ADVERTISEMENT

Cignetti - I would think this guy would be at the top of the list for every P5 team that needs a coach.

Cignetti excites me…. NONE at all.

He has clearly won big at low levels. All good. So WHY has he never jumped into P5 before - he’s been around and winning a long time. Why NOW?
I don't understand this point. He was an assistant at Alabama, NC State and Pittsburgh for a total of 17 years. He has not been head coach in power 5 but 17 years as an assistant is pretty good training. He is 52-9 at James Madison.

I also like that he played quarterback at West Virginia and his main position of coaching has been quarterbacks so that is a positive.

I actually think I am beginning to hope this is who it is because we could do a lot worse. I don't know who he is most connected to but if liked them I could live with Frye or Hart possibly being the OC but whoever the coach is he needs people he wants to work with. Frye has a pretty good position at Ohio State.

Coaches have a shelf life of about 67. After that their success seems to decline rapidly probably because their desire to recruit declines. That would give him five good years. Indiana hasn't ever had five good years so if he executed that he's a home run. If he was 55, he'd probably be at Texas A&M right now so a school like Indiana has to make some compromises.

I don't understand this point. He was an assistant at Alabama, NC State and Pittsburgh for a total of 17 years. He has not been head coach in power 5 but 17 years as an assistant is pretty good training. He is 52-9 at James Madison.

I also like that he played quarterback at West Virginia and his main position of coaching has been quarterbacks so that is a positive.

I actually think I am beginning to hope this is who it is because we could do a lot worse. I don't know who he is most connected to but if liked them I could live with Frye or Hart possibly being the OC but whoever the coach is he needs people he wants to work with. Frye has a pretty good position at Ohio State.
Yeah this guys been around the block. Coached Rivers and Russell Wilson at NC State, was Alabama’s recruiting coordinator under Saban, and has been successful at multiple programs at multiple levels of college football. He’s 119-35 as a football coach…that’s impressive anywhere.

We are the one few jobs that he could get at his age. A 60 year old Willie Fritz would be a better choice
Chryst would be a better choice. He's still connected across the highest level of college Football and could put together a top level staff by tomorrow.

Coach Cignetti is a fine coach but anyone who thinks a 62-year-old is going to be candidate for and Cignetti is one of themthe opening at IU is not being realistic. Recruiting at IU is tough enough, but he would have an impossible task coming into a new program at this stage of his life. You can be sure that if Mr. Dolson has been doing his job, he has already reviewed candidates for the last few weeks and has it down to no more than 2-3.
And Cignetti is one of them

Reactions: JBT Assoc
Kids don't want to play for someone who could be their grandfather? I'm sure that's a concern some recruits have about Woodson as well.
I don’t think the head coach is as important as the assistants. It’s the assistants who actually interact most with the kids and need to have a great rapport with them. I think CTA may have been the exception to that rule.

Chryst would be a better choice. He's still connected across the highest level of college Football and could put together a top level staff by tomorrow.
Disagree, his success at Wisc was less than his predecessors

Disagree, his success at Wisc was less than his predecessors
Chuckle 🤣

Well his predecessor was Barry Alvarez so that's sort of a tough act to be compared against... (who went 1-0 as interm 😉)

But seriously: He was twice Big Ten Coach of the Year and won three Big Ten West titles so I'd say his record is slightly above average...

Anyone else we're interviewing have those accolades on their resume'?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Chuckle 🤣

Well his predecessor was Barry Alvarez so that's sort of a tough act to be compared against... (who went 1-0 as interm 😉)

He was twice Big Ten Coach of the Year and won three Big Ten West titles so I'd say his record is slightly above average...

Anyone else we're interviewing have those accolades on their resume'?
Wisconsin’s level of play dropped off towards the end because Chryst stopped recruiting and despised NIL. He walked into an almost impeccable situation at Wisconsin, one he had previously played and coached in. He won’t have that luxury in Bloomington. An uncharismatic statue on the sideline who doesn’t like to recruit sounds like an awful combination.

The key to qualifying or disqualifying Chryst would be to simply ask him what he has learned about FBS level Football since he was fired...

If the first thought to come out of his mouth wasn't concerning better recruiting techniques and the current world of NIL, along with what he'd seen and learned while at Texas concerning that very topic then you simply move onto the next guy...

If the supposed basketball coach is agint hm, I'm for em. - Chryst (the statue).

It would figure that he would bring most of his Staff with him, right!

Reactions: UncleMark
He's never been head coach at the P5 level, but he's been a roaring SUCCESS AT EVERY LEVEL he's coached. Reminds me a lot of Lance Liepold in that respect. I'd rather have a coach with a proven record of success at every level than some former P5 coach that's been fired somewhere else at sometime or an unproven assistant. And since he coached at Indiana University (Pennsylvania), it would be like a homecoming. jmusports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/curt-cignetti/2935
Looks like a good early call here. Bravo!

Let's hope he can pull together a great staff and hit the ground running.

Reactions: midwolfe
62 is probably tolerable if he's a good choice in other respects. But even if he's healthy, all kinds of stuff becomes more and more likely every year at that age. Heart attack, stroke, cancer, cognitive problems, overall energy level and stamina all go the wrong direction. There's a reason airline pilots have to retire at 65. A football coach doesn't have lives in his hands but he's a huge financial investment and you have to be coldly realistic about it.

To me, being 62 is a non-factor... I'm 70 and the majority of my friends are all still very active and working to some degree and staying in shape.

I really believe the saying.... 70 is the new 60.... or... 60 is the new 50... or... 50 is the new 40..... is true.

I'm convinced that not only me but the majority of my friends who are my age look, think and feel many years younger than the generations before us....

It's trending where more and more people who could retire don't .... and it's not because they have to work.... they WANT to because they're still very good at their game and they're enjoying it.

Cignetti seems to me to be that kind of person....I think he could easily go for another 10-12 years

... and spending 10 years coaching at the same school is like an eternity regardless of age.

Reactions: IUgradman
These guys are a bunch of youngsters!! 😁

Ranking Oldest College Football Coaches in 2023​

CoachTeamAge (Birthday)
Mack BrownNorth Carolina 72 (Aug. 27, 1951)
Nick SabanAlabama71 (Oct. 31, 1951)
Kirk FerentzIowa69 (Aug. 1, 1955)
Don BrownUMass68 (July 31, 1955)
Terry BowdenUL-Monroe67 (Feb. 25, 1956)
Craig BohlWyoming65 (July 27, 1958)
Rick StockstillMiddle Tennessee65 (Dec. 23, 1957)
Brady HokeSan Diego State64 (Nov. 3, 1958)
K.C. KeelerSam Houston64 (July 26, 1959)
Kyle Whittingham Utah63 (Nov. 21, 1959)
Willie FritzTulane63 (Apr. 2, 1960)
Biff PoggiCharlotte63 (June 6, 1960)

To me, being 62 is a non-factor... I'm 70 and the majority of my friends are all still very active and working to some degree and staying in shape.

I really believe the saying.... 70 is the new 60.... or... 60 is the new 50... or... 50 is the new 40..... is true.

I'm convinced that not only me but the majority of my friends who are my age look, think and feel many years younger than the generations before us....

It's trending where more and more people who could retire don't .... and it's not because they have to work.... they WANT to because they're still very good at their game and they're enjoying it.

Cignetti seems to me to be that kind of person....I think he could easily go for another 10-12 years

... and spending 10 years coaching at the same school is like an eternity regardless of age.

Hope so. I'm 57, in good shape, and I sure would not want to work that hard anymore. Sounds like a good hire in most other respects, so I'm on board with it. He's just not a guy who will be here more than 8-10 years (or less). But that's looking way down the road and we have immediate priorities that are more important.

that John Roberta post does T appear for me at Ywitter. It only shows one post in his history

So you don't think if a kid is recruited by several schools he's not hearing a lot of "low energy" and "old thinking" types of warnings if one of the schools has a coach in his 60s or older? And they all just ignore that? And we're not getting Saban.

Yes - they do hear any angle that opposing schools would put out there.
The kids at IU basketball probably heard that all the time about Woodson.

If he was 10 years younger, I would be all for it. Why does IU keep hiring coaches that are Social Security eligible? You are supposed to retire at 62! Bob Knight was 32 and Bill Mallory was 49 when they started at IU. DeBoer is 49.

In regards to him being 62…It is ”ideal”, not really but on the other hand since 1996 we have had 6 coaches and the number of seasons each have lasted has been 5, 3, 2, 4, 5 and 7. It would be great if he had a good 5-7 year run with a capable heir apparent on staff (and/or if he made this a more appealing job for coaches from other programs).

So you don't think if a kid is recruited by several schools he's not hearing a lot of "low energy" and "old thinking" types of warnings if one of the schools has a coach in his 60s or older? And they all just ignore that? And we're not getting Saban.
And if the coach is young they hear that he is inexperienced and has no NBA connections.

He's never been head coach at the P5 level, but he's been a roaring SUCCESS AT EVERY LEVEL he's coached. Reminds me a lot of Lance Liepold in that respect. I'd rather have a coach with a proven record of success at every level than some former P5 coach that's been fired somewhere else at sometime or an unproven assistant. And since he coached at Indiana University (Pennsylvania), it would be like a homecoming. jmusports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/curt-cignetti/2935
You win. Nice early call on this one!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT