ADVERTISEMENT

Death rate models have now doubled

You should have seen Nashville, Brown County on Sunday. Every motorcycle within 100 miles must have made the ride. They were packed in the gas station lots and the Chocolate Moose lot. No one practicing social distancing. Everyone standing around in close proximity, hanging out together yuking it up. People walking up and down our sidewalks, no distancing or masks to be seen anywhere. I thought: Jesus, they're bringing the virus to us. We've managed to maintain a fairly low count here to this point, being such a remote, rural county. Based on this past weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see Brown County spike within a week or so based on what I saw here. Oh, and the Governor was one of the contributors - popped into Hobknob Corner to pick up a carryout order and snapped a IG pic with some folks while he was there - no mask - no distancing. The HobKnob is my local place. Don't go there unless you're going to keep with the guidelines. This is one of our food sources here. That means you, Governor.
What the hell were you doing outside--ARE YOU INSANE?

Seems pretty slanderous to accuse hospitals of that without some actual proof. Oh and it would also be insurance fraud.

This new right wing talking point that sick people who also get Covid shouldn’t be considered Covid deaths is really stupid. If you have stage 4 lung cancer and you die in a car crash driving to your chemo appointment, guess what the cause of death is?

Coronavirus?

Reactions: HillzHoozier
You should have seen Nashville, Brown County on Sunday. Every motorcycle within 100 miles must have made the ride. They were packed in the gas station lots and the Chocolate Moose lot. No one practicing social distancing. Everyone standing around in close proximity, hanging out together yuking it up. People walking up and down our sidewalks, no distancing or masks to be seen anywhere. I thought: Jesus, they're bringing the virus to us. We've managed to maintain a fairly low count here to this point, being such a remote, rural county. Based on this past weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see Brown County spike within a week or so based on what I saw here. Oh, and the Governor was one of the contributors - popped into Hobknob Corner to pick up a carryout order and snapped a IG pic with some folks while he was there - no mask - no distancing. The HobKnob is my local place. Don't go there unless you're going to keep with the guidelines. This is one of our food sources here. That means you, Governor.

Their constitutional rights don’t end when your fear begins. Stay home, risk abounds before and after coronavirus.

Intentionally miscoding a diagnosis for higher payment is fraud - link

There is a 20% bump-up to the DRG payment for treating COVID. This is going to be an area for audits.
You are correct on all 3 points.
If the cause of death could possibly be related to covid-that is going to be the code billed.
Anyone thinking otherwise has their head in the sand.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Their constitutional rights don’t end when your fear begins. Stay home, risk abounds before and after coronavirus.

Evidently this woman decided it was her "constitutional right" to eat her "Happy Meal" in the lobby. Of course the fact that she likely isn't capable of actually READING the Constitution is immaterial... DWS

"Three workers at an Oklahoma City McDonald's were injured Wednesday by gunfire and a scuffle that appeared to have started because the restaurant's dining area was closed for social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic, police said.

Two of three were injured by gunfire and the third was hurt in a scuffle, said Lt. Michelle Henderson of the Oklahoma City Police Department."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/3-mcdonalds-workers-hurt-customer-012414176.html

Can you explain the financial incentives to report more Covid deaths?

I was speaking to an ER doctor friend about how muddy all the data is. He is in Texas and said the numbers are a joke because there is so little testing. He suggested that the only really reliable data is year over year deaths. For example, how many people in US died in April in the last 10 years? How many died in April 2020? When we look at these numbers, it certainly appears Covid deaths are actually significantly under reported.
I think by now, you have read that hospitals and doctors have a financial incentive to list COVID-19 vs other more probable causes. Why is that? Do you think that opens the door for potential misuse? I do.

I think by now, you have read that hospitals and doctors have a financial incentive to list COVID-19 vs other more probable causes. Why is that? Do you think that opens the door for potential misuse? I do.

I have observed that some people tend to project their own character flaws on others.

So you dispute that almost 74000 Americans have died of the virus? Again, why is it so important to the right that the virus not be serious? Does that somehow support Trumps incompetence?

Reactions: cosmickid
So you dispute that almost 74000 Americans have died of the virus? Again, why is it so important to the right that the virus not be serious? Does that somehow support Trumps incompetence?
I don’t dispute that at all. I’m simply saying true numbers are hard to quantify when there is a remuneration component involved.

I have observed that some people tend to project their own character flaws on others.
True but not always Bulk. I have observed that some people are just really good people and are genuinely surprised to hear when doctors/hospitals and revered institutions do untoward shit.

Almost 74,000 thousand have surely died WITH the virus.

No, I believe the virus is real and deadly. I think there is an argument to be made on both sides of the equation. And why is everything with you guys .....Trump this, Trump that? Who gives a shit about Trump right now. He is not part of this conversation. Can you actually have a discussion without resorting back to Trump every time?

I don’t dispute that at all. I’m simply saying true numbers are hard to quantify when there is a remuneration component involved.

Are there remuneration components to all coding? Is Covid a higher reimbursement rate than all codes? Are people this skeptical of codings for flu deaths? I don’t recall I’ve ever heard flu deaths questioned like this. I wonder why?

yes, I am projecting my own character flaws onto our healthcare system. Geez, they do everything so well, without ever considering the financial benefits involved. What was I thinking?

Reactions: Scott S
Are there remuneration components to all coding? Is Covid a higher reimbursement rate than all codes? Are people this skeptical of codings for flu deaths? I don’t recall I’ve ever heard flu deaths questioned like this. I wonder why?
probably because flu deaths don't receive triple the reimbursement.

I wish someone would explain for the layman how this works. If I go to the hospital because of appendicitis, do they code me for COVID to make more money? I thought they got reimbursed per procedure or care done. If they give me Tylenol for fever, do they get to charge more for that Tylenol because I have COVID?

Flu deaths very like don’t pay squat comparatively. Remember hospitals are a business. Think about it that way. If they are losing all this business (patients) in elective procedures because no one’s going to the hospital they have to offset it somewhere. I’m not being a conspiracy guy here or overly jaded, it’s just how it works.

Reactions: IUJIM
I wish someone would explain for the layman how this works. If I go to the hospital because of appendicitis, do they code me for COVID to make more money? I thought they got reimbursed per procedure or care done. If they give me Tylenol for fever, do they get to charge more for that Tylenol because I have COVID?
If someone dies of "pneumonia " with unknown cause. It is in the hospitals best interest to code as covid.
Interestmay not be the best wording

Reactions: mcmurtry66
If someone dies of "pneumonia " with unknown cause. It is in the hospitals best interest to code as covid.

But why? Say I walk through the door and they take my vitals and I die, how do they make more money saying it is COVID? Do they actually get more for taking a BP if it is related to COVID?

probably because flu deaths don't receive triple the reimbursement.

actually, 20% more per DRG for COVID cases under Medicare

Lying through coding is fraud. Now if you came in through the ER with respiratory failure, they admit you to the ICU, put you on a vent and you quickly expire, they may or may not test you for COVID before wheeling you to the morgue. Will the hospital get in trouble if they assume you had COVID and put that on the code? Depends on whether these cases eventually get audited.

The hospital cannot charge more for the same item or service based on a patient's diagnosis or payment status.

But why? Say I walk through the door and they take my vitals and I die, how do they make more money saying it is COVID? Do they actually get more for taking a BP if it is related to COVID?
Everything is billed by a code.
Each code has a set rate of reimbursement.
A fellow that works at a hospital told me that covid patients were "big money."
The difference I couldn't tell you.

This happened to a friend of mine. 70 year old body builder.
actually, 20% more per DRG for COVID cases under Medicare

Lying through coding is fraud. Now if you came in through the ER with respiratory failure, they admit you to the ICU, put you on a vent and you quickly expire, they may or may not test you for COVID before wheeling you to the morgue. Will the hospital get in trouble if they assume you had COVID and put that on the code? Depends on whether these cases eventually get audited.

The hospital cannot charge more for the same item or service based on a patient's diagnosis or payment status.
Good post. And a couple of realities, they aren’t all getting audited. Too much to police. And if they are “caught” in a dispute like you note it’s just a coverage fight with the carrier. The carrier will deny it and say we’ll pay for pneumonia or whatever. No biggie for the hospital to try.

Everything is billed by a code.
Each code has a set rate of reimbursement.
A fellow that works at a hospital told me that covid patients were "big money."
The difference I couldn't tell you.

I have heard the same from several clients, makes you wonder

Here's an interesting story about a TN prison - can we all calm down before irrationally deciding that we need to empty prisons, as some extreme politicians have called for?

https://fox17.com/news/local/580-bledsoe-county-inmates-recover-from-covid-19

TDOC said of the 586 inmates who tested positive, 580 have completed quarantining our 14 days and are showing no symptoms.

Of the six remaining cases, two inmates are hospitalized and four are asymptomatic but will remain in isolation.

Here's an interesting story about a TN prison - can we all calm down before irrationally deciding that we need to empty prisons, as some extreme politicians have called for?

https://fox17.com/news/local/580-bledsoe-county-inmates-recover-from-covid-19

TDOC said of the 586 inmates who tested positive, 580 have completed quarantining our 14 days and are showing no symptoms.

Of the six remaining cases, two inmates are hospitalized and four are asymptomatic but will remain in isolation.

I thought this thing was a death sentence, interesting

COVID fraud seems to be Trump's new argument too. Crazy how that happens and others show up repeating the same thing.

(If Trump is pushing it, you should look the other way)

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
COVID fraud seems to be Trump's new argument too. Crazy how that happens and others show up repeating the same thing.

(If Trump is pushing it, you should look the other way)
Others were referring to hospital billing practices. You’re a one trick pony....

I spoke with a Covid unit dr about this. They would immediately lose their license if it was discovered they were doing this. I imagine there is some fraud, but just like right wing voter conspiracy fraud , my guess is it’s far from prevalent.

Reactions: glmiu11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT