ADVERTISEMENT

Did Roberts and Barrett jump ship?

so that could mean there are more apprehensions simply because they are just better at catching the immigrants and thus causing each person to have more attempts.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I thought I had seen a dip during covid but maybe it was due to expulsions rather than apprehensions.

Most figures are number of apprehensions (figuring out how many got by undetected would be guesswork). You can't blame an administration on people trying to come in. The fact that there are tons of apprehensions seems like the border patrol just doing their job. politicians make it sound like there are no apprehensions and they are just handing our brochures.
There was a dip in 2020, but there was a spike in 2019, so that made the dip look like more than it was.

Edited: ignore that expulsion stuff; it was unclear.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
so that could mean there are more apprehensions simply because they are just better at catching the immigrants and thus causing each person to have more attempts.
As a matter of fact, according to CBP, recidivism has shot up in recent years. In 2019, 7% of encounters were individuals apprehended more than once in the same year. In 2020 and 2021, that went up to 26% and 27%, respectively.

Perhaps GOAT is right and the court, while politicized to a degree, still remains grounded on fundamental law?
God, I hope so, but not likely their decisions are based only on "fundamental law."

It's impossible to separate the absolute power wielded by human justices-appointed-for-life from their upbringing, early formative years and parents.

As I recall, a majority of the Dred Scott justices came from slave owning families.

In the new Texas razor wire case, someone on this board suggested that the "inhumane" effect of the underlying Texas' razor wire policy was a factor in leading to the SCOTUS result against Texas. That could very well be related to Amy Comey Barrett's vote against Texas, because she is a known lover of children.

And we shouldn't ignore or diminish the possible effect of the experience of Gorsuch's mother in the federal government, of which he was totally aware:

.https://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/19/neil-gorsuch-anne-burford-colorado/

Maybe SCOTUS might vote your way, but I'm skeptical the reason will be solely "fundamental law."

God, I hope so, but not likely their decisions are based only on "fundamental law."

It's impossible to separate the absolute power wielded by human justices-appointed-for-life from their upbringing, early formative years and parents.

As I recall, a majority of the Dred Scott justices came from slave owning families.

In the new Texas razor wire case, someone on this board suggested that the "inhumane" effect of the underlying Texas' razor wire policy was a factor in leading to the SCOTUS result against Texas. That could very well be related to Amy Comey Barrett's vote against Texas, because she is a known lover of children.

And we shouldn't ignore or diminish the possible effect of the experience of Gorsuch's mother in the federal government, of which he was totally aware:

.https://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/19/neil-gorsuch-anne-burford-colorado/

Maybe SCOTUS might vote your way, but I'm skeptical the reason will be solely "fundamental law."
That’s pretty much ignorant.

First of all, SCOTUS can never wield absolute power because it doesn’t have it. SCOTUS can only decide a case which means it can’t initiate anything.

If you are going to criticize Gorsuch, you’ll need to do better than talking about his mother. His opinions in a few cases I mentioned here are works of art.

I agree the court seems more political than ever. If that is true, I think it comes from the unprecedented litigation against the government. Any controversial policy will result in some interest group filing suit. That is a real problem.

That’s pretty much ignorant.

First of all, SCOTUS can never wield absolute power because it doesn’t have it. SCOTUS can only decide a case which means it can’t initiate anything.

If you are going to criticize Gorsuch, you’ll need to do better than talking about his mother. His opinions in a few cases I mentioned here are works of art.

I agree the court seems more political than ever. If that is true, I think it comes from the unprecedented litigation against the government. Any controversial policy will result in some interest group filing suit. That is a real problem.
Do tell.

What unidentified "opinions"'and "few cases" are you mysteriously referring to?

I noticed Fox “News” has stopped telling us about all the fentanyl stopped at the border. I guess stopping all those drugs was supposed to make Biden look bad. Wonder why they stopped covering it.

How do you know justices put party and politics in decisions?
Some are pretty obvious. Roe wouldn't have been overturned for one.

Given republicans spent so much energy stealing a seat, they apparently think the same way.

I Dont Think So No Way GIF by FTX_Official

It's actually not the way. As much as I understand the frustration felt by Abbott and Texas, ignoring Supreme Court rulings is a path towards chaos.

After Dobbs, many many irresponsible and promiscuous people were extremely upset. Yet, the ruling was followed. Roe was no longer the law of the land.

Would you be okay with rogue doctors performing late term abortions in Florida and Texas? Planned Parenthood staffs loading up on weaponry to fight the authorities that have come to shut them down?

It's actually not the way. As much as I understand the frustration felt by Abbott and Texas, ignoring Supreme Court rulings is a path towards chaos.

After Dobbs, many many irresponsible and promiscuous people were extremely upset. Yet, the ruling was followed. Roe was no longer the law of the land.

Would you be okay with rogue doctors performing late term abortions in Florida and Texas? Planned Parenthood staffs loading up on weaponry to fight the authorities that have come to shut them down?
In Abbott's defense, he's not actually ignoring the ruling. The ruling allows the feds to take the fencing down, but it does not prevent Texas from installing it.

Biden is refusing to follow his duties. That's the whole problem. Intentionally ignoring the law.

• Haha
Biden is refusing to follow his duties. That's the whole problem. Intentionally ignoring the law.
More apprehensions have occurred under Biden than under Trump. Sounds like they are doing their duty.

Pretending like dems are failing at the border is about like blaming biden for inflation. If we are in the business of misplaced blame, how about blaming Trump given the $8.4 trillion that was added to deficit under his watch.

oh right, it's about politics, not facts. Carry on.

More apprehensions have occurred under Biden than under Trump. Sounds like they are doing their duty.

Pretending like dems are failing at the border is about like blaming biden for inflation. If we are in the business of misplaced blame, how about blaming Trump given the $8.4 trillion that was added to deficit under his watch.

oh right, it's about politics, not facts. Carry on.

is about like blaming biden for inflation.
Stop lying. why do you lie so much? you lie about blm and dems. you lie about the same stuff over and over and over. are you just a shill for hte party? wtf is your deal? this stuff isn't opinion. you outright lie.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
You claim to be a lawyer. Can you cite the provision that Biden is refusing to enforce?
it's more than one involving temporary protections, aslylum status, removals, etc. i really hate this topic because i know we can't have open borders but man i feel so badly for these families. i'm in awe of the ones bringing little kids and toddlers and babies. i simply cannot imagine.

i heard on free radio they were all fired up at the united nation's claiming they have budgeted for these people to take advantage of our border with migrants. monies earmarked for maps and shit. no idea if it's true lol

I already said. I don't think Abbott and others should be using this type of rhetoric. I think it's incredibly dangerous. I think it helps reinforce the mindset that these folks are other, less than, and again, the enemy.
So….what are they seeking asylum from?

Are they coming legally thru a port of entry?

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT