ADVERTISEMENT

Booing Sampson

You forgot what he did to us.
Looking back, the NCAA issues were not good, but Kelvin’s players were also a huge problem.

His team had severe character issues. There were serious drug and academic problems. Our APR was awful. When Kelvin got caught and we had the interim coaches the players behaved even worse.

I still don’t know what he was thinking with his recruiting. It was so unnecessary. Bud Mackey didn’t even make it here.

When Crean got here the self imposed sanctions weren’t too limiting (NCAA accepted them as punishment), but the roster was so toxic he had nothing to work with and had to restart from scratch. And then we had the three tough rebuild seasons as we know.

Dumb....Dude is no different than most P5 coaches.
Fine to boo him. But I agree if you looked at the actual rules violations, not just what was self reported or caught, Kelvin is probably similar to Cal, Rick, Self, etc. I’m sure all those coaches were fiddling with text and call limits given they were paying players, which is worse than text/calls of course.

I’m pretty sure it was the Purdue fans leading the Boos. It’s just second nature when there’s an IU connection. lol.

Honestly I think he earned it as much as anyone. For Houston to jump into the Big 12 and run away with it in year 1 and get a number 1 seed was pretty impressive. Plus I think Purdue would have had to play them in the final four had Shead not gotten hurt. I don’t wish that on my worst enemy.

I’m pretty sure it was the Purdue fans leading the Boos. It’s just second nature when there’s an IU connection. lol.

Honestly I think he earned it as much as anyone. For Houston to jump into the Big 12 and run away with it in year 1 and get a number 1 seed was pretty impressive. Plus I think Purdue would have had to play them in the final four had Shead not gotten hurt. I don’t wish that on my worst enemy.
It's too bad shead got hurt. I would have liked to see them play PU.

There's nothing wrong with Sampson in the modern NCAA NIL/portal game.

Fine to boo him. But I agree if you looked at the actual rules violations, not just what was self reported or caught, Kelvin is probably similar to Cal, Rick, Self, etc. I’m sure all those coaches were fiddling with text and call limits given they were paying players, which is worse than text/calls of course.
Sampson was president of the College Basketball Coach’s Association when they passed the rule limiting 3-way calls, then promptly went about violating the rule. This earned him the ire of the NCAA, who then put a target on his back. We hired him anyway and he got both IU and OU in trouble. One of the terms of his probation at IU was he could not make 3-way calls. He did it anyway then lied about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT