ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to Miller

HoosierAlum07

Junior
Dec 30, 2013
images

suprised he’s even made it this far in his basketball career alone tbh! His lateral defense must be greatly improved by now from when at IU!

images

suprised he’s even made it this far in his basketball career alone tbh! His lateral defense must be greatly improved by now from when at IU!
Hard to compensate for lack of athleticism compared to the folks you're playing against (ask Steve Alford), but I think Miller caught way too much crap from this board. He seemed like a good kid and hard worker to me, and I think it rankled people that he was doing SM stuff, while seemingly struggling to find his place. Personally, I don't think it was his fault that he was misused or under-used and respect that he stuck it out because he wanted to be a Hoosier.

He was neither ..
I think Kopp could have given us a lot more than he did offensively. Shot 140 3s as a 44% 3 pt shooter, and best on our team? 8ppg? I'd think that 3pt # could have been 50% higher, and so could his ppg.

... I think it rankled people that he was doing SM stuff, while seemingly struggling to find his place. ...
Actual question, what is SM stuff?

Good for Kopp. Congrats!

I wasn't impressed with him as a shooter, at least first year. But part of that was hype coming in from Northwestern. Maybe I was expecting an elite shooter like some of the truly great shooters Indiana has had in the past. We've seen Alford, Wittman, others. Northwestern hasn't seen as many.

He did end up playing and shooting well by the end.

Last edited:

Good for Kopp. Congrats!

I wasn't impressed with him as a shooter, at least first year. But part of that was hype coming in from Northwestern. Maybe I was expecting an elite shooter like some of the truly great shooters Indiana has had in the past. We've seen Alford, Wittman, others. Northwestern hasn't seen as many.

Social media

Reactions: kkott

Good for Kopp. Congrats!

He just wasn't a guy who could get his own shots. He needed to come off screens or some type of movement to catch and shoot. That's really not something Woodson's offense generates for a guy like him.

I think Kopp could have given us a lot more than he did offensively. Shot 140 3s as a 44% 3 pt shooter, and best on our team? 8ppg? I'd think that 3pt # could have been 50% higher, and so could his ppg.
He was a stand still shooter with a slow release, no moves, and not a good cutter. It's not always a matter of saying get more shots or running more plays for him and it happens. The player has to have the ability to get more shots also. His job was to burn doubles on the interior. He did that well .. The interior could have passed it out more, sure. He could have shot more in transition, sure. He could have shot more guarded shots, sure ... but would that have increased our wins or just his shooting stats?

I think he did just fine with what he had. We'll never know what could have happened, so I won't argue about alternate realities, we only know what did ...

Reactions: demunn and Cavanagh
He just wasn't a guy who could get his own shots. He needed to come off screens or some type of movement to catch and shoot. That's really not something Woodson's offense generates for a guy like him.
Which really puzzles me considering who Woody played for in college. I get his NBA coaching sets and all, but he never seemed to draw up anything to get the guy free looks from 3. The guy was a weapon Woody chose not to utilize near as much as he should have.

The interior could have passed it out more, sure. He could have shot more in transition, sure. He could have shot more guarded shots
isn't that another way of saying he was underutilized? We had one of the better shooters we've had in the last 10 years, and we didn't try and find shots for him? He took 140 some... 4 a game? Cormac Ryan at UNC who had similar minutes took 212 and that was with RJ Davis taking 280. Heck, Ingram took 169. Yes, I'd have been looking for him in transition, out of the post... good shooter: we should have fed him!

Reactions: All4You and 4IUSox2
isn't that another way of saying he was underutilized? We had one of the better shooters we've had in the last 10 years, and we didn't try and find shots for him? He took 140 some... 4 a game? Cormac Ryan at UNC who had similar minutes took 212 and that was with RJ Davis taking 280. Heck, Ingram took 169. Yes, I'd have been looking for him in transition, out of the post... good shooter: we should have fed him!
He hesitated a shit ton. That was on him. He could have shot 200, and got blocked 3 or 4 more times.

He hesitated a shit ton. That was on him. He could have shot 200, and got blocked 3 or 4 more times.
Guess we'll never know, but I'd agree he wasn't as eager to let it fly as most good shooters are. But, that also seems like something that's normally pretty easy to correct and get out of a player. I just think he was capable of helping us more than he did. If that's on him, then I think criticism is warranted, if the coaches couldn't find ways to take advantage of his shooting more, then that's not his fault. I just felt like he took a lot of grief on here, and all he did was come here and seemingly have a good attitude and do what was asked of him.

Which really puzzles me considering who Woody played for in college. I get his NBA coaching sets and all, but he never seemed to draw up anything to get the guy free looks from 3. The guy was a weapon Woody chose not to utilize near as much as he should have.
TMP explained it up thread. Woody wanted him to stand over there in the corner and force teams to not double the post.

Woodson played for Knight. Armon Hill played for Pete Carril. The lack of action on offense is mind-boggling, given the systems they played in during their college days.

Reactions: All4You and 4IUSox2
There were games afterwards that TJD said in the press conference that he had been telling Kopp to shoot more. So I think some of it was on Kopp being too hesitant for whatever reason.

Goode reminds me of him
Admittedly, I've not watched a ton of IL games, and in the games I have seen Goode comes off the bench, but I always kept an eye on him because I knew he was an IN kid. Loved his shot and he always looked pretty solid to me. Seems a little bigger and maybe more physical on D to me than Kopp. I think it's a great pickup to help out this year, and who knows, may help on the recruiting front because he's an IN kid that came back to play at IU.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Some of that is being ready to shoot, and receiving the pass in the correct spot to shoot (from that ready position) all in one motion. When I look back at the great IU teams everything had a purpose: movement, passing, dribbling, screening, shot faking….all of it was done with a purpose. Too often when Miller (Kopp) was here I felt that people were not executing with a purpose which leads to hesitation and poor decision making.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT