ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA tourney bound Big Ten teams- how many NBA bound?

TR32

All-American
Nov 20, 2009
I count a maximum of 4 future NBA players amongst the top 5 teams in the Big Ten. Probably fewer.

Storr, Hawkins, T. Shannon, Boie?

None from Nebraska or Purdue.

Any other conferences have such a Topsy turvey talent to win ratio?

Edey projected 1st round, at the very least getting drafted. How do you forget about that one. Jamir young might look really good on a team that wasn't terrible. Ware, Mack, Reneau after another year maybe. MR probably comes back to make 1 mil next year. Theres probably some high potential player that goes that Im not thinking about.

I count a maximum of 4 future NBA players amongst the top 5 teams in the Big Ten. Probably fewer.

Storr, Hawkins, T. Shannon, Boie?

None from Nebraska or Purdue.

Any other conferences have such a Topsy turvey talent to win ratio?
You fail to understand a couple simple concepts ..

Of course there can and will be discrepancies .. Those rankings are made with different criteria. NBA = future potential in a different league it has nothing to do with the present and is not a measure of current ability or talent.

NBA draft potential ratings do not equal current college talent. It's a long term projection based on a combination of physical traits, measurables, and skillset. They are not college proficiency ratings and do not represent that player's current talent level.

HS ratings do not equal college talent or proficiency. It's a rating based on HS play but can also include those with exceptional athleticism. They are not college proficiency ratings and do not represent that player's current talent level.

How many post season AA and AC will those teams have. That at least gauges current talent ... not past or future.

Or use Torvik's rankings. Or Kenpom's. Or Miya's .. those are based on analytics. Zack Edey is/or was #1 in all of them. Who will soon be 2 time PoY. To claim in any way that Purdue is talent deficient is asinine ...

and fwiw, he's currently projected as a lottery pick (14th) and 1 of only 2 B1G players (Ware) projected be picked in the draft this year. Shannon may reappear in the 2nd rd. if he isn't in prison.

IF you want to define talent as athletic only as an argument, then I want you to tell me Larry Bird wasn't talented...

*eyeroll*

Last edited:
Edey projected 1st round, at the very least getting drafted. How do you forget about that one.
I forgot to mention Edey.
He has earned at the very least some intrigue by NBA teams. I still don't know that he will make a first round pick.

The point of my thread is that among the top 5 Big Ten teams in the standings, there are few true "prospects". It means they have won games thru coaching and hard nosed play. It also indicates perhaps that the Big Ten is indeed low on talent this year overall (which has seemed to be true by all indications).

I forgot to mention Edey.
He has earned at the very least some intrigue by NBA teams. I still don't know that he will make a first round pick.

The point of my thread is that among the top 5 Big Ten teams in the standings, there are few true "prospects". It means they have won games thru coaching and hard nosed play. It also indicates perhaps that the Big Ten is indeed low on talent this year overall (which has seemed to be true by all indications).
There is only 60 draft picks and this is the worst draft class in the last decade.

I don’t see more then 5-7 players per conference being drafted after this season.

So I wouldn’t say the big ten lacks NBA talent, I’d say it’s just a down year for NBA prospects

You fail to understand a couple simple concepts ..

Of course there can and will be discrepancies .. Those rankings are made with different criteria. NBA = future potential in a different league it has nothing to do with the present and is not a measure of current ability or talent.

NBA draft potential ratings do not equal current college talent. It's a long term projection based on a combination of physical traits, measurables, and skillset. They are not college proficiency ratings and do not represent that player's current talent level.

HS ratings do not equal college talent or proficiency. It's a rating based on HS play but can also include those with exceptional athleticism. They are not college proficiency ratings and do not represent that player's current talent level.

How many post season AA and AC will those teams have. That at least gauges current talent ... not past or future.

Or use Torvik's rankings. Or Kenpom's. Or Miya's .. those are based on analytics. Zack Edey is/or was #1 in all of them. Who will soon be 2 time PoY. To claim in any way that Purdue is talent deficient is asinine ...

and fwiw, he's currently projected as a lottery pick (14th) and 1 of only 2 B1G players (Ware) projected be picked in the draft this year. Shannon may reappear in the 2nd rd. if he isn't in prison.

IF you want to define talent as athletic only as an argument, then I want you to tell me Larry Bird wasn't talented...

*eyeroll*
You are making assumptions about what I believe or don't believe.

The thread was an invitation to discuss. For example a reasonable response might have been:

"I think Terrence Shannon has as much a chance to end up in prison as he does the NBA". I would have agreed with that.
You could have said: "you forgot about Edey". I would have said, "you're right, I forgot to mention Edey. He has earned some discussion even though through most of his career he has not been projected as a likely high pick"

Instead of anything constructive, you go on a rant suggesting I don't think Larry Bird was talented.

If this was a quiz, and the question was "write down all Big Ten players who are currently on the top 5 teams in the conference standings who have a decent chance at playing in the NBA". That list would have started with the players I mentioned, give or take 1 or 2.

There is only 60 draft picks and this is the worst draft class in the last decade.

I don’t see more then 5-7 players per conference being drafted after this season.

So I wouldn’t say the big ten lacks NBA talent, I’d say it’s just a down year for NBA prospects
Do you think more smaller conference players will find their way to the league this year or do you think the gaps will be mostly filled by foreign players?

Edey projected 1st round, at the very least getting drafted. How do you forget about that one. Jamir young might look really good on a team that wasn't terrible. Ware, Mack, Reneau after another year maybe. MR probably comes back to make 1 mil next year. Theres probably some high potential player that goes that Im not thinking about.
Ha Purdue fan proclaiming a PU player was left out. Shocking 🤣 In college, Edey is unequivocally the best player in college. There is little argument to be made against that. However, his style is outdated in the NBA game. Nothing has truly changed from last year to this year in his draft status.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mobes
The BIG is really down as a conference. Probably the worst it has been in 25 years

The BIG is really down as a conference. Probably the worst it has been in 25 years
Not sure I agree about that. Take a look at the AP rankings one year ago and you see two teams, Purdue #1 and IU at 21.

I think the bigger issue is the perception for which teams are good. Michigan, MSU, OSU, Iowa, and IU have usually been consistently good to great teams for the last decade, but are struggling this year.

Nebraska and NW being good is kinda hard to come to grips with.

Not sure I agree about that. Take a look at the AP rankings one year ago and you see two teams, Purdue #1 and IU at 21.

I think the bigger issue is the perception for which teams are good. Michigan, MSU, OSU, Iowa, and IU have usually been consistently good to great teams for the last decade, but are struggling this year.

Nebraska and NW being good is kinda hard to come to grips with.
They are good in a bad league. I don’t think Nebraska or NW fair to well in the BIG, Sec or ACC

Do you think more smaller conference players will find their way to the league this year or do you think the gaps will be mostly filled by foreign players?
Combination of G-league developmental guys, overseas, and sprinkle in a few mid majors

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT