ADVERTISEMENT

The Cult

In a dynamic system, I don’t think you can measure ideals like equality. I think I would agree that a static snapshot might provide a basis to measure, but I need to think about that.
They want equality in every countable measure across groups based on % representation, etc. But to get there, they say you need present and current discrimination in their favor to account for past discrimination against a particular group. Yes, that number will constantly change, but that doesn't mean you can't actually measure it.

They want equality in every countable measure across groups based on % representation, etc. But to get there, they say you need present and current discrimination in their favor to account for past discrimination against a particular group. Yes, that number will constantly change, but that doesn't mean you can't actually measure it.
You can measure speed with a speedometer. Unless the destination is measurable and determinable you have no idea how important speed is.

As long as the objective is an abstraction, the speed is mostly meaningless.

Agree about aspirational.

However, we shouldn't give up our goals. We aren't a failure unless we give up trying.
That’s obviously true. But it has nothing to do with the abstraction of aspirations vs practicality of taking action to achieve them.

I’m sure those who spay-painted Stonehenge or bum-rushed the green at the golf tournament subjectively thought they did something aspirational, but by any objective standard they are morons who did nothing. They are like the French revolutionaries. Attack tradition and establishment for no reason other than to attack tradition and establishment.

Reactions: stollcpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT