ADVERTISEMENT

Early am tweet from Cig….

This is really poor leadership. Or maybe it’s better to say it’s a poor management skills.

Keep that stuff in-house. Tell a player he’s soft. Call him a pussy to his face. Whatever. Putting it on blast like that is ego driven.

Right or wrong, he’s also fixin to find out that the power dynamic has shifted significantly in favor of the players vs coaches over the last few years.

He better win and win quick. Because he is going to lose a locker room in a hurry if they lose.

This is really poor leadership. Or maybe it’s better to say it’s a poor management skills.

Keep that stuff in-house. Tell a player he’s soft. Call him a pussy to his face. Whatever. Putting it on blast like that is ego driven.

Right or wrong, he’s also fixin to find out that the power dynamic has shifted significantly in favor of the players vs coaches over the last few years.

He better win and win quick. Because he is going to lose a locker room in a hurry if they lose.
It's what you call separating the wheat from the chaff

Those players not able to handle Bob Knight’s public belittling stayed little.

I think most serious players can handle a tough, demanding, but fair coach. A coach who's just an egotistical asshole will lose the locker room. I'm not at all saying CCC is the latter, but you're right that at this point it's all talk. Proof will be the results on the field.

It's what you call separating the wheat from the chaff
I think he's making it easy for those teetering on the edge to quit... He'd rather have them do it now then when it's fourth and goal in The Bucket Game...

I predict that Its gonna be a long rough 7 months before Kick Off next Fall...

The "the Coach is a crazy mean SOB" narrative smooths things out with the girlfriends parents and keeps extended friends and family from asking detailed uncomfortable questions... He's doing them a favor...

Come on, this isn’t junior league football.
It transcends sports.

Everyone should learn to take a good old ass chewin. There’s a big difference between your boss chewing you out in the office calling you out. It’s another to do it in front of all of your coworkers.

His job is to win. It's easier with a full stadium. A stadium fills when fans are confident that they'll be entertained and likely to win. There are multiple prongs to this. You could knock me over with a feather if he didn't tell the players this to their faces before he tweeted it. Fans need to know that he realizes our expectations have been embarrassingly low. He's sick of losing before he's even lost. I like that.

His job is to win. It's easier with a full stadium. A stadium fills when fans are confident that they'll be entertained and likely to win. There are multiple prongs to this. You could knock me over with a feather if he didn't tell the players this to their faces before he tweeted it. Fans need to know that he realizes our expectations have been embarrassingly low. He's sick of losing before he's even lost. I like that.
Truth. Wait to see how fans react when he starts calling us soft with a loser mentality.

He’d be right, of course. But a lot of the “old school” folks are going to have a whole different perspective when they’re the butt of it.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Guy talks a big game. "I win - - google me." "I've never taken a back seat to anyone and I'm not about to start now." "I am stalking softness and will eliminate it in every area so that we have the opportunity to stalk complacency." For all his outspokenness, I don't remember Knight talking with this degree of brashness and chest-thumping.

I agree with you. I don't see the need for these public pronouncements. Show us on Saturdays, dude.

Go Hoosiers!

It transcends sports.

Everyone should learn to take a good old ass chewin. There’s a big difference between your boss chewing you out in the office calling you out. It’s another to do it in front of all of your coworkers.
If more than 2 of the coworkers of the same ilk then it must be said in front of everyone. The 1's getting the work done will stay. The 1's that don't better leave on their own. Because now everybody knows. Which is the purpose of this exercise in the 1st place. Git on the train or git off the track.

Guy talks a big game. "I win - - google me." "I've never taken a back seat to anyone and I'm not about to start now." "I am stalking softness and will eliminate it in every area so that we have the opportunity to stalk complacency." For all his outspokenness, I don't remember Knight talking with this degree of brashness and chest-thumping.

I agree with you. I don't see the need for these public pronouncements. Show us on Saturdays, dude.

Go Hoosiers!
That you mention coach Knight, I think back to the famous locker room talk chewing them out. I think one of the quotes were hoe “you will not effing do that to me!” So he was open to doing that in the locker room but, like you said, I don’t recall him ever talking like that in public.

I think he's making it easy for those teetering on the edge to quit... He'd rather have them do it now then when it's fourth and goal in The Bucket Game...

I predict that Its gonna be a long rough 7 months before Kick Off next Fall...

The "the Coach is a crazy mean SOB" narrative smooths things out with the girlfriends parents and keeps extended friends and family from asking detailed uncomfortable questions... He's doing them a favor...
This is likely the answer to why. He mentioned that he likes when players he didn't want enter the portal because he just won't allow them to come back....making it easier

We also know that we have more changes to the roster coming due to appearing to have more than 85 scholarship players and some spots we want to improve still.

Meaning cigs is going to need some players to leave and this may be a nudge for those that he doesn't think are fully committed to what he wants

Last edited:

He didn’t tell a player he is soft. He said that softness would be rooted out. If a player feels called out than that would be their problem. Now is the time to set the expectation. He isn’t chastising anyone. How his players and coaches rally around him would be a strong indication that he knows how to balance his blunt communication with how he administers his team environment. We have been a soft team. It has been a public display the last couple of falls. No need to keep it in house.

He didn’t tell a player he is soft. He said that softness would be rooted out. If a player feels called out than that would be their problem. Now is the time to set the expectation. He isn’t chastising anyone. How his players and coaches rally around him would be a strong indication that he knows how to balance his blunt communication with how he administers his team environment. We have been a soft team. It has been a public display the last couple of falls. No need to keep it in house.
No kidding, exactly right.

Those cautioning that this needed to be kept in the locker room, should name names.

Who was called out? Or, more revealing, name which player thinks that they were just publicly called out even without coach naming names?

There was nothing wrong, and a lot right, with that tweet.

I would agree. That tweet was for the fans, not the players. He's trying to build exitement for what has recently been a very unexciting program. He wants a full, loud stadium not 20,000 empty seats.

It transcends sports.

He’s not singling anyone out in public. Basically just announcing there’s a new sheriff in town. All in or all out. I like it.

If you’re a soft player, this tweet is upsetting.

If you’re a tough player willing to do anything to win football games, you freaking love this tweet. Nothing is more annoying than a soft ass teammate that you can’t trust.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT