#7 Ohio St. 37-32
#8 Indiana 36-33
#9 Northwestern 29-40
#10 Nebraska 28-40
#11 Illinois 27-42
#12 Minnesota 24-44
#13 Penn St. 23-46
#14 Rutgers 5-46

Before the start of the season, it was a bragging point that IU had won 2 of the last 4 Big Ten Titles. I even thought it was pretty cool that Crean had an opportunity to join an elite group of Big Ten coaches who had won 3 in 5 years.

Now another season is nearly passed, so I wondered how the Big Ten standings would look after the departure of Zeller and Oladipo.

Possibly the most embarrassing thing about this is that IU and Maryland both have 36 wins, but Maryland has only been a Big Ten member for 3 of the 4 years... ouch!

Last edited:
#1 Wisconsin 51-17
#2 Mich St. 45-23
#2 Maryland 36-14
#4 Purdue 41-28
#5 Michigan 40-28
#6 Iowa 40-29
#7 Ohio St. 37-32
#8 Indiana 36-33
#9 Northwestern 29-40
#10 Nebraska 28-40
#11 Illinois 27-42
#12 Minnesota 24-44
#13 Penn St. 23-46
#14 Rutgers 5-46

Before the start of the season, it was a bragging point that IU had won 2 of the last 4 Big Ten Titles. I even thought it was pretty cool that Crean had an opportunity to join an elite group of Big Ten coaches who had won 3 in 5 years.

Now another season is nearly passed, so I wondered how the Big Ten standings would look after the departure of Zeller and Oladipo.

Possibly the most embarrassing thing about this is that IU and Maryland both have 36 wins, but Maryland has only been a Big Ten member for 3 of the 4 years... ouch!
Ouch!

Just imagine if you could use his first 3 years! Flat embarrassing especially when the BiG has been down

This may be taking a good thing too far, but here are the combined Big Ten Standings since the day Crean signed Cody.

#1 Wisconsin 88-34 .721
#2 Maryland 36-14 .720
#3 Mich St. 80-42 .656
#4 Ohio St. 79-44 .643
#5 Michigan 74-48 .607
#6 Purdue 72-50 .59
#7 Indiana 64-58 .525
#8 Iowa 61-62 .496
#9 Illinois 49-73 .402
#10 Northwestern 48-74 .393
#11 Minnesota 44-78 .361
#12 Nebraska 37-67 .356
#13 Penn St. 23-45 .311
#14 Rutgers 5-46 .098

24 games behind Wisconsin! 8 games behind Purdue! 3.5 games ahead of freaking Iowa!!!

If there was an NCAA Tournament based on a 7 year resume, IU would be in must win territory these next 3 games to qualify... and the media thinks we're wacko:mad:

This may be taking a good thing too far, but here are the combined Big Ten Standings since the day Crean signed Cody.

#1 Wisconsin 88-34 .721
#2 Maryland 36-14 .720
#3 Mich St. 80-42 .656
#4 Ohio St. 79-44 .643
#5 Michigan 74-48 .607
#6 Purdue 72-50 .59
#7 Indiana 64-58 .525
#8 Iowa 61-62 .496
#9 Illinois 49-73 .402
#10 Northwestern 48-74 .393
#11 Minnesota 44-78 .361
#12 Nebraska 37-67 .356
#13 Penn St. 23-45 .311
#14 Rutgers 5-46 .098

24 games behind Wisconsin! 8 games behind Purdue! 3.5 games ahead of freaking Iowa!!!

If there was an NCAA Tournament based on a 7 year resume, IU would be in must win territory these next 3 games to qualify... and the media thinks we're wacko:mad:
Crean is awful! It amazes me how people can't see that.

It's why it's so difficult to have confidence in Glass to make a change, since he went all in on Crean and now must admit that he made a huge mistake.
I hear what you're saying but Glass has to/must realize how much fans will respect(?) him again if he cans Crean and makes a good hire (yes, I know...little confidence there in him doing that but...) Admitting he made a huge mistake will go a lot further with fans than perpetuating that huge mistake by keeping Crean.

Reactions: bsmitty08
#1 Wisconsin 51-17
#2 Mich St. 45-23
#2 Maryland 36-14
#4 Purdue 41-28
#5 Michigan 40-28
#6 Iowa 40-29
#7 Ohio St. 37-32
#8 Indiana 36-33
#9 Northwestern 29-40
#10 Nebraska 28-40
#11 Illinois 27-42
#12 Minnesota 24-44
#13 Penn St. 23-46
#14 Rutgers 5-46

That, or the fact that Northwestern is catching up

Reactions: Paterfamilias
I hear what you're saying but Glass has to/must realize how much fans will respect(?) him again if he cans Crean and makes a good hire (yes, I know...little confidence there in him doing that but...) Admitting he made a huge mistake will go a lot further with fans than perpetuating that huge mistake by keeping Crean.
A little humility for Glass would go a long way but, as you said, letting Crean go is the easy part of this.

Hiring a suitable replacement is the challenge, and Glass has clearly shown by his all in endorsement of Crean that he hasn't a clue what a good coach looks like. Not a clue.

He has shown, however, that there's a price for not having the requisite skills and experience to do your job well, and IU is paying that price now. Maybe he'll surprise us all, but it really would be shocking if he does this right, and totally unsurprising if he screws it up.

It would be as much of an upset as IU winning the Big Ten Tournament and going on to win the national championship.

Reactions: IU40IU
A little humility for Glass would go a long way but, as you said, letting Crean go is the easy part of this.

Hiring a suitable replacement is the challenge, and Glass has clearly shown by his all in endorsement of Crean that he hasn't a clue what a good coach looks like. Not a clue.

He has shown, however, that there's a price for not having the requisite skills and experience to do your job well, and IU is paying that price now. Maybe he'll surprise us all, but it really would be shocking if he does this right, and totally unsurprising if he screws it up.

It would be as much of an upset as IU winning the Big Ten Tournament and going on to win the national championship.
I don't agree with the part about "all in endorsement of Crean". Any AD, if he is worth his salt...is "all in" until he is "all out". If along the way that PR support is tepid or tenuous...it serves no useful purpose. What visible support there is for media and public consumption is one thing....what is going on right now in back rooms is all that matters.

I would think that Glass wants as little prying into those back rooms as possible by the media....so public support of Crean, no matter how misguided and solid it appears to be, doesn't bother me in the least...its a tool. My skepticism lies in the nine years that has elapsed, and Crean is still here. We don't know how that entire body of work is being graded.

I don't agree with the part about "all in endorsement of Crean". Any AD, if he is worth his salt...is "all in" until he is "all out". If along the way that PR support is tepid or tenuous...it serves no useful purpose. What visible support there is for media and public consumption is one thing....what is going on right now in back rooms is all that matters.

I would think that Glass wants as little prying into those back rooms as possible by the media....so public support of Crean, no matter how misguided and solid it appears to be, doesn't bother me in the least...its a tool. My skepticism lies in the nine years that has elapsed, and Crean is still here. We don't know how that entire body of work is being graded.
The "all in" support of Crean was the early re-do of his contract, taking it out a number of years, significantly raising his compensation, and tying him to a large buyout that all but guaranteed he'd be at IU for a long time. It really has nothing whatsoever to do with guarding any sort of back room discussions.

Public pronouncements tend to be superficial and easily digestible for some, but Glass's real commitment was in the package he carved out for Crean a number of years ago, in spite of the fact that there was no need to do so.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Is he gone yet?

donkey-shrek-1.74.jpg

The "all in" support of Crean was the early re-do of his contract, taking it out a number of years, significantly raising his compensation, and tying him to a large buyout that all but guaranteed he'd be at IU for a long time. It really has nothing whatsoever to do with guarding any sort of back room discussions.

Public pronouncements tend to be superficial and easily digestible for some, but Glass's real commitment was in the package he carved out for Crean a number of years ago, in spite of the fact that there was no need to do so.

the reworked contract actually put his buyout on par with similarly sized contracts. that's the cost of doing business.

from a contractual point of view, it's more like crean's first year was his 4th. and from a management point of view glass treated crean's 6th and 7th years as if there were crean's 3rd and 4th.

i don't think the contract itself was the issue as much as the way Glass viewed the timeline.

It reinforces my opinion on where our program currently stands in relation to others in the conference. We are light years away from the top teams.

We are now a Minnesota, an Illinois, an Iowa ...... at best. Each of those teams will have years where they make a run and win the conference, but it is an anomaly. Same with us (currently under TC). Even last year was a story of two "seasons". We quickly forget that Crean's hot seat was a'blaze prior to the conference season.

Last edited:
#1 Wisconsin 51-17
#2 Mich St. 45-23
#2 Maryland 36-14
#4 Purdue 41-28
#5 Michigan 40-28
#6 Iowa 40-29
#7 Ohio St. 37-32
#8 Indiana 36-33
#9 Northwestern 29-40
#10 Nebraska 28-40
#11 Illinois 27-42
#12 Minnesota 24-44
#13 Penn St. 23-46
#14 Rutgers 5-46

I was thinking about this last night as well. Without Zeller he is a middle of the pack big ten coach at best. He has nobody next year to bail him out like a Yogi and Green is not the answer at point. He was flat out awful last night. If Crean is not gone after this season I doubt he will ever be gone.

Honestly, I think this says all that needs to be said. IU under CTC is a mediocre team/program on average, or a bad team with an occasionally very good season. By no description is this what is expected (or being paid for).
Honestly, I think this says all that needs to be said. IU under CTC is a mediocre team/program on average, or a bad team with an occasionally very good season. By no description is this what is expected (or being paid for).

Except now he does not have the recruits like Yogi coming anymore to give him that one good season sandwiched in between two bad ones. Recruiting has gone in the toilet.

I could never hear him saying the hire was a mistake, but maybe privately he might admit he hung on a little too long.

the reworked contract actually put his buyout on par with similarly sized contracts. that's the cost of doing business.

from a contractual point of view, it's more like crean's first year was his 4th. and from a management point of view glass treated crean's 6th and 7th years as if there were crean's 3rd and 4th.

i don't think the contract itself was the issue as much as the way Glass viewed the timeline.
But they're inextricably linked, the re-do and the buyout, and they (Glass and IU) !extended credit "on the come" for the success Glass hoped Crean would achieve, rather than anything he'd actually accomplished.

I understand, by the way, that this happens everywhere, all the time but, in the case of Crean, Glass and IU already had some evidence that he was much more style than substance. As such, Glass should've waited to sweeten the deal until Crean showed some success on and off the court.

Unfortunately, however, he bought the line from Crean's representative that others were knocking on their door, and he got out the checkbook. Notre Dame did the same (only much bigger) with Charlie Weis, with similar results.

It's water under the bridge now, but I'm not sure why people have faith in Glass to fix a problem that was largely of his own making and why, if he fires Crean, he should be trusted to find a suitable replacement.

I could never hear him saying the hire was a mistake, but maybe privately he might admit he hung on a little too long.

Yea I didn't mean he would actually verbalize making a mistake, but cutting ties with him at this point would make a similar statement without him actually making a statement. Guess I should have been clearer in what I meant.

Reactions: mohoosier
But they're inextricably linked, the re-do and the buyout, and they (Glass and IU) !extended credit "on the come" for the success Glass hoped Crean would achieve, rather than anything he'd actually accomplished.

I understand, by the way, that this happens everywhere, all the time but, in the case of Crean, Glass and IU already had some evidence that he was much more style than substance. As such, Glass should've waited to sweeten the deal until Crean showed some success on and off the court.

Unfortunately, however, he bought the line from Crean's representative that others were knocking on their door, and he got out the checkbook. Notre Dame did the same (only much bigger) with Charlie Weis, with similar results.

It's water under the bridge now, but I'm not sure why people have faith in Glass to fix a problem that was largely of his own making and why, if he fires Crean, he should be trusted to find a suitable replacement.

I have no faith in Glass in fact I still wonder if he will even fire him after this mess. He simply strikes me as a guy who will refuse to admit his massive mistake. I still think he honestly believes if he can just give crean another year or two he will get this done. I still think there is over a 50% chance Crean is back.

I have no faith in Glass in fact I still wonder if he will even fire him after this mess. He simply strikes me as a guy who will refuse to admit his massive mistake. I still think he honestly believes if he can just give crean another year or two he will get this done. I still think there is over a 50% chance Crean is back.
This time it just feels different. I believe Crean is gone.
dead_man_walking.png

This time it just feels different. I believe Crean is gone.
dead_man_walking.png
It does feel different. I thought Fred being at the game & seeing that crap show in person was something. Also it seemed Crean was coaching different. Called TO to yell at players for not getting back. Got on the refs some

It does feel different. I thought Fred being at the game & seeing that crap show in person was something. Also it seemed Crean was coaching different. Called TO to yell at players for not getting back. Got on the refs some
What I find surprising is that if Glass was not thinking of making a change then why has he not come out and support Crean. With more media outlets coming out and talking about Crean's job security you would think we have heard something from Glass.

Crean will be gone...I put it at 90% chance

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Glass either has to fire him or extend him. Can you imagine how poorly Crean will recruit going into his final contract year without an extension? Fire him now.

Is that a gut feeling or have you heard something form a reliable source. I never thought there would be a day where I am not upset when IU loses. I just think there has to be a change after this year or they will lose a lot of fans,

Glass was waiting for your approval, scott. You want him gone? well damn, bro, that's all you had to say!

Is that a gut feeling or have you heard something form a reliable source. I never thought there would be a day where I am not upset when IU loses. I just think there has to be a change after this year or they will lose a lot of fans,
I have heard it from good sources but they also are covering their butts by saying they will believe it when they see it happen. I have heard some big boosters have voiced some displeasure

I am not sure what more Fred needs to see after 9 years? The fact he still needs to evaluate is pretty scary and leads me to believe he has not decided yet.

Reactions: bsmitty08
I am not sure what more Fred needs to see after 9 years? The fact he still needs to evaluate is pretty scary and leads me to believe he has not decided yet.
The odds are very strong that he hasn't decided anything yet. Overwhelmingly strong.

What I find surprising is that if Glass was not thinking of making a change then why has he not come out and support Crean. With more media outlets coming out and talking about Crean's job security you would think we have heard something from Glass.

I don't believe he gave that massive public support for Crean two years ago until after the season was over.

I expect we may here something along the lines of while the season was a disappointment we were strapped with injuries and Tom did a great job of keeping the boys focused . Tom and I still share the goals of big ten and national championships.

I am not at all getting my hopes up he is gone. As of now I fully expect Glass will bring him back.

I don't believe he gave that massive public support for Crean two years ago until after the season was over.

I expect we may here something along the lines of while the season was a disappointment we were strapped with injuries and Tom did a great job of keeping the boys focused . Tom and I still share the goals of big ten and national championships.

I am not at all getting my hopes up he is gone. As of now I fully expect Glass will bring him back.

i looked. it was two marchs ago. lol

the difference is that this is happening again and the talent left on the team leaves little hope.

glass wants to keep crean. badly. makes his job easier. but he's got no arguments to make.

sayonara

the difference is that this is happening again and the talent left on the team leaves little hope.

glass wants to keep crean. badly. makes his job easier. but he's got no arguments to make.

sayonara
He has the injury argument and the youth argument. Don't underestimate his willingness to rely heavily on both.

The odds are very strong that he hasn't decided anything yet. Overwhelmingly strong.
That is a big problem

sayonara

Yes he does want to keep him badly and that is why he brought him back last year imo. He figured if he had a good year he would be able to keep him on longer. I think that happened and now he bought himself at least another year. Unless the powers that be are in Fred's ear hard and I mean hard he will not make a change. That right there should show you how dedicated Fred is to being elite. Not very imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT