ADVERTISEMENT

Did Roberts and Barrett jump ship?

I agree with him. A sovereign country should be able to stop illegal immigration - control its borders. I’m all for legal immigration but it must be controlled. This is a big problem for Biden.
Who said we shouldn't stop illegal immigration? I didn't. I said we should stop referring to these migrants as "an invasion." It's ugly language that leads to an uglier mindset.

Reactions: UncleMark
Who said we shouldn't stop illegal immigration? I didn't. I said we should stop referring to these migrants as "an invasion." It's ugly language that leads to an uglier mindset.
We're catching people who are on the terror watch list. That's enough for me to ok with the use of a word like "invasion".

We need to fix our immigration system and allow people to enter lawfully and within a reasonable time frame.

I agree with him. A sovereign country should be able to stop illegal immigration - control its borders. I’m all for legal immigration but it must be controlled. This is a big problem for Biden.
Apprehensions at the border are up under Biden.

Much of the issue is the untrue republican narrative of the situation pretending like Biden and dems are just letting them in.

Of course, Trump is ordering the house to block the senate bill that is trying to help with the border issue.

We're catching people who are on the terror watch list. That's enough for me to ok with the use of a word like "invasion".

We need to fix our immigration system and allow people to enter lawfully and within a reasonable time frame.
No one uses "invasion" only to refer to the small percentage who are terrorists. You know it, I know it, everyone here knows it. No one should be okay with it.

Just too bad that it appears the house republicans will block a bill that is addressing the border issue.

It's a problem that you think that, too.
It’s a problem that you don’t. The reality is that it poses a tremendous security threat. Your stance may be sit back and wait until something happens & wonder what went wrong, but some of us are more interested in preventative measures. The amount of crime attributable to these folks is significant, as are the resources it takes to transport, house, etc.

The fact that these folks are being put up in hotels & fed while we have homeless citizens everywhere is appalling. There are an estimated 35k veterans of our military out on the street, yet the people that aren’t here legally are sucking resources that should be used to benefit our citizens.

It’s a problem that you don’t. The reality is that it poses a tremendous security threat. Your stance may be sit back and wait until something happens & wonder what went wrong, but some of us are more interested in preventative measures. The amount of crime attributable to these folks is significant, as are the resources it takes to transport, house, etc.

The fact that these folks are being put up in hotels & fed while we have homeless citizens everywhere is appalling. There are an estimated 35k veterans of our military out on the street, yet the people that aren’t here legally are sucking resources that should be used to benefit our citizens.
I didn't say anything about sitting back and waiting. We can do something about security without demonizing people.

I'm starting to see a new problem here.

Biden's border patrol has apprehended more than Trump's did. Seems like he is doing a better job.

Let's see if republicans allow the bill to go through that would help the issue. If republicans block it then will you admit that they don't really care about the border but only care about the political benefits.

No one uses "invasion" only to refer to the small percentage who are terrorists. You know it, I know it, everyone here knows it. No one should be okay with it.
One of the meanings of invasion is an unwelcome intrusion. That checks out, but you see it as you want…

Biden's border patrol has apprehended more than Trump's did. Seems like he is doing a better job.

Let's see if republicans allow the bill to go through that would help the issue. If republicans block it then will you admit that they don't really care about the border but only care about the political benefits.
What about the bill will help the issue? Are there any drawbacks, riders, other line items that the R’s are objecting?

I don't "know it". We obviously disagree.

We need immigration. Our system is broken and needs to be fixed. As it is, we have both skilled and unskilled people (who can actually contribute to our society) languishing in a system that serves very few relative to demand.

Hundreds of thousands illegally crossing every year is an invasion, regardless of how you want to parse words. Would calling it an intrusion or incursion make you feel better?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I don't "know it". We obviously disagree.

We need immigration. Our system is broken and needs to be fixed. As it is, we have both skilled and unskilled people (who can actually contribute to our society) languishing in a system that serves very few relative to demand.

Hundreds of thousands illegally crossing every year is an invasion, regardless of how you want to parse words. Would calling it an intrusion or incursion make you feel better?

I would call it more taxable income opportunities lol

So you don’t support what’s going on at the border and you have no issue with doing something about it, you’re just upset with what everyone is calling it.

Does that about sum it up?

It's more about what you're calling it says about how you're thinking of it.
Does the word "invasion" place a value judgement on the people invading or their motivations? Western settlers were seen as invaders by Indians the allied powers were seen as invaders when they landed in normandy.

Civil War is trending on twitter. If this Texas border dispute spirals into Civil War, dream team is welcome to rally at my place where I will book us a party bus to Fort Worth. I will have snacks and beer but you need to bring your own weapons and ammunition, or we can stop once we get south of the Mason-Dixon where all you need to purchase is a library card. Once we get to Fort Worth we will link up with the Junior Senator from the state of Texas to receive our orders.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Civil War is trending on twitter. If this Texas border dispute spirals into Civil War, dream team is welcome to rally at my place where I will book us a party bus to Fort Worth. I will have snacks and beer but you need to bring your own weapons and ammunition, or we can stop once we get south of the Mason-Dixon where all you need to purchase is a library card. Once we get to Fort Worth we will link up with the Junior Senator from the state of Texas to receive our orders.

In!! All but a few of the dream team have a cdl too.

• Haha
It's actually not the way. As much as I understand the frustration felt by Abbott and Texas, ignoring Supreme Court rulings is a path towards chaos.

After Dobbs, many many irresponsible and promiscuous people were extremely upset. Yet, the ruling was followed. Roe was no longer the law of the land.

Would you be okay with rogue doctors performing late term abortions in Florida and Texas? Planned Parenthood staffs loading up on weaponry to fight the authorities that have come to shut them down?

Dbm = Alina Hanna ??

Not even smart enough to be that dumbass lawyer.
A Yale Law grad here says Texas is complying with the order.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
A Yale Law grad here says Texas is complying with the order.

Yeah, I was wrong. We will look back at Abbott's actions during the Biden administration wrt immigration as some of the greatest political maneuvering in a long time. From the bussing to sanctuary cities to this latest declaration he is raising the profile of this issue in a way not seen before. Putting the problem in the lap of those who created. If we get video of DHS employees cutting razor wire and taking down barricades that is very bad optics for Biden.

Well done Wheels. God Blessed Texas.

Yeah, I was wrong. We will look back at Abbott's actions during the Biden administration wrt immigration as some of the greatest political maneuvering in a long time. From the bussing to sanctuary cities to this latest declaration he is raising the profile of this issue in a way not seen before. Putting the problem in the lap of those who created. If we get video of DHS employees cutting razor wire and taking down barricades that is very bad optics for Biden.

Well done Wheels. God Blessed Texas.
god bless texas. florida and texas both just get it. they should merge. FLEXAS. the ultimate flex

• Haha
You said it’s ugly language that leads to an uglier mindset.

I don’t get it. What’s the “ugly mindset” that you’re referring to?

Are you implying racism? If so, just come out and say it.
Racism is always a possibility, but no, I'm not trying to imply that. I've already made my concern very explicit at the very beginning of this conversation: invasions are things that enemies do. The migrants are not enemies. There may be a handful of enemies among them, but they are not, as a group, enemies, and we shouldn't think of them that way. So inasmuch as a particular person might be more likely to view someone of a different race as an enemy, I guess that's in play, but my concern would stand if 100% of illegal migrants coming into the US were lily white.

There is now nothing in this world I want more than to see Cruz actually sport the chops.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT