ADVERTISEMENT

Capitol in lockdown

Well, I never saw any of those discussions or reports of them. What I saw reported were stories about busloads of Antifa and blm.inc. false-flagging and infiltrating peace-loving patriots.

They reminded me of the summertime riots when my lib friends insisted that anarchists who weren't part of the protest were the ones responsible fornthe looting and fires. So I guess you have to take those kinds of "reports" with a grain of salt these days.

There's anarchists and violent idiots on both the far-left and far-right.

I don't take them and group them in with peaceful BLM supporters or peaceful Trump supporters, who both have every right to peacefully protest. Saying "all Trump supporters in DC were members of this group that stormed the capitol and are bad" is wrong, just like "all BLM protestors are Antifa, etc.".

I never said they hate you, those are your words. They pity you, all house moms should be pitied. Desperate spinsters clinging to youth by surrounding themselves with young women. Uterus dried up long ago, they’ve begun to resent men, I wouldn’t wish that existence on anyone.
Stop. You're out of line, HooDat.

You might want to take some time off voluntarily. I've done that several times when I've gotten too personal with other posters, and it's paid off.

Well, I never saw any of those discussions or reports of them. What I saw reported were stories about busloads of Antifa and blm.inc. false-flagging and infiltrating peace-loving patriots.

They reminded me of the summertime riots when my lib friends insisted that anarchists who weren't part of the protest were the ones responsible fornthe looting and fires. So I guess you have to take those kinds of "reports" with a grain of salt these days.
Here's an excerpt from a WaPo story on Tuesday. All the more reason the lack of preparedness at the Capitol is inexcusable.

Pro-Trump forums erupt with violent threats ahead of Wednesday’s rally against the 2020 election
Trump’s tweet last month pushing baseless fraud claims and promoting the “big protest” on Jan. 6 — “Be there, will be wild!” — has become a central rallying cry. It was the top post on thedonald.win Tuesday morning, and anonymous commenters saw it as a call to action: “We’ve got marching orders,” the top reply said.

Discussion in the thread followed about how most effectively to sneak guns into Washington, laced with occasional references to using them. D.C. has some of the nation’s strictest gun laws: Openly carrying guns is banned, concealed-carry licenses from other states aren’t recognized, and all firearms in the District must be registered with local police.

You should not be mentoring young women. You’re dangerously naive in your wanton careless race-baiting language and you have no right to confer said naïveté onto malleable young minds. Shame on you.
Beetle Bailey on a box.

Look, I'm not saying it isn't reasonable to discuss whether or not a black mob would be responded to differently than a white one. That's a very important avenue of discussion. But it isn't the only one. I think the "gentle" response to these terrorists is best explained the way officials explained it in the heat of the moment Wednesday: law enforcement was severely underprepared and outmanned, and simply didn't have the capability of putting things immediately in order.

But since then, there have been manhunts and a very intensive investigation. People are being arrested and charged. In another thread, someone joked about the father/son combo who deleted their Twitter accounts after being contacted by the FBI, but it's not a joke. That's the FBI doing its job. They got a tip that someone was bragging about being involved, and they immediately followed up. The son in that father/son combo will probably shortly be in custody, if he isn't already.

Officials have said they are actively investigating - especially in light of the apparent IEDs - a conspiracy. One even went so far as to imply that the President himself is a subject of the investigation.

These weekend warriors are going to learn the truth of Grant's words soon enough: "Now, the right of revolution is an inherent one. When people are oppressed by their government, it is a natural right they enjoy to relieve themselves of the oppression, if they are strong enough, either by withdrawal from it, or by overthrowing it and substituting a government more acceptable. But any people or part of a people who resort to this remedy, stake their lives, their property, and every claim for protection given by citizenship--on the issue. Victory, or the conditions imposed by the conqueror--must be the result."

And it won't be pleasant for them. But it also won't all happen immediately. Investigations take time to do properly. We need to let this play out, and not wring our hands over the fact that these people aren't all on the gallows by Saturday morning.
The most obvious explanation for the lax treatment by certain cops and planners is that they are Trumpers, that is, they have some affinity for the cause of the protesters. That has nothing necessarily to do with racist inclinations.

Oh I see you edited. I guess I’ll go with the parents of the hundreds of girls I spend time with , several of whom have told me I know more about their girls than they do. Have 8 girls from Parkland, including one who was shot whose parents are now close friends. But yeah, your insults are just devastating. Maybe you missed the video on NBC news last night of the officer gesturing them in. Or the officer giving directions to Chuck Schumer’s office. Your wanton disregard of blatant racism is pathetic. Yes, those officers were just unprepared.
In case you’re wondering, you needn’t defend yourself to Ranger. The poor guy’s been attacking several people here recently. Pray (think good thoughts) for him.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
it was a demonstration by a large gathering of folks with iqs hovering around 70. i don't believe anyone rational thinks this was a coup. a demonstration. not a coup
At best it was a riot.

More realistically, the expectations of those participating, and Trump's primary hope, was that it was a coup.

As it turned out, it was in no shape or manner a mere demonstration.

Reactions: Circlejoe
It was not a very effective plan if a coup was the intended outcome. A coup sounds dramatic. Words like sedition and insurrection are fun to throw around, too. Some idiots went too far and should pay the price. One was killed and 3 others died. Capitol security should be better prepared. But if our government was truly endangered by a band of clowns who ran around the building, we have bigger problems than anything that occurred on Jan 6.

I think you guys are missing the point when you look only at the Trump mob. You have to view the words and actions of Trump, Cruz, Hawley, and the Sedition Caucus to evaluate what this was. What if more of the mob had been armed and killed Senators and Congressmen? Could we call it a coup or sedition or insurrection then?

Reactions: iuwclurker
The most obvious explanation for the lax treatment by certain cops and planners is that they are Trumpers, that is, they have some affinity for the cause of the protesters. That has nothing necessarily to do with racist inclinations.

I think that contributes, race contributes, and the presence of their off-duty coworkers in the mob probably contributed too:

ErLGBpyXYAIgeG1.jpg

Reactions: UncleMark
I think you guys are missing the point when you look only at the Trump mob. You have to view the words and actions of Trump, Cruz, Hawley, and the Sedition Caucus to evaluate what this was. What if more of the mob had been armed and killed Senators and Congressmen? Could we call it a coup or sedition or insurrection then?
That’s the point though. They didn’t have all that. They were a bunch of goofballs who ran to the capitol on half a lark and took selfies. They weren’t organized. Three were so pumped they croaked. The most dangerous thing that could have transpired is an isolated nut with a weapon killing someone. But all that’s a far cry from a coup. This parade of clowns lacked the capacity.

As for our gov officials. I find their words and actions far more troubling given their “leadership” roles

Reactions: HillzHoozier
That’s the point though. They didn’t have all that. They were a bunch of goofballs who ran to the capitol on half a lark and took selfies. They weren’t organized. Three were so pumped they croaked. The most dangerous thing that could have transpired is an isolated nut with a weapon killing someone. But all that’s a far cry from a coup. This parade of clowns lacked the capacity.

As for our gov officials. I find their words and actions far more troubling given their “leadership” roles
An attempted Clown Coup is still an attempted coup.
images

Trump really really really wanted a coup. Fortunately for us, Y’all-qaeda wasn’t up for the task. That, to me, doesn’t get Trump or the Congressional arsonists off the hook. Especially with 5 dead and a cop murdered by getting his head bashed in.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

Like "ignorance of the law", lack of competence is no excuse. At least, that's what I tell people on their last day.

Trump really really really wanted a coup. Fortunately for us, Y’all-qaeda wasn’t up for the task. That, to me, doesn’t get Trump or the Congressional arsonists off the hook. Especially with 5 dead and a cop murdered by getting his head bashed in.
3 were fat guy heart attacks. And I guess if you wanted to color disruption of the certification a coup I can buy that

3 were fat guy heart attacks. And I guess if you wanted to color disruption of the certification a coup I can buy that
Are verfied pipe bombs present, and Molotov cocktail materials also on site, at all persuasive that this was a bit more than a hillybilly hoedown?

Are verfied pipe bombs present, and Molotov cocktail materials also on site, at all persuasive that this was a bit more than a hillybilly hoedown?
i don't know nor do you. all we have are the facts. they didn't show up at the capitol. where they showed up to hear a speech wasn't where a coup would occur. they didn't have loads of weapons to overthrow anything. trump told them to walk down to the capitol. had that been their plan? was that their intent prior to trump's speech? i don't know. just because the news wants to call something a coup doesn't mean that it's so. from what i saw it looked like a bunch of hillbilly whackos going to a demonstration to stir some shit up. they didn't stay and fight all night did they? i haven't seen ongoing efforts to overthrow the gov. have you? i haven't heard there's more destruction today? have you? are they still there fighting? rioting? most of them looked shocked to be inside. like they were pranksters that pulled one off. taking pics and vids with cops.

imo this was a very scary, reckless, dangerous event. but not a coup.

Last edited:
Intent is the issue. I’m not necessarily certain a coup was their intent
yeah, i'm relatively certain these folks prior life decisions aren't really indicative of highly developed planningskills. However, like parties I went to at IU, while my intention was to get drunk I was still responsible for whatever other dumb shit I did.

I think that contributes, race contributes, and the presence of their off-duty coworkers in the mob probably contributed too:

ErLGBpyXYAIgeG1.jpg
If off duty police were involved in that mob I expect that the harshest sentences are given to them.

i don't know nor do you. all we have are the facts. they didn't show up at the capitol. where they showed up to hear a speech wasn't where a coup would occur. they didn't have loads of weapons to overthrow anything. trump told them to walk down to the capitol. had that been their plan? was that their intent prior to trump's speech? i don't know. just because the news wants to call something a coup doesn't mean that it's so. from what i saw it looked like a bunch of hillbilly whackos going to a demonstration to stir some shit up. they didn't stay and fight all night did they? i haven't seen ongoing efforts to overthrow the gov. have you? i haven't heard there's more destruction today? have you? are they still there fighting? rioting? most of them looked shocked to be inside. like they were pranksters that pulled one off. taking pics and vids with cops.

imo this was a very scary, reckless, dangerous event. but not a coup.
An ATL sports talk jockey - a guy whose name you might recognize from playing in the NFL - was asking "what was their end game here? Did they think they were going to overthrow the government? Did they think Trump was going to be in office for 4 more years because of what they were doing?"

My sense is that some of these are folks for some reason believe that Trump is a savior. For others, they've seen the "elite" live a certain way without understanding it - without understanding the personal discipline that the role requires - and just wanted to feel what it might be like to have power, kind of like a kid trying on an adult's clothes and fantasizing that they're in charge for a change. Others just like being out of control . . . "you're not the boss of me!"

All in all, it was far more sad than scary . . . this whole administration has been.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa

There was reportedly a core group of known right-wing radicals associated with the usual suspect groups (eg, Proud Boys, 3 Percenters) that apparently have been identified and may be central to building a conspiracy and/or sedition case. There are serious charges brewing for some of these folks.

An ATL sports talk jockey - a guy whose name you might recognize from playing in the NFL - was asking "what was their end game here? Did they think they were going to overthrow the government? Did they think Trump was going to be in office for 4 more years because of what they were doing?"

My sense is that some of these are folks for some reason believe that Trump is a savior. For others, they've seen the "elite" live a certain way without understanding it - without understanding the personal discipline that the role requires - and just wanted to feel what it might be like to have power, kind of like a kid trying on an adult's clothes and fantasizing that they're in charge for a change. Others just like being out of control . . . "you're not the boss of me!"

All in all, it was far more sad than scary . . . this whole administration has been.
Totally agree. And that was evidenced by taking selfies in the offices etc. it was sad.

Many coups fail due to poor planning or bad luck. Everyone in the crowd wanted Trump to win. The only question is how far they were willing to go toward that aim. The fact that there was no clear path doesn't change their goal was to change the outcome of the election.

Totally agree. And that was evidenced by taking selfies in the offices etc. it was sad.
I think you're characterization of these guys as goofballs is spot on . . . for a good many of them, like the guy from Arkansas who sat in Pelosi's chair . . . and left a quarter because he got blood on an envelope and didn't want to be considered a thief. I read that and thought of my cousin in the Bootheel.

Others really want to bring down the government . . . because it's a government, I guess. That's not acceptable in an organized society with a complex economy like we have . . . those guys need to be taken out of circulation and to a place where their guards don't agree with them . . . which might be tough with law enforcement and military types who fit with them more than they fit with the rest of us.

If off duty police were involved in that mob I expect that the harshest sentences are given to them.

Do you? That should be the case and I hope it is. It's an opportunity to restore some faith that our law enforcement is held to account.

Do you? That should be the case and I hope it is. It's an opportunity to restore some faith that our law enforcement is held to account.
Why would you start that with “Do you?”

I think you're characterization of these guys as goofballs is spot on . . . for a good many of them, like the guy from Arkansas who sat in Pelosi's chair . . . and left a quarter because he got blood on an envelope and didn't want to be considered a thief. I read that and thought of my cousin in the Bootheel.

Others really want to bring down the government . . . because it's a government, I guess. That's not acceptable in an organized society with a complex economy like we have . . . those guys need to be taken out of circulation and to a place where their guards don't agree with them . . . which might be tough with law enforcement and military types who fit with them more than they fit with the rest of us.
lol the bootheel. but right! we know these people. hell we're related to them. see them at christmas. as for law enforcement and taking them out i guess that will be tricky. will have to identify their social media and stuff to separate those guilty of sedition etc and those guilty of trespass, property destruction, mayhem etc. at any rate, sad times. Hopefully the heeling begins soon. I’m ready to cancel my 7 day free trial on 2021

Last edited:
Why would you start that with “Do you?”

I believe you think that should happen. You used the word expect, I'm asking if you think that it will happen. The relationship between prosecutors and police is pretty broken and has led to not holding police accountable in a lot of situations, personally I'm not holding my breath that it'll happen here. I really hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: UncleMark
I believe you think that should happen. You used the word expect, I'm asking if you think that it will happen. The relationship between prosecutors and police is pretty broken and has led to not holding police accountable in a lot of situations, personally I'm not holding my breath that it'll happen here. I really hope I'm wrong.
Yeah I mean I don’t know what will happen as I’m no expert. But I’d like to think that cops who are found guilty of breaking the law in ways using their power as a cop are prosecuted harshly.

Looks like all the main idiots bragging about it on social media/to cameras are gradually getting arrested.

NBC News said:
Richard Barnett, 60, of Gravette, Arkansas, was taken into custody in his home state on charges of entering and remaining on restricted grounds, violent entry and theft of public property, according to a Department of Justice official. Further details were not immediately available.

Yeah I mean I don’t know what will happen as I’m no expert. But I’d like to think that cops who are found guilty of breaking the law in ways using their power as a cop are prosecuted harshly.

Agreed. Apologies if my frustration at that not happening historically came across as frustration with you, certainly wasn't intending to imply you didn't think they deserved to be held accountable.

Looks like all the main idiots bragging about it on social media/to cameras are gradually getting arrested.
Barnett is the goofball I was talking about in my prior post - he's the guy who sat in Pelosi's chair.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT