ADVERTISEMENT

Debate Predictions

The Media?

Since when is there only one source for the news ?
Some of these posters must think it’s still 1990 and “the media” consists only of the three broadcast networks, CNN, the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal.

Reactions: IUclover
Some of these posters must think it’s still 1990 and “the media” consists only of the three broadcast networks, CNN, the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal.

There is also the growing Social Media which many of us rely on for our political commentary.

Reactions: Bowlmania
There is also the growing Social Media which many of us rely on for our political commentary.
Exactly. Social media reaches far more people than TV and print publications.

There are also enormously influential podcasters and countless online “news” outlets. AM talk radio is also a very big player.

Exactly. Social media reaches far more people than TV and print publications.

There are also enormously influential podcasters and countless online “news” outlets. AM talk radio is also a very big player.
AM radio lol. give me a break. the field itself is led by liberals. wasn't it iu that found as much. the media is overwhelmingly liberal when you factor in the major players. it's been that way for decades. hell ucla 20 years ago found that all of the major networks lean left. good grief

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory and DANC
Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
Not to say you're wrong, but that article is 10 years old.

I wonder what the breakdown is now with social media/podcasts being way more prevalent and easily accessible.
When I log onto a computer or my phone those podcasts and social media aren’t being highlighted. I’m getting nbc ny times Wash post ap yahoo news abc Wall Street journal fox cnn. That’s what most casual readers are getting. Not Dbm and others doing deep dives. Half my friends have zero social media

So if those are the lead articles and 7 percent of journalists are pubs what do you think

When I log onto a computer or my phone those podcasts and social media aren’t being highlighted. I’m getting nbc ny times Wash post ap yahoo news abc Wall Street journal fox cnn. That’s what most casual readers are getting. Not Dbm and others doing deep dives. Half my friends have zero social media

So if those are the lead articles and 7 percent of journalists are pubs what do you think

I think you're severely downplaying the effect of social media and podcasts, but that's just me.

People like Elon and Rogan have given light to people who normally might not search this stuff out, IMO.

I think you're severely downplaying the effect of social media and podcasts, but that's just me.

People like Elon and Rogan have given light to people who normally might not search this stuff out, IMO.
Half my friends have zero social media. I’m 53. And the ones that do are posting about vacations and family. Yes for political junkies they can find it but for most people when you log onto yahoo the articles they show from the big dogs are the news most people see. Wash post, ap, abc, yahoo etc. And they are overwhelmingly negative of trump. And the glow up of Harris has been comical.

7 percent of journalists are pubs

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory
Trump will have an itch, scratch his balls and MSM will claim he broke some rule and Democracy is at risk if he is elected. We cannot dislike the Biden, Harris the Dems and their MSM cronies looking for TV ratings enuff. It will be best to tune in to You tube where blackballed debate candidate Chase Oliver will give his responses.

Last edited:
Greatness doesn't need preparation. Like MJ showing up to an NBA finals game after spending the previous night up til 5 am drinking and partying. He will win.

DBM, whether it's being a television celebrity, which is important in a TV debate, or a professional athlete, natural and practiced talent carries the day.

Key to the debate is how likable Kamala comes off tonight in appealing to voters. Will males like her?

Quite frankly, I am surprised Trump's success hasn't resulted in more highly successful businessmen and celebrities seeking the presidency.

One thing for sure, Trump was not up drinking til 5 am this morning. Gotta give him credit for staying off the booze.

Greatness doesn't need preparation. Like MJ showing up to an NBA finals game after spending the previous night up til 5 am drinking and partying. He will win.

The difference is, MJ put in 12 hours a day practicing for the 6 days before going on the night-before-drinking binge. Trump's debate performances to date haven't been anything close to resembling greatness.

Not sure spending time with QAnon counts as a deep dive

The difference is, MJ put in 12 hours a day practicing for the 6 days before going on the night-before-drinking binge. Trump's debate performances to date haven't been anything close to resembling greatness.
He's been doing press conferences and interviews almost daily for years. Probably decades. This will be his 7th Presidential debate. The only one you could argue was bad was the 1st debate against Biden in 2020 and that wasn't an oops. He did exactly what Christie and the other advisors told him to do. Wonder why. Tulsi has been prepping him for weeks here. Does he look worried or unprepared?

About those journalists.

Have an acquaintnce who is the Department Head of Journalism at a nearby university.

Much to his dismay, the number of students interested in journalism has declined greatly in recent years. Liberals may have to start finding real jobs :).

Not just political commentary but also news. According to a Pew Research study, 71% of Americans get at least some of their news content from social media platforms. And, as these findings were as of four years ago, that 71% figure is almost certainly higher today.

She just came out in favor of rent controls in the middle of a housing shortage and on the day of the debate. How dumb are the people running her campaign?

Half my friends have zero social media. I’m 53. And the ones that do are posting about vacations and family. Yes for political junkies they can find it but for most people when you log onto yahoo the articles they show from the big dogs are the news most people see. Wash post, ap, abc, yahoo etc. And they are overwhelmingly negative of trump. And the glow up of Harris has been comical.

7 percent of journalists are pubs

MM66, when was the last time you saw somebody at a fast food place or on a streetcar reading a newspaper ?

Can remember riding a commuter train to work and a majority of the passengers had a newspaper. Those days are gone forever.

Instead you see plenty of people staring at their cell phone just about everywhere.

He does make up the majority of his “facts” on the spot. He doesn’t want to prepare with actual facts. That’ll throw him way off his game. 😎

Not just political commentary but also news. According to a Pew Research study, 71% of Americans get at least some of their news content from social media platforms. And, as these findings were as of four years ago, that 71% figure is almost certainly higher today.

Then there is the influence of negative political ads which can be directed to a specific audience in places identified as being swing voters.

With the electoral college you don't need the most votes just the right voters in the right places.

Reactions: UncleMark
He's been doing press conferences and interviews almost daily for years. Probably decades. This will be his 7th Presidential debate. The only one you could argue was bad was the 1st debate against Biden in 2020 and that wasn't an oops. He did exactly what Christie and the other advisors told him to do. Wonder why. Tulsi has been prepping him for weeks here. Does he look worried or unprepared?

He lost both 2020 debates to Biden according to 60+ percent of Americans. JOE BIDEN. Let that sink in. What am I saying? You’re impervious.

MM66, when was the last time you saw somebody at a fast food place or on a streetcar reading a newspaper ?

Can remember riding a commuter train to work and a majority of the passengers had a newspaper. Those days are gone forever.

Instead you see plenty of people staring at their cell phone just about everywhere.
for sure but i'm talking about the online versions of all of those

I wonder if Trump's handlers will have him juiced up on something. He's been very "low-energy" in recent appearances.

I remember a lot of sniffling when he debated Clinton.
Well, I do remember political pundits claiming Old Joe had a cold as being the reason for his shaky performance. Perhaps this was the reason for Don’s sniffles, as opposed to backstage lines of cocaine.

Well, I do remember political pundits claiming Old Joe had a cold as being the reason for his shaky performance. Perhaps this was the reason for Don’s sniffles, as opposed to backstage lines of cocaine.
Joe didn't have a cold. He's old and it showed.

With respect to Trump, I never said cocaine and I think there's little chance he does coke. There are other stimulants, some prescribed, that cause nasal symptoms.

Hopefully for his sake he has neither nasal nor GI symptoms tonight. The mics are very sensitive and pick up every sound. If he's going to let one rip, he needs to do it while Harris is talking and his mic is muted.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark

If you want to make a basketball analogy, I'd say Trump's political career is more Mike Davis than Mike Jordan. #bballjokesonlyiufanswillget

Best bet is to not tune in. Trump will be Trump and everything he says will be over analyzed and scrutinized and Harris will be prerecorded message that says the opposite of what she truly stands for and America will fall victim.

I'll get my recap from this place tomorrow, as the same 5 will be going on and on about how bad Trump was, mainly because they just don't like him, and the other 5 will be going on and on about how she is a complete idiot(which IMO is very true). I just hope she stops giggling long enough to answer questions and Trump stay quiet enough to give the media little to talk about. I trust neither will happen.

JOE BIDEN….you voted for JOE BIDEN?

Let that sink in.
It’s not an insult when I’ve admitted to it. I’d do it again in 2020, but we don’t have time machines, and I said I wouldn’t do it in 2024. I’m a man of my word. 😎

Joe didn't have a cold. He's old and it showed.

With respect to Trump, I never said cocaine and I think there's little chance he does coke. There are other stimulants, some prescribed, that cause nasal symptoms.

Hopefully for his sake he has neither nasal nor GI symptoms tonight. The mics are very sensitive and pick up every sound. If he's going to let one rip, he needs to do it while Harris is talking and his mic is muted.
What are the latest over/under odds in Vegas on number of inappropriate fits of nervous laughter out of Harris? Last I saw it was three.

Will Harris manage to goad Trump into losing his cool ?
I don't think he actually needs to lose his cool. Harris just needs to goad him into talking about what she wants him to talk about. If she ends every answer with an accusation that he can't let go, he'll waste his time responding to that accusation, instead of pivoting to the border or inflation whenever he gets the chance. If she can make that happen, she wins. If he can avoid the bait and make those pivots to the topics that she is actually vulnerable on, he wins.

I don't think he actually needs to lose his cool. Harris just needs to goad him into talking about what she wants him to talk about. If she ends every answer with an accusation that he can't let go, he'll waste his time responding to that accusation, instead of pivoting to the border or inflation whenever he gets the chance. If she can make that happen, she wins. If he can avoid the bait and make those pivots to the topics that she is actually vulnerable on, he wins.
He’s too dumb to make it about the cost of living and immigration

Reactions: Ohio Guy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT