ADVERTISEMENT

From the Rose Bowl to a dinky Soccer stadium

Between that practice facility on the lake and new stadium, Northwestern is spending big $ on football.

I’m surprised they don’t have the 2024 home schedule laid out already. Seems like an important thing to plan. I guess they are confident they can mix and match as needed. Wild.

Just about the wildest contrast you could have in your first two road games. The Grandaddy to a Peepsqueak.
Why in the world don't they just play it here as their Home game? It's not like we have anything close to a "home field advantage"... The bulk of our fans don't even bother to come inside from their Tailgate and many of the rest leave at halftime no matter what the circumstances...

If the NW Athletic Department had any sense they'd just negotiate the gate ($$$) and move on with their lives...

Why in the world don't they just play it here as their Home game? It's not like we have anything close to a "home field advantage"... The bulk of our fans don't even bother to come inside from their Tailgate and many of the rest leave at halftime no matter what the circumstances...

If the NW Athletic Department had any sense they'd just negotiate the gate ($$$) and move on with their lives...
What amazes me is they are building their new stadium on the SAME SITE as the old one.

That place was a bitch to find parking. I thought they were going to move it close to their practice facility.

What amazes me is they are building their new stadium on the SAME SITE as the old one.

That place was a bitch to find parking. I thought they were going to move it close to their practice facility.
Maybe about 20 years ago I went to a game there with my friend and his son. We parked near Lake Michigan and walked to the stadium, which was a long distance away. We got a break because one student on a bicycle had a seating cart behind him and hauled us the final mile. We didn't get that same luck on the way back.

Maybe about 20 years ago I went to a game there with my friend and his son. We parked near Lake Michigan and walked to the stadium, which was a long distance away. We got a break because one student on a bicycle had a seating cart behind him and hauled us the final mile. We didn't get that same luck on the way back.
That is a hike!

The L itself is not that fun, but game day at Wrigley is always fun.
The game was a 12-2 rout for the Marlins and Stanton hit a mammoth homer clear out of the stadium. That was only my second Wrigley game. The first was in 1975 against the Mets when Felix Millan hit a line drive foul off Paul Reuschel into the first base seats, hitting a beer vendor in the leg and the ball landing in front of me. He said something like "Good catch, you so and so."

Last edited:
If the NW Athletic Department had any sense they'd just negotiate the gate ($$$) and move on with their lives..
There is no gate to negotiate. Conference game revenues are pooled and redistributed. Indiana(and Northwestern) get a bump over what they contribute while the Big Three (UM, PSU, OSU) get less.

To another point elsewhere in this thread…. planning was hampered by two different sets of realignment. When Washington and Oregon joined, every potential schedule had to be redone, further complicated by the intricate puzzle of equitable travel needs of everyone. Conference dates for 25 and 26 are still being figured out (and may be meaningless if the ACC implosion brings in Florida State and others) and 24 dates were announced only 100 days or so ago.

The game was a 12-2 rout for the Marlins and Stanton hit a mammoth homer clear out of the stadium. That was only my second Wrigley game. The first was in 1972 against the Mets when Felix Millan hit a line drive foul off Paul Reuschel into the first base seats, hitting a beer vendor in the leg and the ball landing in front of me. He said something like "Good catch, you so and so."
You got to see Paul pitch? That’s cool. He plays golf in my winter league here in the south. He is a great guy.

Reactions: red hornet
That's TV revenue. I have to believe the gate receipts are the host's to keep.

Non-conference games revenues are the sole property of the home time (minus whatever guarantees/fees are contracted to the visitors).

PSL (whatever the terminology is used - a seat license requiring a one-time or annual payment in order to purchase season tickets) are also 100% the purview of the school.

Conference game ticket costs are pooled and resdistributed using a different proportion than the TV revenue, that is divided equally (including an extra share paid to the conference office).

The last report I read was 35% of net gate receipts (sales tax exempted) with a minimum of $300k and max cap of $1 million per game. That money was pooled and split equally. The big schools (OSU, Michigan, PSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin lost about $1 million in revenue per year,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT