely due to injuries and without them, they’d clearly have met expectations/ hype and dominated the conference?

How do you explain the Iowa game where everyone was back except X and Geronimo (I believe) and still every other Iowa basket was a cut or backdoor cut?

Not every game this season can be excused away due to injuries.
Just responding to you saying that injuries are no excuse for not winning the conference because everyone had injuries. No one knows what would have actually happened without IU's injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT