ADVERTISEMENT

Did Roberts and Barrett jump ship?

Stuffshot

Hall of Famer
Feb 20, 2008
No detail but here's the SCOTUS ruling in the Texas Razor wire case:

As you can tell, Barrett and Roberts voted with the 5-4 majority. Here's a news story on it:

Maybe SCOTUS will not be an automatic 6-3 every time.

No detail but here's the SCOTUS ruling in the Texas Razor wire case:

As you can tell, Barrett and Roberts voted with the 5-4 majority. Here's a news story on it:

Maybe SCOTUS will not be an automatic 6-3 every time.
The court rarely votes on party lines. It's just that those cases are the only ones in the news.

The court rarely votes on party lines. It's just that those cases are the only ones in the news.
Not from this case, but I've changed my mind about Gorsuch -- I previously thought I had seen signs that he might be an independent thinker. I'm starting to think he'll blindly fall in line with Thomas most all of the time.

This will just push Trump up another couple of points in the polls.

He'll make hay off of this.

[sarc]It's like the SCOTUS wants him to be president [/sarc]

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
This will just push Trump up another couple of points in the polls.

He'll make hay off of this.

[sarc]It's like the SCOTUS wants him to be president [/sarc]
Now he's talking about othter countries (no names of course just "the ones you've never heard of") opening up their insane asylums and sending their people here.

Buckle up everyone.

So true and we have so many people telling us the conservatives and liberals always vote as a block.

Is it generally the same conservative justices that sometimes go to the other side?

For example, it seems like Roberts is more likely to be non-political than say Thomas or Alito.

Some justices being able to put party politics aside doesn't mean all are able to do so.

Not from this case, but I've changed my mind about Gorsuch -- I previously thought I had seen signs that he might be an independent thinker. I'm starting to think he'll blindly fall in line with Thomas most all of the time.

Perhaps GOAT is right and the court, while politicized to a degree, still remains grounded on fundamental law?

Gorsuch is a rock star on the court. I have no clue why you would think he is not an independent thinker. And you are clueless if you think agreement with Thomas means any thing more than agreement with Thomas.

What's the rationale for this? That Texas is interfering with the feds efforts on the border? Or that it's the duty of the feds vs the state? Without getting into the politics, was just wondering.

What's the rationale for this? That Texas is interfering with the feds efforts on the border? Or that it's the duty of the feds vs the state? Without getting into the politics, was just wondering.

I'm guessing some of the stuff may have been seen as inhumane in addition to interfering with fed agents doing their job.

Reactions: Bill4411
I'm guessing some of the stuff may have been seen as inhumane in addition to interfering with fed agents doing their job.
Makes sense. I don't know how this mess gets fixed unless there is some leadership to create an orderly and efficient process for people to enter legally.

Makes sense. I don't know how this mess gets fixed unless there is some leadership to create an orderly and efficient process for people to enter legally.
1.1 million green cards issued in 2022, I’m sure it went up in 2023. What do you believe the number should be? Show your work.

Reactions: jet812

The Senate is working on passing a bipartisan plan that includes addressing the border. Trump has directed the House to ignore it.

Reactions: Bill4411
Is it generally the same conservative justices that sometimes go to the other side?

For example, it seems like Roberts is more likely to be non-political than say Thomas or Alito.

Some justices being able to put party politics aside doesn't mean all are able to do so.
I'm not sure but I would guess you are correct. I would guess the same liberal judges are more likely to switch to the other side but I also not sure about that... both are guess. Let's face it.... there's right and then farther right and left and farther left. That would be something interesting to see.

The Senate is working on passing a bipartisan plan that includes addressing the border. Trump has directed the House to ignore it.
Of course he wants the house to ignore it. If it looks like something is being done, pubs lose their biggest talking point for the election. If the house does ignore it, and Dems are actually aggressive about it, there will be a million ads saying “we tried to fix the border and pubs said no”.

Of course he wants the house to ignore it. If it looks like something is being done, pubs lose their biggest talking point for the election. If the house does ignore it, and Dems are actually aggressive about it, there will be a million ads saying “we tried to fix the border and pubs said no”.

If i was in charge of dems, that would be my strategy.

It's what i have been saying for a while. Pubs don't want to fix the border because it is such a great tool for getting elected.

If i was in charge of dems, that would be my strategy.

It's what i have been saying for a while. Pubs don't want to fix the border because it is such a great tool for getting elected.
You’ve bought the bullshit. Hook line and sinker. Remember the Trump administration? It wasn’t that long ago. Somehow he was able to address the problem without a comprehensive immigration bill.

Lord knows Biden hasn’t been shy about exercising executive authority. He has every means at his disposal to minimize the border crisis to a massive extent. Not only does he not do that, he deliberately exacerbates the problem.

You are a useful idiot.

The concertina wire made it difficult for them to do their job.

But in a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court suspended that lower court ruling at the request of the Biden administration, which has argued the razor wire obstructs Border Patrol's ability to process migrants who are already on American soil and to help those who may be in distress.

The concertina wire made it difficult for them to do their job.

But in a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court suspended that lower court ruling at the request of the Biden administration, which has argued the razor wire obstructs Border Patrol's ability to process migrants who are already on American soil and to help those who may be in distress.
It was interfering with BPD’s ability to process migrants and ship them to the interior of the country with a court date they’ll never show up for.

1.1 million green cards issued in 2022, I’m sure it went up in 2023. What do you believe the number should be? Show your work.
To me there is clearly a lot of demand to come into this country. I think I'd want to do the same thing if I was in many of those people's situations. I'd also look at incentives - it's too easy for many to come into this country and very quickly get on public assistance. So that needs to be reformed. But I have no issues with someone coming in who can contribute and build a life for them or their family here.

To your question I don't have an answer but know the legal way in has significant backlogs and the illegal way in is not being dealt with by either party.

I probably don't know enough to add too much more to this...

Reactions: IU_Hickory
You’ve bought the bullshit. Hook line and sinker. Remember the Trump administration? It wasn’t that long ago. Somehow he was able to address the problem without a comprehensive immigration bill.

Lord knows Biden hasn’t been shy about exercising executive authority. He has every means at his disposal to minimize the border crisis to a massive extent. Not only does he not do that, he deliberately exacerbates the problem.

You are a useful idiot.
Uh, what fantasy do you live in? Nothing changed under Trump. People crossed at roughly the same rate as they did under Obama.

Yea, should have said it was the same until covid hit.

This pretending the issue is just because of dems is about as laughable as saying Biden controls inflation.
Oh it's definitely gone up under Biden, but not because he undid Trump's good work. Trump didn't actually do anything.

The policy change in response to COVID did convert a lot of apprehensions into expulsions, but it didn't really stop people from coming.

Oh it's definitely gone up under Biden, but not because he undid Trump's good work. Trump didn't actually do anything.

The policy change in response to COVID did convert a lot of apprehensions into expulsions, but it didn't really stop people from coming.
We’ll never know what the actual number is. If someone gets expelled, then tries again, do they count that still as one person, or does that add two to the total, even though it’s the same person? Does anyone really believe that if someone tried to cross and gets caught, they won’t try again?

I thought I had seen a dip during covid but maybe it was due to expulsions rather than apprehensions.

Most figures are number of apprehensions (figuring out how many got by undetected would be guesswork). You can't blame an administration on people trying to come in. The fact that there are tons of apprehensions seems like the border patrol just doing their job. politicians make it sound like there are no apprehensions and they are just handing our brochures.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I thought I had seen a dip during covid but maybe it was due to expulsions rather than apprehensions.

Most figures are number of apprehensions (figuring out how many got by undetected would be guesswork). You can't blame an administration on people trying to come in. The fact that there are tons of apprehensions seems like the border patrol just doing their job. politicians make it sound like there are no apprehensions and they are just handing our brochures.
The Trump administration kidnapping children probably helped cut back on people trying to cross.

We’ll never know what the actual number is. If someone gets expelled, then tries again, do they count that still as one person, or does that add two to the total, even though it’s the same person? Does anyone really believe that if someone tried to cross and gets caught, they won’t try again?
The stats are for encounters, not individuals, so the same person getting caught twice counts twice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT