ADVERTISEMENT

Covid update from a doc on the front lines

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
I rarely post about Covid or vaccines, but I see a ton of anecdotal Covid-related stuff on the WC ("I know a guy who knows a guy..."), so I thought I'd get into the act.

I know a guy (in fact, he is one of my closest friends) who is an anesthesiologist at a hospital in Pennsylvania. This is, verbatim, what he texted me last night (I've added the bold highlighting):

I had thought last year at this time we would be through the worst of the pandemic by now but as we speak my hospital is bursting at the seams with Covid patients, in numbers that are the highest we have seen! Thankfully less people wind up on ventilators but the shear numbers of patients have filled our ICU and are wreaking havoc with our elective surgery schedules. Virtually all the inpatient cases are unvaccinated, in fact, I haven't seen a vaccinated patient on a ventilator throughout this whole mess. Despite this, the amount of vaccine misinformation is staggering, as is the amount of members of our staff who have bought into it and are unvaccinated themselves. Crazy times

I rarely post about Covid or vaccines, but I see a ton of anecdotal Covid-related stuff on the WC ("I know a guy who knows a guy..."), so I thought I'd get into the act.

I know a guy (in fact, he is one of my closest friends) who is an anesthesiologist at a hospital in Pennsylvania. This is, verbatim, what he texted me last night (I've added the bold highlighting):

I had thought last year at this time we would be through the worst of the pandemic by now but as we speak my hospital is bursting at the seams with Covid patients, in numbers that are the highest we have seen! Thankfully less people wind up on ventilators but the shear numbers of patients have filled our ICU and are wreaking havoc with our elective surgery schedules. Virtually all the inpatient cases are unvaccinated, in fact, I haven't seen a vaccinated patient on a ventilator throughout this whole mess. Despite this, the amount of vaccine misinformation is staggering, as is the amount of members of our staff who have bought into it and are unvaccinated themselves. Crazy times
Bad here too. Tho 1/3,of hospitalizations are vaccinated.

Reactions: vesuvius13

Yep I have two young family members that are ER Drs. They are burned out as hell right now caring for people in packed facilities, most of whom could have prevented this level of illness. And now kids are coming in at a higher rate than ever.

No point in posting this here though...like talking to a brick wall.

To me that’s more an indication of how old and unhealthy our society is. I imagine a vast majority of that 1/3 hit both these metrics. That’s what I find baffling…we haven’t addressed the biggest problem, which is how unbelievably unhealthy our population is.
Just walk around the grocery store and the amount of very overweight people is mind boggling. I mean smokers get bashed the most but there are far less smokers than thirty years ago and the obese have taken over basically taken over when the smokers quit. I doubt a 400 pound person is really anymore healthy than a pack a day smoker who is thin.

To me that’s more an indication of how old and unhealthy our society is. I imagine a vast majority of that 1/3 hit both these metrics. That’s what I find baffling…we haven’t addressed the biggest problem, which is how unbelievably unhealthy our population is.
The Fauci-led government response failed by focusing almost exclusively on stopping the spread. We should have had at least a parallel effort on treating those who were exposed. Telling such people to isolate themselves and go to the ER if sick is no treatment and might have killed 100’s of thousands of people. There was little if any mention of measures to take to boost our health and immune systems. Hydroxy and ivermectin works early after exposure, yet the government not only never recommended it, it specifically prohibited use based on irrelevant, and in at least one case phony, tests.

Yep I have two young family members that are ER Drs. They are burned out as hell right now caring for people in packed facilities, most of whom could have prevented this level of illness. And now kids are coming in at a higher rate than ever.

No point in posting this here though...like talking to a brick wall.
Yeah. My bud, who intubates people and is in a "bursting at the seams" hospital almost every day, says he hasn't had a single vaccinated patient on a vent, but who gives a shit? What does my delivery guy think? Or what does Tucker say?

I tell people there's a retired shyster in CO that knows everything.
Life-long learning is really cool.

5spv.jpg

Reactions: DANC
It’s hard to treat laziness

We have 1,158 Covid hospitalizations in the area. 332 are vaccinated.
Overall Mo has what, 53% vaccination rate. So the vaccines are doing reasonably well. Better if the 332 include people with 1 vaccination.

From what I have read, both people who had Delta and people with two vaccines are not showing the overall protection we hoped for, but boostered are.

Overall Mo has what, 53% vaccination rate. So the vaccines are doing reasonably well. Better if the 332 include people with 1 vaccination.

From what I have read, both people who had Delta and people with two vaccines are not showing the overall protection we hoped for, but boostered are.

Yeah and the city is in keeping at about 53 percent fully vaccinated

Isn't the booster another 1/2 dose?

Yes. IF what I read is accurate it makes a difference omicron.

To be fair, boosters would be newer. Delta infections could be from summer. It could be timing, it could be the extra half. I don't know.
Well I'm getting the impression that we're going to test unclebulk's theory as I think most of us are going to get it

Whether a mall, beach or a city street if you just watch people it’s disgusting how obese Americans are. I get on the scales every night before bed. It’s the worst time of day to weight yourself. I do it then so I know the worst. If my weight increases I’ll ration what I eat and lose what gained.

What your friend is experiencing sounds like our local hospitals.

I feel the misinformation started with the government. Now it’s out of control on the anti vaccine side.

Bad here too. Tho 1/3,of hospitalizations are vaccinated.

since day one our govt has flat out refused to give us all the needed facts, because they see info as power, so want control all the info.

every day, every US paper and all media should have a full list of,

covid hospitalizations

covid ICU numbers

covid vent numbers

covid deaths

which we can get now if we go looking hard enough, but are only a portion of the needed info.

all those numbers should also be broken down by age groups, (5 yr increments), and vax status, with the vax status also broken down in the age breakdown.

f46d06b1-d970-4db5-a420-6630e0cf9afe-Total_COVID_hospitalizations_IU_Health_SCR.png

think this chart, except all above info also broken down by age group as well.

take the above chart, which is still way more info than we usually get.

what if the 3 vaxed on a vent are all 85 plus, and the 5 unvaxed on vents are between 50 and 60.

or vice versa.

same with what if 3 of 4 or all 4 of the vaxed in the ICU are over 80, and 6 of the 11 unvaxed are under 65?

or vice versa.

that's absolutely needed and relevant info, and would give a significantly different and more comprehensive picture of what's going on than deliberately excluding that needed info.

same with the hospitalization numbers.

just stop with all the generalizations like "majority" or "vast majority", or "disproportionately affecting", as those are beyond inexact and ripe for manipulation.

just give the info, and all of it, not the DELIBERATELY REDACTED versions we get.

if we want the citizenry making smart informed decisions, THEN GIVE US ALL THE F'ING NEEDED INFORMATION TO MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS, YOU MANIPULATIVE CONTROLLING PsOS.

since day one, our govt and our media have been completely malfeasant to the point of treasonous in their coverage and response to covid, and it's both sides of the aisle and all media.

THIS ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE AS TO THE NEEDED INFO, SO WTF WON'T YOU GIVE IT TO US???????

Last edited:
For someone that knows everything already. :) :)
There are two kinds of people in this world, those who take the red pill and those who take the blue pill.

The terms "red pill" and "blue pill" refer to a choice between the willingness to learn a potentially unsettling or life-changing truth by taking the red pill or remaining in contented ignorance with the blue pill.

The Fauci-led government response failed by focusing almost exclusively on stopping the spread. We should have had at least a parallel effort on treating those who were exposed. Telling such people to isolate themselves and go to the ER if sick is no treatment and might have killed 100’s of thousands of people. There was little if any mention of measures to take to boost our health and immune systems. Hydroxy and ivermectin works early after exposure, yet the government not only never recommended it, it specifically prohibited use based on irrelevant, and in at least one case phony, tests.

Lol... you are like the caterpillar that we've watched morph into a crazy ass butterfly, slowly over the years. Might as well just wrap yourself in tinfoil and go out in the desert and start spying on Area 51, at this point. You've gone round the bend, old man.

There are two kinds of people in this world, those who take the red pill and those who take the blue pill.

The terms "red pill" and "blue pill" refer to a choice between the willingness to learn a potentially unsettling or life-changing truth by taking the red pill or remaining in contented ignorance with the blue pill.
Is it possible that the red pilled have bought into BS though and just think they know the truth?

Because if you don’t think it is, then its not about truth, it’s about confirmation.

Lol... you are like the caterpillar that we've watched morph into a crazy ass butterfly. Might as well just wrap yourself in tinfoil and go out searching in the desert for Area 51, at this point. You've gone round the bend, old man.
See, face to face we might note if he seriously thought no one was researching cures. Of course the were. We have a couple antivirals and 3 monoclonal antibodies. Unfortunately two of those do not work with omicron. We have had steroids since the beginning.

Vaccination was our best silver bullet but we blew that.

Reactions: largemouth
Lol... you are like the caterpillar that we've watched morph into a crazy ass butterfly, slowly over the years. Might as well just wrap yourself in tinfoil and go out in the desert and start spying on Area 51, at this point. You've gone round the bend, old man.
Wow! Caterpillar, morph, crazy ass, butterfly, tinfoil, Area 51, round the bend, old man. I haven't seen such a perfect storm of adolescent posting since the the last time I read one of Cosmic's post.

Maybe you think Fauci got it all right. But I don't. You don know that Fauci thought "mainstream" opinion was the right opinion, don't you? You do know that Fauci lied under oath, don't you? You do know that those who were deathly ill with covid suffred from a hyperactive immune response don't you? You do know that studying hydroxy and ivermectin on patients already suffering from an immune response tells us nothing about either, don't you?

Huh? What are you even talking about?
The thing that is a known 100% fact even you will not dispute. Vaccinated people suffer from bad outcomes at a much lower rate. A much much lower rate. But Missouri sits at 53% vaccinated and probably around 4% boosted.

It would be crazy to think no one is working on treatments, I listed some that have made it out. But for some reason you keep insisting treatments were ignored. Paxlavoid exists, 3 monoclonal antibodies exist. They did not pop out of thin air.

The thing that is a known 100% fact even you will not dispute. Vaccinated people suffer from bad outcomes at a much lower rate. A much much lower rate. But Missouri sits at 53% vaccinated and probably around 4% boosted.

"much much lower rate".

nothing inexact or uninformative about that.

since day one our govt has flat out refused to give us all the needed facts, because they see info as power, so want control all the info.

every day, every US paper and all media should have a full list of,

covid hospitalizations

covid ICU numbers

covid vent numbers

covid deaths

which we can get now if we go looking hard enough, but are only a portion of the needed info.

all those numbers should also be broken down by age groups, (5 yr increments), and vax status, with the vax status also broken down in the age breakdown.

f46d06b1-d970-4db5-a420-6630e0cf9afe-Total_COVID_hospitalizations_IU_Health_SCR.png

think this chart, except all above info also broken down by age group as well.

take the above chart, which is still way more info than we usually get.

what if the 3 vaxed on a vent are all 85 plus, and the 5 unvaxed on vents are between 50 and 60.

or vice versa.

same with what if 3 of 4 or all 4 of the vaxed in the ICU are over 80, and 6 of the 11 unvaxed are under 65?

or vice versa.

that's absolutely needed and relevant info, and would give a significantly different and more comprehensive picture of what's going on than deliberately excluding that needed info.

same with the hospitalization numbers.

just stop with all the generalizations like "majority" or "vast majority", or "disproportionately affecting", as those are beyond inexact and ripe for manipulation.

just give the info, and all of it, not the DELIBERATELY REDACTED versions we get.

if we want the citizenry making smart informed decisions, THEN GIVE US ALL THE F'ING NEEDED INFORMATION TO MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS, YOU MANIPULATIVE CONTROLLING PsOS.

since day one, our govt and our media have been completely malfeasant to the point of treasonous in their coverage and response to covid, and it's both sides of the aisle and all media.

THIS ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE AS TO THE NEEDED INFO, SO WTF WON'T YOU GIVE IT TO US???????

why the f can't we get the actual needed numbers on everything??????????

total and complete malfeasant clusterfk by both govt and all media.

It would be crazy to think no one is working on treatments, I listed some that have made it out. But for some reason you keep insisting treatments were ignored. Paxlavoid exists, 3 monoclonal antibodies exist. They did not pop out of thin air.
I agree about vaccines. But it is a long way from a silver bullet. There was zero national guidance from the task force on treatment. That was all developed locally jby trial snd error. PCP’s all over the country were prescribing Hydroxy and the observational data showed it worked. But the task force couldn’t use means and methods from the fly-over tubes.

Wow! Caterpillar, morph, crazy ass, butterfly, tinfoil, Area 51, round the bend, old man. I haven't seen such a perfect storm of adolescent posting since the the last time I read one of Cosmic's post.

Maybe you think Fauci got it all right. But I don't. You don know that Fauci thought "mainstream" opinion was the right opinion, don't you? You do know that Fauci lied under oath, don't you? You do know that those who were deathly ill with covid suffred from a hyperactive immune response don't you? You do know that studying hydroxy and ivermectin on patients already suffering from an immune response tells us nothing about either, don't you?

You post conspiracy-laden medical misinformation as they are facts, to go along with all your FBI conspiracies, and God knows what else you pull from your ass (HVAC, anyone?). You don't really deserve much beyond adolescent insults. I'm not sure what has happened to you, but you've become a shell of your former self. It seems literally every topic discussed you are either flirting with the conspiracy pool, or you've fully jumped in already. (With the exception of actual legal discussions).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT