ADVERTISEMENT

Catilyn Clark scored more point in her college career than Pete Maravich

but she did not break his record. dumbest thing I've ever heard. sick of seeing it on tv.
Maravich played when freshmen weren't allowed to play with the varsity and there were freshmen JV teams. His numbers were for three years, so maybe there should be an asterisk there. There is no denying she is one of the greatest women players to have played the game.

Maravich played when freshmen weren't allowed to play with the varsity and there were freshmen JV teams. His numbers were for three years, so maybe there should be an asterisk there. There is no denying she is one of the greatest women players to have played the game.
Maravich also played against men, there's no denying she couldn't play for the worst men's team.

Probably played significantly fewer games back then. Not sure if there was a 3 pt line either.
There was no three-point shot back then and also no shot clock. You see a lot of that in pro sports like the NFL where players are playing more games and rule changes have made offenses even more potent, and old records have been easily broken.

Reactions: kkott and kmathum
Does the comparison make you feel uncomfortable?

No one else has broken his record since, man or woman.

And she'll end her career with well over 1000 assists, and very possibly over 1000 rebounds as well.

If she were to somehow win a Natty this year, she should be in the conversation for the greatest college basketball player of all time...she probably should be already.

Maravich is one of a kind. And probably the most creative, and best pure scorer to ever live. But he did average over 38 shot attempts per game...and his teams weren't much above average at LSU. He's no where in Clark's league as an overall basketball player (relative to their competition levels).

If you take away the 3 point shot and give Clark the same number of FGA as Pete, then Clark comes out ahead.

And she'll end her career with well over 1000 assists, and very possibly over 1000 rebounds as well.

If she were to somehow win a Natty this year, she should be in the conversation for the greatest college basketball player of all time...she probably should be already.

Maravich is one of a kind. And probably the most creative, and best pure scorer to ever live. But he did average over 38 shot attempts per game...and his teams weren't much above average at LSU. He's no where in Clark's league as an overall basketball player (relative to their competition levels).
Shot attempts should.be part of the discussion. I would like to know how many more he took in his three yrs compared to her four years

Shot attempts should.be part of the discussion. I would like to know how many more he took in his three yrs compared to her four years
Looks like she's at 2593 total shot attempts

He finished with 3166 shot attempts

Not sure on the accuracy...but I read something on the interwebz that Dale Brown charted all of Maravich's shot attempts, and concluded he'd have made roughly 12 3's a game, and averaged 57 points per game.

83 games @ 57 per = 4731

Clarks current point per shot attempt = 1.42
Maravich without 3pt line was = 1.16
Maravich with Browns estimate with 3 pt line = 1.49

Similar...

She's won more...and averaged more assists and rebounds.

The record passed was strictly for points and not who was the better all-round player. Personally, I could care less as to who has the most points, etc. Maravich just played in a different era where the game was just different in a lot of ways and I'm going to leave it at that.

Reactions: kmathum

Not sure on the accuracy...but I read something on the interwebz that Dale Brown charted all of Maravich's shot attempts, and concluded he'd have made roughly 12 3's a game, and averaged 57 points per game.

83 games @ 57 per = 4731

Similar...

Wow, thx for looking that up.

83 games @ 57 per = 4731

Similar...

83 games @ 57 per = 4731

Similar...

Wow, thanks for looking that up

Reactions: MichaelRR
She holds the record for the most Flail & Flops.

PS. She could make a good living in Hollywood acting.
Yes, I’m going to continue to root against her and laugh when she whines. Then when she is picked by the Fever to play in Indy, I’ll have to work at transitioning to liking her. She isn’t a bad person, but right now she is hard to like.

yes, because it's not comparable like I said she couldn't play for the worst d1 men's team.

Nope, just a lot of people that have a problem with saying a girl has the D1 scoring record.

Are you ok with calling Caitlin the all-time Big Ten Scoring leader, surpassing Calbert Cheaney?
TBH, I never remember her being celebrated for passing Calbert. Men didn't come up until now.

TBH, I never remember her being celebrated for passing Calbert. Men didn't come up until now.
That’s all I’m hearing is comparing her to Pete Maravich, a man. And if she’s beat him then she’s beat Calbert. I don’t think it’s the right conversation and is comparing apples and oranges. We don’t mix other records, why this one?

Reactions: bIhawk
That’s all I’m hearing is comparing her to Pete Maravich, a man. And if she’s beat him then she’s beat Calbert. I don’t think it’s the right conversation and is comparing apples and oranges. We don’t mix other records, why this one?
Because this one happened now and the media has been dying for something like this to happen. They eat it up.

my dad kept the stats so maybe padded a bit, but I hit 27 inside the park home runs in tee ball in a 10-game season. say 7 of them probably involved some sort of an error. but if you extrapolate that out over a 162-game season, I should be recognized as the single season home run king, and no I wasn't on roids.
Tee ball? I'd say 7 of them DIDN'T involve an error. o

Maravich is top 75 all time NBA and scored like 44ppg in college, and also 24ppg in the NBA over 10 seasons.

Clark isn't really that close to what he achieved.

Let alone Lew Alcinder.

If we are talking great players, how about Oscar Robertson averaged more points per game in all 3 seasons than Clark ever has? And that doesn't include anything he did in the pros.

Clark is a helluva college player, but keep it in perspective. (Signed, Rebecca Lobo, 35-0).

This. It's like saying Babe played in 150 games and Sosa in 162 games steroids or not. That's 48 more opportunities to hit home runs. Babe might have had 70 in 162 games. Maravich played 3 years and less games, It is not like playing 4 years at 35-36 games a year today. I dislike when they won't equate this. She is the women's 4 year all time scorer. He is the mens' 3 year all time scorer. Plus I believe he averaged around 40+ points a game. She didn't.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
This. It's like saying Babe played in 150 games and Sosa in 162 games steroids or not. That's 48 more opportunities to hit home runs. Babe might have had 70 in 162 games. Maravich played 3 years and less games, It is not like playing 4 years at 35-36 games a year today. I dislike when they won't equate this. She is the women's 4 year all time scorer. He is the mens' 3 year all time scorer. Plus I believe he averaged around 40+ points a game. She didn't.
why is this even a discussion? she plays women's basketball, 2 totally different sports, trade her for CJ Gunn he would score 12k points at Iowa she might be taping ankles for IU.

Probably because she passed Calbert last year. As great as Calbert was, he would rank 8th on the all-time women's scoring list--that is why it did not come up when she passed him.

On a side note, Holmes is currently at 2476 points, just 137 behind Calbert, she would need about 7 games (current average is about 21) to have a shot to get there, so either making the BTT title game or the FF but it is within reach--and yes we know she has played 5 years and will end with about 20 extra games

I think I saw this on the ESPN 30 for 30 episode several yrs ago...Pete M was such a phenom, when his LSU frosh team would play (much like JV/Varsity in HS), the frosh team would play first and the gym would be filled to the rafters. When the Frosh game ended, half the gym would empty before the start of the 'varsity' game.

I think I saw this on the ESPN 30 for 30 episode several yrs ago...Pete M was such a phenom, when his LSU frosh team would play (much like JV/Varsity in HS), the frosh team would play first and the gym would be filled to the rafters. When the Frosh game ended, half the gym would empty before the start of the 'varsity' game.
said Lew Alcindor's freshman team regularly beat the varsity. who won the national title

she just signed a promotional deal with Gainbridge financial, almost seems like she's destined to end up with Fever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT