ADVERTISEMENT

Done with Brunk

If Archie doesn’t start Thompson in his place in the next game he should be fired on the spot...
You can't be serious. Brunk has had some outstanding games this year. He's had a couple subpar games in a row. He's been a contributor with a hard nosed attitude and great hustle all year. There's no reason to dog the guy with emotional rants.

Reactions: MrBing
He shouldn’t start the rest of the year...
Brunk was playing defense against a guy who can put it on the floor, or shoot it. Brunk is used to playing defense in the post, i.e., flat-footed. It's problem enough in the post, but when he's on the perimeter playing defense flat-footed against a guy who can slash or shoot . . . nothing but a mismatch.

I don't know whether Brunk playing on the balls of his feet would allow him sufficient lateral movement to play perimeter defense, but if he's asked to play out there and isn't ready to do that he shouldn't be on the floor in that circumstance . . .

. . . but that doesn't mean he's worthless. It's a match up problem for the specific circumstance, not a roster decision.

Brunk was playing defense against a guy who can put it on the floor, or shoot it. Brunk is used to playing defense in the post, i.e., flat-footed. It's problem enough in the post, but when he's on the perimeter playing defense flat-footed against a guy who can slash or shoot . . . nothing but a mismatch.

I don't know whether Brunk playing on the balls of his feet would allow him sufficient lateral movement to play perimeter defense, but if he's asked to play out there and isn't ready to do that he shouldn't be on the floor in that circumstance . . .

. . . but that doesn't mean he's worthless. It's a match up problem for the specific circumstance, not a roster decision.

I’m not saying that he can’t contribute, just that he should not start...

Reactions: Wyohoosier1
I’m not saying that he can’t contribute, just that he should not start...
You said Archie should be fired if he starts him.

Brunk has struggled against physical or athletic post players. I believe he will be better against Haarms, Haarms isn't tearing it up right now. DD and Brunk can focus on him. That will allow TJD and Race to defend Williams. When purdue goes smaller, we can take advantage with Race/TJD/Smith.

The point being that he shouldn’t be a starter. I forgot that many folks on here can’t deal with hyperbole.
As this team is currently constructed, I like Brunk starting. Brunk seems to have of energy at beginning of the games and gets early points and rebounds. Thompson has a different type of game and provides energy and effort coming off the bench. With Thompson's Injury History and current level of endurance, let him come off the bench and provide 25-27 minutes per game, and let Brunk manage the rest of those minutes.

If Archie doesn’t start Thompson in his place in the next game he should be fired on the spot...
It depends on the situation ala the personnel on the other team. Brunk is effective against certain players. What Thompson has over Brunk is speed. Notice in the second half today Brunk got burned twice by faster players hence he didn't play again. Let's not give up on Joey. He is important to this team.

Brunk lacks talent, but he plays with heart and he is respected in the locker room. He elevates everyone on the team, particularly Trayce Jackson-Davis.

Reactions: Brockway
The point being that he shouldn’t be a starter. I forgot that many folks on here can’t deal with hyperbole.
With all the idiotic comments, I am not going try to guess who is dumb and who is a drama queen going overboard.

We won. Brunk's 6 minutes didn't cost us the game.

With all the idiotic comments, I am not going try to guess who is dumb and who is a drama queen going overboard.

We won. Brunk's 6 minutes didn't cost us the game.
I wonder if he could halve been sick?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT