ADVERTISEMENT

Dems’ snooker ‘Pubs in Midterm Elections

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
’Pubs got outplayed … some of the analysis say:

‘Pubs needed a better message … more of what Pub’s would do to make life better and less of hold Dem’s accountable for for their excesses (revenge).

‘Pubs didn’t adapt their ground game to the early voting and mail-in ballot reality and let Dems build a pad v. Election Day turnout.

‘Pubs needed stronger candidates. Weak gubernatorial candidates depressed some senate and congressional candidates. Some poor candidates couldn’t get out of their own way.

The leak of SCOTUS abortion decision draft gave Dems something to talk about besides the price of gas, groceries, and the economy in general. Pub’s didn’t find a counter message. Claims that ‘Pubs would enact a national ban on abortion had little merit as the settled law is now that abortion is not a Federal issue (and no longer a meet topic for federal legislation).

The leak of SCOTUS abortion decision draft gave Dems something to talk about besides the price of gas, groceries, and the economy in general. Pub’s didn’t find a counter message.

I doubt the leak had much effect. In fact, some have speculated that it "inoculated" people against the actual decision and diminished the resulting outrage. If anything, it might have given the Dems more time to "test market" their messaging on abortion and take better advantage of the popular sentiment.

‘Pubs needed a better message … more of what Pub’s would do to make life better and less of hold Dem’s accountable for for their excesses (revenge).

‘Pubs didn’t adapt their ground game to the early voting and mail-in ballot reality and let Dems build a pad v. Election Day turnout.

‘Pubs needed stronger candidates. Weak gubernatorial candidates depressed some senate and congressional candidates. Some poor candidates couldn’t get out of their own way.

The leak of SCOTUS abortion decision draft gave Dems something to talk about besides the price of gas, groceries, and the economy in general. Pub’s didn’t find a counter message. Claims that ‘Pubs would enact a national ban on abortion had little merit as the settled law is now that abortion is not a Federal issue (and no longer a meet topic for federal legislation).
Agreed.

It has been two elections in a row where Republicans LITERALLY had no platform.

Owning the libs isn’t a platform.

I doubt the leak had much effect. In fact, some have speculated that it "inoculated" people against the actual decision and diminished the resulting outrage. If anything, it might have given the Dems more time to "test market" their messaging on abortion and take better advantage of the popular sentiment.

I think you’re both right.

Pundits, I think, thought Roe would be forgotten by the time the midterms came around (which is why I think it was leaked earlier). But it wasn’t forgotten. And it was a big winner for Democrats this cycle.

People don’t want their twelve year old child to carry a rapist’s baby to term and be fvcked up for the rest of their lives. Husbands don’t want their wives dead because they are forced to carry and give “birth” to a baby with no head.

• Haha
Reactions: jet812
With high inflation and an unpopular Dem president, Republicans should have rolled. They didn't because of: 1) Trump and his election denial bullshit; and 2) Dobbs.

I heard some political pundits on the Sunday shows advising against a DeSantis run now, arguing that Trump would beat him for the nomination, bloody him in the process, and hurt his (DeSantis's) chances for 2028 and beyond. That's nonsense. DeSantis crushed a formidable opponent in what was considered until recently a purple state, he's a fundraising machine, he's riding high and he should strike while the iron is hot.

The window of opportunity for a viable presidential run can close quickly. Just because he's relatively young doesn't mean he'll have a clear path in 2028 or 2032. His time is now. His leading opponent is a two-time popular vote loser with an old and tired shtick who dragged the party down in the mid-terms. There's also a good chance Trump will be able to add "under indictment" to his CV by the time primary season rolls around. He's toxic.

DeSantis is smart. I'm sure he knows he'll need to tamp down the culture wars divisiveness and move more toward the center if he's going to run on a national ticket. He also needs to work on becoming more relatable as he's got the personality of a piece of paper, but his image-makers still have plenty of time for that. He needs to run and kick Trump's sorry ass into permanent retirement.

With high inflation and an unpopular Dem president, Republicans should have rolled. They didn't because of: 1) Trump and his election denial bullshit; and 2) Dobbs.

I heard some political pundits on the Sunday shows advising against a DeSantis run now, arguing that Trump would beat him for the nomination, bloody him in the process, and hurt his (DeSantis's) chances for 2028 and beyond. That's nonsense. DeSantis crushed a formidable opponent in what was considered until recently a purple state, he's a fundraising machine, he's riding high and he should strike while the iron is hot.

The window of opportunity for a viable presidential run can close quickly. Just because he's relatively young doesn't mean he'll have a clear path in 2028 or 2032. His time is now. His leading opponent is a two-time popular vote loser with an old and tired shtick who dragged the party down in the mid-terms. There's also a good chance Trump will be able to add "under indictment" to his CV by the time primary season rolls around. He's toxic.

DeSantis is smart. I'm sure he knows he'll need to tamp down the culture wars divisiveness and move more toward the center if he's going to run on a national ticket. He also needs to work on becoming more relatable as he's got the personality of a piece of paper, but his image-makers still have plenty of time for that. He needs to run and kick Trump's sorry ass into permanent retirement.

Since God created him on the 8th day, we definitely need someone with his vast experience over 1000s of years to lead our country :) (I'd say millions of years but his followers likely believe it to be in the 1000s so we will go with it).

Pubs would likely have won both chambers if they had just refrained from running election deniers for office. All they had to do was run candidates more sane/center and they would be in control of everything but the white house.

The only reason Biden won in 2020 and dems still have the senate is because the GOP likes to run crazies for office. So I guess us liberals should say thank you.

Is the former cop who just won in TX still under indictment?

I still think it will be Gavin Newsom vs. DeSantis in 24. Biden won’t run again. Newsom is also going through all the motions of someone wanting to run now.

I still think it will be Gavin Newsom vs. DeSantis in 24. Biden won’t run again. Newsom is also going through all the motions of someone wanting to run now.
Trump is going to announce this week. I think it's likely DeSantis waits it out for another four years. He doesn't gain anything by going head-to-head against Trump. If Trump is the nominee, and he will be, it will be a Biden/Trump rematch. DeSantis would have a clear path in 2028.

Trump is going to announce this week. I think it's likely DeSantis waits it out for another four years. He doesn't gain anything by going head-to-head against Trump. If Trump is the nominee, and he will be, it will be a Biden/Trump rematch. DeSantis would have a clear path in 2028.
I think we undersell the importance of timing in political campaigns. DeSantis is in the zeitgeist right now, who knows what the political landscape looks like in 2028. If it’s a relatively small Reoublican field, DeSantis should go now.

I think we undersell the importance of timing in political campaigns. DeSantis is in the zeitgeist right now, who knows what the political landscape looks like in 2028. If it’s a relatively small Reoublican field, DeSantis should go now.
You could be right, but if he takes on Trump, he loses even if he wins. If Trump runs and loses in the primary, he'll take a significant number of Republican votes with him. He won't go quietly.

Biden is not going to run. He basically said it during his last 60 Minutes interview.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT