ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan

Read plenty rarely post, but today is the kind of day I’m inclined to join in. Heard JMV say a while ago he is hearing Donovan might be the guy. I looked at Donovan’s Wikipedia page and the following caught my eye (along with his excellent resume):

However, in late May, the NBA's Orlando Magic offered Donovan their head coaching job to replace Brian Hill, who has been fired after two consecutive losing seasons. Donovan struggled with the decision until June 1, when he agreed to accept the Magic's contract offer, which was reportedly worth $27.5 million over five years.[31] Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley contacted Anthony Grant, Donovan's former assistant who was the head coach at Virginia Commonwealth University at the time, to inquire about his interest in replacing Donovan at Florida.[32]

Donovan held an introductory press conference in Orlando on June 1 followed by an emotional farewell press conference in Gainesville later the same day. On the morning of June 2, 2007, Donovan began having second thoughts about his decision, and he soon informed Jeremy Foley and the Magic front office that he had changed his mind about leaving Florida.[33] After failing to change his mind back, the Magic came to an agreement with Donovan to release him from his contract on June 7, leaving him free to rejoin the Gators basketball team.

Maybe wishful thinking, but that kind of tells me maybe his heart really isn’t in the NBA. He would certainly qualify as the Home Run hire fpeaugh mentioned!
What does Donovan lnow about basketball?

His forte is "Electrical Bananas", right?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donovan_Leitch_(actor)

Donovan is too flaky...how many programs would this make for Steve if he comes to IU?

If Alford isn't flakier than Donovan it must mean that he had no choice because those programs wanted Alford to move on.

Think about that for a second.

We have people clamouring for a coach that programs HOPE we take him off their hands.

Does Wichita State want Marshall to leave? Is Dayton counting down the days that the dark cloud known as Archie Miller finally gets out of town? I'm as Florida happy as hell that Donovan finally took that NBA job so they could get Mike White?

Westbrook is not a factor in Donovan's decision to stay, IMO. OKC likely struggles to be any better than they are now and will likely be forced to move Westbrook before he walks. With Durant, OKC was competing for titles. They are probably heading for a rebuild.

If Billy D. were to come to IU, I would expect it be longterm. If he wants to coach in NY then why would he even accept the IU job. Syracuse probably opens up before his OKC deal is up. He strikes me as someone who does things right. He is not going to recruits kids then bolt for NY after a couple of years.

Maybe he is sold on being an NBA guy. The Nets and Knicks will probably be available within a couple of years. Philly could be attractive to him. He could just wait it out at OKC where he is settled in rather move 2 times.

Westbrook is not a factor in Donovan's decision to stay, IMO. OKC likely struggles to be any better than they are now and will likely be forced to move Westbrook before he walks. With Durant, OKC was competing for titles. They are probably heading for a rebuild.

If Billy D. were to come to IU, I would expect it be longterm. If he wants to coach in NY then why would he even accept the IU job. Syracuse probably opens up before his OKC deal is up. He strikes me as someone who does things right. He is not going to recruits kids then bolt for NY after a couple of years.

Maybe he is sold on being an NBA guy. The Nets and Knicks will probably be available within a couple of years. Philly could be attractive to him. He could just wait it out at OKC where he is settled in rather move 2 times.

Thank you for telling me what is or isn't a factor in Donovan's mind. You two must be quite close to be privy to that information.

Read plenty rarely post, but today is the kind of day I’m inclined to join in. Heard JMV say a while ago he is hearing Donovan might be the guy. I looked at Donovan’s Wikipedia page and the following caught my eye (along with his excellent resume):

However, in late May, the NBA's Orlando Magic offered Donovan their head coaching job to replace Brian Hill, who has been fired after two consecutive losing seasons. Donovan struggled with the decision until June 1, when he agreed to accept the Magic's contract offer, which was reportedly worth $27.5 million over five years.[31] Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley contacted Anthony Grant, Donovan's former assistant who was the head coach at Virginia Commonwealth University at the time, to inquire about his interest in replacing Donovan at Florida.[32]

Donovan held an introductory press conference in Orlando on June 1 followed by an emotional farewell press conference in Gainesville later the same day. On the morning of June 2, 2007, Donovan began having second thoughts about his decision, and he soon informed Jeremy Foley and the Magic front office that he had changed his mind about leaving Florida.[33] After failing to change his mind back, the Magic came to an agreement with Donovan to release him from his contract on June 7, leaving him free to rejoin the Gators basketball team.

Maybe wishful thinking, but that kind of tells me maybe his heart really isn’t in the NBA. He would certainly qualify as the Home Run hire fpeaugh mentioned!
Let's hope Russell and a few other key players let it be know that they will be leaving OKC.

Donavan would be a home run hire for the Hoosiers no doubt about it. If I were a IU fan I would be hoping the administration at IU goes after Donavan relentlessly. Billy D would have Indiana back amongst the elite of college basketball within a few years.

If Donovan were to come back, IU would be a program he would look at. He could be looking at free agency and not sure if Westbrook will be around
What does Donovan lnow about basketball?

His forte is "Electrical Bananas", right?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donovan_Leitch_(actor)
From a single source with ties to a firm that has done work for the IU AD office, I'm hearing there is interest from Donovan. Billy's response to a question didn't try to end the speculation. For that matter, neither did Steve Alford's comment. Fred's commented they will pay to get the person they want may spark interest from some we think are untouchable. This doesn't include Stevens. He is a Lebron injury away from a possible NBA Final. He will have a long NBA run. Unless he misses Indiana and hates Boston (couldn't blame him),he ain't coming back.

Donovan has no connection to Indiana, doesn't give a chit about Indiana, and would bolt back the the NBA for money.

Alford is one of our own. He knows the state, recruits very well, and wins over 70% of the time. Not to mention conference championships and tourney championships. He gets Indiana basketball, and if Dakich is telling the truth.... wants to coach Indiana.

And lets face it, if he hadn't played for Indiana, he wouldn't give a chit about the IU job.

Alford over Donovan every damn day and twice on Sunday.
Jesus Christ!

Isn't Syracuse already have a coach in the waiting?

Donovan has no connection to Indiana, doesn't give a chit about Indiana, and would bolt back the the NBA for money.

Alford is one of our own. He knows the state, recruits very well, and wins over 70% of the time. Not to mention conference championships and tourney championships. He gets Indiana basketball, and if Dakich is telling the truth.... wants to coach Indiana.

And lets face it, if he hadn't played for Indiana, he wouldn't give a chit about the IU job.

Sorry, you would be wrong...

Alford has a few Sweet 16's in 20 years. Mediocrity at its finest. He's another Crean and IU would be in a bigger mess because how are you going to fire Alford?
I don't think so because Alford has won the Big 10 tournament and since he has coached at smaller schools you can't count those years because SW Missouri St and New Mexico aren't even mid major programs. I guess if Donovan coached IUPUI you would expect sweet 16's all the time. You make no sense what so ever but I get it you are not a Alford fan.

Not trying to be rude here, but you understand that every program at every school in the country reports secondary violations every single year, right? There is a huge difference between major infractions and secondary violations. There is literally no one we could hire, other than a first time coach or some assistants, that hasn't reported secondary violations. Bob Knight's staff reported secondary violations. His teams also had players involved with drug and alcohol issues.
I have to give you credit rbb, you can smell any IU insult and are standing ready to defend IUs honor...even when the poster was being facetious and pointing out exactly your point...IU has its share of trouble, what Billy has done isn't worse than we have seen here..seen and quickly forgave

Lol dude slow down on the shots

I don't think so because Alford has won the Big 10 tournament and since he has coached at smaller schools you can't count those years because SW Missouri St and New Mexico aren't even mid major programs. I guess if Donovan coached IUPUI you would expect sweet 16's all the time. You make no sense what so ever but I get it you are not a Alford fan.
That's nonsense. Gregg Marshall has done pretty well at midmajors.

Perhaps Alford wouldn’t give a chit about IU had he not played here, but I’m betting most here wouldn’t give a chit about Alford had he not played at IU as well.

No offense Les, but I'm soooo tired of this refrain. Here's the truth... Yes I care because Alford's an Indiana guy... and Wittman... and Woodson... and Fife.. and whoever else. Guess what else I'm an Indiana guy. I want Indiana to beat the world in basketball!

To me and my flock, bringing in the McDonald's All-America team and Coach K to win while wearing Indiana uniforms is hollow as hell. Mercenary work just does not do it for me.

I get it though. You and most others don't care in the least as long as IU hangs a banner in the rafters. I know that is the way that Indiana is going to operate from here on out, but if we keep sucking like we have for the last 17 years, I will blame my opposition fans every single day from here on out. Not that you guys will care, but I'm sick and tired of this BS!!

No offense Les, but I'm soooo tired of this refrain. Here's the truth... Yes I care because Alford's an Indiana guy... and Wittman... and Woodson... and Fife.. and whoever else. Guess what else I'm an Indiana guy. I want Indiana to beat the world in basketball!

To me and my flock, bringing in the McDonald's All-America team and Coach K to win while wearing Indiana uniforms is hollow as hell. Mercenary work just does not do it for me.

I get it though. You and most others don't care in the least as long as IU hangs a banner in the rafters. I know that is the way that Indiana is going to operate from here on out, but if we keep sucking like we have for the last 17 years, I will blame my opposition fans every single day from here on out. Not that you guys will care, but I'm sick and tired of this BS!!

Soo...were you up in arms when Quinn Buckner or Isiah Thomas came to IU? Was Oladipo just a mercenary? Don't get me wrong, I would love to recruit the best from Indiana but I have no problem with bringing in other guys. Buckner is as much a Hoosier as Damon Bailey now. Winning matters.

Nah he seems too flaky. I had totally forgotten about that. He would leave IU for greener pastures in a NY minute... that is iffen he didn't change his mind about taking the IU job.

maybe but how many coaches leave college for the NBA, come back to college, and then go back to the NBA?

Reactions: bwd2338

i think anyone willing to take this job wants it. this isn't a 3 to 4 year and bounce type gig.

Reactions: russelltodd

You can be tired of the refrain. But what I don't see is much an argument from people that his results would be good enough at IU. I see the argument that his results will improve if he is at IU because he will be able to recruit better. Maybe that's true. But why not go after someone who has done better than he has?

In the end, I'll root for Alford if he is the coach. But there is no question to me that the fact that he is from IU is a huge reason why some people want him so badly. And that's just silly.

Alford is an average to above average coach with baggage. Its not happening. No one in their right mind would hire someone like that in the situation we're currently in. Why would they want the drama he brings with his baggage - its just dumb.

You can be tired of the refrain. But what I don't see is much an argument from people that his results would be good enough at IU. I see the argument that his results will improve if he is at IU because he will be able to recruit better. Maybe that's true. But why not go after someone who has done better than he has?

In the end, I'll root for Alford if he is the coach. But there is no question to me that the fact that he is from IU is a huge reason why some people want him so badly. And that's just silly.

After reading 7 trillion times posts saying "You only support such and such because he played here and had a sweet jumper" with each... and... every... one reading as if they are breaking new ground, I'm finally giving you guys what you want to hear.

You're damn skippy... I want an Indiana man leading IU basketball. I want Dan "the man" Dakich running this ship! I'll take the bow-legged wonder Randy Wittman over each and every non-IU guy out there... and my guys will whip that ass:)... or can you even say whip that ass nowadays?

Reactions: hondo314
maybe but how many coaches leave college for the NBA, come back to college, and then go back to the NBA?

Not many. But Calipari and Pitino both did college-NBA- back to college. But those two are pretty much interchangeable with Donovan. Seems like lots of people on this forum love Pitino/Donovan/Calipari .

After reading 7 trillion times posts saying "You only support such and such because he played here and had a sweet jumper" with each... and... every... one reading as if they are breaking new ground, I'm finally giving you guys what you want to hear.

You're damn skippy... I want an Indiana man leading IU basketball. I want Dan "the man" Dakich running this ship! I'll take the bow-legged wonder Randy Wittman over each and every non-IU guy out there... and my guys will whip that ass:)... or can you even say whip that ass nowadays?
If Donovan were offered a 7 year contract for 8 millon a year, I doubt very much that he would care about NBA,Cuse or anywhere else. He is most likely the kind of competitor to make IU the best place for recruits to be at. He has proven that he can not only win championships and recruit but I've never heard of any wrongdoing on his part either. He is an A+ get. Argue all you want but he is the main guy that can lift IU back up to elite status. Not even can one argue that point. Stevens or Mack would've been my only other options. If none can be had, Holtmann or Miller are next men up.My monies on Donovan. 90+ games a season will wear on you-ask Rickie P or Calapari.

That right there shows how stupid you are.

ehhh -- depending the day, i might agree.
Not many. But Calipari and Pitino both did college-NBA- back to college. But those two are pretty much interchangeable with Donovan. Seems like lots of people on this forum love Pitino/Donovan/Calipari .

yup. Billy could win titles at two diff schools just like his bball daddy. of course Cal will have won none once they take his away.

That's nonsense. Gregg Marshall has done pretty well at midmajors.
He has made a final how many times at WS. You act like he competes for sweet 16 runs every year at WS. You have to be the most clueless person in the world when it comes to basketball. Stick to your stats and keep making up excuses not to hire Alford.

Reactions: jaypay23

I want the best coach IU you can get. I could care less if they played at IU

this is one of the reasons i dig you, pater. you're a number cruncher but not afraid to ride your emotions when you see fit. good stuff!

Reactions: Paterfamilias

While i agree with your premise... to say SMSU (Now Mizzou State) and New Mexico "aren't even mid major programs" would be utterly false.

He has made a final how many times at WS. You act like he competes for sweet 16 runs every year at WS. You have to be the most clueless person in the world when it comes to basketball. Stick to your stats and keep making up excuses not to hire Alford.

That's exactly the level he "competes" at every year. He has lost in the second round several times, but I'm assuming you aren't really trying to develop any understanding.

put Pitino/Donovan/Calipari/Alford in a room. 3 of them can show their championship rings as coaches of a program

That said, the NCAA delivered a formal response to Pitino today saying he had some level of responsibility for not monitoring a coach bringing strippers into the players dorm.

put Pitino/Donovan/Calipari/Alford in a room. 3 of them can show their championship rings as coaches of a program

That said, the NCAA delivered a formal response to Pitino today saying he had some level of responsibility for not monitoring a coach bringing strippers into the players dorm.

How the hell is UNC not getting hammered? Not that this has anything to do with your response, was just curious.

Reactions: asindc
Maybe Glass can give him 6-7 million reasons to be happy in btown.

We are elite, why would it takes that much money to come to B Town? Amazing reek of desperation that would be if that's what it would take and would kill the we are elite meme immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT