ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan

Dec 5, 2001
Read plenty rarely post, but today is the kind of day I’m inclined to join in. Heard JMV say a while ago he is hearing Donovan might be the guy. I looked at Donovan’s Wikipedia page and the following caught my eye (along with his excellent resume):

However, in late May, the NBA's Orlando Magic offered Donovan their head coaching job to replace Brian Hill, who has been fired after two consecutive losing seasons. Donovan struggled with the decision until June 1, when he agreed to accept the Magic's contract offer, which was reportedly worth $27.5 million over five years.[31] Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley contacted Anthony Grant, Donovan's former assistant who was the head coach at Virginia Commonwealth University at the time, to inquire about his interest in replacing Donovan at Florida.[32]

Donovan held an introductory press conference in Orlando on June 1 followed by an emotional farewell press conference in Gainesville later the same day. On the morning of June 2, 2007, Donovan began having second thoughts about his decision, and he soon informed Jeremy Foley and the Magic front office that he had changed his mind about leaving Florida.[33] After failing to change his mind back, the Magic came to an agreement with Donovan to release him from his contract on June 7, leaving him free to rejoin the Gators basketball team.

Maybe wishful thinking, but that kind of tells me maybe his heart really isn’t in the NBA. He would certainly qualify as the Home Run hire fpeaugh mentioned!

Nah he seems too flaky. I had totally forgotten about that. He would leave IU for greener pastures in a NY minute... that is iffen he didn't change his mind about taking the IU job.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Nah he seems too flaky. I had totally forgotten about that. He would leave IU for greener pastures in a NY minute... that is iffen he didn't change his mind about taking the IU job.
Maybe but he was at Florida for a good while. Could be he finally took an NBA job because that's what good coaches are "supposed" to do but if he comes back to NCAA I'm betting/hoping he'd settle in for the long run.

Donovan has no connection to Indiana, doesn't give a chit about Indiana, and would bolt back the the NBA for money.

Alford is one of our own. He knows the state, recruits very well, and wins over 70% of the time. Not to mention conference championships and tourney championships. He gets Indiana basketball, and if Dakich is telling the truth.... wants to coach Indiana.

And lets face it, if he hadn't played for Indiana, he wouldn't give a chit about the IU job.

Alford over Donovan every damn day and twice on Sunday.

Yes Please also heard on fox sports radio Mike Decourcy said same thing. Also mentioned Alford, Mack, Miller, Marshall, and yuck Fred Hoiberg.

Was he at Florida that long? And only two titles? He's an underachiever, right?
Uh, yes he was there that long. Are...are you trolling? Bob Knight "only" won 3 titles in 29 years.

Donovan has no connection to Indiana, doesn't give a chit about Indiana, and would bolt back the the NBA for money.

Alford is one of our own. He knows the state, recruits very well, and wins over 70% of the time. Not to mention conference championships and tourney championships. He gets Indiana basketball, and if Dakich is telling the truth.... wants to coach Indiana.

And lets face it, if he hadn't played for Indiana, he wouldn't give a chit about the IU job.

You are either a terrible troll, or just off your rocker. If Donovan is an underachiever, what the hell is Alford?

Donovan seems like a Kentucky guy. Calipari/Donovan/Pitino all seem cut from the same cloth. He definitely seems like a better fit for an SEC gig.

Perhaps Alford wouldn’t give a chit about IU had he not played here, but I’m betting most here wouldn’t give a chit about Alford had he not played at IU as well.

Donovan seems like a Kentucky guy. Calipari/Donovan/Pitino all seem cut from the same cloth. He definitely seems like a better fit for an SEC gig.

Do you follow college basketball? Donovan turned down UK twice.

Let me guess, you want Alford...

Ok, THATS the last one lol

Reactions: RBB89
Cut from the same cloth how? What does that even mean? He played for Pitino at Providence and then was an assistant at UK for Pitino. If anything, he's a Pitino guy, and Rick certainly isn't a big UK fan anymore.

This thread really doesn't say much for the intelligence of our fanbase.

"Oh, Billy Donovan? Oh well we don't want him, he's from the northeast, unlike good ol' Stevie, mediocre resume be damned."

This conversation is assuming Donovan wants the IU job...

Why would he leave the NBA in the first place if he were just going to bolt back to it? And its not like he's coaching the 76ers or anything...he's coaching a back to back playoff team, with one of the most dynamic players on the planet right now. So if he chooses to leave that for IU and college, that tells me that he wants to be coaching in college. Again, he's already there, he's already making the money. If he continues to do well, and wants a better NBA job, he can have it, easier than coming back down to the college ranks.

No, if he makes the move for IU, I see it as a more permanent move to the college level. I guess there'd be some concern about him jumping to a Kentucky, Kansas, or Duke type of job if one of those opened up in a few years. But the rub there is he'd have to do well at IU first...and if he did that, IU would be more of a peer to those schools, he'd get huge money and lifetime like security, and he'd be a God in Indiana. Hard for him to follow people like K, Cal, and/or Self. He's a Pitino disciple, but I wouldn't worry about him wanting to follow him at Louisville once Pitino retires. Again, by then, IU would likely be looking down on Louisville.

I really doubt money is much of a factor here either. If Donovan is seriously in play, we'll have enough for him to take it. Because if he's seriously in play, it likely isn't about the money to start with...its likely that he just wants back in the college ranks. And if he starts making final fours, and even hanging banners, he'll basically get the key to the state of Indiana.

I think he'd be a huge success at IU. He's a national recruiter...not sure how involved he gets locally, so I don't know if he'd develop a strong relationship with the shakers in Indy or not...not sure that matters with his NY ties, and now his NBA ties, and his proven ability to land elite national talent. But I'm guessing all the Indy people are looking for is a guy they know will help their kids succeed and get to the next level.

Having said all this...I've been beaten down so much, I can't imagine this happening. I think we're in for Alford. And I can reluctantly get behind that. He's better than Crean was.

Reactions: BayernFan
Cut from the same cloth how? What does that even mean? He played for Pitino at Providence and then was an assistant at UK for Pitino. If anything, he's a Pitino guy, and Rick certainly isn't a big UK fan anymore.

This thread really doesn't say much for the intelligence of our fanbase.

"Oh, Billy Donovan? Oh well we don't want him, he's from the northeast, unlike good ol' Stevie, mediocre resume be damned."

All Three coached in some capacity at Kentucky
All Three coached in the NBA
All Three have had less than favorable things said about them (that they cheat)
All Three have been head coaches in the SEC. A conference that does things much differently than the Big Ten.

How far does Billy D bend rules? http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/11607/how-far-does-billy-d-bend-rules/

All Three have been head coaches in the SEC. A conference that does things much differently than the Big Ten.

How far does Billy D bend rules? http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/11607/how-far-does-billy-d-bend-rules/

So that link shows he “bends the rules” pretty much to the exact same extend of every successful coach. Does everything possible to be successful without crossing the line. Works for me.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
This conversation is assuming Donovan wants the IU job...

Why would he leave the NBA in the first place if he were just going to bolt back to it? And its not like he's coaching the 76ers or anything...he's coaching a back to back playoff team, with one of the most dynamic players on the planet right now. So if he chooses to leave that for IU and college, that tells me that he wants to be coaching in college. Again, he's already there, he's already making the money. If he continues to do well, and wants a better NBA job, he can have it, easier than coming back down to the college ranks.

No, if he makes the move for IU, I see it as a more permanent move to the college level. I guess there'd be some concern about him jumping to a Kentucky, Kansas, or Duke type of job if one of those opened up in a few years. But the rub there is he'd have to do well at IU first...and if he did that, IU would be more of a peer to those schools, he'd get huge money and lifetime like security, and he'd be a God in Indiana. Hard for him to follow people like K, Cal, and/or Self. He's a Pitino disciple, but I wouldn't worry about him wanting to follow him at Louisville once Pitino retires. Again, by then, IU would likely be looking down on Louisville.

I really doubt money is much of a factor here either. If Donovan is seriously in play, we'll have enough for him to take it. Because if he's seriously in play, it likely isn't about the money to start with...its likely that he just wants back in the college ranks. And if he starts making final fours, and even hanging banners, he'll basically get the key to the state of Indiana.

I think he'd be a huge success at IU. He's a national recruiter...not sure how involved he gets locally, so I don't know if he'd develop a strong relationship with the shakers in Indy or not...not sure that matters with his NY ties, and now his NBA ties, and his proven ability to land elite national talent. But I'm guessing all the Indy people are looking for is a guy they know will help their kids succeed and get to the next level.

Having said all this...I've been beaten down so much, I can't imagine this happening. I think we're in for Alford. And I can reluctantly get behind that. He's better than Crean was.

He has plenty of reasons to leave OKC, especially if he loves the college game. OKC isn't overtaking Golden State anytime soon and Russell Westbrook might ditch them this off-season. OKC is the firm 5-8 seed in the West for the foreseeable future and if Russell bolts, they're rebuilding from scratch.

I have Alford's cell number. I can text him to see what he's thinking so we can possibly eliminate him as a candidate. The OP can confirm this if needed.

Reactions: pdtkkg

Hopefully he won't have the violations Crean had. I believe he had a couple secondary violations.

Hopefully he won't have the drunks and druggies Crean had.

Hopefully he won't have the violations Crean had. I believe he had a couple secondary violations.

Hopefully he won't have the drunks and druggies Crean had.
Not trying to be rude here, but you understand that every program at every school in the country reports secondary violations every single year, right? There is a huge difference between major infractions and secondary violations. There is literally no one we could hire, other than a first time coach or some assistants, that hasn't reported secondary violations. Bob Knight's staff reported secondary violations. His teams also had players involved with drug and alcohol issues.

I have Alford's cell number. I can text him to see what he's thinking so we can possibly eliminate him as a candidate. The OP can confirm this if needed.

I'm Steve Alford's long lost brother. He told me last night that IU wants a coach with better credentials. Our mom can confirm this if needed.

Please tell me this is not a serious post.

Ummmmm. Bayern? He doesn't win "over 70% of the time."

Flaky? Hes had 3 head coaching jobs, and one sssistant job in like 23 years of coaching. He was at Florida for 19 years.

Was he at Florida that long? And only two titles? He's an underachiever, right?
Alford has a few Sweet 16's in 20 years. Mediocrity at its finest. He's another Crean and IU would be in a bigger mess because how are you going to fire Alford?

I thought UK tried to hire Donovan when they ended up hiring BG.
As a Kentucky fan, I wanted Donovan in 1997 and also 2007. Don't think we asked in '97 and think we were turned down in '07 and think that is why we wound up with BCG. Donovan would be a home run hire. I don't think your rivals will like the combo of Donovan and Indiana.

Not trying to be rude here, but you understand that every program at every school in the country reports secondary violations every single year, right? There is a huge difference between major infractions and secondary violations. There is literally no one we could hire, other than a first time coach or some assistants, that hasn't reported secondary violations. Bob Knight's staff reported secondary violations. His teams also had players involved with drug and alcohol issues.

Yes, I understand. It was a response to a ridiculous post about Donovan potentially being shady

I've been beating the Billy Donovan drum for a good while....and the responses were usually amusing....IU couldn't land BD....IU isn't good enough....He's a pipe dream...etc....I get all that...

But I believe that Billy Donovan is the first call you make...and make the absolute best offer that IU can make...Any other coach worth their salt would not only not be offended that they got the second call...they would feel pretty good about themself...right behind Billy Donovan....If they are offended...you are talking to the wrong guy anyway.

If Billy says no...and I think it would be a reluctant one....it sets the bar very high....makes a statement that this is what we want....Whoever can reach that high....welcome aboard.

I really want Billy Donovan to coach at Indiana....we would offer him as much as he would offer us....and he's a top 5 coach on any level.

Alford has a few Sweet 16's in 20 years. Mediocrity at its finest. He's another Crean and IU would be in a bigger mess because how are you going to fire Alford?

We fired Bob Knight and we just fired Tom Crean for not winning enough. We could fire Steve Alford, if it came to that.

Reactions: BayernFan

He left Florida because they promised him upgrades to the O'Connell Center and then blew it off to make major upgrades to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. He got tired of being lied to and left. If he was one to go to greener pastures, he would have went to Kentucky twice when they offered him the job, yet he refused

Last edited:
We fired Bob Knight and we just fired Tom Crean for not winning enough. We could fire Steve Alford, if it came to that.

Knight should have been fired long before he was. If he hadn't grabbed that kid, he'd probably still be at IU with no Sweet 16 trips the entire time.

Reactions: Thomtar
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT