ADVERTISEMENT

By 2050, Nigerian population to tie USA

• Wow
Reactions: mcmurtry66
These kinds of arguments are inherently faulty. They only work if "spending money" means we take wealth and actually, physically destroy it. But we don't. All we do is move it around. And a big chunk of it moves through the energy industry (although not nearly as much as moves through the healthcare industry).
It’s not a faulty argument. You have to weigh it against the opportunity cost of what we lose when we spend more capital to acquire the same amount of energy. You’re certainly slowing or destroying future growth or wealth. We don’t just shuffle money around. Efficiency and time matter.

Last edited:
anyone thinking the USA is any different is extremely naive.

our entire system of govt is now literally based in bribery and extortion, and that reality has even been officially blessed by SCOTUS. (which is also rooted in bribery and corruption).

only difference between us and the rest of the world, is in the US the bribery and extortion hasn't infiltrated low level politics and business as much.
Does this mean we should be hard core advocates for a much smaller federal government?

Unless one of the climate zealots has a plan for forcing the developing world on to renewables, I fail to see why the Western world should make itself more poor in the name of possibly lowering the global temperature by 0.1 degrees over the next 10 years.

Any of the climate zealots have suggestions for how we bring the Middle East, Africa, India, China, Russia, South America to heel and force them to start using more expensive forms of energy? I’m all ears.

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
I am this board's "Beard of Knowledge"
Oh, I'm sure that the phrase "beard" has been applied to you multiple times in your younger days. You just didn't know it.

Beard is a slang term, American in origin, describing a person who is used, knowingly or unknowingly, as a date, romantic partner (boyfriend or girlfriend), or spouse either to conceal infidelity or to conceal one's sexual orientation.

I don’t even know how to respond to this
Like that

Back on topic:

This site is selling a OnePlus Nord 3 for about $360. In the US, that same phone goes for $500.

So either this business is dead, or I should not be in charge of market research.

God you sissies hit one molehill and you fall apart.

Look, they just released in the USA and are already down to $305. Also, it's Chinese. Try buying an iPHONE

If you guys want partners with knowledge, I got the inside skinny from my man Mr. E. He's our cyber security guy at work.. Grew up in Ebuja (sic). Awesome dude, lives near me and laughed about your plan. I think he's a linchpin for our eCommerce play.

Oh, I'm sure that the phrase "beard" has been applied to you multiple times in your younger days. You just didn't know it.

Beard is a slang term, American in origin, describing a person who is used, knowingly or unknowingly, as a date, romantic partner (boyfriend or girlfriend), or spouse either to conceal infidelity or to conceal one's sexual orientation.

Like that
I’m certainly used at the moment. Ex stoker’s bday at some fancy restaurant up the street with reservations and her bf so I’m babysitting. IM A BITCH!!! @DANC im weak

If you guys want partners with knowledge, I got the inside skinny from my man Mr. E. He's our cyber security guy at work.. Grew up in Ebuja (sic). Awesome dude, lives near me and laughed about your plan. I think he's a linchpin for our eCommerce play.
OK, we've reached critical mass here. Let's schedule a Zoom and get this thing going. Ebuja can be VP of International Relations. Tell him we'll pay him exclusively in Doge coin.

I’m certainly used at the moment. Ex stoker’s bday at some fancy restaurant up the street with reservations and her bf so I’m babysitting. IM A BITCH!!! @DANC im weak
No you're not. You're spending time with your daughter because her mom doesn't want her to participate in mom's "special time".

Do you even sell or market your dadship, bro?

Fathers Day Dad GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

OK, we've reached critical mass here. Let's schedule a Zoom and get this thing going. Ebuja can be VP of International Relations. Tell him we'll pay him exclusively in Doge coin.
Masters from IU. As a full shares participant, I'm going to have to advise that we move to at least BTC or Gold bullion certs to get this done. I'll go back to him to make sure.

He just got out of the probationary period too. We’re gonna have to do the whole damn process. Dammit. Gonna take 6 months.

We might have to incorporate in Africa so as to ignore all HR norms he’s become accustomed to.

You calling Brad a whore?

Abuja is the nation's capital (I always thought it was Lagos). That's where my daughter flew into and then took a hellish 3 hour drive to Jos.

Yep brown. And not just that old. I read quite a bit about aging shit and from what I’ve read we’re not terribly far off from major breakthroughs to where humans can live wayyyyyy longer. Like 110, 120 years old. You and I will likely be just a little too old now but for people in their 20s etc they could have some serious longevity.
Poor bastards. Wonder what quality of life would be at 120 years old. I'm 38 and have enough aches and pain.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
He just got out of the probationary period too. We’re gonna have to do the whole damn process. Dammit. Gonna take 6 months.

We might have to incorporate in Africa so as to ignore all HR norms he’s become accustomed to.
Maybe a new line of business here: Nigerian treasure hunters.

Gotta be a lot of hidden gold there, right?

Ridiculous that a country that has so much money coming in can't figure out how to develop their own agriculture to feed their own people.
ya, it seems like the oil gift and curse there. most of Africa doesn't get enough regular rainfall for corn or wheat. most of Africa also lacks navigable rivers and good natural marine ports to cheaply move those grains around even if they did. means they can't move anything cheaply. means they don't easily unify politically around interconnected bases of power. mix in a good dose of post-colonial factionalism, and that all leads to issues that oil money alone, even when it does get to the right projects, can't fix.

One of my favorite Asimov stories was "The Evitable Conflict." Ostensibly, it was about what life would be like for humans if they were secretly ruled by AI (spoiler: Asimov thought it would be dandy). But it also contained some interesting commentary on global demographics. Although he dramatically underestimated the size of the population, he did depict Europe as a bunch of sleepy old white guys looking to slip into a comfortable retirement, and Africa as the energetic future of human society.
I just listened to a podcast with Bryan Johnson - the guy who is spending millions of dollars to de-age himself and live forever. Essentially he’s handed over his body to AI already, saying that based on series of tests results, algorithms tell him when and what to eat, when to sleep and for how long, and when to exercise /work out and what to do. For the most part, AI has customized a plan for every facet of his life.

He believes that type of AI/ technology is the future of the human race.

Reactions: BradStevens
ya, it seems like the oil gift and curse there. most of Africa doesn't get enough regular rainfall for corn or wheat. most of Africa also lacks navigable rivers and good natural marine ports to cheaply move those grains around even if they did. means they can't move anything cheaply. means they don't easily unify politically around interconnected bases of power. mix in a good dose of post-colonial factionalism, and that all leads to issues that oil money alone, even when it does get to the right projects, can't fix.
Can’t money buy a port, though? Look at Houston.
The Middle East gulf oil rich states have built entire cities (and ports?). Houston built their own port a hundred years ago.

I wonder why such things couldn’t be done in Africa? Different engineering problems? Lack of political will? Too much corruption?

Reactions: jet812 and DANC

The Middle East gulf oil rich states have built entire cities (and ports?). Houston built their own port a hundred years ago.

I wonder why such things couldn’t be done in Africa? Different engineering problems? Lack of political will? Too much corruption?

It's all politics. We give money to a group that supports orphanages there and I've talked to locals who come here and I've discussed it with them.

The corruption there is just beyond our comprehension. It's still very tribal and whoever gets in power settles scores and lines their pockets. Basically, they do nothing - they don't fulfill any of their responsibilities to improve lives.

They have crazy rules that they think will encourage local industry. You can't ship anything there without all kinds of government approvals. It all has to be made locally and there is no real industry there to make stuff. So, nothing gets created.

It's just a mess, politically. On the other side, there are some beautiful souls there who are not materialistic at all. They are happy if their basic needs are being met. Well, and if they have a smart phone.... which most do, no matter how poor.

If the governments there would welcome industry and were stable enough that companies would know they wouldn't be nationalized, the continent would be a powerhouse.

So many issues - as Americans we just have no idea how lucky we are that things work - I've been told that many times. "Things just work here".

The corruption there is just beyond our comprehension. It's still very tribal and whoever gets in power settles scores and lines their pockets. Basically, they do nothing - they don't fulfill any of their responsibilities to improve lives.

They have crazy rules that they think will encourage local industry. You can't ship anything there without all kinds of government approvals. It all has to be made locally and there is no real industry there to make stuff. So, nothing gets created.

It's just a mess, politically. On the other side, there are some beautiful souls there who are not materialistic at all. They are happy if their basic needs are being met. Well, and if they have a smart phone.... which most do, no matter how poor.

Sounds like South Dallas.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC

ya, you can build marine ports where good natural ports don't exist but at great expense (in construction and maintenance). and they don't generate the return on capital investment without link to developed markets, like Houston and those Middle Eastern ports. ME countries not only ship oil but are a transit point between the Indian ocean and the mediterranean, linking Europe to s. Asia and e.Asia. Nigeria has under developed neighbors and doesn't make sense as an intl shipping hub because of location.

It's all politics. We give money to a group that supports orphanages there and I've talked to locals who come here and I've discussed it with them.

If the governments there would welcome industry and were stable enough that companies would know they wouldn't be nationalized, the continent would be a powerhouse.

So many issues - as Americans we just have no idea how lucky we are that things work - I've been told that many times. "Things just work here".

ya, man, that's the under developed world for you. there's definitely a feedback loop, but bad geography more often than not leads to bad governance and bad corruption. not to mention the constant tension caused by artificial national, political and ethnic lines drawn by a few hundred years of colonialism. that's a tough yoke to shed.

I think it's a simplistic view to say things would be different if they just welcomed industry. they would if they could but they lack too many of the natural fundamentals to be economic powerhouses. you just can't build factories and suburbs where the land isn't good for it and where you don't have economically viable links to markets.

Last edited:
ya, man, that's the under developed world for you. there's definitely a feedback loop, but bad geography more often than not leads to bad governance and bad corruption. not to mention the constant tension caused by artificial national, political and ethnic lines drawn by a few hundred years of colonialism. that's a tough yoke to shed.

I think it's a simplistic view to say things would be different if they just welcomed industry. they would if they could but they lack too many of the natural fundamentals to be economic powerhouses. you just can't build factories and suburbs where the land isn't good for it and where you don't have economically viable links to markets.
Many companies would build businesses there if the threat of nationalizing them wasn't a real possibility.

The mining opportunities alone are immense.

Many companies would build businesses there if the threat of nationalizing them wasn't a real possibility.

The mining opportunities alone are immense.

I agree but not sure it would move the needle as much as we think considering geographic constraints. if only they were along trade routes or were closer to a larger economic engine. I'm thinking of how Vietnam and Thailand became destinations for corporations.

ya, it seems like mining and oil alone can be a double-edged sword. a more diversified market economy is the ticket to developed nation status.

folks have speculated for years that free or very cheap energy could allow poorer countries to overcome their expensive transportation costs. it's not a coincidence that rich countries tend to have good marine ports and extensive riverine transportation systems. the ability to trade by water is a huge deal. Most of Africa has bad rivers for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT