ADVERTISEMENT

Dusty May….

How is coaching not a problem? I mean everybody should be held accountable. I mean there has to be a reason these kids are afraid to shoot three's or that Gunn and Banks haven't developed or know what there roles are. Maybe if we lose a close one to Ohio State Woodson and Buckner will light some more cigars.

Reactions: mohoosier
How is coaching not a problem? I mean everybody should be held accountable. I mean there has to be a reason these kids are afraid to shoot three's or that Gunn and Banks haven't developed or know what there roles are. Maybe if we lose a close one to Ohio State Woodson and Buckner will light some more cigars.
I have a few concerns about CMW but none of them include when he smokes cigars. Can we drop this already?

I dont care about the dumb cigars honestly. Its the development which is concerning.

Reactions: Neildouglass
I swear it looks like a massive rebuild next year. Maybe every year is in this day and age, but I look at this roster and only see a couple guys I’d want back.
If you look at the teams that have won the last few championships you don’t see a rebuild every season. You see solid returning players and upperclassmen with any hole plugged with a freshman or transfer.

Last edited:
X is done. Walker is done. Ware won’t be back.

If Im coaching I’d take any of the others back.

But definitely Reneau, Galloway, Mack, Cupps, and Newton.

McNeeley will be a welcomed addition. As would Queen and Davis.

Depending on how many others leave, I’d fill the roster out with versatile, 2 way guards and wings via the portal. Cast a wide net. Take the first 2-3 starter level guys that can defend and make plays offensively.

And Woody needs to look for players that are consistently solid on both ends of the floor. He hasn’t shown he can coach that in to a team yet. So he probably needs to seek out guys that have a higher chance of doing it on their own.
I think that is accurate. My concern would be Malik and MM hitting the portal if Woodson can’t quickly show a strong rebuild. McNeely helps, but this program is crying for a foundation of experienced talented guards and wings. Woodson counted on growth from CJ and Banks that didn’t happen. Huge mistake. So this is all on his failed talent assessment in conjunction with disappointing coaching acumen.

I think that is accurate. My concern would be Malik and MM hitting the portal if Woodson can’t quickly show a strong rebuild. McNeely helps, but this program is crying for a foundation of experienced talented guards and wings. Woodson counted on growth from CJ and Banks that didn’t happen. Huge mistake. So this is all on his failed talent assessment in conjunction with disappointing coaching acumen.
I'd be genuinely curious what Woody and Armond saw to convince them Gunn and Banks were ready to step up. BTW, I didn't know much about ol' once-a-season-technical-foul Armond. Career assistant with one exception: Columbia University - 8 Years, 72-141 (.338 winning percentage) Hmmmm...

I'd be genuinely curious what Woody and Armond saw to convince them Gunn and Banks were ready to step up. BTW, I didn't know much about ol' once-a-season-technical-foul Armond. Career assistant with one exception: Columbia University - 8 Years, 72-141 (.338 winning percentage) Hmmmm...
I don't know anything about him either but sometimes guys can be good assistants but not good head coaches. See Tom Allen. Again I'm not saying that's the case here.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Yep

I hope we don't have that many assholes attend the games.
to this, you and I agree completely. I don't like the X booing....the sarcastic cheers on a made free throw. Chanting May's name during an IU home game....the optics can't get much worse than that. Recruits see this, hear this, and think "F#ck that, I'm not going to play in front of these jagoffs".

shooting off on a free board is one thing. Booing X at home or chanting for a new coach, in the gym, during a home game......bad stuff.

to this, you and I agree completely. I don't like the X booing....the sarcastic cheers on a made free throw. Chanting May's name during an IU home game....the optics can't get much worse than that. Recruits see this, hear this, and think "F#ck that, I'm not going to play in front of these jagoffs".

shooting off on a free board is one thing. Booing X at home or chanting for a new coach, in the gym, during a home game......bad stuff.
I don't think we're anywhere near chanting a coach's name; that's just venting on here. Not sure how many of the students even know who Dusty May is. And while it sucks, cheering a made FT after some of the "shooting" we've seen is kind of funny.

Was unfortunately yes... not a good showing for sure CMW will get it straightt.
Give him another extension. He brings in talent. 3 five star players in the roster isn't another 5 star coming? I doubt there is another BIG team with that many. Purdue's best player was ranked 436, probably no stars.

I don't think we're anywhere near chanting a coach's name; that's just venting on here. Not sure how many of the students even know who Dusty May is. And while it sucks, cheering a made FT after some of the "shooting" we've seen is kind of funny.
cheering the FT made...yeah ok. I did laugh a little.
But booing X....just makes the current situation worse for him.

I would hope Woodson has some thick skin he coached the Knicks and NY fans are crazy. I have no problem with booing and not showing up because that shows the administration that shit has hit the fan.

cheering the FT made...yeah ok. I did laugh a little.
But booing X....just makes the current situation worse for him.
I think Woody's got to make a decision with X. I think he's going to continue to pout if you don't start him. I think there are basically 2 options: sit him down and say everybody makes mistakes, but he's gambled a lot on him, so he's going to 1) hit the reset button and start him, but no more questionable fouls, talking, etc... Try and convince him to play it straight and go out on a high note, or 2) suspend or cut him.

If he's the biggest attitude problem with the team, then #2 is the correct course.

bump! As the bad losses pile up, we are going to need to start considering chanting "DUSTY MAY" at home games.
So these are honest questions. How long does CDM get to right the ship? I've been told on this site that with NIL and the portal, the argument of a whole recruiting cycle for a coach no longer holds water. So he doesn't get three, four, five years right?

If there is a mass exodus, if it's a rebuild from the start, does May get a Tom Crean like pass his first season? Second?

I've seen a lot of comments about hiring an alum and the pitfalls of doing so. I feel like some of the folks who've said that are big supporters of hiring May. Is there something different with May that makes his more different?

I've really wanted Woodson to succeed because you know, that's who IU hired. If May gets the call, I'll be as big as Dusty May supporter as you'll find. I'm just kind of worn out by this whole process of rapid coaching turnover at IU.

So these are honest questions. How long does CDM get to right the ship? I've been told on this site that with NIL and the portal, the argument of a whole recruiting cycle for a coach no longer holds water. So he doesn't get three, four, five years right?

If there is a mass exodus, if it's a rebuild from the start, does May get a Tom Crean like pass his first season? Second?

I've seen a lot of comments about hiring an alum and the pitfalls of doing so. I feel like some of the folks who've said that are big supporters of hiring May. Is there something different with May that makes his more different?

I've really wanted Woodson to succeed because you know, that's who IU hired. If May gets the call, I'll be as big as Dusty May supporter as you'll find. I'm just kind of worn out by this whole process of rapid coaching turnover at IU.
IU will hopefully eventually get it right. They have hired one good coach since Knight. Sampson

Not coming on here to say that Dusty May is the next coming of Bob Knight , but FAU won tonite . They played well down the stretch ,and won by 9 .

Good call.
Did you know he was a student manager here in ‘95? You pair that with a Final Four appearance and it guarantees to fix all of our issues immediately. Hiring Dusty May feels like buying a product from an infomercial.

Did you know he was a student manager here in ‘95? You pair that with a Final Four appearance and it guarantees to fix all of our issues immediately. Hiring Dusty May feels like buying a product from an infomercial.

That's basically what I'm thinking. Bring him in, five him a pass for a season, start expressing your buyer's remorse if the second season doesn't meet the expectations that are every IU fan's birthright.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I have no idea if Dusty May is the answer, but depending on when we are looking for a new coach, I think he should be interviewed. That's been my gripe about our hires back to Sampson: I think we fixated on one guy at some point, and didn't conduct an exhaustive search. If we focused on one guy, RMK would've never been hired.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
Looking at the box score it looks like FAUs top 3 guys are juniors. One is from Indiana. Could he bring them here next year? Won't happen but would be an instant fix. If he could keep Liam and Reneau it could be a top 10 team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT