ADVERTISEMENT

building a program with one night stands

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Eric Gordon is the Hoosiers most successful one and done. The 7th draft pick in the first round lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Arkansas. Of course Kelvin Sampson scuttled the program so who knows if he would have stuck around..

Noah Vonleh's Hoosiers missed the NIT tournament.

Romeo Langford's Hoosiers made the NIT tournament but he opted not to play due to injury.

With the benefit of hindsight none of these players made a lasting positive impact on the Hoosier basketball program. And each of the following years the Hoosiers had to begin another rebuilding program

If JHS decides to go pro, that will probably cement next year as another rebuilding program start.

Trivia question: How many five-star high school players played in the final four this weekend?

Answer: ZERO

Eric Gordon is the Hoosiers most successful one and done. The 7th draft pick in the first round lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament to Arkansas. Of course Kelvin Sampson scuttled the program so who knows if he would have stuck around..

Noah Vonleh's Hoosiers missed the NIT tournament.

Romeo Langford's Hoosiers made the NIT tournament but he opted not to play due to injury.

With the benefit of hindsight none of these players made a positive impact on the who's your basketball program. And each of the following years the Hoosiers had to begin another rebuilding program

If JHS decides to go pro, that will probably cement next year as another rebuilding program start.

Trivia question: How many five-star high school players played in the final four this weekend?

Answer: ZERO
he has already announced and hired an agent. I'm not sure of people with the idea that this is great and will bring players to IU train of thought. JHS is no Eric Gordon by any means

Wasn’t Evan Fitzner a one and done for IU too? We brought him in with only 1 yr of eligibility, and he played with Romeo. At least Romeo put up numbers.

Perhaps when talking about the five star one and dones, we should also talk about the portal ones. And that swings both ways: The players we bring in that can only play one year, and the ones that we lose to the portal.

In all fairness, I don’t think Woodson or perhaps even JHS thought he’d be a one and done. The potential was there and the opportunity, with X out, made it possible.

Reactions: 82hoosier
So OP prefers 2-3 star players like the football team gets, so they stick around for 4-5 seasons??

It's going to be very rare for program changing players to stick it out the full scholarship.

This is the way.

Reactions: kkott
In all fairness, I don’t think Woodson or perhaps even JHS thought he’d be a one and done. The potential was there and the opportunity, with X out, made it possible.
I don't think is true at all. In fact, there was much buzz about JHS being very impressive before the season even started. There was nearly as much buzz around JHS being one and done as there was Romeo being one and done.

There's no way that CMW would've been surprised in the least that JHS went pro after one year.

Reactions: kkott
I don't think is true at all. In fact, there was much buzz about JHS being very impressive before the season even started. There was nearly as much buzz around JHS being one and done as there was Romeo being one and done.

There's no way that CMW would've been surprised in the least that JHS went pro after one year.
I don’t think there was any shock that JHS wanted the quickest route possible to the NBA coming in to IU, but at the same time he’d have to perform at an extremely high level to earn a first round grade to make leaving after a year a distinct possibility. Obviously he performed at that level this season to make it a reality but it also wasn’t a guarantee.

Wasn’t Evan Fitzner a one and done for IU too? We brought him in with only 1 yr of eligibility, and he played with Romeo. At least Romeo put up numbers.

Perhaps when talking about the five star one and dones, we should also talk about the portal ones. And that swings both ways: The players we bring in that can only play one year, and the ones that we lose to the portal.
He came in to help spread the floor on offense and shoot the three. 6'10 tall from St Mary's. He averaged two rebounds and three points again and averaged about 10 minutes.

Max Bielfelt was a home run transfer for the Hoosiers. Crean had dismissed a couple of players and Max was unhappy with his playing time at Michigan. So with one season of eligibility left he transferred to the Hoosiers and wound up as the Big 10 sixth Man of the Year. He was as responsible as anyone for the Hoosiers being the Big 10 regular season champs.

Reactions: dr.jb

I just wished he had stayed in school another year.

I will never forget Fitzners game against Marquette. Wow! His and Rob Phinisee's. Them both dissapeared rest of the season vbg.

When I read the title on this thread, I thought it was a book on recruiting written by Rick Pitino

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT