ADVERTISEMENT

Crime is up

I'll tell you about lagging indicators, by gawd. Yesterday was the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year. From here on out, we'll be getting more sun than the day before. So why are January and February always colder than October and November?
That is a good thing. I’m glad to hear that re sunshine. When I got to school my boy was still sleeping for nap time. One more hour and it’s dark anyway. You’ll like this. They get one stuffed animal they can bring to school and sleep with. So I got him an opossum from bass pro shop. Makes me laugh every time I see that tail hanging out

At least that is the narrative. It appears 2023 has crime down, way down in some areas.

Murder is down 12.7 percent in our YTD murder dashboard as of this writing (December 7th) with a decline in 73 percent of the more than 175 cities with available data. The sample suggests either the largest or one of the largest national declines in murder on record occurred this year (both in terms of percent and absolute decline)​
Detroit is on pace to have the fewest murders since 1966 and Baltimore and St Louis are on pace for the fewest murders in each city in nearly a decade. Other cities that saw huge increases in murder between 2020 and 2022 like Milwaukee, New Orleans, and Houston are seeing sizable declines in 2023.​
Murder is down 13.4 percent in cities under 100,000 with data in the sample and it’s down 12.6 percent in cities with 250,000 or more.​
The crime trend nationally is incredibly positive — unless you own a Kia or Hyundai.​

• Percent Change In Crime Through Q3, 2022 vs 2023 (Source: FBI).​
Kind of like how inflation is down......

That is a good thing. I’m glad to hear that re sunshine. When I got to school my boy was still sleeping for nap time. One more hour and it’s dark anyway. You’ll like this. They get one stuffed animal they can bring to school and sleep with. So I got him an opossum from bass pro shop. Makes me laugh every time I see that tail hanging out
You’re training him to take over the Dream Team when your run is over. Nice! Knight couldn’t even pull that off.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66 and DANC
I'm not sure how helpful nationwide averaged data is for most of us. I'm glad it's down, obviously.

But the fact is, we are all segregated to a large degree. If crime is super high in inner-city neighborhoods and you never go there, most don't notice it or care. Conversely, if you're a suburbanite and crime goes down in the inner city, but you see more car jackings, that affects you (even if you aren't car jacked). In rural areas, I would think it concerning when meth rates are up, but the national average down.

Of course, a lot of this, as you note, is perception. 20 years ago crime rates might have been higher, but we didn't have access to Twitter videos showing a dangerous event that occurred very near us. Not sure if that's a good or bad development.
Great points. It is hard to believe crime is down when, every night, there are videos of gangs walking into stores, and walking out with armfuls of merchandise without any repercussions.

I'll tell you about lagging indicators, by gawd. Yesterday was the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year. From here on out, we'll be getting more sun than the day before. So why are January and February always colder than October and November?
You need to stop listening to so miuch Earle Bailey on Deep Tracks.

It's hitting institutions...

In-n-out has to be the most overrated chain in America.

Good burgers, yeah, but thin as hell and a lot of bun. No thanks.

There is a Whataburger that's opening not far from us. I think it's a Texas chain - anyone familiar with it?

Reactions: BradStevens

There is a Whataburger that's opening not far from us. I think it's a Texas chain - anyone familiar with it?

I’ve heard good things but haven’t tried it. IaO is all over Cali though.

Reactions: DANC

I don't think Whataburger is very good. Some people love it.

Culver's is THE place to go. Nothing compares on the fast food level of burger.

I agree. Double Deluxe Cheeseburger.....mmmm-mmmm-mmmmmmmm

Although I give a really really really close 2nd to Freddy's California Style double cheeseburger. The difference is, Freddy's is not as consistent at Culver's.

Reactions: BradStevens

First time I had it I was in college on spring break in South Padre Island. I thought it was THE best fast food I had ever had.

Later I would go on to live in Texas for a few years, by the time I left I couldn’t drive by one without being revolted. Don’t go with the burger, do the Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich. Its edible. Onion rings are okay too.

Last edited:
Freddy’s is a cleaner updated steak $ shake save chili

ever been to Carl's in Brentwood off Manchester just west of Brentwood Blvd? we grew up going there. smash burger heaven w fish bowl rootbeers. my dad was super friendly with the owner, so I assumed they were long-time friends but it turns out my dad just went there A LOT. lol

but it turns out my dad just went there A LOT. lol
you owe me a lap top if mine is ****ed up now. i just spit iced tea all over it. you know that was a front right? they were running bets out of there!!

that place was legendary. sooooooooooooooo damn good. a smashed burger, fries, dog and fishbowl rootbeer in a frozen mug. i think ownership changed some time ago. we actually used to go drinking from time to time down the street at the trainwreck. brett hull and the blues' guys and alll their groupies would be there

you owe me a lap top if mine is ****ed up now. i just spit iced tea all over it. you know that was a front right? they were running bets out of there!!

that place was legendary. sooooooooooooooo damn good. a smashed burger, fries, dog and fishbowl rootbeer in a frozen mug. i think ownership changed some time ago. we actually used to go drinking from time to time down the street at the trainwreck. brett hull and the blues' guys and alll their groupies would be there

ahh, the owner back then was a HUGE sports fan. not a shocker. we'd drive through rock hill to get there and everyone back then went exactly 30 on Manchester because officer Ziegler would give you a ticket for going 2 over. another f'ing legend. if you knew of him, then we've led parallel friggin lives. too funny. I've bowled more than a few times at Brentwood bowl. RIP. I think train wreck was still going last time I drove by.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
ahh, the owner back then was a HUGE sports fan. not a shocker. we'd drive through rock hill to get there and everyone back then went exactly 30 on Manchester because officer Ziegler would give you a ticket for going 2 over. another f'ing legend. if you knew of him, then we've led parallel friggin lives. too funny. I've bowled more than a few times at Brentwood bowl. RIP. I think train wreck was still going last time I drove by.
LOL yes rock hill is still an awful speed trap right there. the courthouse was in a little strip mall next to farottos. yes trainwreck is still kicking but it's really gone down hill. they should serve their food with a diaper now. too funny

• Haha
Reactions: manichi
At least that is the narrative. It appears 2023 has crime down, way down in some areas.

Murder is down 12.7 percent in our YTD murder dashboard as of this writing (December 7th) with a decline in 73 percent of the more than 175 cities with available data. The sample suggests either the largest or one of the largest national declines in murder on record occurred this year (both in terms of percent and absolute decline)​
Detroit is on pace to have the fewest murders since 1966 and Baltimore and St Louis are on pace for the fewest murders in each city in nearly a decade. Other cities that saw huge increases in murder between 2020 and 2022 like Milwaukee, New Orleans, and Houston are seeing sizable declines in 2023.​
Murder is down 13.4 percent in cities under 100,000 with data in the sample and it’s down 12.6 percent in cities with 250,000 or more.​
The crime trend nationally is incredibly positive — unless you own a Kia or Hyundai.​

• Percent Change In Crime Through Q3, 2022 vs 2023 (Source: FBI).​
Nobody can afford to buy bullets. 😅 😅

Italian beef, hot peppers, DIPPED. mmmmm

giphy.gif

You need the

combo-ashin-combo.gif

Forgot to mention... I was just at Napoli back to back nights last week! Clayton is hopping. Downtown STL....

jay-z-ooh.gif
i had dinner there last wed lol. my old office was directly across the street and that's where i took my ex stoker for happy hours. best outdoor patio in stl in the summer. so much better italian food than on the hill. the owner tony is a soccer guy. he still plays over 70

i had dinner there last wed lol. my old office was directly across the street and that's where i took my ex stoker for happy hours. best outdoor patio in stl in the summer. so much better italian food than on the hill. the owner tony is a soccer guy. he still plays over 70

I was there on Wednesday! You probably saw the 5'1", 300 lbs. guy with a bunch of old men and women.

Tony is a great guy. I met him on Thursday actually. He came over and chatted for a bit. He's got such a good story about starting the restaurant.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I was there on Wednesday! You probably saw the 5'1", 300 lbs. guy with a bunch of old men and women.

Tony is a great guy. I met him on Thursday actually. He came over and chatted for a bit. He's got such a good story about starting the restaurant.
that is too funny. yeah tony's awesome. good little soccer player too. did you like the food? they have incredibly reasonable lunch prices. he has three more restaurants around town. in my midlife crisis ballin days that was the spot - wounded antelopes everywhere

• Haha
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
that is too funny. yeah tony's awesome. good little soccer player too. did you like the food? they have incredibly reasonable lunch prices. he has three more restaurants around town. in my midlife crisis ballin days that was the spot - wounded antelopes everywhere

yea, food is great. I was there once or twice last year. Arancini and meatball apps were solid. I like the Sea Bass and Linguine Salsiccia. Next time I want to get the Chicken Parmigiana. I'm trying not to look like such a mess in front of the group though...

I'm crying at the wounded antelopes comment. I picture two things...

They're trying to get away, but you say f that

EK2pjfb.gif

Sometimes they fight back...

I7zapm.gif

yea, food is great. I was there once or twice last year. Arancini and meatball apps were solid. I like the Sea Bass and Linguine Salsiccia. Next time I want to get the Chicken Parmigiana. I'm trying not to look like such a mess in front of the group though...

I'm crying at the wounded antelopes comment. I picture two things...

They're trying to get away, but you say f that

EK2pjfb.gif

Sometimes they fight back...

I7zapm.gif
the patio is something else in the summer. sooooooooo many douchebags that if you have an ounce of humor and self deprecation while still dressing the part those wounded antelopes didn't stand a chance - ahhhhhhhhhh to be young again. damn it. @BradStevens that's the randomness you don't expect. gettin old!!!!!!!!!

Culver's is great if you want a place that has the giant fast food menu so you can get your onion ring or cheese curd fix or you're with someone who for some crazy reason is hankering for a fish sandwich. But if all you really want is a burger, I'd go Five Guys before Culver's.

Reactions: NPT
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT