ADVERTISEMENT

Democrats edging out Republicans

The abortion play was big fail by dems the decision was too long ago. It happened in June so for it to still be fresh on peoples minds in needed to have happened in the last month. People had alot of time now to step back and looke at the real issues we are facing like crime and inflation. And alot also realized despite the dem talking points abortion is not banned they can always find a state to get one if they so desire.
Yea just was looking at voter issue ranking. The standard D biggies, Abortion, gun control, climate change were like 7,8,9 ... I'm happy to see them relegated to the dust bin, just not happy what it has taken to get them there.

I guess we'll know in three weeks wont we? What do you and dbm get out of this incessant posting of polls and constant prognostication of doom for the Democrats? It seems like you're trying to convince yourself more than anything.

Patience. Wait and see. All will be revealed in time.
They don't even post representative polls. They post Baris and Trafalgar. And even then, they only post the ones that look good for the GOP.

Reactions: cosmickid
All the liberal pollers are starting to throw in the towel this week. They cannot find a way to show the dems in the lead any longer and have had to shift to likely voter models.

But more concerning for Democrats — with just 18 days to go before the election — is that the Republican advantage grows to 6 points, 53% to 47%, among all likely voters who live in the battleground states of Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Ohio, North Carolina, Nevada, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Tweet​

𝐍𝐄𝐖 𝐏𝐎𝐋𝐋: GOP holds 𝟲 𝗣𝗢𝗜𝗡𝗧 lead over Democrats on in Battleground States Republicans 53% (+6) Democrats 47% ⦿ OH: R+12, FL: R+10, AZ: R+6 ⦿ GA: R+6, NC: R+6, WI: R+4, NV: R+4 Survey Monkey | 10/15-18 | 108,206 LV

2022 Congressional Generic Ballot Republicans 48% (+3) Democrats 45% ⦿ Data For Progress (𝗗) ⦿ 10/06-18 | 4,576 LV | MoE ±1% https://dataforprogress.org/generic-congressional-ballot

Dem close to Kelly campaign: “We believe this is a race that’s within a point in either direction, and there’s still a good chance that we would lose,” the Democrat said. “And it’s important people understand that.” ⁦
@natalie_allison

I don’t think the Forum will go nuts. Just more MAGA Trump bad.
Hopefully we get a quiet two years. Dems’ shit gets blocked. Little gets done. But I suspect the new congress will usher in investigations and hearings. The Jan 6 committee will be disbanded. Hunter will be under the radar. Maybe impeachment stuff. Election stuff. Our gov blows

Reactions: Bill4411
Hopefully we get a quiet two years. Dems’ shit gets blocked. Little gets done. But I suspect the new congress will usher in investigations and hearings. The Jan 6 committee will be disbanded. Hunter will be under the radar. Maybe impeachment stuff. Election stuff. Our gov blows
McCarthy has vowed he will shut down the government over the debt ceiling if he doesn't get concessions on Social Security. It's going to be a shit show.

McCarthy has vowed he will shut down the government over the debt ceiling if he doesn't get concessions on Social Security. It's going to be a shit show.
Austerity measures are needed on SS. I know it’s not popular for a politician to say, but it’s true.

I don’t even disagree with the program overall, but it is unsustainable in its current form.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Inflation calming down and decreasing gas prices the past few weeks has probably helped a good amount, as well. I think inflation will drift down the next several months before drifting back up, which should favor Democrats.
Inflation won't slow down and it is a lie by Biden that it is. He and his administration are using the numbers in misleading ways. Democrats are going to have a hard time finding ways to hide what is going on as voters go to the polls.

Inflation won't slow down and it is a lie by Biden that it is. He and his administration are using the numbers in misleading ways. Democrats are going to have a hard time finding ways to hide what is going on as voters go to the polls.
Inflation isn't just slowing down. It's essentially plateauing. That helps Dems, but it's probably too little, too late. It will take several more months, maybe even a year, for people to really feel like inflation is under control.

Austerity measures are needed on SS. I know it’s not popular for a politician to say, but it’s true.

I don’t even disagree with the program overall, but it is unsustainable in its current form.
Just lift the cap. Done.

What? I know it’s hard to fathom government measures ever effecting your take home, but welcome to the real world.

Any slow, phase, change to SS probably wouldn’t affect your trailer park ass any.

I'll be fine either way. But lifting the cap is the simplest and most equitable solution. Which is why it won't happen.

Also, let's be honest, if we're going to let science continue to find ways to keep people alive until they're 120, we probably need to raise the retirement age, too.

Whole lotta people still doing hard physical work who would have a hard time. Even me with my relatively easy work environment, I was physically done when I hit 66. I'm still reasonably active but I'm limited as to how much I can do for how long.

Do they even need to lift it entirely? Wouldn't raising it a bit be enough?

Inflation isn't just slowing down. It's essentially plateauing. That helps Dems, but it's probably too little, too late. It will take several more months, maybe even a year, for people to really feel like inflation is under control.
Crime is a close second and first in some regions, and shouldn’t be underestimated as the real nail in the coffin. Adding that to inflation is not a good recipe to win elections. Two issues that go damn personal.

It's a flat tax. The current system is regressive.
It's actually designed to be, and is, progressive. It's progressive in that a higher proportion of your earnings are replaced with the benefit payment at the lower income levels (about 50 percent) and a lower proportion is replaced for the higher income levels (30 percent - less for those that are over the income cap for paying in). Why do you think that's regressive?

Reactions: Crayfish57
It's actually designed to be, and is, progressive. It's progressive in that a higher proportion of your earnings are replaced with the benefit payment at the lower income levels (about 50 percent) and a lower proportion is replaced for the higher income levels (30 percent - less for those that are over the income cap for paying in). Why do you think that's regressive?

Okay, the funding mechanism is regressive and the benefit mechanism is progressive. Whatever. The fact remains that there's going to be a shortfall between income and outlay in the next ten years that needs to be addressed. I'd be fine with phasing in something akin to your TSP plan -- as long as it's universal and mandatory -- but that doesn't address the issue at hand. Social Security as it is currently constituted needs to be shored up. Eliminating the cap accomplishes that and IMO is the least onerous of the various alternatives I've seen proposed.

Okay, the funding mechanism is regressive and the benefit mechanism is progressive. Whatever. The fact remains that there's going to be a shortfall between income and outlay in the next ten years that needs to be addressed. I'd be fine with phasing in something akin to your TSP plan -- as long as it's universal and mandatory -- but that doesn't address the issue at hand. Social Security as it is currently constituted needs to be shored up. Eliminating the cap accomplishes that and IMO is the least onerous of the various alternatives I've seen proposed.
It might not be onerous to you to lift the cap, but it would be for many above the cap. You didn’t answer my question of whether you’d increase their benefits proportionally.

A plan including TSP should be phased in and it would need to be mandatory for all. Wouldn’t take long for it to be extremely popular.

It might not be onerous to you to lift the cap, but it would be for many above the cap. You didn’t answer my question of whether you’d increase their benefits proportionally.

Not directly 1:1 proportionally, no. Give it a bump, sure. The benefits mechanism needs to remain progressive overall. The whole idea is to increase revenue, not increase outlay. That would defeat the purpose.

A plan including TSP should be phased in and it would need to be mandatory for all. Wouldn’t take long for it to be extremely popular.

On that we agree. I would also make sure it couldn't be drawn on or borrowed against before retirement unless for the direst of reasons.

Not directly 1:1 proportionally, no. Give it a bump, sure. The benefits mechanism needs to remain progressive overall. The whole idea is to increase revenue, not increase outlay. That would defeat the purpose.

On that we agree. I would also make sure it couldn't be drawn on or borrowed against before retirement unless for the direst of reasons.
There are restrictions on using TSP before retirement age.

Reactions: UncleMark
I can't wait for the Brave New World dmbailey is predicting.
No more crime, inflation, war, or government intrusion, starting 11/9/22.
No excuses.

Whole lotta people still doing hard physical work who would have a hard time. Even me with my relatively easy work environment, I was physically done when I hit 66. I'm still reasonably active but I'm limited as to how much I can do for how long.
Can't we just teach them all coding and they'll be fine? :)

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
Jonathan Weisman and Neil Vigdor
Tue, October 25, 2022 at 6:50 AM

Democratic candidates, facing what increasingly looks like a reckoning in two weeks, are struggling to find a closing message on the economy that acknowledges the deep uncertainty troubling the electorate while making the case that they, not the Republicans, hold the solutions.
For some time, the party’s candidates and strategists have debated whether to hit inflation head on or to heed warnings that any shift toward an economic message would be ending the campaign on the strongest possible Republican ground. Since midsummer, when the Supreme Court repealed Roe v. Wade, Democrats had hoped that preserving the 50-year-old constitutional right to an abortion and castigating Republican extremism could get them past the worst inflation in 40 years.
That is looking increasingly like wishful thinking.

On Monday, Democrats unveiled new messages that appeared to switch tacks, incorporating achievements of the past two years with expressions of sympathy on the economy and dire warnings for what Republicans might bring.

Switching messaging with two weeks lift is far too late to change any minds. Instead of obsessing over abortion and 01/06 they should have been using this messaging like four months ago. Oh well they went all in on abortion and it going to be a big mistake for them.

Whichever party takes on limiting ss benefits, all I can say is good luck to them for the future because they will need it!

Finally a judge who has read the Constitution.

That is what a Republican judge's interpretation is and as with most things constitutionally it can be interpreted differently by someone else. I wouldn't get to wound up by that Fox News story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT