ADVERTISEMENT

Hahaha. This is too good. Rudest people too

Bloomington was at its best in 1967, when we had a Rose Bowl-bound football team.

All I've been able to witness is IU Soccer

sad-walk-of-shame.gif

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: IUINSB and larsIU
My daughter has parlayed Kelley into a very good job. I'd recommend IU, at least for business, to any kid who can get in.

Check out #8:

It's worked OK for me, 20 years in. I've never been unemployed or underemployed. Most of you would say I'm over-employed, considering my personal behavior.

Now the rampant alcoholism. That's a true IU gift that will carry you all the way through life.

"Bloomington was only fine when I was there." :rolleyes:
No, stop trying to create an argument that isn't there. I said my time there was fine. I think I was there in a period where Bloomington was starting to transition a bit from the small town kind of in the middle of nowhere south central Indiana to a burgeoning city connected to an interstate. It was always more liberal than the rest of the state but other factors have led to some of that liberalism being more of a problem than in the past (like the opioid epidemic and Bloomington's lax approach to homeless vagrants on its streets.)

Jill Behrman happened while I was on campus and everyone was shocked by it. That type of stuff didn't happen down there. When my nieces were looking at schools, one of the cons against it (and neither ultimately went there) was the prevalent trend of young women ending up dead and/or sexually assaulted in Bloomington. "Well that happens anywhere..." Yeah, but it wasn't something that many girls I knew at the time were factoring into their IU decision and it has become one for many girls now. One of my nieces graduated 2 years ago and the other is about to be a junior in college. They weren't the only ones.

I hear about more bad stuff happening down there now than I did when I actually lived in town. I still go to visit at times and if you hit up certain places you are good to go but the city has gotten a little rougher around the edges, particularly outside of campus and the developed area around the square.

If you are not a student, or a cali transplant, or IU faculty, or an academic type, Bloomington sucks. If you are a "local" legacy Monroe county resident, Bloomington has slowly turned into San Fran or LA communism.
You forgot "if you are not an alumni" (which I assume from your posts that you are not)

For alumni, btown is awesome.

Laid back. great food and music. Good people. Homeless population around Kirkwood lower than i have seen it in decades (based on two visits this year).

Further Left of this moderate in general, but I will take that over maga mouthbreahing redneckery any day.

Last edited:

Based on that data, Bloomington is the most stressed city in the state. However, based on some other data that I have seen, Bloomington is also (apparently) the rudest city in Indiana and on top of that, the college town also was named as one of the most dangerous cities in the state.
The "stressed" ranking seems to driven 100% by the cost of homes, which makes sense. Attractive place to live. Among the three negative drivers...Hours worked was average and commute was 15 minutes.

The "dangerous" rating is #9 in the state behind SB, Eville, Laffy, Indy etc. Considering 45K young people drinking that isn;t bad at all.

Looks like WKDQ did a poor job of selecting and analyzing a survey,

Edit: So I watched the video...JHC this Wendy woman puts the pros and cons out...her cons are exclusively the result of people wanting to move to Btown...higher home prices and limited inventory. Duh.

Welcome to a desireable place to live Wendy. Also she sobs about two apt complexes on the south side that she can't make money on.

If you need a Realtor in Btown...don't look at wendy.

Last edited:
It's worked OK for me, 20 years in. I've never been unemployed or underemployed. Most of you would say I'm over-employed, considering my personal behavior.

Now the rampant alcoholism. That's a true IU gift that will carry you all the way through life.
I get tired of the IU and Bloomington bashing by people here and elsewhere who know little about the university or the town.

It's actually part of a much larger issue, the burgeoning "anti-intellectual" and "anti-college" movement that, unfortunately, seems to be primarily on one side of the aisle. You know, the idea that college is for girls, pussies, the "uppity" and the woke, the belief that college makes you part of the despised "elite," and the argument that you'll be indoctrinated into fascism and/or communism while you're there.

I fully recognize that college isn't for everyone, and there's no shame in not going. Vocational training is important. There are decent paying jobs and trades (although not as many as there once were, thanks to jobs that are now offshored, automation and AI) that can be acquired without a degree. But there sure as fvck isn't shame in going to college. College graduates tend to earn significantly more over their lifetimes than those without a degree. I learned to critically think and to effectively communicate in college and beyond. There are people without degrees who can do those things, but those skills are a helluva lot harder to master without higher education.

I love some of these Ivy League-educated elites who now talk about elites in the third person and take shots at higher education. Ron "Yale and Harvard" DeSantis is Exhibit A. A while back, when referencing a WSJ article reflecting that 60% of college students are now women when 50 years ago that figure was closer to 40%, DeSantis commented: "I guess there was a decline in the number of men, the percentage of men going to college or whatever. And they acted like this was a bad thing. And, honestly, like, you know, to me, I think that is probably a good sign." That's because, according to Ronny D, this is what you get at college: "intellectual repression" and "indoctrination." Somehow he managed to avoid all that, though - - at Yale and Harvard. What a fvcked-up message.

Reactions: outside shooter
My drunk freshman ass was there. I had no idea I was living in the golden age of IU football at the time.
The Van Waiters strip and score was the funniest goddamned thing I have ever seen in a football game.

Place was rolling

The only sane part of Indiana is Trump country. I wounder why that is.
I see Shitter could be the Bloomington Mayor just like that one that made the round about flower pots and the mass LGBTQ weddings. It (shitter) fits the profile of what has ruined Bloomington

What's up with the flower pots?

This thread has been a good filter for separating those who are IU fans because they are grads, and those who just like a certain athletic program of a specific era.
My wife and I are not only grads, but we also live in Bloomington. In fact, our home is just a mile from Memorial Stadium and since I69 was finished and the new research hospital was completed our home has
The "stressed" ranking seems to driven 100% by the cost of homes, which makes sense. Attractive place to live. Among the three negative drivers...Hours worked was average and commute was 15 minutes.

The "dangerous" rating is #9 in the state behind SB, Eville, Laffy, Indy etc. Considering 45K young people drinking that isn;t bad at all.

Edit: So I watched the video...JHC this Wendy woman puts the pros and cons out...her cons are exclusively the result of people wanting to move to Btown...higher home prices and limited inventory. Duh.

Welcome to a desireable place to live Wendy. Also she sobs about two apt complexes on the south side that she can't make money on.

We bought our current home in 2017 and subsequently I69 has been finished (around Bloomington) and we have the new IU research hospital. Both are very close to us and this has caused our appraisal value to skyrocket, but so has our property taxes — trade off I guess.

Yes, there’s a big housing shortage for single family homes here, but a lot of that is due to investors buying up homes and renting them out, which means first-time home buyers are squeezed out with no available homes in their price range. That’s a national problem though, not just a Bloomington problem.

If college graduates earn significantly more
In their lifetime. Why doesn’t College teach you to pay their loans off. Dead Beats.
Significantly more depends significantly on locality. And if you're making significantly more I guarantee your cost of living is eating it up. It's all relative.

What's up with the flower pots?
Oh you had to be there, as part of the straight indigenous Bloomington/ Monroe county community to fully understand. It ranks right up there with that giant patch of effing weeds "we" designed between college and walnut, north of 17th street.

NOW, I will pick on the locals that STILL hate round a bouts. Hating those is simply an en-grained response which is silly.

Oh you had to be there, as part of the straight indigenous Bloomington/ Monroe county community to fully understand. It ranks right up there with that giant patch of effing weeds "we" designed between college and walnut, north of 17th street.

NOW, I will pick on the locals that STILL hate round a bouts. Hating those is simply an en-grained response which is silly.
Round a bouts are awesome.

Round a bouts are awesome.
Roundabouts are indeed awesome. Roundabout Dickheads are not

Those that make a point to charge in cutting people off and honking at old women and others that might not be used to them because they “know so much”.

Reactions: Cthulhu85

Where is Long Beach?

"Bloomington was only fine when I was there." :rolleyes:
Seems to be the theme. And someone not liking it in Bloomington and leaving is nothing new. Every year I was there I always knew of a few people that hated it and left. Turns out they were just miserable f***s who hated it everywhere they went.

Those that make a point to charge in cutting people off and honking at old women and others that might not be used to them because they “know so much”.

Had my first experience with a confused elderly lady going the wrong way around a roundabout the other day. We all just came to a dead stop and let her figure were way out.

• Love
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Most of you would say I'm over-employed, considering my personal behavior.
I get this. My imposter syndrome is barely kept at bay sometimes. In a “you all really took that shit seriously?” kind of way.

Signing a contract on behalf of your employer is a trip the first time you do it, especially when it was your recommendation.

Reactions: twenty02
No, stop trying to create an argument that isn't there. I said my time there was fine. I think I was there in a period where Bloomington was starting to transition a bit from the small town kind of in the middle of nowhere south central Indiana to a burgeoning city connected to an interstate. It was always more liberal than the rest of the state but other factors have led to some of that liberalism being more of a problem than in the past (like the opioid epidemic and Bloomington's lax approach to homeless vagrants on its streets.)

Jill Behrman happened while I was on campus and everyone was shocked by it. That type of stuff didn't happen down there. When my nieces were looking at schools, one of the cons against it (and neither ultimately went there) was the prevalent trend of young women ending up dead and/or sexually assaulted in Bloomington. "Well that happens anywhere..." Yeah, but it wasn't something that many girls I knew at the time were factoring into their IU decision and it has become one for many girls now. One of my nieces graduated 2 years ago and the other is about to be a junior in college. They weren't the only ones.

I hear about more bad stuff happening down there now than I did when I actually lived in town. I still go to visit at times and if you hit up certain places you are good to go but the city has gotten a little rougher around the edges, particularly outside of campus and the developed area around the square.
Jill was a friend of mine. The girl I was dating at the time was on a Little 500 team with her, Team Oz. I was at a party with Jill two days before she went missing. When I found out she was missing I had just finished eating at the Chinese buffet that was right there by Chi Chi’s (might have been Cheeseburger in Paradise at that point). Anyway, I was getting into my car and there was a flier under my windshield wiper. It was Jill’s picture and said “Missing”. I honestly thought it was a joke when I first saw it. Then I noticed all the other cars had a flier and knew it was real. Went to my girlfriend’s place to confirm.

Jill was a friend of mine. The girl I was dating at the time was on a Little 500 team with her, Team Oz. I was at a party with Jill two days before she went missing. When I found out she was missing I had just finished eating at the Chinese buffet that was right there by Chi Chi’s (might have been Cheeseburger in Paradise at that point). Anyway, I was getting into my car and there was a flier under my windshield wiper. It was Jill’s picture and said “Missing”. I honestly thought it was a joke when I first saw it. Then I noticed all the other cars had a flier and knew it was real. Went to my girlfriend’s place to confirm.
Yeah it was really shitty what was done to her.

Signing a contract on behalf of your employer is a trip the first time you do it, especially when it was your recommendation.

My ass puckered a bit when I signed the high 6 figure PO for raw materials that I had negotiated with our supplier. I got a great price and great terms, but we were locked in for five years.

I like roundabouts, but I think Carmel having a roundabout at every corner is ridiculous and can be a bit confusing. Bloomington has a good amount that are strategically placed.

I get tired of the IU and Bloomington bashing by people here and elsewhere who know little about the university or the town.

It's actually part of a much larger issue, the burgeoning "anti-intellectual" and "anti-college" movement that, unfortunately, seems to be primarily on one side of the aisle. You know, the idea that college is for girls, pussies, the "uppity" and the woke, the belief that college makes you part of the despised "elite," and the argument that you'll be indoctrinated into fascism and/or communism while you're there.

I fully recognize that college isn't for everyone, and there's no shame in not going. Vocational training is important. There are decent paying jobs and trades (although not as many as there once were, thanks to jobs that are now offshored, automation and AI) that can be acquired without a degree. But there sure as fvck isn't shame in going to college. College graduates tend to earn significantly more over their lifetimes than those without a degree. I learned to critically think and to effectively communicate in college and beyond. There are people without degrees who can do those things, but those skills are a helluva lot harder to master without higher education.

I love some of these Ivy League-educated elites who now talk about elites in the third person and take shots at higher education. Ron "Yale and Harvard" DeSantis is Exhibit A. A while back, when referencing a WSJ article reflecting that 60% of college students are now women when 50 years ago that figure was closer to 40%, DeSantis commented: "I guess there was a decline in the number of men, the percentage of men going to college or whatever. And they acted like this was a bad thing. And, honestly, like, you know, to me, I think that is probably a good sign." That's because, according to Ronny D, this is what you get at college: "intellectual repression" and "indoctrination." Somehow he managed to avoid all that, though - - at Yale and Harvard. What a fvcked-up message.
Fine.

I bet the people still stressing over student loan payments in their 30s, 40s, etc are singing a different tune.

Modern college is not worth it for many unless someone else is paying.

I like roundabouts, but I think Carmel having a roundabout at every corner is ridiculous and can be a bit confusing. Bloomington has a good amount that are strategically placed.

I'm not sold on the new one at Curry and Woodyard. Lots of big truck traffic through there.

I don't see that as much as I see out of towners not knowing how to deal with them. Like in the round about and stop when they see another car getting ready to enter. Or from the inside lane going straight when they are supposed to turn. Or just appearing out of sorts. The best thing to do is just keep going around till you get you bearing.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
If you are not a student, or a cali transplant, or IU faculty, or an academic type, Bloomington sucks. If you are a "local" legacy Monroe county resident, Bloomington has slowly turned into San Fran or LA communism.
The local Monroe county residents I know seem to love the place.
(My brother in law is a native son of Bloomington South).
Bloomington may no longer have the small town charm it used to have:
37-bypass, I-69, and Big Box chains have seen to that.
I think it’s got a way to go to get as bad as SF.

What an odd and overall silly click bait type of article. Reminded me of the ones you see on Facebook with a million "next" button clicks and pop-up ads.

Reactions: UncleMark
Bloomington may no longer have the small town charm it used to have:
37-bypass, I-69, and Big Box chains have seen to that.
I think it’s got a way to go to get as bad as SF.

Yeah, there's no such thing as small town retail anymore.

I get it, but as crowded as Carmel has become I cannot imagine traffic here with the old stop signs and traffic lights. It would be hell. You have to get used to it. People navigate them well. It's a huge traffic mover.

I remember Vail and I-70 and the mile long line. Insert roundabout, problem solved.

Pena, who ended up head of transportation under Clinton had left hand turn lanes thoughout the city of Denver and some counties followed, which was awesome. I would leave Denver, be in another city, get stuck behind a left turner and realize how good that set up was.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT