ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

kid here came back from Italy to Chicago then Amtrak home. Tested positive for corona. The next day her dad took her sister to a father/daughter dance at the ritz. Now the kid’s school closed, the families of all the other kids at the dance are freaking out, etc. Selfishness and lack of personal responsibility are going to spread this thing like wild fire.

Last edited:
Here's one for you. AFTER the kid here was tested positive for corona her ahole dad from the wealthiest community here took his other daughter to the ritz for a father daughter dance. now they broke onto the news to say that the entire school where both kids go is canceled this week. people are sh*t. this thi

kid here came back from Italy to Chicago then Amtrak home. Tested positive for corona. The next day her dad took her sister to a father/daughter dance at the ritz. Now the kid’s school closed, the families of all the other kids at the dance are freaking out, etc. Selfishness and lack of personal responsibility are going to spread this thing like wild fire.

Another story to share:

<a href="https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/t...-the-experts-again.196314/page-3#post-2896663">Trump ignoring the experts again</a>

I have said this before -- you really wonder what does it mean to be American. Its about a country caring and looking out for one another -- not just hand to heart when the national anthem is being played.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
And another:

WA’s latest coronavirus patient saw WASO at Perth Concert Hall while infected

A “regrettable incident” is how authorities have described a patient’s decision, that exposed a crowd at the Perth Concert Hall to the deadly coronavirus.

The news comes as Australia’s death toll from the virus has increased to three, after the death of a nursing home patient in Sydney.

Sitting among the 1500 or more people was the woman who had been tested for COVID-19 just the day before.

She was watching the West Australian Symphony Orchestra’s Absolute Beethoven event at the Perth Concert Hall.

Without waiting for the results, the woman from the western suburbs attended the concert.

A positive result
This morning her test came back positive.

“It was very regrettable she decided to do that and certainly we encourage people not to do that,” Dr Andrew Roberston from WA Health said.

“People make mistakes and that’s okay, we are working as a community together to try to resolve these issues to try to get on top of this bug,” Health Minister Roger Cook said.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I’m really going back and forth on buying some cheap tickets. Doing something like that could certainly help make my decision for some summer trips.
tickets to Seattle were very cheap late last week
Me and SWMBO came this ->| |<- close to going to Ireland to see a friend after 9/11. Could have done it for something like $200. Been kicking our asses for not doing so ever since.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Me and SWMBO came this ->| |<- close to going to Ireland to see a friend after 9/11. Could have done it for something like $200. Been kicking our asses for not doing so ever since.

I didn’t fly that close to 9/11 but I wonder how quiet the airports then vs now. They are still 1/2 full, maybe even slightly more (at least MSP). Will report back on DCA and ATL later on this week

I flew pretty quickly after 9/11. Didn’t go crazy, but had one trip already planned and got cheap tickets for one more. One thing I’d look for now is going to places with a good medical reputation so if I got quarantined I wouldn’t worry.m

Italy just suspended all sports until April.
3ryhq5.jpg

All of Italy on lockdown as prime minister expands restrictions to entire country

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...grows-d-c-n1152886/ncrd1153641#liveBlogHeader

I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks not too long after 9/11. Did some Island hopping on the small planes as well. So cheap! One of the best and affordable vacations I ever took.

Will report back on DCA and ATL later on this week

I just flew FLL to/from DCA last Wednesday & Saturday. Not deserted at all, but the airports were not crowded either. I'd guess traffic is down at least a third or so. Security was fast. Return flight was totally full, but flying into DC a third of the plane was empty.

France tells citizens cocaine cannot protect against coronavirusA number of myths and conspiracy theories have emerged since outbreak began

cocaine-euros.jpg

The French government has warned its citizens they cannot use cocaine to protect themselves from the coronavirus.

“No, cocaine does not protect against COVID-19,” the official advice from France’s Ministry of Solidarity and Health said. “It’s an addictive drug that causes serious adverse and harmful effects.”

The warning was posted to Twitter on Sunday, with a link to the coronavirus information page on the government’s website.

It is one of a number of official posts by the French health ministry aimed at tackling disinformation.

Similar guidance issued by the department in recent days includes a warning that spraying alcohol or chlorine on your skin will not kill viruses that have already entered your body.

Other posts seek to reassure citizens the coronavirus cannot be transmitted via mosquito bites, and that disinfectant hand sanitisers do not cause cancer.

The warnings over cocaine appear to be in response to a series of viral memes, which show doctored news headlines suggesting the class A drug “kills coronavirus”.

It is one of a number of myths and conspiracy theories that have emerged since the start of the outbreak, many of which involve the origins of the coronavirus.

Several such popular — but scientifically debunked — theories insist the virus originated in a level 4 research laboratory in Wuhan, either escaping by accident or being developed as a bioweapon.

Experts suggest that epidemics and disasters are classic breeding grounds for such conspiracies.

“They are so easy to spread because these events are existential. They kill,” Brian Houston, a disaster-related mental health and communication researcher, told Wired.

“The literature says that the things that tend to scare us the most are risks we can’t observe, and risks that are new and not understandable.”

However, some citizens in France — which has confirmed more than 1,400 cases — appeared unperturbed as they risked contagion to participate in a world-record attempt.

While the French government banned gatherings of more than 1,000 people on Sunday, the health ministry may also wish to update their official advice on Smurf gatherings.

Nearly 3,550 people donned blue garments, face paint and white headwear in the Brittany commune of Landerneau on Saturday as they seized the Guinness World Record for the largest ever gathering of Smurfs.

“We figured we wouldn’t worry and that as French people we wouldn’t give up on our attempt to break the record, and now we’re champions of the world,” one attendee told AFP.

:rolleyes::):D

France tells citizens cocaine cannot protect against coronavirusA number of myths and conspiracy theories have emerged since outbreak began

cocaine-euros.jpg

The French government has warned its citizens they cannot use cocaine to protect themselves from the coronavirus.

“No, cocaine does not protect against COVID-19,” the official advice from France’s Ministry of Solidarity and Health said. “It’s an addictive drug that causes serious adverse and harmful effects.”

The warning was posted to Twitter on Sunday, with a link to the coronavirus information page on the government’s website.

It is one of a number of official posts by the French health ministry aimed at tackling disinformation.

Similar guidance issued by the department in recent days includes a warning that spraying alcohol or chlorine on your skin will not kill viruses that have already entered your body.

Other posts seek to reassure citizens the coronavirus cannot be transmitted via mosquito bites, and that disinfectant hand sanitisers do not cause cancer.

The warnings over cocaine appear to be in response to a series of viral memes, which show doctored news headlines suggesting the class A drug “kills coronavirus”.

It is one of a number of myths and conspiracy theories that have emerged since the start of the outbreak, many of which involve the origins of the coronavirus.

Several such popular — but scientifically debunked — theories insist the virus originated in a level 4 research laboratory in Wuhan, either escaping by accident or being developed as a bioweapon.

Experts suggest that epidemics and disasters are classic breeding grounds for such conspiracies.

“They are so easy to spread because these events are existential. They kill,” Brian Houston, a disaster-related mental health and communication researcher, told Wired.

“The literature says that the things that tend to scare us the most are risks we can’t observe, and risks that are new and not understandable.”

However, some citizens in France — which has confirmed more than 1,400 cases — appeared unperturbed as they risked contagion to participate in a world-record attempt.

While the French government banned gatherings of more than 1,000 people on Sunday, the health ministry may also wish to update their official advice on Smurf gatherings.

Nearly 3,550 people donned blue garments, face paint and white headwear in the Brittany commune of Landerneau on Saturday as they seized the Guinness World Record for the largest ever gathering of Smurfs.

“We figured we wouldn’t worry and that as French people we wouldn’t give up on our attempt to break the record, and now we’re champions of the world,” one attendee told AFP.

:rolleyes::):D
If only...

Coronavirus expert: 'War is an appropriate analogy'

Since this video came out, 48hrs ago; Italy went from 3 cases just two weeks ago to 3,000 when the guy was interviewed, and as of yesterday, its over 10,000 cases.

Does the virus attack remind us that we are part of the global human race, or does it remind us that we must think of ourselves first?

Or both?

alert.png
Testing positive after being declared clear of the infection: a 31-year-old evacuee from the Diamond Princess cruise ship was first infected on Feb 18 while aboard, but later appeared to have recovered and tested negative on March 4 and 6 in Japan before returning to Hong Kong on March 7. On March 9, she was found to be still infected. Disease expert Dr Joseph Tsang Kay-yan said several reasons such as sampling error and “insufficiently sensitive” tests could have accounted for the woman’s “false negative” results in Japan. “Perhaps the swab was not done properly, or an antibody blood test was not done.” In any case she would have to be tested for a particular type of antibody 21 days after the diagnosis, before results can be conclusive that she was clear of the virus. He believes the woman was not reinfected as her antibodies upon recovering would give her immunity for a period of time [source]

Coronavirus: South Korea’s infection rate falls without citywide lockdowns like China, Italy
  • South Korea had 7,513 Covid-19 cases as of Monday, with daily infections falling for a fourth consecutive day
  • Officials attribute the decrease to mass testing, improved public communication and the use of advanced technology
86d50dd4-62a0-11ea-8e9f-2d196083a37c_image_hires_064928.jpg

South Korea has seen a steady decrease in new coronavirus cases for four consecutive days, despite being one of the worst-affected countries outside China, although global attention has shifted towards outbreaks in Italy and Iran.

As of end-Monday, it had 7,513 cases and 54 deaths. The Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said there was an increase of 131 cases from Sunday to Monday.
The country averaged more than 500 new infections a day for the past two weeks, but last Friday, this number dipped to 438, then 367 on Saturday and 248 on Sunday. The daily number of confirmed cases is reported the following day.

The steady decrease in cases has been attributed to a variety of factors, including mass testing, improved public communications and the use of technology. Extensive testing of members of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, which was linked to more than 60 per cent of the country’s cases, has been completed.
South Korean officials have shared their experiences in containing the outbreak, saying that citywide lockdowns, as imposed by China in Wuhan, where the outbreak originated, are difficult to enforce in an open society.
China also introduced strict social distancing and extensive monitoring of citizens and ensured their adherence to preventive measures with punishment and rewards, resulting in a significant drop in the number of new cases.
“Without harming the principle of a transparent and open society, we recommend a response system that blends voluntary public participation with creative applications of advanced technology,” South Korea’s Vice Health Minister Kim Gang-lip told journalists.

Conventional and coercive measures such as lockdowns of affected areas have drawbacks, he said, undermining the spirit of democracy and alienating the public who should participate actively in preventive efforts.
“Public participation must be secured through openness and transparency,” he said.

South Korea has been proactive in providing its citizens with the information needed to stay safe, including twice-daily media briefings and emergency alerts sent by mobile phone to those living or working in districts where new cases have been confirmed. Details about the travel histories of confirmed patients are also available on municipal websites, sometimes with breakdowns of a patient’s residence or employer, which can make them identifiable individually, leading to concerns about privacy.

The importance of maintaining good hygiene has also been stressed. South Koreans seldom leave their homes without wearing a face mask, with many buildings putting up signs reading “No Masks, No Entry”. Restaurant workers and retail staff wear masks while serving customers.
“I don’t like to wear a mask as I have to smell my own breath. I didn’t bother to wear as usual when I sneezed couple of times in the metro. Then other commuters frowned on me and stepped away from me. At that time, I decided to follow the trend and wear a mask,” said Min Gyeong-wook, a 35-year-old company employee.

South Korea has also come up with creative measures, including about 50 drive-through testing stations across the country, where it takes only 10 minutes to go through the whole procedure. Test results are available within hours.

Covid-19 tests are prohibitively expensive in many countries but in South Korea, all tests are free. The country is also capable of processing up to 15,000 diagnostic tests a day, and the aggregate number of tests has reached almost 200,000.

This testing capability has enabled the country to identify patients early and minimise the harmful effects, health experts say. But this also led to South Korea having the second largest number of confirmed infections in the world after China, although this was superseded by Italy this week.
South Korea has established “special immigration procedures” to monitor arrivals for two weeks without having to ban inbound travellers from entering the country.

Coronavirus: South Korea’s infection rate falls without citywide lockdowns like China, Italy
  • South Korea had 7,513 Covid-19 cases as of Monday, with daily infections falling for a fourth consecutive day
  • Officials attribute the decrease to mass testing, improved public communication and the use of advanced technology
86d50dd4-62a0-11ea-8e9f-2d196083a37c_image_hires_064928.jpg

South Korea has seen a steady decrease in new coronavirus cases for four consecutive days, despite being one of the worst-affected countries outside China, although global attention has shifted towards outbreaks in Italy and Iran.

As of end-Monday, it had 7,513 cases and 54 deaths. The Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said there was an increase of 131 cases from Sunday to Monday.
The country averaged more than 500 new infections a day for the past two weeks, but last Friday, this number dipped to 438, then 367 on Saturday and 248 on Sunday. The daily number of confirmed cases is reported the following day.

The steady decrease in cases has been attributed to a variety of factors, including mass testing, improved public communications and the use of technology. Extensive testing of members of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, which was linked to more than 60 per cent of the country’s cases, has been completed.
South Korean officials have shared their experiences in containing the outbreak, saying that citywide lockdowns, as imposed by China in Wuhan, where the outbreak originated, are difficult to enforce in an open society.
China also introduced strict social distancing and extensive monitoring of citizens and ensured their adherence to preventive measures with punishment and rewards, resulting in a significant drop in the number of new cases.
“Without harming the principle of a transparent and open society, we recommend a response system that blends voluntary public participation with creative applications of advanced technology,” South Korea’s Vice Health Minister Kim Gang-lip told journalists.

Conventional and coercive measures such as lockdowns of affected areas have drawbacks, he said, undermining the spirit of democracy and alienating the public who should participate actively in preventive efforts.
“Public participation must be secured through openness and transparency,” he said.

South Korea has been proactive in providing its citizens with the information needed to stay safe, including twice-daily media briefings and emergency alerts sent by mobile phone to those living or working in districts where new cases have been confirmed. Details about the travel histories of confirmed patients are also available on municipal websites, sometimes with breakdowns of a patient’s residence or employer, which can make them identifiable individually, leading to concerns about privacy.

The importance of maintaining good hygiene has also been stressed. South Koreans seldom leave their homes without wearing a face mask, with many buildings putting up signs reading “No Masks, No Entry”. Restaurant workers and retail staff wear masks while serving customers.
“I don’t like to wear a mask as I have to smell my own breath. I didn’t bother to wear as usual when I sneezed couple of times in the metro. Then other commuters frowned on me and stepped away from me. At that time, I decided to follow the trend and wear a mask,” said Min Gyeong-wook, a 35-year-old company employee.

South Korea has also come up with creative measures, including about 50 drive-through testing stations across the country, where it takes only 10 minutes to go through the whole procedure. Test results are available within hours.

Covid-19 tests are prohibitively expensive in many countries but in South Korea, all tests are free. The country is also capable of processing up to 15,000 diagnostic tests a day, and the aggregate number of tests has reached almost 200,000.

This testing capability has enabled the country to identify patients early and minimise the harmful effects, health experts say. But this also led to South Korea having the second largest number of confirmed infections in the world after China, although this was superseded by Italy this week.
South Korea has established “special immigration procedures” to monitor arrivals for two weeks without having to ban inbound travellers from entering the country.

The fact that it has the second highest incidence per million people wasn't a factor? Come on now. There isn't that much room to go higher.

The fact that it has the second highest incidence per million people wasn't a factor? Come on now. There isn't that much room to go higher.

Let's hope those words don't come back and bite or infect you.

The point of the article is that is a middle ground on how you can attack the problem. Ok, some gov'ts are as proactive as say HK or Singapore. The other extremes are like China and Italy.

If the cats out of the bag, the Korean approach would be still do-able.

Wait too long, its the Italian approach, though the fatality rate in the US may not be as high simply because of the lower portion of old folks in the States, unlike Italy.

(fyi. I still think it's possible to do the SG/HK approach in the States.)

As of Monday, there were 7,513 cases and 54 deaths. The population of S. Korea is 52 million (Wikipedia). I would say there is plenty of room to grow!

Reactions: Bill4411
Let's hope those words don't come back and bite or infect you.

The point of the article is that is a middle ground on how you can attack the problem. Ok, some gov'ts are as proactive as say HK or Singapore. The other extremes are like China and Italy.

If the cats out of the bag, the Korean approach would be still do-able.

Wait too long, its the Italian approach, though the fatality rate in the US may not be as high simply because of the lower portion of old folks in the States, unlike Italy.

(fyi. I still think it's possible to do the SG/HK approach in the States.)

Very odd just how deadly and infections it is in Italy vs. SK, others. Italy's median age (~45 yrs) is not that far above SK (~41 yrs)

Very odd just how deadly and infections it is in Italy vs. SK, others. Italy's median age (~45 yrs) is not that far above SK (~41 yrs)

Its not the median age you need to look at.

Italy, With Aging Population, Has World’s Highest Daily Deaths From Virus
Coronavirus has killed 5% of known cases, even higher in the worst-affected region, versus a global average of 3.5%

Italy has 23% of its population over 65.
Korea has 14.9%

(USA has 16.9% -- though 50%-55% of them will have one chronic disease)

I think Singapore has 20+% of people over 60. Thus the sense of urgency considering the disproportionally large group of vulnerables.

Its not the median age you need to look at.

Italy, With Aging Population, Has World’s Highest Daily Deaths From Virus
Coronavirus has killed 5% of known cases, even higher in the worst-affected region, versus a global average of 3.5%

Italy has 23% of its population over 65.
Korea has 14.9%

(USA has 16.9% -- though 50%-55% of them will have one chronic disease)

I think Singapore has 20+% of people over 60. Thus the sense of urgency considering the disproportionally large group of vulnerables.

Fair, but even with these stats, the deaths per case is disproportionate between the two.

Fair, but even with these stats, the deaths per case is disproportionate between the two.

Ok, there was a tweet I posted -- it describes what its like working in an Italian hospital. Its past the tipping point of the capacity of the healthcare infra.

I asked a healthcare professional here why we have no deaths so far though (though I think it will happen at some point, nothing is perfect after all) -- she said, we aim to keep the numbers as low as possible so that we can provide the best-individualised treatment per patient. When the numbers get too big and start to stress the infrastructure, then that individualise treatment will be in jeopardy. Then fatality happens. (She is an administrator as you can tell. You speak to clinicians and its obviously their skills!)

The tweet described the doctor's hospital operating at 200% and with a shortage of oxygen where they have to triage/decide who get it now. The clinicians don't want to go home for the fear that they will infect their families and are probably infected themselves by now -- probably running short of PPE.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT