ADVERTISEMENT

Can Izzo survive the ESPN report

This confirms that the stars are in magical alignment for Purdue. The one team predicted to possibly keep PU from moving 2 ahead of us in all time BT championships (regular season) now has some major mental distractions. It's all playing into their favor this year, or so it seems at this point. Barring any major injuries, I don't see them losing too many more.

The ESPN report is not pretty for Izzo. Several sexual assault cover ups etc. I always thought he was better than this.
Any sexual assault at MSU is going to be magnified now, and it is never good, anyways. Izzo recently gave a statement supporting their President that recently stepped down: I cringed when I heard that.

When did the Big Ten become the conference of pedophiles, rapists, and their enablers? Beyond sick of this and reading statements from the Big Ten apologizing for this crap.

Last edited:
From what I've been able to find MSU basketball is only involved because of the Payne-Appling rape accusation story, and the grad assistant decking the woman at a bar. These are both well known stories, especially the Payne-Appling one.

It sure won't bother me if Izzo and MSU take an ugly fall, but it's interesting that people are outraged only now, after 7 or 8 years and an ESPN story. I'm seeing some people tack the 35 or so football accusations onto basketball as well, but unless I'm missing something (and I could be) basketball is limited to the two I've mentioned.

Are people saying that Izzo enabled the gymnast guy or is it these old cases gaining fresh importance due to the gymnast guy? I've only peered into this development this morning so any clarification as to how Izzo and MSU basketball are implicated would be appreciated.
If they ever brought all coaches/leaders together to discuss Nassar and sex related crimes in general to develop “protocol” and no one sounded the horn, then they’re all going down eventually. If they can prove that people knew about it and let that scumbag continue to practice while looking the other way then they’re in trouble. This isn’t going away and the Feds are involved.

Reactions: mazz
Izzo knew Payne and Appling sexually assaulted a girl and they didn’t sit out one game.

You support who you want.....
So they were charged with rape or just accused? And you say Izzo knew as if you told him yourself. Where is the story of him knowing they raped a gal and he looked the other way?

Izzo and Dantonio are “The Untouchables.” Not a thing happens and their programs will continue to thrive for years to come. Hollis has already fallen on the sword for them. They are seen as heroes and nothing will come of this.

So they were charged with rape or just accused? And you say Izzo knew as if you told him yourself. Where is the story of him knowing they raped a gal and he looked the other way?

You need to read the OTL article again.

A police report was filed, the basketball staff was informed, and it was handled “internally”. And by “handled”, nothing happened. Payne basically admitted they raped her in the police report.

I don’t know how Izzo didn’t know if it was handled “internally”.

This incident has been know for years by a lot of people.

Izzo and Dantonio are “The Untouchables.” Not a thing happens and their programs will continue to thrive for years to come. Hollis has already fallen on the sword for them. They are seen as heroes and nothing will come of this.

Funny, the protests all over the MSU campus don’t seem to be for “heroes”.

A police report was filed, the basketball staff was informed, and it was handled “internally”. And by “handled”, nothing happened. Payne basically admitted they raped her in the police report.

Don't think for a second i am defending TI i just have not followed the program or seen anyone else mention it. We see people talk about the Alford rape thing all the time and i have never seen anyone here bad mouth Izzo until this all blew up. He always seems like a no BS coach and the program seems to be run like a BK program(i guess there was the sit back and enjoy it comment). If he knew it and looked the other way he needs to be shown the door asap. Just looks like a lot of piling on without many facts yet.

Don't think for a second i am defending TI i just have not followed the program or seen anyone else mention it. We see people talk about the Alford rape thing all the time and i have never seen anyone here bad mouth Izzo until this all blew up. He always seems like a no BS coach and the program seems to be run like a BK program. If he knew it and looked the other way he needs to be shown the door asap. Just looks like a lot of piling on without many facts yet.

The real question is why now? It happened almost 10 years ago. If it’s just because of the Nassar thing, that’s BS too.

The real question is why now? It happened almost 10 years ago. If it’s just because of the Nassar thing, that’s BS too.

Seemed to me when this thread started most of the holier than thou comments were more from jealousy than facts. If the Izzo issue is from 10 years ago he will go no where. If more comes out he may well be gone. Those 10 year old cases have played out in the open whether you agree with the punishment is open for debate. No?

Seemed to me when this thread started most of the holier than thou comments were more from jealousy than facts. If the Izzo issue is from 10 years ago he will go no where. If more comes out he may well be gone. Those 10 year old cases have played out in the open whether you agree with the punishment is open for debate. No?

Yes, they have played out, but the pressure from the media wasn’t there previously.

This thing will be on ESPN for months, it’s not blowing over.

The President and AD quit, but that hasn’t stopped the media from piling on.

And the FEDs are involved this time around....

If Izzo stays, this black eye will be there and it will be hard to avoid. He will be asked about after every game for the rest of the season. How long does he deal with this?

And that’s if the new AD and President at MSU does nothing.....and you better believe they will do something.

I think Izzo days are numbered. I think he retires in the next 1-3 years....the current situation just accelerated his retirement.

Reactions: mazz and pdtkkg
Funny, the protests all over the MSU campus don’t seem to be for “heroes”.

Like it or not, those protests are not attended by any of the 70,000 people who go to Spartan Stadium or the 16,000+ going to Breslin. Those are who pays the bills.

Money talks and that’s just how it is.

Like it or not, those protests are not attended by any of the 70,000 people who go to Spartan Stadium or the 16,000+ going to Breslin. Those are who pays the bills.

huh, the president probably didn't know anything and still had to quit. money talks until it runs into something like this. PR is a big deal for schools.

Don't think for a second i am defending TI i just have not followed the program or seen anyone else mention it. We see people talk about the Alford rape thing all the time and i have never seen anyone here bad mouth Izzo until this all blew up. He always seems like a no BS coach and the program seems to be run like a BK program(i guess there was the sit back and enjoy it comment). If he knew it and looked the other way he needs to be shown the door asap. Just looks like a lot of piling on without many facts yet.
He's a fake good guy.

Then why did the AD and President quit?

ESPN sees blood in the water....do you think they stop bringing it up next week? Next month? Next year?

ESPN sees blood in the water....do you think they stop bringing it up next week? Next month? Next year?

I think ESPN is coming hard to make up for the fact that they didn't make a big deal out of the Appling-Payne incident back when it first happened. The story was on many message boards including this one, but it was quickly dropped when the players weren't charged.

Either ESPN or BTN even did a piece on Payne and his relationship with a cancer stricken child. I'm a bit of a cynic, but I always believed that Payne was trying to rehab his image using little Lacey. Hopefully it was legit, but it was strange watching the puff piece knowing the rape story from a couple of years before.

I saw that Payne was released by his NBA team today as if they were unaware of the story until the ESPN piece yesterday... total BS... we live in a strange world.

Either ESPN or BTN even did a piece on Payne and his relationship with a cancer stricken child. I'm a bit of a cynic, but I always believed that Payne was trying to rehab his image using little Lacey.
It was a segment on multiple episodes of BTN's The Journey.

Either ESPN or BTN even did a piece on Payne and his relationship with a cancer stricken child. I'm a bit of a cynic, but I always believed that Payne was trying to rehab his image using little Lacey.
It was a segment on multiple episodes of BTN's The Journey.
CBS had segments during March madness also.. Payne is a POS

The coaches won’t be impacted. The fall guys have already fallen on their swords. The veteran coaches and their teams will see no impact. Recruits will still line up to play there, both programs will continue to see high levels of success and continue to sell out their venues. Any negative “PR” will have minimal impact. It always does for successful programs.

Some have asked why is a ten year old case a big deal now with Izzo...well to me it's because we now have the actual details of it.

Maybe I was out if the loop but the ''rape" case from my perspective was a lot of internet innuendo. The players weren't charged and so fans naturaisaid it was a witch hunt. I heard of it...but it was akin to allegations of paying for Brenden Dawson that Purdue fans swear up and down happened.

Or allegations of Vanderbilt paying for this recruiting class that they have.

It was just internet accusations.

Turns out it wasn't..it was very real and from multiple women.

The program in retrospect was able to handle it, keep it under wraps and squash it so the players could play and the program didn't look bad.

Now that there is truth to the ugly story and it's amplified with all the other...it paints a picture of systematic cover ups at Molestation State University.

Anyone who is part of the cover up should be shredded publicly. Absolutely shredded.

You say that while it's already been mentioned in the thread and others that it's all over ESPN.

Why were they all released by the NBA machine if there's nothing to it? Riddle me that batman? Maybe they know more than you or I, but why bury your head in the sand when ESPN is even calling Izzo out?

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyCracker
I doubt anything happens to Izzo but I think Dantonio is gone. BTW didn't the Penn State sexual abuse cases go back several years / well over 10 years???? I don't buy the "this was 10 years ago" argument

I doubt anything happens to Izzo but I think Dantonio is gone. BTW didn't the Penn State sexual abuse cases go back several years / well over 10 years???? I don't buy the "this was 10 years ago" argument
wasn't the Payne/Appling tag team case just 4 years ago? I also believed the Payne / Lacey friendship story was an MSU publicity piece, trying to minimize Payne's past. The child was a sweetie, but I do not buy Payne at all.

Reactions: 76-1 and mazz
Don't think for a second i am defending TI i just have not followed the program or seen anyone else mention it. We see people talk about the Alford rape thing all the time and i have never seen anyone here bad mouth Izzo until this all blew up. He always seems like a no BS coach and the program seems to be run like a BK program

Exactly how I felt about Paterno until it all blew up.

wasn't the Payne/Appling tag team case just 4 years ago? I also believed the Payne / Lacey friendship story was an MSU publicity piece, trying to minimize Payne's past. The child was a sweetie, but I do not buy Payne at all.
Deadspin piece on the Appling and Payne rape from 2010:

https://deadspin.com/5651355/sexual...state-players-why-arent-charges-being-brought

Sexual Assault Allegations Against Two Michigan State Players: Why Aren't Charges Being Brought?
Barry Petchesky9/29/10 4:05pm
17iskwj5227uijpg.jpg

Two MSU players were accused of sexually assaulting a woman on campus in August. Despite a police recommendation to prosecute, and one of the accused players later corroborating the victim's account, the prosecutor's office will not be pursuing the case.

The two players have not and will not be named, as long as they aren't charged with any crime. And it doesn't look like they ever will be, despite what looks to our untrained eyes like plenty of evidence to go forward.

The woman met the two at a dorm orientation meeting, she says in the police report. After a few drinks she returned to the players' room.

Once in the room, the three started playing basketball using a mini-hoop. When the victim missed a basket, one of the men told her she had to remove an article of clothing. The victim agreed and removed her t-shirt because she had a tank top on underneath.

At this point, the victim says, the players began to deliberately miss baskets until they were stripped "completely naked." One of the men allegedly blocked the doorway to the room, while the other "cornered" the victim in the room.

"[The victim] explained to [detectives] that the body language of [the players] suggested she was not free to leave," the report says. "[Redacted] was blocking any escape path to the exit of the dorm room. [The victim] stated that after [redacted] approached the door he turned the lights in the room off and the room went completely dark. At this point, the sexual assault began."

The victim told police the players penetrated her in various positions. The victim told detectives the players allegedly asked her "how does that feel?" and "how do you want it?" The victim says she told the players she didn't want it and gave "other indicators she was not a willing participant."

The victim told police that the players pinned her down, but at one point she freed her arms momentarily and struck one of the players in the face. The player was on top of her and in response to her hitting him, he allegedly said, "Don't. Just relax. C'mon," as he continued to assault her, the report says.

According to the Ingham County Prosecutor, charging a case like this "requires the element of force and/or coercion," and of the prosecutors who reviewed it, "none could find any of these necessary elements." It's almost like they didn't read the police report.

It gets worse: the MSU Police Department asked for and were granted a search warrant, and removed DNA evidence, clothing and used condoms from the players' room. They also interviewed one of the players (the other declined to speak).

He told investigators that when it was clear from the victim's statements that she did not want to have sex, he stopped. However, the other player continued "despite her reluctance and statements that she did not want to continue."

After all this, MSU Police forwarded their report to the prosecutor's office with a recommendation that the two players be charged with Criminal Sexual Conduct 1, the most serious level of assault.

Prosecutors say the decision not to bring charges was a mutual one, made with the victim's agreement. She denies this, though she admits to being wary of the backlash that inevitably hits anyone accusing athletes of sexual assault.

I worry about what would happen if it didn't go through and having to deal with all the publicity and everything that goes with pursuing charges," she said. "But also I am angry. It's just that everybody looks at them as heroes and they're so excited for basketball season that [the players] get off without anybody caring. They haven't even been punished."

Maybe not in a courtroom. But it's a matter of time before the rumor mill, the media, and public opinion put everyone involved through the wringer.

The coaches won’t be impacted. The fall guys have already fallen on their swords. The veteran coaches and their teams will see no impact. Recruits will still line up to play there, both programs will continue to see high levels of success and continue to sell out their venues. Any negative “PR” will have minimal impact. It always does for successful programs.

I beg to differ , Louisville lost its President, Ad and head coach with two staff memebers over strippers in a dorm and a 100k to the Bowan kid. Not mention a vacated national title. If you think it stops with Mich St AD I got a bridge to sell ya.

I beg to differ , Louisville lost its President, Ad and head coach with two staff memebers over strippers in a dorm and a 100k to the Bowan kid. Not mention a vacated national title. If you think it stops with Mich St AD I got a bridge to sell ya.

Coaches don’t lose jobs over players’ sexual misconduct. They do lose jobs when money changes hands, which was Pitino’s downfall.

Reactions: UncleMark

You are wrong if you don’t think this impacts the perception of Izzo. It absolutely does....

“Minimal Impact”? Izzo will be asked if he is going to retire for the rest of the season. You don’t think opposing student sections won’t bring this up? You don’t think staffs recruiting against Izzo won’t bring this up? You think parents of recruits want their kids associated to this program now?

Time will tell, but I guarantee it will be more than “minimal impact”...

You are wrong if you don’t think this impacts the perception of Izzo. It absolutely does....

“Minimal Impact”? Izzo will be asked if he is going to retire for the rest of the season. You don’t think opposing student sections won’t bring this up? You don’t think staffs recruiting against Izzo won’t bring this up? You think parents of recruits want their kids associated to this program now?

Time will tell, but I guarantee it will be more than “minimal impact”...

MSU will hunker down, continue to get elite recruits, sell out their venues, have high level success despite everything you just said.

You really think that student section chants and a little bit of bad publicity is going to impact a giant machine like Michigan State?

It doesn’t work that way. Remember all the people who said that Penn State football would be buried like SMU? Well, guess how that worked out?

Coaches don’t lose jobs over players’ sexual misconduct. They do lose jobs when money changes hands, which was Pitino’s downfall.

So your saying having prostitution in a dorm room didnt lead to a vacated final four? I realized the FBI information ultimately got Pitino/ Jurich fired but it was a big strike against them from a PR standpoint and has/will likely set UofL years. While prostitution is illegal its still two people consenting to have sex NOT rape. Izzo closed a blind Eye and now its all out in the open. Your right it might not get him fired but the NCAA is going to absolutely come down hard. I doubt he ever recovers

Deadspin piece on the Appling and Payne rape from 2010:

https://deadspin.com/5651355/sexual...state-players-why-arent-charges-being-brought

Sexual Assault Allegations Against Two Michigan State Players: Why Aren't Charges Being Brought?
Barry Petchesky9/29/10 4:05pm
17iskwj5227uijpg.jpg

Two MSU players were accused of sexually assaulting a woman on campus in August. Despite a police recommendation to prosecute, and one of the accused players later corroborating the victim's account, the prosecutor's office will not be pursuing the case.

The two players have not and will not be named, as long as they aren't charged with any crime. And it doesn't look like they ever will be, despite what looks to our untrained eyes like plenty of evidence to go forward.

The woman met the two at a dorm orientation meeting, she says in the police report. After a few drinks she returned to the players' room.

Once in the room, the three started playing basketball using a mini-hoop. When the victim missed a basket, one of the men told her she had to remove an article of clothing. The victim agreed and removed her t-shirt because she had a tank top on underneath.

At this point, the victim says, the players began to deliberately miss baskets until they were stripped "completely naked." One of the men allegedly blocked the doorway to the room, while the other "cornered" the victim in the room.

"[The victim] explained to [detectives] that the body language of [the players] suggested she was not free to leave," the report says. "[Redacted] was blocking any escape path to the exit of the dorm room. [The victim] stated that after [redacted] approached the door he turned the lights in the room off and the room went completely dark. At this point, the sexual assault began."

The victim told police the players penetrated her in various positions. The victim told detectives the players allegedly asked her "how does that feel?" and "how do you want it?" The victim says she told the players she didn't want it and gave "other indicators she was not a willing participant."

The victim told police that the players pinned her down, but at one point she freed her arms momentarily and struck one of the players in the face. The player was on top of her and in response to her hitting him, he allegedly said, "Don't. Just relax. C'mon," as he continued to assault her, the report says.

According to the Ingham County Prosecutor, charging a case like this "requires the element of force and/or coercion," and of the prosecutors who reviewed it, "none could find any of these necessary elements." It's almost like they didn't read the police report.

It gets worse: the MSU Police Department asked for and were granted a search warrant, and removed DNA evidence, clothing and used condoms from the players' room. They also interviewed one of the players (the other declined to speak).

He told investigators that when it was clear from the victim's statements that she did not want to have sex, he stopped. However, the other player continued "despite her reluctance and statements that she did not want to continue."

After all this, MSU Police forwarded their report to the prosecutor's office with a recommendation that the two players be charged with Criminal Sexual Conduct 1, the most serious level of assault.

Prosecutors say the decision not to bring charges was a mutual one, made with the victim's agreement. She denies this, though she admits to being wary of the backlash that inevitably hits anyone accusing athletes of sexual assault.

I worry about what would happen if it didn't go through and having to deal with all the publicity and everything that goes with pursuing charges," she said. "But also I am angry. It's just that everybody looks at them as heroes and they're so excited for basketball season that [the players] get off without anybody caring. They haven't even been punished."

Maybe not in a courtroom. But it's a matter of time before the rumor mill, the media, and public opinion put everyone involved through the wringer.

thanks for the info.

Reactions: ufo33
Izzo and D'Antoni are trash. Molest State University. They go down while still in denial just like Pitino and Paterno. Trying to lie to protect their winning at all cost legacy. The pattern repeats itself every time a scumbag gets caught.

I'm not sure how this is viewed by the NCAA but I can't see how it's not lack of institutional control. Good lord

You mean this NCAA? - https://theathletic.com/223555/2018...ichigan-state-sexual-assault-reports-in-2010/
Yeah, Emmert is right on top of things... Now he's pretending to take an interest since it's blown up as national news. He's part of the white wash /cover up...

The NCAA HQ is so full of phonies it's sickening to contemplate...

This will be all about the money just like it always is...

If the NCAA, the Big Ten, or MSU starts losing money (i.e. "fans") because Izzo and/or Dantonio are still in charge then one or both of them will be shown the door, if not (no real $ lost), they'll both end up with statues...

I can't stand either one of them but I've become a cynic (for good reason), so I'm betting on the statues...

The M$U fan base should be embarrassed to be associated with either of these two coaches , in any way, but in a predictable twist they've gone full on Paterno type apologists as a group for both of them...

Sad doesn't cover it...

Reactions: Crimson Crush
I'm not sure how this is viewed by the NCAA but I can't see how it's not lack of institutional control. Good lord

You mean this NCAA? - https://theathletic.com/223555/2018...ichigan-state-sexual-assault-reports-in-2010/
Yeah, Emmert is right on top of things... Now he's pretending to take an interest since it's blown up as national news. He's part of the white wash /cover up...

The NCAA HQ is so full of phonies it's sickening to contemplate...

This will be all about the money just like it always is...

If the NCAA, the Big Ten, or MSU starts losing money (i.e. "fans") because Izzo and/or Dantonio are still in charge then one or both of them will be shown the door, if not (no real $ lost), they'll both end up with statues...

I can't stand either one of them but I've become a cynic (for good reason), so I'm betting on the statues...

The M$U fan base should be embarrassed to be associated with either of these two coaches , in any way, but in a predictable twist they've gone full on Paterno type apologists as a group for both of them...

Sad doesn't cover it...
Win at any cost

Reactions: ufo33
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT