ADVERTISEMENT

Cuban loves crean,

For the 10000000000000 time.....

THE BUYOUT IS NOT A PROBLEM.......

Getting enough to money for Stevens is a different story... :)

Glass is happy with how things are going now! We can put a beating on anybody outside the top 200.

Reactions: Moops
The buyout really isn't the problem. I believe it is at approximately $7.5 million at this stage. He would not be required to receive all of that up front. When you look at the language of the contract it states that he would be paid from the "period date of termination to the normal expiration date", which is 2020. I think $1.5 million over the next 5 years is very reasonable, and if Glass wanted him gone, the buyout shouldn't be the issue here. The problem is that Crean is doing just enough to get by (i.e bringing in above average recruiting classes to keep people somewhat excited), and Glass has settled for this mediocrity. Glass and Crean both need to go, not just Crean.

Reactions: IU40IU
The buyout really isn't the problem. I believe it is at approximately $7.5 million at this stage. He would not be required to receive all of that up front. When you look at the language of the contract it states that he would be paid from the "period date of termination to the normal expiration date", which is 2020. I think $1.5 million over the next 5 years is very reasonable, and if Glass wanted him gone, the buyout shouldn't be the issue here. The problem is that Crean is doing just enough to get by (i.e bringing in above average recruiting classes to keep people somewhat excited), and Glass has settled for this mediocrity. Glass and Crean both need to go, not just Crean.

Further, I believe it is reduced by whatever other salary he makes. So unless he plans to retire, IU would not be on the hook for the full $1.5M/yr.

That's correct. He either has to retire or actively pursue another "comparable position". Once of if he obtains a new position, then IU's obligation to pay is offset and reduced dollar-for-dollar by the his new compensation. So again, the buyout is not the issue here!

I doubt that Glass is happy with Tom, but was stuck last year and couldn't make a change. What coach would come here knowing Tom got a huge extension and 2 seasons later gets fired? That tells any potential candidates that you have no job security at Indiana. With another year passing, the timing might be better this March.

And as others have said, the buyout is not an issue. There are plenty of deep pocketed donors out there who are much lower profile than Mark Cuban.

I doubt that Glass is happy with Tom, but was stuck last year and couldn't make a change. What coach would come here knowing Tom got a huge extension and 2 seasons later gets fired? That tells any potential candidates that you have no job security at Indiana. With another year passing, the timing might be better this March.

And as others have said, the buyout is not an issue. There are plenty of deep pocketed donors out there who are much lower profile than Mark Cuban.
You have job security at iu if you win kinda like alot of places. Eight years is more then enough time or are we still saying the first three years don't count. Lol.

Crean has been at a tradition rich school for 8 years, and he is a mediocre coach at best: seems to me like the job security is pretty darn good, even irrationally so. If the buyout terms in Crean's contract aren't security, then I don't know what is.

You either win at the big time schools in college football and college basketball or get sent packing. It is no different anywhere else than Indiana, and Indiana has been quite lenient compared to other schools.

how is IU going to get the buyout now?
I might have missed something. Was there some article or something that said that Cuban loved Crean? I wish it was the opposite and he'd front the cash to buy him out and to hire somebody worth a crap to replace him.

Cuban is very rich and I think he must therefore be sharp in what he does. BUT I have no clue what he would know about basketball other than watching NBA. One of the first things you learn in sports is deff. wins championships. And players of lesser talent will beat talent by effort , having court sense and playing as a team. At 67 years of age I have seen and been a part of good and bad basketball. IU has some very talented players and when playing hard on off. they are fun to watch. My hope is that as the year goes on we can get the same effort on deff. Not holding my breath.

I don't think Glass loves Crean. I think he thought with most of the group returning and Bryant coming in Crean deserved another season to show significant improvement. If this team doesn't get a lot better soon, and it doesn't finish near the top of the league, and/or it doesn't have a nice run in the NCAA tourney, Crean is probably done at IU. A more manageable buyout this year certainly helps in that regard.

I don't think Glass loves Crean. I think he thought with most of the group returning and Bryant coming in Crean deserved another season to show significant improvement. If this team doesn't get a lot better soon, and it doesn't finish near the top of the league, and/or it doesn't have a nice run in the NCAA tourney, Crean is probably done at IU. A more manageable buyout this year certainly helps in that regard.
Significant improvement to me means he then better win at least 5-6 more games then last year. Glass honestly thought that would happen? Has he not watched crean coach for 7 years?

I don't know if Glass loves Crean or not. I think buyout money is more important than winning basketball games is.

I might have missed something. Was there some article or something that said that Cuban loved Crean? I wish it was the opposite and he'd front the cash to buy him out and to hire somebody worth a crap to replace him.

there has been a lot of posters claiming that Cuban would pay for the buyout.

A lot of posters? I haven't seen a single poster claiming Cuban was going to buy Crean out.

Again, the buyout is NOT a problem.

Indiana will receive over 35 million from the B10 network next
spring.....just that is enough to do whatever they want.

So, one post from Febuary and one from March is "a lot of posters"?

You can probably find more posts saying Knight is going to be the next IU AD.....lol

And more importantly, IU can easily handle the buyout.....easily.....

Of course the buyout is not a problem, IU has settled for mediocrity. Tom will be the coach next year.

So, one post from Febuary and one from March is "a lot of posters"?

You can probably find more posts saying Knight is going to be the next IU AD.....lol

And more importantly, IU can easily handle the buyout.....easily.....
There are more than two post, you also can use the search feature.

Good for him but who cares what he says.

While he does not invest much to the athletic department (that we know of) he is heavily vested in the KSOB. It would be a very very bad move for overall funding at IU to piss Cuban off. So, in answer to your question...a ship load of people, people who want Cuban's donation money for academic growth as well as the possibility of bigger honorariums for facilities creation or improvements. I'd venture to guess that if it came down to you, and 15 people like you on this board or Cuban, the university would kick you and your 15 buddies to the curb. Money talks and BS walks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT