ADVERTISEMENT

Death rate models have now doubled

To back that up, an axe throwing bar (I went to one in Greenwood, it is great fun) opened up in Atlanta. They advertised. They had two customers opening weekend. https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news...-not-landlords-that-cause-the-pressure-104166

“That was the worst-case scenario, especially with all the marketing we did,” Zelaya said. “The reopening weekend was a disaster. We had two customers all weekend."​

If you can't convince people to drink beer and throw axes after being locked in for 6 weeks, I'm not sure what chance kids parties have.
Kids' axe throwing parties in Georgia? For birthdays and bar mitzvahs . . . what a great idea . . . it'd be like printing money . . . .

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
On the money part. I’m amazed that people are buying houses right now. We have had two sell in our neighborhood in the last month. The wife and I are both still working and I’ve downgraded my whiskey selections to save a few bucks. Maybe I’m just more conservative in that front.

I have one son who bought a house at the end of February, and another who's sitting out the market in case there's deflation. We're a test in miniature for your thesis.

Reactions: Circlejoe
We see it in even the publicly traded markets. The mega cap tech firms are still riding high...as their business model isn't impacted... and in many cases boosted by this situation. That's kept the broad based indexes not looking to bad.

Meanwhile the small cap firms are still down 30+% in value. These are companies worth $500m-$4b.... So just imagine what that's done to the true main street businesses.... that are only a fraction of that size.

The govt had a quick fiscal response that can paper over a few months... but the real ugly I fear will start showing up in the out months. The political will to keep pumping money out will dry up.... and the consumer economy will still be limping.

The group of businesses that are really feeling the pain are middle market businesses (can be defined in many ways, but let's say $50mm-$1B revenue), which would include your small cap and some mid cap stocks along with a huge number of privately held businesses.

The morons in Congress pandered to the big and small companies and completely fvcked the middle guy.

Reactions: twenty02
Reported US coronavirus deaths:

Mar. 8: 21 deaths
Apr. 8: 14,817 deaths
May 8: 77,179 deaths

Good thing we've squashed this sucka

US coronavirus deaths:

10 wks ago: 0 deaths
9 wks ago: 17 deaths
8 wks ago: 49 deaths
7 wks ago: 249 deaths
6 wks ago: 1,588 deaths
5 wks ago: 7,152 deaths
4 wks ago: 18,758 deaths
3 wks ago: 37,054 deaths
2 wks ago: 51,017 deaths
1 wk ago: 64,943 deaths
Right now: 77,179 deaths

US coronavirus deaths:

It's Obama's fault!
Right, Mr. President?

Tell that to my buddy Joe, second-gen owner of family-run Party Central Rental. Wedding tents, bouncy castles, tuxedos, linens, chairs and tables, party favors, utensils? Anyone? No?

Any advice for Joe?
The economy can totally open and companies like that are going to have problems. No one is going to choose to have events like that for a long time. I’d hope businesses like his would have gotten help from the Care package, but it appears more and more that money went to the Ruth Chris of the world and Trump buddies.

Because it’s part of the discussion of Covid deaths being over or under counted.

That makes no sense. You said that Covid was very likely the cause of any stroke an infected person might suffer. There is no evidence to support that.

Instead Silver slamming misuse of data by NYT and Axios

"Crisis" is often mentioned as a reason to continue wiping out the finances, hopes and dreams of millions of people. This is looking more and more like an epidemic of emotions instead of a virus. Your Nate Silver quote is exactly right, but his is not the only example.

The media is not our friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: HillzHoozier

It's not a 3rd wave. It's the original as it peters out on the beach. Rural America is not like high density hot spots like NYC, Detroit, New Orleans or Chicago will millions live in old apartment buildings with antiquated HVAC systems.

More importantly, rural hospitals are not in trouble because of the Coronavirus. They are being destroyed because of the dumbassed one-size-fits-all government shut down orders issued by many governors.

US coronavirus deaths:

77k (at least) in 10 weeks.

Can someone remind us how many people in the US die in an entire year from flu?

Yesterday, I came across a facebook post being shared from a page called "The Republican (something)" and it has some propaganda claiming COVID is a hoax and deaths are being overreported. According to the post, there have only been 30K deaths at most.

What was even more interesting was that another user commented to say their same post was removed because it was flagged as false news, which led to a discussion of how the media's trying to hide the truth and the post was true. Sad days.

Who really created that meme? Anybody know?

Looking for truth on Facebook. Interesting concept.

Try CSPAN 3.

Reactions: Spartans9312
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html
CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season.

I appreciate the link. My post was more rhetorical and aimed at the Trumpettes who think they can pwn the libs by saying people are overreacting and always saying “well the flu kills...”.

I appreciate the link. My post was more rhetorical and aimed at the Trumpettes who think they can pwn the libs by saying people are overreacting and always saying “well the flu kills...”.
I know. I posted the link so they couldn't duck and run.

The economy can totally open and companies like that are going to have problems. No one is going to choose to have events like that for a long time. I’d hope businesses like his would have gotten help from the Care package, but it appears more and more that money went to the Ruth Chris of the world and Trump buddies.
People will gather again when the governments release them. Not everyone is afraid.

Did you see the article about only two customers went to an Atlanta bar the first weekend, after what the owners called "extensive marketing"?
The weather has been particularly good, even for Atlanta and even for this time of year. Today is spectacular . . . 62 degrees and not a single wisp of a cloud to be seen. Last weekend was just as good, if a bit warmer.

Even alcoholics are outside.

Idk what it would be if we coded every death as a flu death.

Now we’re back to your little coding conspiracy. You’re precious.

Out of curiosity, where did you and your friends get that daily download from? As another poster pointed out, you all suddenly became experts with the same opinion.

Now we’re back to your little coding conspiracy. You’re precious.

Out of curiosity, where did you and your friends get that daily download from? As another poster pointed out, you all suddenly became experts with the same opinion.
Irony is when the "intellectually curious" have no questions and do what they are told.

US coronavirus deaths:

Wrong.

"There is nothing from the CDC that I can trust," she told CDC Director Robert Redfield, two people familiar with the meeting told the newspaper.

The Post reported that Birx and others feared that the CDC's statistics on mortality rate and case counts were inflated by up to 25%.

Wrong.

"There is nothing from the CDC that I can trust," she told CDC Director Robert Redfield, two people familiar with the meeting told the newspaper.

The Post reported that Birx and others feared that the CDC's statistics on mortality rate and case counts were inflated by up to 25%.
Yep because that’s the next Trump conspiracy, so that he won’t be blamed for 100,000 plus deaths. First blame China. Next, say the numbers are wrong. Anything yo get the focus off the fact that his lack of action is killing people. Most people are smart enough to know what is happening. His supporters? Not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT