ADVERTISEMENT

Can Izzo survive the ESPN report

If Betsy DeVos is as ignorant and incompetent at conducting an investigation as she is at the rest of her job, MSU has nothing to worry about. Donating money her daddy and husband earned is the woman's only life-skill.

I don't think much of her either, but didn't feel like we needed to potentially derail the post with political stuff. Fortunately, I presume that she has underlings who investigate these matters. The only concern I have is whether she can be used as part of the fix, if the fix is indeed in. I tend to suspect that she can be, but that doesn't mean the fix is in. She, of course, has already promised a full investigation, regardless of her connections to the university.

Izzo will deny to the end, much like Pitino. But may not survive. Dane Fife may be seeing his career job at MSU go down the toilet.

There was a time when "Federal Agency investigating" was reassuring in knowing it would be a legitimate, thorough and honest investigation. I'm not so sure that is a given anymore in this political climate of unrest and mistrust. The FBI isn't what it used to be, or so it seems.
Are you referring to anything remotely based in reality, or the president whining about a conspiracy when a DOJ and FBI led by his own appointees (mostly republican) actually try to do their jobs?

And yeah, if you’re going to bring this crap up, I’m going to throw it right back in your face. You’re suggesting that we can’t trust the highest law enforcement agencies, but we can trust...Donald Trump?

(This is not a left vs right thing: this is a buffoon vs longtime, respected professional thing, who again, are mostly republican and actually chosen by aforementioned buffoon. Said buffoon has been a lying buffoon as both an R and a D.)

Are you referring to anything remotely based in reality, or the president whining about a conspiracy when a DOJ and FBI led by his own appointees (mostly republican) actually try to do their jobs?

And yeah, if you’re going to bring this crap up, I’m going to throw it right back in your face. You’re suggesting that we can’t trust the highest law enforcement agencies, but we can trust...Donald Trump?

(This is not a left vs right thing: this is a buffoon vs longtime, respected professional thing, who again, are mostly republican and actually chosen by aforementioned buffoon. Said buffoon has been a lying buffoon as both an R and a D.)
The average citizen, to which I am a card carrying member, has no idea what goes on behind closed doors at any level. Something I learned in Practice Management 101 is this...when someone is angry and yelling at you, they want you to get mad, too, and argue back. It disarms them when you just nob your head, as if agreeing and don't buy into their anger like they expect. It drives them crazy and defuses them every time. That said, now have a good day because it is February, the first day of the month and the shortest month of the year, which makes it kinda cool.

In keeping things more on topic, I'm already looking forward to the Michigan State game, albeit in a sadistic sort of way. Saturday night and IU basketball-life doesn't get much better than that, win or lose. You can see I'm an easy man to please.

Reactions: 76-1

Izzo will cry a lot they will give him i pass hope so i like Izzo he a great coach! LOL

There was a time when "Federal Agency investigating" was reassuring in knowing it would be a legitimate, thorough and honest investigation. I'm not so sure that is a given anymore in this political climate of unrest and mistrust. The FBI isn't what it used to be, or so it seems.

Lol. This is from the fascist playbook. First you convince people their media and institutions are against them...

Appreciate the kind words and the history lesson but I am not younger than 30. I grew up watching IU during the Corso and Knight eras. Been to pretty much every bowl game and countless NCAA games as a byproduct of parents who were alums and big supporters of both major sports.
Knight pretty much owned Jud and apart from the 79 season when they had Magic, Jud was second fiddle.
However there were some glaring mistakes by IU administration in the early 90s that put us where we are today.
Take Wisconsin, for example. They found footballl success and then up pops the Kohl Center and two good coaching hires in Bennett and Ryan and suddenly the tables were turned. IU opted to put everything on cruise control, hoping to ride previous basketball success and others began to catch up and then surpass IU while making investment in facilities.

I’m not so sure that IU is a better job than MSU in the present day. I mean, after Davis, we had a prime opportunity to go after a big name and we bring in Sampson. Maybe politics were involved but at least some turned us down. Why couldn’t IU draw a big name then? The dynamics of the conference have changed greatly. I think in the minds of IU faithful they confuse passion or hysteria for hoops with results. And the results have not been good overall going on 2 decades.
I’m not here to argue that IU won’t recover. IU has averaged 5th place finishes over the span of 20+ years, so the rebuild will take longer than most would like.
MSU has 7 F4 appearances under Izzo. They are established more than people like to think. This won’t decimate them. Sure, a few down years may follow but they will be back right on top with a semi-competent hire.
Wisconsin - too early to tell with Gard but my bet is they don’t wither away and we still can’t beat them.
We’ll have to just disagree that MSU is not on solid footing or IU is a 10x better job. They sell out their arena too. Their fans are passionate too. It’s not like IU has some “copywrite” on basketball enthusiasm.
If Archie doesn’t have IU in the NCAAs in 3 years, the natives will be getting very, very restless. And I like him....but he cannot take 5 years to rebuild this thing.
Sampson was hired due to pressure from the university president as I recall.

well said ...

The scumbag watched TJD tonight. I hope the kid’s police chief stepfather keeps him away from that sexual abuse enabler.

Right, because FBI surveillance based upon opposition research from your political opponent is just standard practice. He needs to suck it up.

Does anyone have a single shred of evidence that Izzo mishandled anything?

Haven’t seen one yet.

Does anyone have a single shred of evidence that Izzo mishandled anything?

Haven’t seen one yet.

It depends what is found out about the rape with Walton and the 2 unnamed basketball players. If it is true that the AD was notified and it was not reported and Izzo knew as well (Walton was living with Izzo), they are in deep sh**. As in go to jail sh**.

The bar fight means nothing.

And even the Appling/Payne thing means nothing IF it is found out that the AD and Izzo didn’t know about it. That is was 100% in the police. If they did know about it and did nothing or tried to cover it up, again, they are in deep sh**.

And if you think the media is going to let this die (wrong or not), think again.

Spartan JD, spoken like a true lawyer. Thanks, but you will have a very hard time convincing anyone (at least who isn't drinking green and white kool-aid) that Izzo didn't mishandle Payne and Appling after their freshman dorm orientation night. How many games did either miss their freshman year? We all know that answer.

And spare us the "but, but they weren't even charged" refrain coming from Spartan camp to now try and shirk responsibility. Within days of the incident those 2 were moved out of that dorm to protect them and the basketball program, way more than the accuser.

Hollis, Izzo, campus police, the DA all mishandled it.

Reactions: Sassy61 and 76-1
IndianaHoops, do you honestly think Hollis and Izzo could be kept in the dark by police about the Appling/Payne incident??

Again, the 2 players were moved out of the dorm days later. Do you think Izzo and Hollis didn't know why? They are two of the most powerful people on campus. Or, once the delayed Title IX investigation of the incident finally started, the AD and coach weren't aware?

Izzo, Hollis, Dantonio, Simon can all hide behind plausible deniability in their attempt to deflect their responsibility. They must have really thought they could bury this with incomprehensible/redacted police reports AND TWICE appealing the Freedom of Information Act ruling that ESPN used to get at the reports. It's very clear they were aware what took place.

Reactions: 76-1 and Sassy61
Right, because FBI surveillance based upon opposition research from your political opponent is just standard practice. He needs to suck it up.

The warrant wasn’t solely based on the dossier and the fact that Republicans and then Hillary supporters funded the research doesn’t make the information it produced invalid. The FISA judges were aware the dossier was a political document. There was no deception.

Spartan JD, spoken like a true lawyer. Thanks, but you will have a very hard time convincing anyone (at least who isn't drinking green and white kool-aid) that Izzo didn't mishandle Payne and Appling after their freshman dorm orientation night. How many games did either miss their freshman year? We all know that answer.

And spare us the "but, but they weren't even charged" refrain coming from Spartan camp to now try and shirk responsibility. Within days of the incident those 2 were moved out of that dorm to protect them and the basketball program, way more than the accuser.

Hollis, Izzo, campus police, the DA all mishandled it.

That didn't just mishandle it, they buried it...

The ESPN report is not pretty for Izzo. Several sexual assault cover ups etc. I always thought he was better than this.
He will survive it. That scumbag molester school should be torn apart completely from an athletics perspective. But it won’t happen.

Reactions: IUgradman
Molest State University needs to lose some coaches that covered up thsee many atrocities against student athletes.

IndianaHoops, do you honestly think Hollis and Izzo could be kept in the dark by police about the Appling/Payne incident??

Again, the 2 players were moved out of the dorm days later. Do you think Izzo and Hollis didn't know why? They are two of the most powerful people on campus. Or, once the delayed Title IX investigation of the incident finally started, the AD and coach weren't aware?

Izzo, Hollis, Dantonio, Simon can all hide behind plausible deniability in their attempt to deflect their responsibility. They must have really thought they could bury this with incomprehensible/redacted police reports AND TWICE appealing the Freedom of Information Act ruling that ESPN used to get at the reports. It's very clear they were aware what took place.

I agree. They knew and covered it up.

The AD and president quit for a reason.....

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Izzo will deny even though the evidence says otherwise. MSU new AD will be forced to make a decision whether to fire Izzo or explain why abd how these allegations happened. Izzo should be toast.

Izzo will deny even though the evidence says otherwise. MSU new AD will be forced to make a decision whether to fire Izzo or explain why abd how these allegations happened. Izzo should be toast.

I expect the tradition to continue at M$U: denie, deflect, put the "fix" in on the investigative process and continue on with the same two phonies left in charge of football and basketball (Dantonio & Izzo ) as long as they continue to win and make $... Hope I'm wrong.

Now the wild card could/would be if their sponsors pull their advertising $ and that would be a great twist on things (one insurance company already did and those loveable, wacky M$U fans are trying to boycott that company)...

I think there was another thread back there somewhere that covered this topic in depth.

Bottom line: the NCAA, the Big Ten, and most importantly the half the state of Michigan and most of those in positions of power at M$U have no interest, or intention, of dumping their two sacred cash cows: Dantonio and Izzo...

All you have to do is take a close look at who's doing the phony "investigating" up at M$U... Those two will be there until they decide to retire... Sad, if you ask me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT