ADVERTISEMENT

I've followed IU hoops since 90-91

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
But for you more seasoned old timers, who IYHO, was the biggest dissapointment, flop
as an IU player? Recognition coming in and not living up to expectations?

For me it would have to be Andre Patterson, Sherron Wilkerson and Charlie Miller. All during the same time.
Andre had the impressive start to his freshman year, the 39 pt game vs Duke in NYC, but he finally played to his potential his final 5-6 games of his career. Sherron, well Coach had strong words for his potential but I feel the knee injury and the personality clash with Coach Knight while also being immature at the time (offcourt) did him in. Charlie? Tons of talent, but never considtently put it together. He is one of my all time favorites.

Reactions: Seyton
The 1970-1971 team for me (my freshman year) was extremely frustrating. Only preseason B10 team ranked and expected to win the conference and play in the tournament. It was McGinnis lone year in a Hoosier uniform and the team finished mid-pack in the B10. Only positive was that it ended Lou Watson's tenure that brought us the young "general".

Tommy Baker is the biggest individual bust in my opinion. Tons of potential just couldn't stay out of trouble both during and post-IU career. Believe he was on the inaugural McDonald's AA team with fellow Hoosier Ray Tolbert and Magic Johnson. Could make a case for Lyndon Jones or Delray Brooks as well.

Hard to say cuz the recruiting circuit wasn’t like it is today….Remember BK using Mike Giomi in some instructional videos cuz he was so fundamentally sound yet was in coach’s doghouse and transferred to NC State but don’t know how high he was ranked coming in

I go back to the early 70s, with very vivid memories of the 75 and 76 teams. But, to me the most disappointing player that I can remember, and I don’t even know if it’s even close, was Bracey Wright. I’m pretty sure that he wasn’t nearly as good when he left Indiana as he was when he got here. The first time I saw him play, I thought “this kid is going to be incredible, a poor man’s Kobe Bryant”. Unfortunately, his play deteriorated every year thereafter. I blame Coach Davis.

But for you more seasoned old timers, who IYHO, was the biggest dissapointment, flop

For me it would have to be Andre Patterson, Sherron Wilkerson and Charlie Miller. All during the same time.
Andre had the impressive start to his freshman year, the 39 pt game vs Duke in NYC, but he finally played to his potential his final 5-6 games of his career. Sherron, well Coach had strong words for his potential but I feel the knee injury and the personality clash with Coach Knight while also being immature at the time (offcourt) did him in. Charlie? Tons of talent, but never considtently put it together. He is one of my all time favorites.
Andre and Charlie would be up there., but Sherron was kicked off too early to say he was a big disappointment. Richard Mandeville & Jason Collier also fall into the Patterson/Miller timeframe as disappointments. Delray Brooks might’ve been the highest rated who was a complete bust, then again there was Lander just two years ago.

I think there have been more surprisingly good players.. guys like, Joe Hillman, Haris Mujezinovic, Juwan Morgan & Tom Coverdale.

Reactions: Seyton
The 1970-1971 team for me (my freshman year) was extremely frustrating. Only preseason B10 team ranked and expected to win the conference and play in the tournament. It was McGinnis lone year in a Hoosier uniform and the team finished mid-pack in the B10. Only positive was that it ended Lou Watson's tenure that brought us the young "general".

Tommy Baker is the biggest individual bust in my opinion. Tons of potential just couldn't stay out of trouble both during and post-IU career. Believe he was on the inaugural McDonald's AA team with fellow Hoosier Ray Tolbert and Magic Johnson. Could make a case for Lyndon Jones or Delray Brooks as

Tommy Baker is the biggest individual bust in my opinion. Tons of potential just couldn't stay out of trouble both during and post-IU career. Believe he was on the inaugural McDonald's AA team with fellow Hoosier Ray Tolbert and Magic Johnson. Could make a case for Lyndon Jones or Delray Brooks as well.
Tommy Baker also played on team USA‘s entry into the Albert Schweitzer games which was a big deal back in the day. Tommy was on that team with Magic Johnson and a host of NBA players and Tommy was named MVP.

I would have to agree with Patterson, Brooks and Collier as three on my list, too. I would add Lyndon Jones. He came in with Jay Edwards and was just not the huge points producer I thought he would be. Most recently, I would have to go with Romeo (especially his outside shooting and lack of defense) and maybe this is unfair due to him reclassifying, but Lander may have been the most overrated "kid" out of high school. My BIGGEST disappintment was NOT kidnapping Larry Bird🤣

Last edited:
Tommy Baker also played on team USA‘s entry into the Albert Schweitzer games which was a big deal back in the day. Tommy was on that team with Magic Johnson and a host of NBA players and Tommy was named MVP.
Baker caught a a bunch of felonies in multiple years for distributing cocaine, did several stretches in prison and died in his early 50s. Disappointed lots of people for more than just a poor basketball outcome.

Here's an old article from when he got booted off the team by RMK.

Last edited:
Reactions: larsIU and DANC

I'll always remember Tommy Baker for blocking the big Russian's shot in the exhibition game at Assembly Hall.

That guy could get UP!

Baker caught a a bunch of felonies in multiple years for distributing cocaine, did several stretches in prison and died in his early 50s. Disappointed lots of people for more than just a poor basketball outcome.

Good find. I remember reading that article. Baker didn't blame Knight at all. Those were some turbulent times. The recruits who came in after '76 assumed all they had to do was show up and they'd win. They didn't have near the mental toughness of the '75-'76 teams.

Hard to say cuz the recruiting circuit wasn’t like it is today….Remember BK using Mike Giomi in some instructional videos cuz he was so fundamentally sound yet was in coach’s doghouse and transferred to NC State but don’t know how high he was ranked coming in
Wasn't the rumor was Giomi was banging a cheerleader who Knight was also doing?

Albert’s bar was set pretty low.

Albert’s bar was set pretty
Albert’s bar was set pretty low.
Are you saying Baker was slumming playing in that game with Magic?

The sorta funny thing about Mandeville is that in today's game his outside shooting ability for a big would be a hotter commodity than what is was back then.

90s were a bad decade for a handful of the bigs we were expecting big things from.

Add in Lindeman, Funderburke, and Collier.

Then the real kick to the nuts. Montross taking six figures, under the table, probably, to go to Carolina.

Big Al Henderson was the man thank gawd.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
List...can't really pick a singular player for such a thing. I vaguely remember the 87 team, and run. The Edwards years I remember a few more things. Cheaney years are when my love was permanently galvanized. So with that in mind...

Pat Graham...I remember seeing him in the HS Final Four at Market Square, and for me, he was the highest profile recruit in that class. He showed flashes, but injuries obviously derailed what could have been much more.

Wilkerson...I remember being so excited to see him play. And then often so frustrated that he wasn't doing "more".

Patterson...He still had a solid career, but not what his his potential was.

Miller...Similar to Wilkerson for me. Highly touted, was so excited to see him play, always frustrated he didn't do more.

Collier...He was in my senior class. He dunked, hard, on me in one of the barnstorming tour games I played in with them. I was certain he was going to be monster at IU.

Recker...So much talent. Wish he had stuck it out with Guyton, Lewis, and Fife.

Bracey Wright...great start...decent stats...horrible team player.

Man...its amazing how my memory of IU players during the later Davis years isn't very sharp.

Next one might jump all the way to guys like Lance Stemler...then even forward to Jeremy Hollowell and Hanner Perea. Stemler was a highly rated JUCO guy that shot the ball like Tamar Bates, never seemed to feel comfortable at IU. Hollowell and Perea were highly rated, that didn't pan out.

I don't view Romeo as a failure now, as much as I did at the time. I think history shows that Archie was so bad for IU, and for Romeo specifically, that I give him a pass.

Lander...Can't think of a more overrated kid coming out of HS...even though he reclassified.

Baker had loads of potential and Cox was good. I forgot who the third one was. Baker,Marshall Strickland,Glen Grunwald[injury],Rick Calloway and Charlie Miller would be my top 5 disappointments.

Last edited:

I’ve heard that Baker was supposedly better or just as good as Isaiah..?

Besides Tamar Bates?

Baker had loads of potential and Cox was good. I forgot who the third one was. Baker,Marshall Strickland,Glen Grunwald[injury],Rick Calloway and Charlie Miller would be my top 5 disappointments.
Good call on Rick Calloway. I don't know what happened his jr year, but he had superstar written all over him his first 2 years.

I would have to agree with Patterson, Brooks and Collier as three on my list, too. I would add Lyndon Jones. He came in with Jay Edwards and was just not the huge points producer I thought he would be. Most recently, I would have to go with Romeo (especially his outside shooting and lack of defense) and maybe this is unfair due to him reclassifying, but Lander may have been the most overrated "kid" out of high school. My BIGGEST disappintment was NOT kidnapping Larry Bird🤣
Romeo was a lottery Pick after one year. So not sure he was a bust

I saw Baker in a gym scrimmage pre-season with players like Ray. He seemed like a natural born leader, with great physical talent. But sadly, just couldn't get it together upstairs.

The sorta funny thing about Mandeville is that in today's game his outside shooting ability for a big would be a hotter commodity than what is was back then.

90s were a bad decade for a handful of the bigs we were expecting big things from.

Add in Lindeman, Funderburke, and Collier.

Then the real kick to the nuts. Montross taking six figures, under the table, probably, to go to Carolina.

Big Al Henderson was the man thank gawd.
The Montross payments were extremely well hidden. I never heard about it till just now. But it's on the internet right here on my cell phone so it must be true.

Reactions: UncleMark
List...can't really pick a singular player for such a thing. I vaguely remember the 87 team, and run. The Edwards years I remember a few more things. Cheaney years are when my love was permanently galvanized. So with that in mind...

Pat Graham...I remember seeing him in the HS Final Four at Market Square, and for me, he was the highest profile recruit in that class. He showed flashes, but injuries obviously derailed what could have been much more.

Wilkerson...I remember being so excited to see him play. And then often so frustrated that he wasn't doing "more".

Miller...Similar to Wilkerson for me. Highly touted, was so excited to see him play, always frustrated he didn't do more.

Collier...He was in my senior class. He dunked, hard, on me in one of the barnstorming tour games I played in with them. I was certain he was going to be monster at IU.

Man...its amazing how my memory of IU players during the later Davis years isn't very sharp.

Next one might jump all the way to guys like Lance Stemler...then even forward to Jeremy Hollowell and Hanner Perea. Stemler was a highly rated JUCO guy that shot the ball like Tamar Bates, never seemed to feel comfortable at IU. Hollowell and Perea were highly rated, that didn't pan out.

I don't view Romeo as a failure now, as much as I did at the time. I think history shows that Archie was so bad for IU, and for Romeo specifically, that I give him a pass.

Lander...Can't think of a more overrated kid coming out of HS...even though he reclassified.
How could I forget Hanner?😮

Reactions: stollcpa
I’ve heard that Baker was supposedly better or just as good as Isaiah..?
I was just starting my coaching career in central IL when Baker was in high school so admittedly didn’t see him much. There are many who to this day say he’s still the best (high school) player to come out of that part of the state, which is really saying something.

He was probably a little overshadowed by Ray Tolbert who won Mr. Basketball that year, but he was extremely touted en route to Bloomington.

Reactions: stevea and ulrey
Good enough pro where defense is not a priority. I thought he played "lazy" for IU and was an obvious defensive liabilty. The stretch when he was injured, our team defense imoroved, imho.
Not even close to being one of the biggest busts at IU. Hell there’s two guys in his class alone who were bigger busts than Romeo all things considered.

Good enough pro where defense is not a priority. I thought he played "lazy" for IU and was an obvious defensive liabilty. The stretch when he was injured, our team defense imoroved, imho.
That’s fine but to be defined Bust…see Lander, Hanner.

Surprised no one has mentioned John Flowers, so I will. Big time rep and body for his time. Was the top recruit in the class with Dakich and Winston Morgan. In his 2nd season, left mid-year for UNLV.

Bracey Wright for how he didn’t improve his game at all after playing well his freshman year.

Hanner gotta be in the picture.

I recall Tommy Baker, but not well. Did he even make it through his first season?

Finally a Region trio of Bootsie White, Rich Valavicious and Delray Brooks.

Last edited:

tiny GIF

• Haha
Reactions: hookyIU1990

Lance Stemler? Is this a joke?

The worst "bust" ever, J Rivers, ever and forever. Lander was an All American compared to this guy here on daddy's name only.

I was just starting my coaching career in central IL when Baker was in high school so admittedly didn’t see him much. There are many who to this day say he’s still the best (high school) player to come out of that part of the state, which is really saying something.

He was probably a little overshadowed by Ray Tolbert who won Mr. Basketball that year, but he was extremely touted en route to Bloomington.
The worst "bust" ever, J Rivers, ever and forever. Lander was an All American compared to this guy here on daddy's name only.
I agree that Rivers was a big disappointment. I always thought that his main problem was that he had no idea how good he could’ve been. He had the tools, just no idea how to use them.

That’s fine but to be defined Bust…see Lander, Hanner.
A total "bust" was a miscalculation on my part. Would've liked to see RL stay another year, but as you mentioned, he was good enough to be a one and done lottery pick. Most players previously mentioned in this thread stayed all four years and never improved.

Reactions: bsmitty08
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT