ADVERTISEMENT

cities bracing for black unrest this weekend.

Nothing wrong with spending on functional stuff.

Most people buying Jordans can barely walk and chew gum at the same time much less dunk a basketball lol
Only way I can take concrete anymore and I still go through them fairly fast. Some of those Jordan buyers should likely invest in suspenders or a belt along the way!

I can't get collecting shoes though!

Anyone have a good link explaining what happens in the video and why these guys did what they did (if they've said anything)? I really don't want to watch a man being beaten to death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jet812
My college son uses various bots to buy Jordan's, other high end shoes, and gaming systems. I knew a lot of crap was coming and going working from home.

Then he hit me with the PayPal 1099k for $43,000. The dumb crap people spend money on. Did most of his sales in the local police parking lot.
That’s awesome

Anyone have a good link explaining what happens in the video and why these guys they say they did what they did (if they've said anything)? I really don't want to watch a man being beaten to death.
No I don’t want to see it either. I keep thinking there has to be more to the story.

Reactions: ulrey
Anyone have a good link explaining what happens in the video and why these guys did what they did (if they've said anything)? I really don't want to watch a man being beaten to death.
I won’t watch either. I guess it’s even in question why he was pulled over. They claim reckless driving but police chief said there was no real evidence of that.

I saw a snippet that didnt look horrid but it was hard to see. It looked bad dont get me wrong. How though with 5 cops and one guy do they need to do that? I didnt see him doing anything to warrant the rage. It wouldnt have been an excuse but not like he was a cop killer they were tracking. I heard he ran and was thinking like ran a long way and he didnt. 5 grown men and again have skimmed but he didnt have a weapon?

next time a kid is shot in their home in a drive by would like to see all the protesters march on the gangs. burn their homes down. Send don lemon to report on it. where about a generation from becoming mexico where the thugs are more powerful than the government

next time a kid is shot in their home in a drive by would like to see all the protesters march on the gangs. burn their homes down. Send don lemon to report on it. where about a generation from becoming mexico where the thugs are more powerful than the government

tenor.gif

This news account is a good summary

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
There are 3 videos. The first, I don't know how far into the stop they were, but officer pulls up and they are yanking open door. They pull him out of car and tell him to get on ground. He says he is on ground and is saying ok and he didn't do anything. They have one arm pinned and appear to be trying to get him in position to cuff. Officer whose camera we are watching through goes to taze and the guy bolts. They chase for a bit but he is gone.

Worst is video 2 taken from a CCTV camera. They stop him and are struggling. I saw at least 2 kicks to the head. He was stood up and punched several times. Hit with baton. He wouldn't completely stay down but looked punch drunk too mex particularly after the kicks to the head.

Third video you get the audio. Officer camera that is down kind of taking part in what you can see from CCTV. Not a full view like the CCTV but you get more audio and probably a closer look at some of the worst hits.

It was one of the more egregious videos of this type of thing I have seen. They did not appear to be trying to detain to me and if they were, they are woefully trained at doing it. They even get him up to beat on him. The celebrating and fist bumping after beating the guy aren't a good look either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
There are 3 videos. The first, I don't know how far into the stop they were, but officer pulls up and they are yanking open door. They pull him out of car and tell him to get on ground. He says he is on ground and is saying ok and he didn't do anything. They have one arm pinned and appear to be trying to get him in position to cuff. Officer whose camera we are watching through goes to taze and the guy bolts. They chase for a bit but he is gone.

Worst is video 2 taken from a CCTV camera. They stop him and are struggling. I saw at least 2 kicks to the head. He was stood up and punched several times. Hit with baton. He wouldn't completely stay down but looked punch drunk too mex particularly after the kicks to the head.

Third video you get the audio. Officer camera that is down kind of taking part in what you can see from CCTV. Not a full view like the CCTV but you get more audio and probably a closer look at some of the worst hits.

It was one of the more egregious videos of this type of thing I have seen. They did not appear to be trying to detain to me and if they were, they are woefully trained at doing it. They even get him up to beat on him. The celebrating and fist bumping after beating the guy aren't a good look either.
Brutal. Weird deal. Why were the cops so fired up. Why that much aggression from the cops. Why the delay in treatment. On and on.

Brutal. Weird deal. Why were the cops so fired up. Why that much aggression from the cops. Why the delay in treatment. On and on.
I am NOT suggesting this is the issue, but it COULD be the SCORPION force had some officers who overly bought in to this whole "we are the tip of the spear preserving society" thing. This article makes me think that is possible.

I am NOT suggesting this is the issue, but it COULD be the SCORPION force had some officers who overly bought in to this whole "we are the tip of the spear preserving society" thing. This article makes me think that is possible.

Wow yes

I believe the guy in the article based on the initial interaction you see on the video. You do roll up after some police are already on scene but it seems like they were just getting out of their cars and go from zero to 100 immediately.

Reactions: larsIU
the real question is why isn't EVERYONE rioting in this case.
What do you want to riot about? Racism? The five black officer who killed a black man are charged. The police chief is black. A jury of their peers will hear the case. So what exactly do you want to riot about?

Reactions: Crayfish57 and DANC
I don't understand a well-publicized friday eve release so people can pregame for it.

Release it quietly at 9 am Monday morning.

What do you want to riot about? Racism? The five black officer who killed a black man are charged. The police chief is black. A jury of their peers will hear the case. So what exactly do you want to riot about?
Al Sharpton ans Van Jones can explain that to you.

Reactions: stollcpa

Elite badass units that strut their stuff and have different rules are a bad idea.

Elite badass units that strut their stuff and have different rules are a bad idea.
Not to mention just plain stupid. I get trying to overwhelm communities with presence. That’s smart policing. But integrate. Learn names. Not this stupidity. In the day of tech etc. Everything on camera. Entire P firms dedicated to excessive force and jail abuse cases. Stupid asses

Read my posts stoll. I said this wasn’t racism. It was a human rights violation of the absolute worst kind.

Maybe figure out how this happened? There are 40 members of this SCORPION unit introduced in 2021. 1 out of 8 took part in this, that is a high percentage. Did it happen all 5 bad apples where together at one time? Or are there more bad apples? What screening was done? I linked an article with a guy who claimed he called a few times to report a couple of the members but no one returned his calls. So, was there accountability? Do there need to be improvements in how citizen reporting goes?

One cop doing something stupid is bad, but five makes it at least a little more likely there is a systemic problem at least in SCORPION if not beyond.

Right now the demand is too officially disband the unit, it has been paused. I think that is a driver with the protests. I don't know if the citizens will trust the remainder, disbanding makes sense. And the other members maybe need to do some retraining before rejoining the rest of the force. Either this was a strange but possible statistical anomaly that these 5 we're the only ones who thought this was ok, or the unit as a whole was operating fast and loose.

Watched the videos. Traffic stop. Appeared the cops were aggressive and escalating while the guy was still in his car. He immediately got on the ground as ordered but the aggression continued. Guy ultimately ran away. Can you blame him? Probably was thinking “these motherfvckers are going to kill me.” Cops proceeded to beat him to a pulp. Terrible policing. Mob mentality. Bad people. Reprehensible.

Watched the videos. Traffic stop. Appeared the cops were aggressive and escalating while the guy was still in his car. He immediately got on the ground as ordered but the aggression continued. Guy ultimately ran away. Can you blame him? Probably was thinking “these motherfvckers are going to kill me.” Cops proceeded to beat him to a pulp. Terrible policing. Mob mentality. Bad people. Reprehensible.

Much of this SCORPION force is derived from what Gladwell wrote about in Talking to Strangers. High police presence with broken light policing in extreme high crime areas. It was tested in KC and worked long ago. He spoke of ways it went astray as it rolled out.

This shock and awe aspect is not part of that KC experiment. In KC the idea was to have normal conversations and get them to trip up on what they were saying.

If what these guys did in this stop was close to routine, it is a systemic problem with this unit. It may come from higher up, it may be the nature of being told they are elite, it may just be those 5. But it now needs taught as to what not to do in a simple traffic stop. There may be times capturing a known armed and dangerous this is needed. But they can't make that call on ordinary cases.

Thank you. Terrible stuff.

Much of this SCORPION force is derived from what Gladwell wrote about in Talking to Strangers. High police presence with broken light policing in extreme high crime areas. It was tested in KC and worked long ago. He spoke of ways it went astray as it rolled out.

This shock and awe aspect is not part of that KC experiment. In KC the idea was to have normal conversations and get them to trip up on what they were saying.

If what these guys did in this stop was close to routine, it is a systemic problem with this unit. It may come from higher up, it may be the nature of being told they are elite, it may just be those 5. But it now needs taught as to what not to do in a simple traffic stop. There may be times capturing a known armed and dangerous this is needed. But they can't make that call on ordinary cases.
again in this day and age in the time of technology what they did is beyond stupid

Reactions: larsIU

This stated purpose of this unit seems to make sense:

“Their job is to identify the target area, flood that area with officers and suppress crime in that area mostly by visibility,” said Memphis Police Deputy Chief Don Crowe. “Just being present and having an officer there sees an impact on it.”

Their tactics, however, remind me of a nightmare version of the Untouchables.

“Their job is to identify the target area, flood that area with officers and suppress crime in that area mostly by visibility,” said Memphis Police Deputy Chief Don Crowe. “Just being present and having an officer there sees an impact on it.”

Exactly

Right, the idea of having a presence in the worst areas fits the KC narrative.

But the tactics come out of some very bad playbook. And they did it knowing body cameras were rolling. That makes me think they did not fear accountability.

Right, the idea of having a presence in the worst areas fits the KC narrative.

But the tactics come out of some very bad playbook. And they did it knowing body cameras were rolling. That makes me think they did not fear accountability.
I assume this is the Memphis PD. I looked up their qualifications. High school or GED. No felonies blah blah blah. Bare minimum stuff. Carry dead weight of at least 175 lbs. ironic.

I assume this is the Memphis PD. I looked up their qualifications. High school or GED. No felonies blah blah blah. Bare minimum stuff. Carry dead weight of at least 175 lbs. ironic.
Would a college degree change this? I wonder.

Of course, even if it would, we are going to have to spend a lot more money on police in areas with a lower tax base to staff cops with college degrees. How's that going to play out? Fed or state subsidies? This is the kind of equity/reparations I can get behind. Improving infrastructure of poorer areas to give people (esp. kids) a chance of social/economic mobility.

Would a college degree change this? I wonder.

Of course, even if it would, we are going to have to spend a lot more money on police in areas with a lower tax base to staff cops with college degrees. How's that going to play out? Fed or state subsidies? This is the kind of equity/reparations I can get behind. Improving infrastructure of poorer areas to give people (esp. kids) a chance of social/economic mobility.
It would help, along with additional training. Federal law enforcement is not without problems but significantly better, more professional, than what you see in cities etc. But yes there would have to be more fed/state subsidies. because pay would have to double. And there are inherent problems to what Marv noted re KC and greater presence. Greater presence of the right kind of trained cops is critical, but it's a numbers problem in many of these bombed out cities. Stl City by way of example once had a million residents. Today it has under 300,000. So the high crime areas aren't concentrated in the sense that it's every house, or street, or business district. It's spread out. There's no way to have a "foot" presence. policing neighborhoods is a real challenge. the acreage is too great. this is true in many other similar cities. it's a real challenge. The state of missouri is in the process of trying to take over control of the stl city police, wrest control away from the city.

Last edited:
I haven't watched any TV today, but I did hear the hourly CBS news on the radio when I was out and about in my car this morning. They had a report about "mostly peaceful" protests around the country, but didn't say a word about wasn't peaceful. Any of you know what wasn't "mostly peaceful?"

Maybe figure out how this happened? There are 40 members of this SCORPION unit introduced in 2021. 1 out of 8 took part in this, that is a high percentage. Did it happen all 5 bad apples where together at one time? Or are there more bad apples? What screening was done? I linked an article with a guy who claimed he called a few times to report a couple of the members but no one returned his calls. So, was there accountability? Do there need to be improvements in how citizen reporting goes?

One cop doing something stupid is bad, but five makes it at least a little more likely there is a systemic problem at least in SCORPION if not beyond.

Right now the demand is too officially disband the unit, it has been paused. I think that is a driver with the protests. I don't know if the citizens will trust the remainder, disbanding makes sense. And the other members maybe need to do some retraining before rejoining the rest of the force. Either this was a strange but possible statistical anomaly that these 5 we're the only ones who thought this was ok, or the unit as a whole was operating fast and loose.
And rioting, looting, burning and violence is needed to investigate the unit?

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT