ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Woodson better be watching the 3’s being made in the Oakland vs Kentucky game

ufo33

Hall of Famer
Jul 7, 2005
Modern basketball
Adopt it or get crushed by it
Outside game rules when shots go in
Oakland now has made 15th 3pt shot of the night! That 15 extra points!!

Modern basketball

You didn't watch the game and are spitting box score BS.

Oakland ran a ton of post ups.

Get an effing clue

He isn't watching it he has his system and he is not changing it.. Notice no staff shakeup so far.
Of course not! His crack recruiters are too busy working 24/7 scouring the portal for the next X, Sparks, Walker, Durr, or (insert name here of any other completely broken shooter). Don’t forget, this is the new NIL Mecca for castoffs and misfits.

Of course not! His crack recruiters are too busy working 24/7 scouring the portal for the next X, Sparks, Walker, Durr, or (insert name here of any other completely broken shooter). Don’t forget, this is the new NIL Mecca for castoffs and misfits.
All those good stats from low mid major teams which translate to CJ Gunn/Freshman Gabe Cupps type #s at IU. Queens, EKU, lol. Atleast the Furman kid rebounds well at 7.5. Could maybe grab 3 a game at IU.

Modern basketball
Great point. That is where the game was won. UK didn't play badly. They just got outscored on the 3 pt line. As I get older I think about making memories. Those Oakland players can tell their grandkids about this someday.

They didn't take a lot of 3's? Man I must be drunker than I thought.
It really wasn't the # of 3s they took, it was the # they made. They took 31 to UK's 28, but made 15 to UK's 9. But to his point, Oakland also got to the line a bunch, which presumably means they were going inside. Because we know, as every PU fan on here has railed, that teams never go to the FT line if they are mostly a 3 pt shooting team. And yet here we have a case where the underdog team that relies on 3s, actually took more FTs than the more physical and higher ranked team? Hmmm, I've been told that's just not possible!

Seriously? They shot 31 threes and made 48% of them.

That's the reason they beat Kentucky.

It wasn't the post-ups. LOL
But it wasn't NOT the post ups either. I've been lectured for years now that 3 pt shooting "underdog" teams would never go to the line as much as the more physical team does, and yet here we have a case where the underdog 3 pt shooting team went to the line more (but made 2 fewer I think), so that contributed mightily. Heck, if Oakland had been playing PU, and relying on 3s as they do, they might've gotten outshot at the FT line something to the tune of 42-8 or whatever ridiculous # that was vs NW, and they'd have never been within 10 pts of UK. It's almost as if, Edey gets preferential treatment or something!

It really wasn't the # of 3s they took, it was the # they made. They took 31 to UK's 28, but made 15 to UK's 9. But to his point, Oakland also got to the line a bunch, which presumably means they were going inside. Because we know, as every PU fan on here has railed, that teams never go to the FT line if they are mostly a 3 pt shooting team. And yet here we have a case where the underdog team that relies on 3s, actually took more FTs than the more physical and higher ranked team? Hmmm, I've been told that's just not possible!
You can't make a lot of 3's without taking a lot of 3's. They went to the line because 3 guys would fly at their 3 point shooter leading to a 4 on 2 in which case Kentucky would have to foul to prevent a layup. They got fouled on very few post ups.

Seriously? They shot 31 threes and made 48% of them.

That's the reason they beat Kentucky.

It wasn't the post-ups. LOL
There is some truth to it though. Gohlke took 20 3s in this game...before this game he averaged taking 8-9. The rest of the team went 5-11. They're probably normally an 8-21 type team from the 3. They're not a Samford type team that ALWAYS takes 30+ threes a game.

In their conference championship win, they only took 22, and hit 8...and Gohlke tood 12 of them. In that game they rode Townsend to the win.

But for sure, once Gohlke got hot, they started looking for him a lot, and his 10 threes were the main difference maker, in the end. I haven't followed them, but it seems like they're a team that runs a well balance offense, and ends up riding the hot hands quite a lot.

I never thought he would change a thing though some said he had too..
Modern basketball
Nobody tells Mike Woodson how to coach. Pound it in the paint baby over and over again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT