ADVERTISEMENT

cities bracing for black unrest this weekend.

I said they are lucky more weren't. Ask you a question. Let's say you are home with your wife and kids. How many doors and windows are you going to let a mob break through until you protect your family?

What if had already seen this mob attack others and some are chanting hang Dan's wife? So you just try and talk to them? Man you are soft.
You know what? If someone is at your window and not in your house, you are not allowed to use deadly force.

And no - you said you wish more had been killed. You're sick.

Reactions: Crayfish57
You know what? If someone is at your window and not in your house, you are not allowed to use deadly force.

You guys are soft on crime when it fits your agenda. That's the only reason you care this moron was shot. I've entertained you enough tonight. Have a good one.

When Rittenhouse was tried, I agreed when several of the conservatives here said that about the people he shot,"play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

Many of the fair minded conservatives here agree with that with Babbitt. But some suddenly change their minds.

Is breaking through a window in the US Capitol with a mob and try to climb through which would cutoff the retreat route of members still in the balcony a "stupid game"?
Without question. In virtually every one of the scenarios, while the police may be at fault for their actions, the root cause is the behavior, lack of compliance, etc. of the “victims” to put themselves in that position, including Bobbit.

Without question. In virtually every one of the scenarios, while the police may be at fault for their actions, the root cause is the behavior, lack of compliance, etc. of the “victims” to put themselves in that position, including Bobbit.
Babbitt. Bobbit got his pecker lopped off. I’d be shocked if in retrospect he didn’t see it as a blessing

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and jet812
What I read, and I’m going by memory, is that the mob was trying to break in, the cop is following on his radio and hearing that cops are down, it’s chaotic, he has an army of misfits and nerds he’s charged to protect, and this idiot breaks in and he shoots. He doesn’t know if she has a gun. A weapon. Whatever. Self defense. Defense of congress reps etc. That fact pattern is nothing like that of the cops in Memphis
It is two separate conversations. I am not convinced the Capitol police officer used justifiable force. I think that many of those who are convinced do so because of the politics of the person shot moreso than what Babbitt was doing (because I have seen them argue vehemently for people doing worse not being justifiably shot by police....)

Should be a completely different thread though. The officers in Memphis were totally in the wrong. The decision (good or bad) for Babbitt doesn't really play into this one way or the other.

No she wasn't.
She traveled 2500 miles on her own dime to attend a "rally" and ended up part of a mob. While I won't go as far as trash, it's an interesting case nonetheless.

Why would someone do that? Someone that committed just screams "violent person". Imagine the grudges she held against her exes, yikes.

She seems nice.
There are going to be varying levels of dumbass behavior that you are going to be able to dig out of anyone's past. Anyone.

She's trash because she was a Trump supporter. That is about as deep as it goes w.r.t. what happened with her. I think there are justifiable and rational arguments to be made on each side of her shooting, but you can't have rational arguments around anything even tangentially related to Trump.

If we want to rehash her situation though, we probably should do it in its own thread.

Reactions: larsIU

How about if they are coming through the window and door in a violent mob?

There are going to be varying levels of dumbass behavior that you are going to be able to dig out of anyone's past. Anyone.

She's trash because she was a Trump supporter. That is about as deep as it goes w.r.t. what happened with her. I think there are justifiable and rational arguments to be made on each side of her shooting, but you can't have rational arguments around anything even tangentially related to Trump.

If we want to rehash her situation though, we probably should do it in its own thread.
Fair enough. But have you ever traveled 2500 miles for anything other than family or vacation?

She did it for an idea that was false. Why did that happen. I don't think she started out as unhinged but she ended up that way and, ultimately, it cost her her life. We really should try to understant what about our society and culture is causing this.

We talk about her b/c she died. But there were thousands of others there. I'll admit many of the left are quick to just call them whack jobs and trash but they are people like the rest of us but somehow they have been radicalized (I feel that is appropriate and not flame bait) just like the Antifa folks on the left.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
Memphis police to release the tapes Friday night. Free looting if you're into it. wonder what led them to beat him to death all 5 officers were black. has to be more to the story. the usual outstanding young man Ben Crump on board, shoot a 3-year-old in a drive by the community will release a few balloons and move on, but these police killings really cause a lot of problems, stay out of downtown areas this weekend.
Doesn't appear that there was much violence which is good. The saving grace here is that the cops who did this are not white.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
She traveled 2500 miles on her own dime to attend a "rally" and ended up part of a mob. While I won't go as far as trash, it's an interesting case nonetheless.

Why would someone do that? Someone that committed just screams "violent person". Imagine the grudges she held against her exes, yikes.
Maybe because she actually believes in something?

I didn't see your posts pointing out that the recent Atlanta riots drew people from the Pacific Northwest states.

Fair enough. But have you ever traveled 2500 miles for anything other than family or vacation?

She did it for an idea that was false. Why did that happen. I don't think she started out as unhinged but she ended up that way and, ultimately, it cost her her life. We really should try to understant what about our society and culture is causing this.

We talk about her b/c she died. But there were thousands of others there. I'll admit many of the left are quick to just call them whack jobs and trash but they are people like the rest of us but somehow they have been radicalized (I feel that is appropriate and not flame bait) just like the Antifa folks on the left.
I have. I traveled to California for the Army and then to Germany.

That was for an 'idea' - an idea that defending your country is worth some personal sacrifice.

If you're in the United States, your civil rights still apply, no matter what state you're in. To infer that it was OK she was shot because she came to protest is just strange.

I didn't see your posts pointing out that the recent Atlanta riots drew people from the Pacific Northwest states.
I called out the Antifa loons.

That was for an 'idea' - an idea that defending your country is worth some personal sacrifice.
Defending your country by joining the military is certainly idealistic and honorable.

What she was doing was not honorable. But she didn't start out that way. Something changed in her that caused this and that something was spurred on by a media that cares little for facts and really only caters to people's desires for what the world should be. Left, right, whatever.

Tribalism baked into our lizard brains took care of the rest.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
I called out the Antifa loons.

Defending your country by joining the military is certainly idealistic and honorable.

What she was doing was not honorable. But she didn't start out that way. Something changed in her that caused this and that something was spurred on by a media that cares little for facts and really only caters to people's desires for what the world should be. Left, right, whatever.

Tribalism baked into our lizard brains took care of the rest.
Yes, you did call them out in the post after the one I responded to.

And Babbitt was a veteran, so her service to her country was honorable

It all depends on what side you're on if she's 'honorable' or not. Sam Adams and the Sons of Liberty were not honorable to the British.

She wasn't coming through the window. She was outside the room, hanging on the window.
You seriously don't think she was going through when shot? You think she was just chilling there?

The Memphis cops are properly in the criminal justice system. The Capitol cop wasn't even subject to serious independent review. The cop shot from a concealed position.. Babbitt wasn’t even given a “stop or I’ll shoot warning”.

Gun drawn and door barricaded wasn't enough of a warning to stop?

How dumb do you think Babbitt was that you won't give her credit for being intelligent enough to read the room so to speak?

They aren’t germane to what the shooter perceived and his trained response to same
The cop intended to kill an intruder from a concealed position, without warning, and his chosen target had no visible weapon. There was no friendly whose life was at risk. The cop may have been afraid, but his fear must be reasonably held. If he was given an order to kill the rioters, we should know that. That’s not an unreasonable order, all rioters in all public buildings should know that. But he was a high ranking officer and should be giving orders, not receiving them. Instead he was hiding and decided to ambush a rioter. Then he continued his anonymity for weeks.

This whole thing stinks to high heaven. The whole review was politics as usual. I think the word was delivered by a political operative that this was to be a good shoot regardless of the facts.

If rioters in public buildings intend to disrupt government operations are to be killed (not a bad idea) let’s send that message to every corner of the country.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory and DANC
We need to peel off a few billion from defense spending and add it to police spending. Increase wages across the board. Attract better candidates and more of them. Put strict physical AND mental health training. Protect and Serve. No bigger "defense" spend than that.

While were at it, That's where border security funding should come from as well.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Gun drawn and door barricaded wasn't enough of a warning to stop?

How dumb do you think Babbitt was that you won't give her credit for being intelligent enough to read the room so to speak?
Talk about dumb - she couldn't see the cop who was hiding to the side.

He gave no warning - none.

As our President is fond of saying. Why was that Capitol Police officer shooting to kill? Maybe he could have shot to wound or fired off some rounds into the air.

What do you think the deer are wearing Kevlar vests?

Reactions: DANC
We need to peel off a few billion from defense spending and add it to police spending. Increase wages across the board. Attract better candidates and more of them. Put strict physical AND mental health training. Protect and Serve. No bigger "defense" spend than that.

While were at it, That's where border security funding should come from as well.
I agree, but you're talking about federal troops guarding the border. I don't have a problem with it, but it would be a pretty radical move.

The cop intended to kill an intruder from a concealed position, without warning, and his chosen target had no visible weapon. There was no friendly whose life was at risk. The cop may have been afraid, but his fear must be reasonably held. If he was given an order to kill the rioters, we should know that. That’s not an unreasonable order, all rioters in all public buildings should know that. But he was a high ranking officer and should be giving orders, not receiving them. Instead he was hiding and decided to ambush a rioter. Then he continued his anonymity for weeks.

This whole thing stinks to high heaven. The whole review was politics as usual. I think the word was delivered by a political operative that this was to be a good shoot regardless of the facts.

If rioters in public buildings intend to disrupt government operations are to be killed (not a bad idea) let’s send that message to every corner of the country.
You guys keep saying they she had no visible weapon. I am guessing the officer gave a report/statement. That info would have been included. What did the officer say?

Totally agree. And a massive public education campaign on how to engage police. Too many avoidable situations

Reactions: mrhighlife
You guys keep saying they she had no visible weapon. I am guessing the officer gave a report/statement. That info would have been included. What did the officer say?
Who knows? That's the whole point - there was no independent investigation and reporting of the facts of the incident.

When Rittenhouse was tried, I agreed when several of the conservatives here said that about the people he shot,"play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

Many of the fair minded conservatives here agree with that with Babbitt. But some suddenly change their minds.

Is breaking through a window in the US Capitol with a mob and try to climb through which would cutoff the retreat route of members still in the balcony a "stupid game"?
Bingo. You framing the issue around “conservatives “ proves my point that the issue is political. As a matter of pure police conduct, I think Babbitt was a bad shoot. But as you note, I’m a conservative so objectiveness is out the window.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT