ADVERTISEMENT

I've followed IU hoops since 90-91

Collier and Recker, who's transfers spelled the end for Knight. I'll never forget someone in the Collier camp (family?) posting on the old Indy Star forum how Jason never wanted to play in the paint at IU, right after we lost to KY because they dominated the paint. Dude is 7 foot and he doesn't want to help us battle KY on the boards. He transferred a week or so later.

Those 2 sucked the life from the program. If they didn't know what they were getting into with Knight at that point they either weren't paying attention or they were plain dumb.

Not even close to being one of the biggest busts at IU. Hell there’s two guys in his class alone who were bigger busts than Romeo all things considered.
A missed diagnosis as a "bust" at IU on my part, I guess, but when I watch these guys that come in out of hs labeled as "all world," I suppose as a fan and not a coach or NBA scout, I expect too much.

Baker had loads of potential and Cox was good. I forgot who the third one was. Baker,Marshall Strickland,Glen Grunwald[injury],Rick Calloway and Charlie Miller would be my top 5 disappointments.
Huh? Rick Calloway broke his arm his junior year and then transferred to Kansas. He later played in the NBA.

Reactions: yooperspartan
Huh? Rick Calloway broke his arm his junior year and then transferred to Kansas. He later played in the NBA.
I knew he broke his wrist the previous yr against Syracuse, but I didn't remember him breaking his arm the next yr. I thought he somehow got in RMKs doghouse. The emergence of Jay Edwards didn't help his situation.

Collier and Recker, who's transfers spelled the end for Knight. I'll never forget someone in the Collier camp (family?) posting on the old Indy Star forum how Jason never wanted to play in the paint at IU, right after we lost to KY because they dominated the paint. Dude is 7 foot and he doesn't want to help us battle KY on the boards. He transferred a week or so later.

Those 2 sucked the life from the program. If they didn't know what they were getting into with Knight at that point they either weren't paying attention or they were plain dumb.
Yeah, I can get in the 70's and early 80's guys not really knowing what they were getting in to but by then they should have.

Reactions: DANC
what a fk'd up thread, and many replies from posters who don't know sht about bball..
Actually a pretty decent thread. Many players that I haven’t thought about in years. Do I agree with all? No. But I also don’t bust their chops. Why don’t you enlighten all of us with your all knowing powers and historical wisdom instead of criticism?

Actually a pretty decent thread. Many players that I haven’t thought about in years. Do I agree with all? No. But I also don’t bust their chops. Why don’t you enlighten all of us with your all knowing powers and historical wisdom instead of criticism?

i provided "wisdom".

it was above your ability to grasp.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and Crayfish57
i provided "wisdom".

it was above your ability to grasp.
Well, you have proved that I have a pretty firm grasp. If your wisdom is to belittle others, and myself, then I don’t suffer fools. Either contribute sensibly, or stay off the thread. Post something that proves you have one iota of knowledge aside from calling out others shortcomings in your opinion.
For instance, Rich Valavicious was a disappointment to me. Ended up transferring to Evansville. Never fit RMK’s system. I can name several since the early 70’s through today for various reasons. Let’s hear your thoughts without judgement of others that post.

Cem Dinc, better known to my family as Clem Dinkus. At least he was seen on campus where Ivan Renko was invisible as though he didn't exist.

Mandeville was supposed to be big time rebounder. He must have played against a bunch of 5'-9" guys. Eggers was another roster filler but a little more useful than Priller. Priller reminded me of the kid in college that slept on your couch, ate your food and wouldn't go home.

• Haha
Reactions: BannerYear
Surprised no one has mentioned John Flowers, so I will. Big time rep and body for his time. Was the top recruit in the class with Dakich and Winston Morgan. In his 2nd season, left mid-year for UNLV.

Bracey Wright for how he didn’t improve his game at all after playing well his freshman year.

Hanner gotta be in the picture.

I recall Tommy Baker, but not well. Did he even make it through his first season?

Finally a Region trio of Bootsie White, Rich Valavicious and Delray Brooks.
Flowers- great memory. Almost forgot about his brief stop in Bloomington He could have been a good one for IU. Kinda like Patterson…was an athletic beast.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Well, you have proved that I have a pretty firm grasp. If your wisdom is to belittle others, and myself, then I don’t suffer fools. Either contribute sensibly, or stay off the thread. Post something that proves you have one iota of knowledge aside from calling out others shortcomings in your opinion.
For instance, Rich Valavicious was a disappointment to me. Ended up transferring to Evansville. Never fit RMK’s system. I can name several since the early 70’s through today for various reasons. Let’s hear your thoughts without judgement of others that post.

I don’t believe Valavicious transferred to Evansville. Marty Simmons did, as well as Jim Crews (from an RMK assistant to Evansville’s head coach) , but not Valavicious.

I knew he broke his wrist the previous yr against Syracuse, but I didn't remember him breaking his arm the next yr. I thought he somehow got in RMKs doghouse. The emergence of Jay Edwards didn't help his situation
I googled it. He was second team all big 10 in his junior year and broke his wrist in the national championship game against Syracuse. The following year he transferred to Kansas and played very well for the Jayhawks.

I googled it. He was second team all big 10 in his junior year and broke his wrist in the national championship game against Syracuse. The following year he transferred to Kansas and played very well for the Jayhawks.
He was a Soph when they beat Syracuse. Hurt his knee in the tournament. Not sure where he broke his arm before transferring to KU

Valavicious, a great player from Hammond High. Played quite a bit off the bench for IU’s ‘76 undefeated champs. He probably had the 3rd or 4th most minutes off the bench with Radford, Crews and Wisman.

The next year, abruptly left during the season as did a bunch of other guys (Midday, Cunningham, Trent Smock). Val’s IU roommate, Bob Bender, left for Duke before that ‘76-‘77 season even started (realized too much talent in front of him with Woody, Butch Carter, Cunningham coming in).

Valavicious Transferred to Auburn, where he had a good career mostly in the obscurity of the SEC of the time. Was a long time HS coach in Alabama.

Last edited:
Haner Mosquera-Parea (2012) was a borderline 5 star recruit. He was a heck of a dunker, but not much else. Eventually he was dismissed from the program for drugs.

Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
Wasn't the rumor was Giomi was banging a cheerleader who Knight was also doing?
That was a story that was a mantra among purdue grads for a couple of years.

The all time best though in the Indy area was their story about how Alford and Knight had both gotten students pregnant and the four (soon to be six) were moving in together in Elletsville.

I can still tell you the first person I heard that from...an Engineer for one of our BUs. He was a marginal CAD CAM guy, but we kept his soup-stained clip on tie ass around just for the entertainment and he was cheap.

Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
I’d have to say Charlie Miller. Might be misremembering some, but I think he was over 30PPG coming out of HS. Highly ranked and just never panned out. I see Patterson mentioned, but IIRC, he looked really good early on, then he had a knee injury. Wasn’t never the same after that.

I recall a nasty put-back dunk or something from him and how explosive he (Patterson) was. Lots of promise, but never quite the same after that injury. Maybe I have something mixed up, long time ago.

I would much prefer a thread of favorite IU players.
Not sure “favorite”. Best, yes. Most improved, yes. Best, at something (rebounding, shooting, etc. ), yes.

But have there been any (or many), threads about our “favorite” players?

Edit: I wasn’t trying to reply to myself. Meant to reply to @ulrey “You don’t think we’ve done that??”

I'll always remember Tommy Baker for blocking the big Russian's shot in the exhibition game at Assembly Hall.

That guy could get UP!
He certainly could. I remember a photo of him in the local Jeffersonville paper with his head at the rim practically looking down into the basket as he dunked it. Steve Hart was another unworldly athlete but not nearly as good a player as Baker.

I would not say biggest disappointment for me but I felt bad for Glen Grunwald. I met him and hung out a few times with him at IU. He blew out both of his knees prior to his freshman season.

He came in as the number 2 player in the country behind Bill Cartwright. Gave full effort but the legs would just not allow him to showcase his talent. He still has done well in life so good for him.

I’ve heard that Baker was supposedly better or just as good as Isaiah..?
Different player. Isiah was the perfect PG. Baker was more of a free-lancer.

But Baker had all-world potential. If he would have had 4 years under Knight, he'd have had a very good NBA career.

Reactions: 76-1
That was a story that was a mantra among purdue grads for a couple of years.

The all time best though in the Indy area was their story about how Alford and Knight had both gotten students pregnant and the four (soon to be six) were moving in together in Elletsville.

I can still tell you the first person I heard that from...an Engineer for one of our BUs. He was a marginal CAD CAM guy, but we kept his soup-stained clip on tie ass around just for the entertainment and he was cheap.
Never heard the one about Alford/Knight, but the Giomi/Knight story was pretty persistent. I worked in Columbus at the time, and it was a pretty hot rumor.

With Nancy and Bob's relationship, it wouldn't have surprised me.

Andre and Charlie would be up there., but Sherron was kicked off too early to say he was a big disappointment. Richard Mandeville & Jason Collier also fall into the Patterson/Miller timeframe as disappointments. Delray Brooks might’ve been the highest rated who was a complete bust, then again there was Lander just two years ago.

I think there have been more surprisingly good players.. guys like, Joe Hillman, Haris Mujezinovic, Juwan Morgan & Tom Coverdale.
Sherron Wilkerson suffered a spiral fracture to his leg in 1994 NCAA second round. IU made the sweet sixteen that year beating Ohio and Temple. That was Bob Knight’s last visit to Sweet Sixteen at IU, and at the time IU held the longest consecutive streak of making the Sweet Sixteen. 3 decades later we are hoping to make another. Thanks Fred Glass

Reactions: ulrey
Sherron Wilkerson suffered a spiral fracture to his leg in 1994 NCAA second round. IU made the sweet sixteen that year beating Ohio and Temple. That was Bob Knight’s last visit to Sweet Sixteen at IU, and at the time IU held the longest consecutive streak of making the Sweet Sixteen. 3 decades later we are hoping to make another. Thanks Fred Glass
Thanks Miles Brand!

Thanks Miles Brand!
The Brand bashing is such a lazy narrative.

Knight deserved to be fired. Obviously there are a lot of things they could have done differently...but what approach could they have taken where the Knight relationship would have ended amicably? And who's actually dense enough to think they didn't try to do that with him before they got in to the whole zero tolerance stuff??

I loved watching his teams play. The movement and intensity was awesome. But I had personal interactions with him on a couple of different occasions, and he was an unnecessary asshole. Genius basketball coach. Heart of gold for certain people, and certain causes and situations. Over the top, bullying, asshole to way too many people though.

Its hard to quantify how much longer he was at IU, than he probably should have been. But in my opinion, he had worn out his welcome. And he was never going to allow what needed to be done...to be done in a professional, courteous manner.

Now...the decision making AFTER firing Knight...that is something worth scrutinizing heavily.

Different player. Isiah was the perfect PG. Baker was more of a free-lancer.

But Baker had all-world potential. If he would have had 4 years under Knight, he'd have had a very good NBA career.
I saw both Isiah and Baker as a student. Both were good but Isiah was the best point guard I got to witness as a student although Magic Johnson might argue that. LOL

Baker got kicked off the team after the Alaska trip fiasco. Woodson survived and was my favorite player during my four years. We had a lot of good ones during that time.

As a freshman I ran face first into Kent Benson while checking out a nice female coed. He did not budge but I sure did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT