ADVERTISEMENT

Early am tweet from Cig….

If you put 100 people in a room, you'd get 100 different definitions of LEO.
Absolutely! Which rendered it virtually meaningless. And with all of the portal activity and coaching changes I imagine the players and staff were equally confused. One quantifiable measure of LEO was how many players transferred out of the program. On the flip side were all the players who transfered in. Those that wanted out were not getting enough playing time. Those the transferred in were looking for more playing time and everybody was looking for immediate gratification. The locker room was like Grand Central station at the end of each season. None of this represented LEO.

Alabama grabs the strength and conditioning coaches, and eventually an offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator. With the benefit of hindsight it's pretty obvious that CTA was a huge benefactor of a strong coaching staff he rode to being elected the national coach of the year.

Everybody gets an extra year of eligibility and the Hoosiers followed up by losing every conference game the next season. And the literal answer to every press conference that next season was always the same - LEO. The wash out the following season - LEO. And then last season.... LEO. And then there was Tom Allen's exasperated body language, hunched behind a podium with a raspy, lost voice and no explanations other than LEO. It got to the point last year when the Hoosiers played some very tough competitive games the only thing that people came away with was another loss and LEO.

Don't get me started about the word of the year. I don't know how he said that every season with a straight face. And now CCC has to build a new culture while inheriting an Indiana roster that has only known losing. So he brings in 10 JMU transfers to help establish a new culture.

Yesterday I listened to Jim coyle and Don Fisher talk about the Hoosiers expecting to go to a bowl game next season. I'm giving CCC a free pass for next season and have absolutely no expectations. If he gets six wins next year he should be a candidate for Coach of the Year also.

Last edited:
Absolutely! Which rendered it virtually meaningless. And with all of the portal activity and coaching changes I imagine the players and staff were equally confused. One quantifiable measure of LEO was how many players transferred out of the program. On the flip side were all the players who transfered in. Those that wanted out were not getting enough playing time. Those the transferred in were looking for more playing time and everybody was looking for immediate gratification. The locker room was like Grand Central station at the end of each season. None of this represented LEO.

Alabama grabs the strength and conditioning coaches, and eventually an offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator. With the benefit of hindsight it's pretty obvious that CTA was a huge benefactor of a strong coaching staff he rode to being elected the national coach of the year.

Everybody gets an extra year of eligibility and the Hoosiers followed up by losing every conference game the next season. And the literal answer to every press conference that next season was always the same - LEO. The wash out the following season - LEO. And then last season.... LEO. And then there was Tom Allen's exasperated body language, hunched behind a podium with a raspy, lost voice and no explanations other than LEO. It got to the point last year when the Hoosiers played some very tough competitive games the only thing that people came away with was another loss and LEO.

Don't get me started about the word of the year. I don't know how he said that every season with a straight face. And now CCC has to build a new culture while inheriting an Indiana roster that has only known losing. So he brings in 10 JMU transfers to help establish a new culture.

Yesterday I listened to Jim coyle and Don Fisher talk about the Hoosiers expecting to go to a bowl game next season. I'm giving CCC a free pass for next season and have absolutely no expectations. If he gets six wins next year he should be a candidate for Coach of the Year also.
Wow, you must've had amazing inside access to know all of this with such certainty.

Actually his failing wasn't directly tied to LEO (which I like, a lot, by the way) but his twisting it to encompass a weird version of "never having to say you're sorry" morphing into zero real accountability for constant on field errors by both players and staff sure was...
I’d be more apt to buy the “LEO” culture when I come across another highly successful coach who has demonstrated it works over time. The best coaches, almost anywhere you look, are hard nosed and demanding. In any sport. They make you uncomfortable by pushing you to levels even you don’t think you can get to. LEO just seemed, I don’t know, almost soft to me.

I’d be more apt to buy the “LEO” culture when I come across another highly successful coach who has demonstrated it works over time. The best coaches, almost anywhere you look, are hard nosed and demanding. In any sport. They make you uncomfortable by pushing you to levels even you don’t think you can get to. LEO just seemed, I don’t know, almost soft to me.
John Wooden has entered the chat.

Expect to find red “LEO” ball caps at Bloomington garage sales soon…next to those of Sam Wyche’s modernized, crimson “IU” pitchfork.

Allen lost me when he acted like they won the Big 10 championship when the beat Akron.
I admit, that was embarrassing. On the other hand, I don't blame him for feeling relieved that he'd dodged a major bullet.

I can't fault Allen's enthusiasm - that's who he is. But some moderation would have been nice.

in the end, LEO never really left.
It’s playing out across the parking lot in SSAH. No accountability.
Miss some free throws? No problem. Pat on the butt. Mistakes repeat. Repeat again. Ho -hum. No urgency.

That has always pissed me off. Miss and you get an attaboy pat? WTF??? If I was ever a coach that would stop. How about you hit the fing FT and then get back on defense?

Wooden knew about Gilbert, didn't like it, but apparently did nothing to stop it. He knew that helped his team gain success. He was at UCLA for 16 seasons before finally winning a title.
It seems to me if Wooden didn’t like it he could/would/should have stopped it. He didn’t and that says something to me about a character flaw of his that no one talks about. Wooden wasn’t the saint the media portrayed him to be. Ever wonder why Knight and Wooden never got along? Knight could smell the cheaters.

I admit, that was embarrassing. On the other hand, I don't blame him for feeling relieved that he'd dodged a major bullet.

I can't fault Allen's enthusiasm - that's who he is. But some moderation would have been nice.
I appreciate you looking for and finding some positives. Good attitude.
But I think you could've stopped after "that was embarrassing".

Reactions: vesuvius13
This is really poor leadership. Or maybe it’s better to say it’s a poor management skills.

Keep that stuff in-house. Tell a player he’s soft. Call him a pussy to his face. Whatever. Putting it on blast like that is ego driven.

Right or wrong, he’s also fixin to find out that the power dynamic has shifted significantly in favor of the players vs coaches over the last few years.

He better win and win quick. Because he is going to lose a locker room in a hurry if they lose.
You are questioning the leadership of a guy that has been successful as a leader everywhere he has been? Okay, Copernicus.

I hate to tell you this but if you watch the Kirby Smart interview at the Orange Bowl he was asked a question about winning or success or something and his response was because the players Love Each Other. Additionally I believe Kane Wommack also adapted that mantra at South Alabama.

I hate to tell you this but if you watch the Kirby Smart interview at the Orange Bowl he was asked a question about winning or success or something and his response was because the players Love Each Other. Additionally I believe Kane Wommack also adapted that mantra at South Alabama.
NO! That can't be! If they love each other, they are SOFT! They CANNOT be successful! :cool:

Reactions: nichlee

Then you're still expecting Ciginifcent improvement?:)

This is really poor leadership. Or maybe it’s better to say it’s a poor management skills.

Keep that stuff in-house. Tell a player he’s soft. Call him a pussy to his face. Whatever. Putting it on blast like that is ego driven.

Right or wrong, he’s also fixin to find out that the power dynamic has shifted significantly in favor of the players vs coaches over the last few years.

He better win and win quick. Because he is going to lose a locker room in a hurry if they lose.
I don't think its as significant as it could be. I remember the saying that if you blame everyone you blame no one.

No persons were named … as soft … or slackers … business management assesses the performance of their charges … as a matter of course … underachievement needs to be challenged … I’d bet dollars to doughnuts CCC told the team he has high expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT