ADVERTISEMENT

Crime is up

That might be true. I’ve posted a lot about unsustainable policies, which have not only redoubled under Biden, but are becoming chronic long term issues. If you think that is a sign of my anger, you need to think again.

We can call it grievances then. The true optimist realizes the world changes. We lived in a different world than our parents who lived in a different world than their parents. That goes back to cavemen days. Most times aren't better or worse, just different.

It seems happy people should find times to actually appear, happy.

The studies show what I would expect. The biggest demographic of conservatives, White males. What group has been overrepresented in power and wealth throughout American history. Black females are overrepresented in liberals, what group has had very little power or wealth throughout American history.

Studies on happiness reflect the happiness.

America has been a great nation, is a great nation, will continue to be a great nation for the foreseeable future. We make mistakes, we aren't perfect. No one is. Fix them as they are found and be happy for all we have and have had.

But when good news happens, enjoy it. There are too many people like some Bengals fans that are mad they are winning without Burrow because it has lost them a high draft pick. I don't get it, let's make the playoffs and see what happens from there

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
We lived in a different world than our parents who lived in a different world than their parents.
What has changed in the world that requires the Biden administration to repudiate border law enforcement?

What has changed to destroy regular order in congressional activities?

What has changed that justifies zero cash bail?

Finally what has changed that requires black kids to graduate high school without math and reading skills?

And I’ve pretty much had it with this white Male privilege bullshit . White males have been at the forefront of every important technological, human rights, and improving quality of life issue in our history. Pick out any large city with seemingly insurmountable economic and social issues and who is in charge?

Last edited:
At least that is the narrative. It appears 2023 has crime down, way down in some areas.

Murder is down 12.7 percent in our YTD murder dashboard as of this writing (December 7th) with a decline in 73 percent of the more than 175 cities with available data. The sample suggests either the largest or one of the largest national declines in murder on record occurred this year (both in terms of percent and absolute decline)​
Detroit is on pace to have the fewest murders since 1966 and Baltimore and St Louis are on pace for the fewest murders in each city in nearly a decade. Other cities that saw huge increases in murder between 2020 and 2022 like Milwaukee, New Orleans, and Houston are seeing sizable declines in 2023.​
Murder is down 13.4 percent in cities under 100,000 with data in the sample and it’s down 12.6 percent in cities with 250,000 or more.​
The crime trend nationally is incredibly positive — unless you own a Kia or Hyundai.​

• Percent Change In Crime Through Q3, 2022 vs 2023 (Source: FBI).​
I'm not sure how helpful nationwide averaged data is for most of us. I'm glad it's down, obviously.

But the fact is, we are all segregated to a large degree. If crime is super high in inner-city neighborhoods and you never go there, most don't notice it or care. Conversely, if you're a suburbanite and crime goes down in the inner city, but you see more car jackings, that affects you (even if you aren't car jacked). In rural areas, I would think it concerning when meth rates are up, but the national average down.

Of course, a lot of this, as you note, is perception. 20 years ago crime rates might have been higher, but we didn't have access to Twitter videos showing a dangerous event that occurred very near us. Not sure if that's a good or bad development.

I'm not sure how helpful nationwide averaged data is for most of us. I'm glad it's down, obviously.

But the fact is, we are all segregated to a large degree. If crime is super high in inner-city neighborhoods and you never go there, most don't notice it or care. Conversely, if you're a suburbanite and crime goes down in the inner city, but you see more car jackings, that affects you (even if you aren't car jacked). In rural areas, I would think it concerning when meth rates are up, but the national average down.

Of course, a lot of this, as you note, is perception. 20 years ago crime rates might have been higher, but we didn't have access to Twitter videos showing a dangerous event that occurred very near us. Not sure if that's a good or bad development.
Right, there is a certain amount of location, location, location. There could be just one murder in America, but if it is my family member then murder is still a major issue to me.

But overall the narrative is that we are in a dystopian movie like Escape From NY. Crime IS a problem. It is still far better than it was when I was young. It is better than the last 3 years. Obviously we want better, but progress is progress. Even if we could get to zero crime, it won't happen overnight. This is a journey of a thousand miles moment.

Reactions: BradStevens
What has changed in the world that requires the Biden administration to repudiate border law enforcement?

What has changed to destroy regular order in confessional activities?

What has changed that justifies zero cash bail?

Finally what has changed that requires black kids to graduate high school without math and reading skills?

And I’ve pretty much had it with this white Male privilege bullshit . White males have been at the forefront of every important technological, human rights, and improving quality of life issue in our history. Pick out any large city with seemingly insurmountable economic and social issues and who is in charge?
We have been fighting about immigrants since the country was formed. Not much has changed.

What the **** is "regular order in confessional activities".?

Zero cash bail seems ridiculous until you look at how broken our criminal justice system is. It's still ridiculous but it fits in will all the other ridiculous shit we've done for the past century.

Do kids, that are not diagnosed with mental handicap, really graduate without being able to read and write. Is this a wide spread issue or something anadotyl?

Democrats are also in charge of most of the safest cities in the US. Democrats are in charge of most cities period.

Last edited:
If a bear eats a disc golfer in the woods does anybody notice?
Favorite animal adjacent story:

Course I play is lowland area next to White River. You see deer, rabbits, squirrels. The usual. Anyway, i'm off the fairway, find my disc. Next to an enormous tree. I'm not really paying much attention as I'm trying to figure out how to straddle a log while not falling down an embankment. I'm about a foot away from this tree.

Getting ready to throw when something catches my peripheral vision.

Basically this;

fs3gv9wz40b11.jpg

Just slithering around from the other side of the tree. Luckily it's Indiana so just a dumbass egg stealing rat snake.

Shit gets dicey down in the southern US of course.

puts a new spin on "water hazard"

• Wow
Reactions: larsIU
puts a new spin on "water hazard"

Yeah, for me it's the reach down and get bit by rattlesnake/copperhead kind of anxiety. I guess you just don't put your hands in leaves and what not

Course I play is lowland area next to White River. You see deer, rabbits, squirrels. The usual. Anyway, i'm off the fairway, find my disc. Next to an enormous tree. I'm not really paying much attention as I'm trying to figure out how to straddle a log while not falling down an embankment. I'm about a foot away from this tree.

Basically this;

fs3gv9wz40b11.jpg

Just slithering around from the other side of the tree. Luckily it's Indiana so just a dumbass egg stealing rat snake.

Just watch out for one of those recently-imported man swallowing Anacondas.

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU

Basically this;

fs3gv9wz40b11.jpg

You’re a ****ing dick. **** you and **** that pic.

At least that is the narrative. It appears 2023 has crime down, way down in some areas.

Murder is down 12.7 percent in our YTD murder dashboard as of this writing (December 7th) with a decline in 73 percent of the more than 175 cities with available data. The sample suggests either the largest or one of the largest national declines in murder on record occurred this year (both in terms of percent and absolute decline)​
Detroit is on pace to have the fewest murders since 1966 and Baltimore and St Louis are on pace for the fewest murders in each city in nearly a decade. Other cities that saw huge increases in murder between 2020 and 2022 like Milwaukee, New Orleans, and Houston are seeing sizable declines in 2023.​
Murder is down 13.4 percent in cities under 100,000 with data in the sample and it’s down 12.6 percent in cities with 250,000 or more.​
The crime trend nationally is incredibly positive — unless you own a Kia or Hyundai.​

It’s a good thing that crime is down. But do people feel safer? Doesn’t seem like it. The question is, how long will those feelings last vs data trends? Car jackings being so much higher seems to have a disproportionate effect on people.

It’s a good thing that crime is down. But do people feel safer? Doesn’t seem like it. The question is, how long will those feelings last vs data trends? Car jackings being so much higher seems to have a disproportionate effect on people.
I think safety is a lag indicator. Then I think we have rose-colored glasses on how life used to be. Lastly I think there is a political narrative that pushes the idea everything is worse without regard to the truth.*

* this last idea is true in many areas and isn't entirely one sided.

One thing they don't show on that chart is cyber crime unless it's included in one of those categories. I'm glad crime is down but I don't think it's the result of anything the people in charge of enforcing the law has done.... or at least I don't see it if there is.

I think safety is a lag indicator. Then I think we have rose-colored glasses on how life used to be. Lastly I think there is a political narrative that pushes the idea everything is worse without regard to the truth.*

I don’t think it’s rose colored glasses it was ignorance was bliss. Crime is incredibly bad right now and so much isn’t collected or reported and maybe it was then too but today we see everything with our neighborhood apps and door cams etc. I can’t believe what people post from people looking in cars at 5 am with assault rifles to peeping toms. All on the neighborhood app. Tech puts it in our faces today

I don’t think it’s rose colored glasses it was ignorance was bliss. Crime is incredibly bad right now and so much isn’t collected or reported and maybe it was then too but today we see everything with our neighborhood apps and door cams etc. I can’t believe what people post from people looking in cars at 5 am with assault rifles to peeping toms. All on the neighborhood app. Tech puts it in our faces today
Criminals banding together committing robberies in packs reduces the crime counts. What used to be 8-10 individual crimes is now 1. 😬

Criminals banding together committing robberies in packs reduces the crime counts. What used to be 8-10 individual crimes is now 1. 😬
Yeah that’s how these gangs are rolling through our neighborhoods breaking into cars. They’re in groups and armed to tie teeth. Bmw stolen about two weeks ago a few blocks over. One guy I know used to run at 5 am and stopped. Won’t do it now bc it’s still dark.

Fund the police. Removal of progressive soros DAs. All of the things that came in with the progressives have been dumped and things are improving.

I think you are def half right. Kim Gardener has only been gone since Feb 2023. UMSL criminologist Rick Rosenfeld thinks it's the end of Ferguson Effect and resumption of social services after the pandemic. Am pals with a PHD who worked with him at UMSL.

Yeah that’s how these gangs are rolling through our neighborhoods breaking into cars. They’re in groups and armed to tie teeth. Bmw stolen about two weeks ago a few blocks over. One guy I know used to run at 5 am and stopped. Won’t do it now bc it’s still dark.
He probably was just looking for an excuse the wife would accept. He should try it for yardwork, too. "Sorry, honey, it's starting to get too dark to mow. Don't want to get jumped."

I think you are def half right. Kim Gardener has only been gone since Feb 2023. UMSL criminologist Rick Rosenfeld thinks it's the end of Ferguson Effect and resumption of social services after the pandemic. Am pals with a PHD who worked with him at UMSL.

I read Rosenfeld a lot and like him. We got rid of the Soros prosecutor so murderers are actually being charged and held and not on the streets, got a new police chief, and the business leaders have formed committees and put in money to help etc., all on top of those factors you noted. Now hopefully bell beats cori bush. With the insane prices of homes the city has a chance of it can get crime and schools sorted

Reactions: manichi
He probably was just looking for an excuse the wife would accept. He should try it for yardwork, too. "Sorry, honey, it's starting to get too dark to mow. Don't want to get jumped."
Lol. Last year at the same time our mailman got jacked. They jacked our damn mailman

I read Rosenfeld a lot and like him. We got rid of the Soros prosecutor so murderers are actually being charged and held and not on the streets, got a new police chief, and the business leaders have formed committees and put in money to help etc., all on top of those factors you noted. Now hopefully bell beats cori bush. With the insane prices of homes the city has a chance of it can get crime and schools sorted
Wife is from St. Louis, so we're there a lot. I lived there until HS. Lots of new apartment buildings going up. Good to see. Spent time at the Foundry/ City Winery recently. Saw a jazz show. Cool spot. The BJC medical complex has become insane. we've considered buying rental property near there. Wash U and SLU will survive and maybe thrive after the coming college extinction event.

Wife is from St. Louis, so we're there a lot. I lived there until HS. Lots of new apartment buildings going up. Good to see. Spent time at the Foundry/ City Winery recently. Saw a jazz show. Cool spot. The BJC medical complex has become insane. we've considered buying rental property near there. Wash U and SLU will survive and maybe thrive after the coming college extinction event.
Small world. Yes totally insane. My daughter has chronic pancreatitis. About every three months she spends a week at children’s all hopped up on goofballs. When she’s out I walk all around there. The growth is nuts

Small world. Yes totally insane. My daughter has chronic pancreatitis. About every three months she spends a week at children’s all hopped up on goofballs. When she’s out I walk all around there. The growth is nuts
Sorry she deals with that. Must be a strong kid.

I've lost track of city/ county merger talk? any steam behind that anymore? I've always been for it in principle but have never blamed the cnty for being wary. tough to sell people on the long game.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Sorry she deals with that. Must be a strong kid.

I've lost track of city/ county merger talk? any steam behind that anymore? I've always been for it in principle but have never blamed the cnty for being wary. tough to sell people on the long game.
She is!! Thanks. It was poppin a year ago then died off

Reactions: manichi

I'll tell you about lagging indicators, by gawd. Yesterday was the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year. From here on out, we'll be getting more sun than the day before. So why are January and February always colder than October and November?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT