ADVERTISEMENT

Fair assessment (at least in my mind) as we hit the home stretch

Do you need as much of a bench in the tourney, provided you can stay out of foul trouble? Max 2 games a week.
No I do not think you need to go any deeper than 7 players honestly. Galloway just cannot foul out again as we will mostly play 5 players 30 plus minutes a game.

So you stating that this season’s results are solely due to injuries and without them, they’d clearly have met expectations/ hype and dominated the conference?

How do you explain the Iowa game where everyone was back except X and Geronimo (I believe) and still every other Iowa basket was a cut or backdoor cut?

Not every game this season can be excused away due to injuries.
The X injury hurt but injury excuses kind of get old to listen too. Every team I can think of other than Purdue had injuries at some point this year they had to deal with. Would we have a few more wins with X ? Maybe? Who knows this team is all over the place and X would not have changed that alot they are just to up and down.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Not academics? Not sure of your meaning.
None of them are going there to become PhDs . . . or professors.

DUKE sure recruited as an NBA launch pad later in Coach K's career. Early on, my guess is that K used the connections a student made at DUKE to sell the school . . . as a differentiator from UCLA, Indiana, UCONN, Ohio State, or UNC. I think Collins is doing that at NW at this time of the program's development.

Just responding to you saying that injuries are no excuse for not winning the conference because everyone had injuries. No one knows what would have actually happened without IU's injuries.
That’s not exactly what I said but will leave it at that as this isn’t going anywhere

The X injury hurt but injury excuses kind of get old to listen too. Every team I can think of other than Purdue had injuries at some point this year they had to deal with. Would we have a few more wins with X ? Maybe? Who knows this team is all over the place and X would not have changed that alot they are just to up and down.
I tend to agree. X had great contributions but neither he nor the team played consistently. It’s pure speculation to say this team would dominate if all bodies were healthy. Would have been interesting to see.

Taking the 2nd-best player off any team for 20+ games makes that team worse, not better. Especially a Sr. PG. It just does.
Arguing against your point is either ignorant, or disingenuous...or both.

Its either obvious at the macro level you said...or it becomes MORE obvious when you start peeling back specifically what we lacked without X in the lineup, and how we played without him.

Having him as the tip of the spear defensively would have easily equated to 3-4 more wins. 4 more wins, and we're B10 outright champions, and likely looking at a 2 seed.

Arguing against your point is either ignorant, or disingenuous...or both.

Its either obvious at the macro level you said...or it becomes MORE obvious when you start peeling back specifically what we lacked without X in the lineup, and how we played without him.

Having him as the tip of the spear defensively would have easily equated to 3-4 more wins. 4 more wins, and we're B10 outright champions, and likely looking at a 2 seed.
That’s my assessment as well in bold. Likely both NW games, the away IA game, and the MD game are wins with a healthy X in the lineup for the entire season.

Reactions: Beorik
Here's my take on this years team. Keeping in mind that this is so much guesswork that it hardly qualifies as an opinion. That said, I'm kicking off another week on my own today, so why not chime in.

My guess is that this roster is ill fitted for the style of defense that Woody wants to play (particularly without X). As long as we don't face an opponent who can figure out how to expose our weaknesses, we can look pretty good at times. Often, though, even in games that we win, we get lit up here and there, but in the losses we can't stop the bloodletting and the offense can't keep up.

My other guess is that, unless we get a very fortunate draw, we'll run into a team that can put us on our heels really quick. I'm hoping that we can finally get some hardware in the BTT that way this group will have something to hang their hat on. I really like this group of players and think they've done really well considering they were brought in to play pack line D, which probably suits some of them much better.

Reactions: bawlmer
the slowly evaporating bench is my biggest complaint. JG dressed yesterday (or so it was stated here)...I saw him on TV, looked to be in uniform...but he just watched the game like the rest of us. JHS has to stay out of foul trouble...the 2nd foul in first half yesterday was ticky tac and unnecessary. Without X he has to stay on the court 35 min a game or until the game is secured....which is something we do not seem to know how to do.
"JHS has to stay out of foul trouble...the 2nd foul in first half yesterday was ticky tac and unnecessary."

Agree that JHS has to be cognizant of fouling... but to his defense.... McDaniels and Bufkin had their hands all over our guards all day long and no calls. That's what frustrates me.

But after re-reading what I posted, I feel that JHS did a fairly decent job of staying out of foul trouble this year over all.

Last edited:
Early season hype was that IU would win the B10 not come in second.

Did IU come in second based on how they took care of business all season or some help from other conference results?

Good grief, the conference is ALWAYS (except 75 and 76) a combination of what you do and what others do against each other.

You can argue injuries both ways since many teams deal with them for some portion of the season.

Are you stating here that this team lived up to the preseason hype that was loaded on them? If so, how do you explain Northwestern’s season? I don’t think they were even in the conversation

They didn't win the BT so they didn't meet the preseason picks but do you think those picks would have changed if the people picking would be told that Trayce had back issues, X missed enough games that they are redshirting him and there was other players that missed chunks of time?

I don't think it is a coincidence that to my knowledge, PU and NU did not have any injuries problems. When the league is as balanced as this year, that can be a big factor.

Here's my take on this years team. Keeping in mind that this is so much guesswork that it hardly qualifies as an opinion. That said, I'm kicking off another week on my own today, so why not chime in.

My guess is that this roster is ill fitted for the style of defense that Woody wants to play (particularly without X). As long as we don't face an opponent who can figure out how to expose our weaknesses, we can look pretty good at times. Often, though, even in games that we win, we get lit up here and there, but in the losses we can't stop the bloodletting and the offense can't keep up.

My other guess is that, unless we get a very fortunate draw, we'll run into a team that can put us on our heels really quick. I'm hoping that we can finally get some hardware in the BTT that way this group will have something to hang their hat on. I really like this group of players and think they've done really well considering they were brought in to play pack line D, which probably suits some of them much better.
Spot-on. We're doing pretty well defensively with our hold-overs (Race and Miller), but versatile guys (eg Chris Murray) give us fits. This should be Geronimo's off-season focus, become a defensive stopper. He has the body for it.

Let's cut down the nets in Chicago to break another curse and the rest from there is gravy.

Good grief, the conference is ALWAYS (except 75 and 76) a combination of what you do and what others do against each other.

They didn't win the BT so they didn't meet the preseason picks but do you think those picks would have changed if the people picking would be told that Trayce had back issues, X missed enough games that they are redshirting him and there was other players that missed chunks of time?

I don't think it is a coincidence that to my knowledge, PU and NU did not have any injuries problems. When the league is as balanced as this year, that can be a big factor.
You ask me what those prognosticators would think if they knew but you are judging with hindsight as well. The fact is that they didnt live up to the hype - insert your reason here For why that is. Should we hang a banner because they are in second place?

This has been an inconsistent team in the way theyve played to the effort given. I would love to have seen what could have been but some of you need to back off the “if it wasn’t for injuries IU would be in sole possession….” There no way to know that. We do know however that it was an inconsistent regular season.

Looking forward one of the best things I predict for IU Basketball version 2023-2024 will be Trey Galloway becoming that one player every team in the conference will despise. His basketball IQ is already top notch but when the speed of his thinking catches up to the speed of his play, Trey will be a thorn in the side of every opposing team.
Classic coach's kid

So you stating that this season’s results are solely due to injuries and without them, they’d clearly have met expectations/ hype and dominated the conference?

How do you explain the Iowa game where everyone was back except X and Geronimo (I believe) and still every other Iowa basket was a cut or backdoor cut?

Not every game this season can be excused away due to injuries.
Excuses or explanations?

Really this is not hard. It is not just losing X and Race for many games, but JHS was out, TJD played through major pain once he returned. JG still not playing. Really you are just being obtuse thinking you are some how holding a realistic view point.

Reactions: Al Bino and Beorik
Excuses or explanations?

Really this is not hard. It is not just losing X and Race for many games, but JHS was out, TJD played through major pain once he returned. JG still not playing. Really you are just being obtuse thinking you are some how holding a realistic view point.
Am I? With all of the injuries, why did they continue to play? There was no way for them to win.

Do the injuries explain the game at Rutgers? Iowa at home? Etc. Are injuries the excuse for everything that went wrong this season? I never claimed that injuries didn't have an impact but the injury excuse for all outcomes is a little too simplistic, even for us obtuse fans.

Am I? With all of the injuries, why did they continue to play? There was no way for them to win.

Do the injuries explain the game at Rutgers? Iowa at home? Etc. Are injuries the excuse for everything that went wrong this season? I never claimed that injuries didn't have an impact but the injury excuse for all outcomes is a little too simplistic, even for us obtuse fans.
I mostly agree about the injuries, My team is on the floor etc..

My brother suggested that I ask an actual coach that he follows on twitter to answer a few of my questions. I gave that a try, but I'm still perplexed about a few things concerning our D. The coach guy says that we're basically still running a form of pack line, which really makes some our analytics confusing... oh well

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT