ADVERTISEMENT

Covid update from a doc on the front lines

image019.png
Lot of truth to that meme. They keep working and living their lives.

I don't know, you haven't seen me post on the "ha ha, look at antivaxxer who died". There can be, handled properly, a learning opportunity. "See, this is real. Person x was younger, didn't die from fear of COVID but from COVID". Much like saying a person died from being thrown through their windshield was not wearing a seatbelt.

There is a slight difference for some, some antivaxxers proselytize, they actively work to stop others from vaccinated. Not many proselytize to others not to wear seatbelts.

So some deaths can be informational. Like the totaled car put before my daughter's school years ago before prom to show the dangers of drunk driving. But we should scale back the "gotcha" and "told you so".

We KNOW vaccinated people suffer bad outcomes far less often. Nothing, not hydroxy or ivermectin or vitamin D, is shown to provide such benefits.

For a while I took D, there was some evidence low vitamin D was correlated. But that turned out to be a correlation and not a cause. So I am not opposed to trying to get ahead. The problem would come from me saying, "I do not need vaccinated because I am taking vitamin D". That is my point. Take hydroxy AND get vaccinated not take hydroxy INSTEAD OF getting vaccinated.
Well, individuals are unique. The virus, therputics, vitamins, vaccines all work differently in all of us. The government/institutional response has always been to do the most good for the most people based upon generalizations. Data showing a 10% chance of something happening won’t be very relevant for those who have factors in common with the 10%. For them it might be 50%. This is just one reason why draconian uniform mandates should not be part of medicine.

But, we do know there are certain things that help all of us, and that is those things that help our immune systems. We have been woefully inadequate with that. The government and institutions pissing people off with ridicule, accusations of being murderers and threats taking away privileges is 100% wrong when the objective should be to all pull together.

Reactions: stollcpa
Well, individuals are unique. The virus, therputics, vitamins, vaccines all work differently in all of us.

But, we do know there are certain things that help all of us, and that is those things that help our immune systems.

So are we unique or not?

Well, individuals are unique. The virus, therputics, vitamins, vaccines all work differently in all of us. The government/institutional response has always been to do the most good for the most people based upon generalizations. Data showing a 10% chance of something happening won’t be very relevant for those who have factors in common with the 10%. For them it might be 50%. This is just one reason why draconian uniform mandates should not be part of medicine.

But, we do know there are certain things that help all of us, and that is those things that help our immune systems. We have been woefully inadequate with that. The government and institutions pissing people off with ridicule, accusations of being murderers and threats taking away privileges is 100% wrong when the objective should be to all pull together.
That is true. It is 100% plausible there is at least one person alive today whose body works better because they are obese, or because they smoke. There is no way to rule that out. Does that mean you will never again complain about obesity?

That is true. It is 100% plausible there is at least one person alive today whose body works better because they are obese, or because they smoke. There is no way to rule that out. Does that mean you will never again complain about obesity?
Seriously? You seem like you always go to absurd bullshit. Is that because you have nothing you say? Do you really disagree with the point? A friend felt like crap after the first shot, felt worse after the second, and probably will not get the third. Others felt fine.

Reactions: DANC
Wait, what? You didn’t see all the local news from last year about the Amish having really bad numbers?
They’ve had numbers around here. Few died but no more than anywhere else. They’re living like they always have. They aren’t hiding in their homes and they’re not getting jabs. I’d bet everything I have their numbers for death aren’t any worse than the population as a whole.

I know a construction crew that the entire crew had Covid. The entire crew went to work on the job site every day. Not saying this was proper thing to do but it’s what happened.

More medical idiocy:

As you know, because I have bitched about it, I am immunocompromised. When I ask my doctors about my risks from the Covid variants, I get less than helpful answers - “not enough data yet, 300,000,000 cases isnt enough, just take your meds that suppress your immune system and stay away from everything and everybody and wear masks and get jabbed.” So I do.

Current advice is that I get a 4th shot. (I had 3 full doses. This will be a booster.) But Im not eligible until 150 days since my last shot. January 19. I’m one of the earliest. I got my 3rd Moderna in August - days after it was approved by CDC to give it.

So here we are. Omicron is off the charts. I need a booster because of Omicron. but … wait for it … I can’t even SIGN UP because it has not been 150 days. they have unused slots, but that is irrelevant. I need to wait another week just to sign up. How will the Omicron numbers be in a week?

Its NOT a medical process, not a medical decision. The best MEDICINE is “get the shot BEFORE Omicron.“ Nope - it’s a POWER decision. Bureaucracy. “We said wait - you wait. Whacked the gavel. go away.”

So when the CDC tell you they really care and Fauci says he is science, remember - setting up a system that allows making an appointment for the 151st day before the 151 st day is beyond their capability. GED level thought stumps the lab nerds.

And if I die from Omicron, don’t bitch about me being unboosted. I tried. They lied. I sighed, then died because they are dumbasses of the highest degree - usually a Ph.D.
In a world where we allow doctors to prescribe placebos, damn straight you should be allowed a vaccination. I get why the powers that be are nervous, they test for safety and efficacy. They know those at X days, so they are willing to administer at X days.

I am reading a math book, How Not to Be Wrong. This was written 10 years ago, so obviously not about COVID. But in a section he discusses public health. He said if public officials have never made a wrong decision they are not making enough decisions. This was a Corollary to "if you have never missed a flight, you arrive to airports too soon".

I think that ties in here, if they aren't willing to make a decision to expand vaccine use, they aren't making enough decisions. They are prioritizing accuracy over efficacy.

Why do you believe that you need a booster inside of 150 days? Is this because of your IC status?

My Moderna booster was only a half dose and I feel no reason to get more even at 150 days unless the next variant is as risky as Omi and I suspect it won't be.
CDC guideline says immunocompromised need another jab 150 days after last one.

My 150 is 1/19. Tried to use CDC site to find a place to get one. Surprised to find lots of places with appointments. Didn’t want one before 1/19. Wanted to make an appointment to get one ASAP after 1/19.

Broke the system. Can’t make an appointment yet.

Same people have hair on fire selling me the fear of Omicron, but they can’t figure out how to let me make an appointment.

It takes a lab nerd and a software “designer” to wreck a nation.

Seriously? You seem like you always go to absurd bullshit. Is that because you have nothing you say? Do you really disagree with the point? A friend felt like crap after the first shot, felt worse after the second, and probably will not get the third. Others felt fine.
What the bloody hell are you talking about. I thought you were discussing hydroxy because THAT IS WHAT YOU WERE ARGUING ABOUT. Did you switch to vaccines and not tell me?

They felt bad, how bad? Do they have comorbidities, how many? Do they extrapolate, "I felt bad so you should not get vaccinated". There is a whole lot to this long before any opinion could be rendered

But if you are arguing hydroxy might work for someone, somewhere, than my point is damn accurate and you just don't like it for that reason.

More medical idiocy:

As you know, because I have bitched about it, I am immunocompromised. When I ask my doctors about my risks from the Covid variants, I get less than helpful answers - “not enough data yet, 300,000,000 cases isnt enough, just take your meds that suppress your immune system and stay away from everything and everybody and wear masks and get jabbed.” So I do.

Current advice is that I get a 4th shot. (I had 3 full doses. This will be a booster.) But Im not eligible until 150 days since my last shot. January 19. I’m one of the earliest. I got my 3rd Moderna in August - days after it was approved by CDC to give it.

So here we are. Omicron is off the charts. I need a booster because of Omicron. but … wait for it … I can’t even SIGN UP because it has not been 150 days. they have unused slots, but that is irrelevant. I need to wait another week just to sign up. How will the Omicron numbers be in a week?

Its NOT a medical process, not a medical decision. The best MEDICINE is “get the shot BEFORE Omicron.“ Nope - it’s a POWER decision. Bureaucracy. “We said wait - you wait. Whacked the gavel. go away.”

So when the CDC tell you they really care and Fauci says he is science, remember - setting up a system that allows making an appointment for the 151st day before the 151 st day is beyond their capability. GED level thought stumps the lab nerds.

And if I die from Omicron, don’t bitch about me being unboosted. I tried. They lied. I sighed, then died because they are dumbasses of the highest degree - usually a Ph.D.
There you go. Let the science guys on here tell you it’s all about the science. They have no damn idea.

There you go. Let the science guys on here tell you it’s all about the science. They have no damn idea.
What kills me most is that the 150 days will force over 90% of the most vulnerable - the immunocompromised - to wait until AFTER Omicron has peaked to get the booster.

CDC “approved” a third shot for immunocompromised 8/13. I got mine 8/22.
They recommended a 4th (the “boost”) at Halloween. Omicron was detected 11/14. They've had over 60 days to change the guideline. But nope. So almost NOBODY who needs the boost to fight Omicron can get it yet because of medical nerd stupidity. The lab nerds just didn’t consider the facts on the ground. Didn’t apply common sense. They picked 150 days because it’s what they always did in the past.

Reactions: Zeester NC and 76-1

My 150 is 1/19. Tried to use CDC site to find a place to get one. Surprised to find lots of places with appointments. Didn’t want one before 1/19. Wanted to make an appointment to get one ASAP after 1/19.

Same people have hair on fire selling me the fear of Omicron, but they can’t figure out how to let me make an appointment.

Try something other than CDC to make your appointment. I got in early for my 3rd at a county site. They were just happy to have someone to jab.

What the bloody hell are you talking about. I thought you were discussing hydroxy because THAT IS WHAT YOU WERE ARGUING ABOUT. Did you switch to vaccines and not tell me?

They felt bad, how bad? Do they have comorbidities, how many? Do they extrapolate, "I felt bad so you should not get vaccinated". There is a whole lot to this long before any opinion could be rendered

But if you are arguing hydroxy might work for someone, somewhere, than my point is damn accurate and you just don't like it for that reason.
I surrender. Life is too short for bad coffee.

Try something other than CDC to make your appointment. I got in early for my 3rd at a county site. They were just happy to have someone to jab.
Our county health department big push to jab kids. That can’t hardly control themselves.

idiocracy, and no it wouldn't.

and if only 1 patient was admitted with covid, you could argue the exact same about that one patient.

and don't jump the shark with ridicuality trying to argue otherwise.

message received though, you're against giving out the absolutely needed info.

that makes you a willing contributor to the hospitalizations, ICU admissions, and deaths, and the absolute sht storm that the hospitals and their staff are now experiencing, thus also to the shtstorm the non covid desperately in need of healthcare also are experiencing.

nice job.
Did you try the download that Marvin suggested? Or did you jump straight to being an asshole?

Human error is a bitch.

My uncle’s cousin’s daughter-in-law told my aunt that’s not true.
I absolutely believe it.

The arrogance and hatefulness of the Wokes has been appalling. I can’t count the number of “let them die” and “Darwin” comments I’ve heard and seen. Thousands . And I don’t get around much.

My experience has been that people who hate Trump are willing to view everyone else who doesn’t equal that hate as a “less than” - and subject them to bullying on line and elsewhere.

And 1/6 showed an appalling trend toward violence on the right - even if in smaller numbers.

“Live and let live” has been murdered and its ashes srpread throughout the cyberspace. D So an overworked nurse being ugly to a dying patient is - sadly - par for todays course.

Reactions: Zeester NC and DANC
A friend felt like crap after the first shot, felt worse after the second, and probably will not get the third.

How about they're pussies?

Reactions: Noodle
How about they're pussies?
Truthfully, I get that someone who is 20 and in perfect health (as far as they know) who felt bad after a vaccine may not want another. But every comorbidity makes that decision increasingly bad. Not for "feeling bad".

The article below is from BEFORE sars-cor-2. We have been fighting over vaccines for as long as their have been vaccines. Some want to pretend COVID exists in a vacuum and not at all related in any way to the overall vaccine debate. That is crap, it is just a new front in an old war.

By the way, Google it, you will find people bitten by a rabid animal refusing the rabies vaccine. It may be their right, but that doesn't mean we can't question their decision.

So any MD that prescribes you think are quacks?
Not at all what I have said. I posted that 50% admit to prescribing placebos and that is their right. They have to take into account the patient's psyche

But that can create problems. A frequent placebo has been antibiotics for viral infections. It does no harm to the patient directly but it did contribute to is running out of antibiotics. I have myself, and know of others, that routinely received antibiotics for a sinus infections. Most sinus infections are viral. The antibiotics were a placebo.

Go ahead and Google some terms like opium addiction over prescribe painkillers. Doctors over prescribed painkillers for much the same reason, look at what it has done.

I get that doctors want to help, and generally speaking prescribing something that isn't indicated as a placebo may be good if it makes the patient more comfortable. We both agree there. But even that decision carries a risk, we have to own up to it. There is a small, but real, side effect risk to hydroxy. Why would the same people complaining about "stupid people now getting 4 jabs" want to take hydroxy every.single.day.

Reactions: UncleMark
Truthfully, I get that someone who is 20 and in perfect health (as far as they know) who felt bad after a vaccine may not want another. But every comorbidity makes that decision increasingly bad. Not for "feeling bad".

I have a high tolerance for pain and discomfort. Or at least I don't let shit get me down. It's rare that I call in sick for work. I'll let minor injuries go and heal themselves. I don't claim to be some tough guy or invaluable or whatever, I just figure a little pain and discomfort is a part of life. Again, it might go back to my upbringing. Mom wasn't one to treat any and all ailments or complaints. Her most dispensed medicine was instructions to either deal with it or go to bed.

I felt kinda puny after my vaccinations, moreso with the second. Kinda fluish for 24 hours. It wouldn't have crossed my mind to forego another one when it was called for.

Got it.

I suspect your Dr would do it their office?

I have a high tolerance for pain and discomfort. Or at least I don't let shit get me down. It's rare that I call in sick for work. I'll let minor injuries go and heal themselves. I don't claim to be some tough guy or invaluable or whatever, I just figure a little pain and discomfort is a part of life. Again, it might go back to my upbringing. Mom wasn't one to treat any and all ailments or complaints. Her most dispensed medicine was instructions to either deal with it or go to bed.

I felt kinda puny after my vaccinations, moreso with the second. Kinda fluish for 24 hours. It wouldn't have crossed my mind to forego another one when it was called for.
Rub some dirt on it

I get that, I came from a long line of, "we never go see the doctor and never miss work". When we got married, my wife would pretty much make me go to the doctor. It did save my life once, I had pneumonia during Gulf War 1. After much haranguing, I went. It was misdiagnosed twice before a doctor would x-ray me and tell me I had microplasma pneumonia with a poor blood oxygen. So I became slightly more willing to go.

COVID has me rethinking the "go to work sick" attitude. What gives me the right to infect others?

COVID has me rethinking the "go to work sick" attitude. What gives me the right to infect others?

I rarely did that and if I did it wasn't anything serious, anything more than maybe a headcold. It's just that in my mind I rarely got "sick". Sniffles or a minor cough or a case of the runs was just something you dealt with once in a while.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
I rarely did that and if I did it wasn't anything serious, anything more than maybe a headcold. It's just that in my mind I rarely got "sick". Sniffles or a minor cough or a case of the runs was just something you dealt with once in a while.

I did, I would try to lock myself in the server room but inevitably people would want to try and talk to me instead of emailing or calling.

The world will rue the fact server rooms have gone the way of phone booths.

Reactions: UncleMark
Not at all what I have said. I posted that 50% admit to prescribing placebos and that is their right. They have to take into account the patient's psyche

But that can create problems. A frequent placebo has been antibiotics for viral infections. It does no harm to the patient directly but it did contribute to is running out of antibiotics. I have myself, and know of others, that routinely received antibiotics for a sinus infections. Most sinus infections are viral. The antibiotics were a placebo.

Go ahead and Google some terms like opium addiction over prescribe painkillers. Doctors over prescribed painkillers for much the same reason, look at what it has done.

I get that doctors want to help, and generally speaking prescribing something that isn't indicated as a placebo may be good if it makes the patient more comfortable. We both agree there. But even that decision carries a risk, we have to own up to it. There is a small, but real, side effect risk to hydroxy. Why would the same people complaining about "stupid people now getting 4 jabs" want to take hydroxy every.single.day.
Doctors I know aren’t prescribing placebos.

A retired oncology nurse, told my wife that a nurse at a prominent Indy hospital told an unvaccinated COVID patient that they should die because they went unvaccinated. Some bedside manner that.
This story = wife tells poster that nurse told wife that another nurse told patient.

Good luck to the wife, nurses and patient.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT