ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

Cream&Crimson

All-American
Apr 15, 2003
So, this is obviously going to be a major thing for a while. We're all watching, in real time, the spread of a new Human virus across the globe which is already literally a pandemic. We, here and now at this point in time today, are still looking at it from an early point. This time next week, things may be very different.

So many tentacles to this. I for one am both fascinated and terrified. This will be interesting to watch unfold, from an academic standpoint. But it will be tragic too, to witness the loss of life. What effect will it have on the world economy? How much loss of life will result? How will it effect our lives here in the Midwest? Politically, what will happen? Lots of stuff to follow here.

Seems fitting to start a thread to track all this, though I know another thread has been the defacto place to discuss it to this point. But I think it's worth thinking and discussing this beyond the issues around the Administration's response.

So, this is obviously going to be a major thing for a while. We're all watching, in real time, the spread of a new Human virus across the globe which is already literally a pandemic. We, here and now at this point in time today, are still looking at it from an early point. This time next week, things may be very different.

So many tentacles to this. I for one am both fascinated and terrified. This will be interesting to watch unfold, from an academic standpoint. But it will be tragic too, to witness the loss of life. What effect will it have on the world economy? How much loss of life will result? How will it effect our lives here in the Midwest? Politically, what will happen? Lots of stuff to follow here.

Seems fitting to start a thread to track all this, though I know another thread has been the defacto place to discuss it to this point. But I think it's worth thinking and discussing this beyond the issues around the Administration's response.
I just saw that Italy's Serie A directors are meeting Wed to discuss the virus and canceling the remainder of the season. Crazy stuff.

I just saw that Italy's Serie A directors are meeting Wed to discuss the virus and canceling the remainder of the season. Crazy stuff.
This brings up one fascinating angle to this: what will major sporting events do? Will the Olympics still take place? What will MLB in the US do this Spring/Summer? Soccer internationally (admittedly I am completely ignorant about soccer). Right now some of those ideas about cancelling events seem extreme. But if within the the next month if we see exponential spread of this virus (as I expect we will), will it mean cancelling all mass gathering events? How will that impact society?

This doesn't seem as bad as those who have a pecuniary or other vested interests in scaring us want us to believe. This provides some measure of comfort and some common sense self protection suggestions.

This brings up one fascinating angle to this: what will major sporting events do? Will the Olympics still take place? What will MLB in the US do this Spring/Summer? Soccer internationally (admittedly I am completely ignorant about soccer). Right now some of those ideas about cancelling events seem extreme. But if within the the next month if we see exponential spread of this virus (as I expect we will), will it mean cancelling all mass gathering events? How will that impact society?

It will indicate the priorities and values of society -- do you put more value on commercial activities than the need to contain a potential killer? Churches here had stopped having gathers fro a couple of weeks. I am not sure if they had re-started. (I did hear church bells yesterday but I am not sure what that means.)

Are people willing to put up with draconian measures in order to contain the spread? If you cant stop self-inflicted mass shootings with obvious solutions, I cant see enforced home isolations.

Otherwise, there is no other way to stop it barring vaccines. Then even vaccines, it will be those who can afford it first that will survive it best.

Failing that, that's why I was being all big on wearing your PPE everywhere like masks.

I'm totally ignorant on this topic, other than having watched a single episode of pandemic on Netflix lol, but I always thought most viruses are at least somewhat tethered to weather. If that's even remotely accurate I would imagine the hemispheres will see different impacts going forward. I could be way off base here, admittedly.

I'm totally ignorant on this topic, other than having watched a single episode of pandemic on Netflix lol, but I always thought most viruses are at least somewhat tethered to weather. If that's even remotely accurate I would imagine the hemispheres will see different impacts going forward. I could be way off base here, admittedly.

It's not as susceptible to the weather as you think. I live in the tropics. There have been enough cases here or in the region to prove otherwise.

This doesn't seem as bad as those who have a pecuniary or other vested interests in scaring us want us to believe. This provides some measure of comfort and some common sense self protection suggestions.

Its very human to go into denial of things they don't understand, cannot see or not here yet. And that its a foreign thing so it won't happen here.

Bottomline for survival is whether the healthcare system is good enough to cope. The govt having the ability to execute a containment strategy/plan. The people being educated enough to make the necessary precautions.

Its very human to go into denial of things they don't understand, cannot see or not here yet. And that its a foreign thing so it won't happen here.

It's also a good way to avoid anti-depressant and anti-anxiety meds. I'll take denial.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/29/cor...e-to-hold-march-madness-without-audience.html

It's also a good way to avoid anti-depressant and anti-anxiety meds. I'll take denial.
Trust me, I am not on any meds. I don't even drink alcohol nowadays.
I live in the centre of it. I know the impac. But if you are the sort who don't learn from others and only your own experience, then carry on.
Fyi. You arei n the most vulnerable category and not me.

Trust me, I am not on any meds. I don't even drink alcohol nowadays.
I live in the centre of it. I know the impact. But if you are the sort who don't learn from others and only your own experience, then carry on.
Fyi. You arei n the most vulnerable category and not me.

Yes, I am in a more vulnerable demgraphic. I am taking all the precautions mentioned in the article I provided, and took those before I even read it. Still, the arcticle gives me some measure of comfort in tems of the statistics and vulnerabilities that do not apply to me. I think in general people are overreacting. I also think some of that overreaction has to do with Trump.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
A question I have is why are we so short on testing supplies? Haven’t we known this was likely coming for months?

Yes, I am in a more vulnerable demgraphic. I am taking all the precautions mentioned in the article I provided, and took those before I even read it. Still, the arcticle gives me some measure of comfort in tems of the statistics and vulnerabilities that do not apply to me. I think in general people are overreacting. I also think some of that overreaction has to do with Trump.

You tie everything to Trump, have you noticed that?

I keep checking Italy in particular because of my girls abroad. 50% increase in confirmed cases in just one day. 5 more deaths today bringing total to 34.

You tie everything to Trump, have you noticed that?

No I haven't noticed that. I have noticed that I post in response to those who do tie everything to Trump. As noted in the post that prompted your response; I don't think there is any question that much of the hyperbolic response to the Coronavirus is wishing it will adversely affect Trump's reelection.

stauffer_trump_coronavirus.jpg

No I haven't noticed that. I have noticed that I post in response to those who do tie everything to Trump. As noted in the post that prompted your response; I don't think there is any question that much of the hyperbolic response to the Coronavirus is wishing it will adversely affect Trump's reelection.

stauffer_trump_coronavirus.jpg

I made a post congratulating Trump on the Afghan treaty. One Trump supporter liked it, nom commented. I think some of you are discovering confirmation bias.

I made a post congratulating Trump on the Afghan treaty. One Trump supporter liked it, nom commented. I think some of you are discovering confirmation bias.

I saw that post. Thought about adding to your thought, but the only thing that came to mind was a comment about the general lack of recognition of that event. So I took pass.

I was thinking about this today and how fast this thing can travel and how interconnected our world really is. A 7 year old boy from my church has been locked in a battle with leukemia, so they took him to Seattle children’s hospital for treatment. He’s doing a lot better now but he was in a coma at one point.

We got an update this morning from his aunt, who had just flown back from Seattle yesterday. Where there have been confirmed cases of corona virus.

Im not sure there’s really any practical way to contain something like this. Pretty scary.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
Yeah this is exactly the sort of thing we're going to see over the next few weeks. It's a tough decision on the part of those who make those sorts of decisions: Lots of revenue at stake that has already been counted on and factored into annual financial considerations.
That's particular statement is silly. "Protect the players"??? How about protecting the audience from itself?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
That's particular statement is silly. "Protect the players"??? How about protecting the audience from itself?
Yeah the players are f**ked. It's not about them. It's about P/L for the teams/entities that employ players.

I was thinking about this today and how fast this thing can travel and how interconnected our world really is. A 7 year old boy from my church has been locked in a battle with leukemia, so they took him to Seattle children’s hospital for treatment. He’s doing a lot better now but he was in a coma at one point.

We got an update this morning from his aunt, who had just flown back from Seattle yesterday. Where there have been confirmed cases of corona virus.

Im not sure there’s really any practical way to contain something like this. Pretty scary.

The vulnerables are those over-60 and with chronics. In general, very very few infants have died. However, the kid has the vulnerability associated with his cancer. 1st level contact with close contact folks need to be home isolated. The 2nd level people need to start wearing masks just in case. Thats what they are doing here.

A small cluster from an IT company developed last week -- employees and one of their kid.

Now large companies are starting to segregate their key personnel into separate locations/campuses, no direct contact unless necessary. Otherwise, any small cluster formed within the company could have a huge financial impact when they get home isolation/quarantined for two weeks.

Please provide a main stream media link to back your claim, or retract it. Thanks in advance.

Is main steam more scientific? I provided a link from a real expert providing an opinion within his field of expertise and you ask for a "main stream" link? Why are you against science?

This is where you are thinking in terms of checkers versus chess. You are looking at it in terms of line items, linear and statistics.

Every country outside China started off with one single source. It balloons up after a certain number into webs and then webs onto more complex webs. The only solution right now barring any vaccine is containment.
If everyone takes such a self-interest, blase view on it like you, then any containment exercises will be futile.

Last edited:
Is main steam more scientific? I provided a link from a real expert providing an opinion within his field of expertise and you ask for a "main stream" link? Why are you against science?
Mainstream media is more vetted. If you're posting links from some fringe source (as this appears to be upon cursory examination) then I won't take it seriously. I'm actually all about science. But it needs to be from legit sources. Post that and I'll pay attention.

Mainstream media is more vetted. If you're posting links from some fringe source (as this appears to be upon cursory examination) then I won't take it seriously. I'm actually all about science. But it needs to be from legit sources. Post that and I'll pay attention.

tenor.gif

If everyone takes such a self-interest, blase view on it like you, there won't be any containment exercises will be futile.

What?!?! First, where do you get the iea that I'm being self interested? Where do you get the idea I'm blasé? And most importantly, selfishly keeping oneself healthy, or if being sick, knowing that self-quarantining is the best containment.

If being full of shit is provides a resistance, you don't need to worry.

Last edited:

Really, mainstream media is more vetted? Since when? You want to explain the muzzling
nonsense that the mainstream New York Times published?

What?!?! First, where do you get the iea that I'm being self interested? Where do you get the idea I'm blasé? And most importantly, selfishly keeping oneself healthy, or if being sick, knowing that self-quarantining is the best containment.

If being full of shit is provides a resistance, you don't need to worry.

If not then, its self-awareness that you lack, for sure coronavirus or otherwise.

Your link had four points, and two of them were about how Democrats and the MSM were out to get Trump, and we shouldn't believe them. So I guess your real expert's "field of expertise" is partisan hackery? I guess that's at least on-brand for you.

This is where you are thinking in terms of checkers versus chess. You are looking at it in terms of line items, linear and statistics.

Every country outside China started off with one single source. It balloons up after a certain number into webs and then webs onto more complex webs. The only solution right now barring any vaccine is containment.
If everyone takes such a self-interest, blase view on it like you, then any containment exercises will be futile.
IANAE*, but it seems to me, based on the apparent ability of this disease to spread quickly before any symptoms manifest, containment exercises may be futile, anyway.

Considering I care for an elderly parent with additional risk factors, we've already discussed a plan for the virus, and it's less about how to not catch it (since she can lock herself away all she wants, and still get it from me), and more about being vigilant about her own health and not being afraid to call the doctor the very second she feels she might be experiencing any sort of respiratory distress.

*I am not an epidemiologist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT