ADVERTISEMENT

Could you date someone with opposing political views?

Ohio Guy

Hall of Famer
Aug 28, 2001
Without tipping my hand, I have skin in this game. Actually, I know where I stand. I'm curious to know what all of you think.

I was going to make this a poll, but I think it'd be more fun to just have you all weigh in.

Without tipping my hand, I have skin in this game. Actually, I know where I stand. I'm curious to know what all of you think.

I was going to make this a poll, but I think it'd be more fun to just have you all weigh in.
Depends on how big of a deal it is in their life. Are they showing up to dates wearing a mask with a blm sign in their yard and think trump is Hitler? Do they think the election was stolen and want to attend the rnc convention? That would annoy me like anything else like a flat chest or bad teeth. If they are just a normal opposite party voter it would not bother me in the least . So how big of a part of their life is it and will you have to hear about it?

I will tell you the dating pool I like are all lefties

I was a Reagan Republican. My wife marched and caried signs for Mondale/Ferraro. We met later, in 1991. She's still further left than I am, but we're pretty close today on most things.

I think it's harder for younger people today to accept opposing viewpoints. My oldest daughter is 27 and she's said she'd never consider socializing with, let alone dating, a Republican.

I was a Reagan Republican. My wife marched and caried signs for Mondale/Ferraro. We met later, in 1991. She's still further left than I am, but we're pretty close today on most things.

I think it's harder for younger people today to accept opposing viewpoints. My oldest daughter is 27 and she's said she'd never consider socializing with, let alone dating, a Republican.
Condolences..

I'm an independent. Have voted both parties. I could marry a Republican or Democrat.

I could not marry a MAGA Trump person. Funny thing is asked my wife and she felt the same way. If I was a Trump guy it would be a deal breaker.

I'm an independent. Have voted both parties. I could marry a Republican or Democrat.

I could not marry a MAGA Trump person. Funny thing is asked my wife and she felt the same way. If I was a Trump guy it would be a deal breaker.

I sense that for younger people there is no distinction between Republican and MAGA. They are one in the same for an entire generation.

I could and have dated conservatives. I could and would not date a Trumper. We’d have too many differences about things that are really important to me.

Yes if that is the only qualifier. Now, if she was whacked out BS crazy in her position then now. But that REALLY narrows the field down.... I mean REALLY narrows the field.

Reactions: BCCHoosier
Alexi Lalas just posted a pic of himself on stage at the rnc. Unfollow. Goodbye. F you. So people won’t follow a sports head bc of his politics. I’m sure not dating one over politics is becoming more and more common

Political affiliation doesn't matter as much as sanity. No issues with republicans or conservatives but the portion of MAGA that is a whacko popularity cult or the whacko portion of the left that believes in crystal healing or similar shit... no f**king way. Not even for a hate f**k. Never stick your d**k in crazy.

Alexi Lalas just posted a pic of himself on stage at the rnc. Unfollow. Goodbye. F you. So people won’t follow a sports head bc of his politics. I’m sure not dating one over politics is becoming more and more common
I'm confused by this one. Is this just your hard stance on athletes mixing politics? I would think him being at the RNC would make you happy.

I sense that for younger people there is no distinction between Republican and MAGA. They are one in the same for an entire generation.

I think the issue is seeing all of the so called republicans in congress do nothing to stand up to Trump or MAGA.

Anyone willing to vote for Trump over anybody is likely seen as MAGA-adjacent.

I'm confused by this one. Is this just your hard stance on athletes mixing politics? I would think him being at the RNC would make you happy.
No I’m just surprised people would unfollow him bc of politics. I don’t like hearing athletes political views but it wouldn’t cause me to not watch them play or if they put out otherwise good content unfollow them

I could and have dated conservatives. I could and would not date a Trumper. We’d have too many differences about things that are really important to me.
This is pretty much where I stand. I'm coming up on date 5 with someone I think is pretty great. She was up front about being conservative on our first date. I think I said something about that being no big deal, but I also thought Trump was abhorrent and she agreed. She definitely isn't a fan of Biden.

It also depends on intentions. I’d throw on a mask and go see Amy Schumer if I got to bone that dirty Emily ratajkowski. I’m not marrying her but I’d fake it for a bit and keep quiet
I had no idea my wife was a Democrat until I met her Grandmother. I should have known the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

But yeah, I would be a McGovernite for a chance to bang Emily.

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1 and mcmurtry66

I dunno, I probably would but gonna have to ask the wife for permission first.

231ba8f1-2aa9-4fa6-a551-7d01aa2e3eac_text.gif

I had no idea my wife was a Democrat until I met her Grandmother. I should have known the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

But yeah, I would be a McGovernite for a chance to bang Emily.
I heard a good one the other day.

Kid - "Hey dad, did you know that in some countries that men don't know who their wife is until they get married"?

Dad - "Son, it's like that in every country".

:)

How long has been since I had sex? 6 hours? I’d date a cow who carries around the Communist manifest.

My oldest daughter is 27 and she's said she'd never consider socializing with, let alone dating, a Republican.
I get the dating part, but your daughter's point about socializing seems to be pervasive. My oldest is 29 and some of the stuff I hear him talk about when it comes to differing viewpoints saddens me. The idea that you'd close yourself off entirely to someone over their political views isn't a good recipe for a strong society. Personally, I think it would be boring AF to live in a political echo chamber, now it seems to be moving from boring toward scary.

My wife is to the right of me. She’s a Trump supporter whereas I’m more of a he’s the lesser of two evils guy.

She is STRIDENTLY pro life. That’s probably the one thing she feels strongest about.

Reactions: IUJIM and DANC
I get the dating part, but your daughter's point about socializing seems to be pervasive. My oldest is 29 and some of the stuff I hear him talk about when it comes to differing viewpoints saddens me. The idea that you'd close yourself off entirely to someone over their political views isn't a good recipe for a strong society. Personally, I think it would be boring AF to live in a political echo chamber, now it seems to be moving from boring toward scary.
Agree. All my friends voted for Trump and a couple are hardcore supporters. A couple others held their nose and voted for him.

If I limited myself to Biden supporters where I live I'd pretty much be alone all the time. I'm sure a few folks in town voted for him, but they'd never admit it.

Now mix that with young ladies becoming more liberal while young males are going the opposite way and you have a recipe for upheaval.

My wife voted for Biden and I have never liked that guy from when he surfaced in 87. She voted against Obama and he is the only Dem I ever voted for. Thought he might be different and that didn't turn out to really be the case. Just liked him as a person and his calm demeanor. She decided to join the Party of Hate because of Trump. I decided to disagree with Democrats belief of blackballing people and stirring up violence with racist accusations and Democracy is at risk propaganda BS. They just want Big government, high taxes, and to tell people how to think and act. They don't care about america and want your money and all the power. Oh yeah, they want war. F that.

Politics is pretty low priority for us because no matter what we believe there is not much we can do about what is going on. I started listening to Libertarians when it was Hillary vs Trump. Ishare their beliefs.

I will admit that I changed things like TV talk shows I watch. These late night talk shows show they are just cronies of the Democratic Party so I haven't watched them in years including SNL. We need Craig Ferguson back. I can find much better things to watch than their political based shows. I'll listen to some Libertarian podcasts and like Tulsi and Kennedy so I will actually listen to Fox when they are on. That's about it.

Honestly the more I think about it the more I think politics aren’t much to worry about. My ex stoker is back to texting me multiple times a day. Day and night. My ex wife is trying very hard to get me to go out with her (while actively dating at least three guys). I’m the most content and comfortable I’ve been in many years. Maybe my picker is shitty or I just attract crazy but I really have zero interest in dating. Crazy seems more prevalent than political bent concerns

Agree. All my friends voted for Trump and a couple are hardcore supporters. A couple others held their nose and voted for him.

If I limited myself to Biden supporters where I live I'd pretty much be alone all the time. I'm sure a few folks in town voted for him, but they'd never admit it.
Our crew of teammates that chat daily from college. Easily 23 Dems to 3 Republicans. I couldn’t imagine losing those guys

My wife would frown on it these days...

Did date a activist Dim prior to my marriage... High maintenance pain in the ass who finally simply wasn't worth the trouble given all the other great looking women out there with better personalities and none of the crazy baggage...

Dropping her was one of my all time best lifetime decisions...

Reactions: DANC
My wife is to the right of me. She’s a Trump supporter whereas I’m more of a he’s the lesser of two evils guy.

She is STRIDENTLY pro life. That’s probably the one thing she feels strongest about.
She sounds awesome. I admittedly like women who are Trump supporters. They ain’t scared and it’s refreshing compared to leftist women.

My wife is a moderate and probably leans to the left on most issues besides trans stuff and abortion. I’ve slowly been trying to turn her into a Bitcoiner. She doesn’t quite understand all of it, but likes it now.

Speaking as a past Social Chairman for a college fraternity some 60 years ago some of my brothers were lucky to have a date much less being picky about their politics.

When inviting a sorority to one of out popular Friday afternnon Beer Suppers I didn't inquire as to the sorority's political leanings. Definitely unimportant then as it should be now.

Speaking as a past Social Chairman for a college fraternity some 60 years ago some of my brothers were lucky to have a date much less being picky about their politics.

When inviting a sorority to one of out popular Friday afternnon Beer Suppers I didn't inquire as to the sorority's political leanings. Definitely unimportant then as it should be now.
It was a very different world then. When I was in college I didn’t know or care about anyone’s politics. Now, it’s a very different story.

It was a very different world then. When I was in college I didn’t know or care about anyone’s politics. Now, it’s a very different story.

Back in the day most people didn't discuss politics or hang flags on their car or house year round. It was generally a yard sign and possibly a bumper sticker close to the election. Now people get to drive by houses with "Trump 2024... F... your feelings" signs or similar or have trucks flying confederate and trump flags out the back (seen recently in tennessee).

Most disagreements in the past were based on policies and not whether or not grabbing women by the pussy or trying to overturn an election was something that should be disqualifying for a candidate.

There are many things that Trump has done and said that is viewed by many as unforgiveable to support....most have nothing/little to do with his policy or politics. Hence being MAGA or MAGA adjacent is an automatic DQ for some.

Last edited:
Honestly the more I think about it the more I think politics aren’t much to worry about. My ex stoker is back to texting me multiple times a day. Day and night. My ex wife is trying very hard to get me to go out with her (while actively dating at least three guys). I’m the most content and comfortable I’ve been in many years. Maybe my picker is shitty or I just attract crazy but I really have zero interest in dating. Crazy seems more prevalent than political bent concerns
Yeah - I'm trying to warm up to the idea that politics can be sidestepped or not too much to worry about. Moreso after the election.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT