ADVERTISEMENT

BIG TEN….wake up and move the tourney up on the calendar!

Year after year big ten teams underperform in the NCAA Tourney because the conf tourney is so demanding and too close to the start of the NCAA tourney.

Wake up and adjust BIG TEN!
Kill the tournament, is my view. It diminishes the achievement of the team(s) that win the actual Big Ten conference title.

Though the Indianapolis Hotel, Hospitality, and Restaurant Business Association probably sees it quite differently.

The BigTen regular season title is already diminished by unbalanced scheduling. Just play the games. The only thing that counts today is the NCAA Tournament
Finally, if “the only thing that counts” is the NCAA, then I can’t see why there’d be any objection to ditching the BTT. Right?

Does 1 day make a difference though?

ACC finishes on Saturday instead of Sunday and they don't seem to have these underperforming issues. SEC goes on Sunday.

I think it's more about the regular season grind, style of play and depth. There aren't many, if any, gimme games in conference.

ACC finishes on Saturday instead of Sunday and they don't seem to have these underperforming issues. SEC goes on Sunday.

I think it's more about the regular season grind, style of play and depth. There aren't many, if any, gimme games in conference.

there might be some draw back to the conference tournaments the first weekend of the NCAA tournament, but probably has no impact by the time you get to the sweet 16. And probably if you are going to make noise in the tournament, you’re most likely going to have favorable matchups the first weekend anyway

also, I think I saw that something like 15 or so of the last NCAA winners had at least made their conference tournament championship game.

If you look at average # of NCAA Tournament wins by seed, the Big 10 is has actually won something like +17 wins over expectation since 1998

Mich. State and Wisconsin have carried the conference though as MSU is around +12, Wisky is +5 and the rest of the conference is basically dead even. MSU, for example has won 52 NCAAT games since the Big 10 started having a tournament. Based on the seeds that MSU has received they would have been expected to win 40 games.

If I remember right, IU has won 16 and was expected to win 16.25 (none of this is counting the current tournament). Purdue is around +2.5 or so. Iowa has done the worst, but I can't remember what it was... I'm thinking -3.5

Commissioner Warren is still just trying to find his seat location in the arena.
Correction: Assistant Commissioner Warren.
Barry is running the show.

The BTT started long after my tenure (1998?) so I'll go with coach RMK's take on it - it was just a money grab. I watched the post-game interviews with the losing coaches in the first three rounds & no one who had solid spots in the NCAA's seemed upset that they lost. More time to rest & prepare maybe?

Speaking of RMK, who never won a BTT, does anyone who actually knew him believe his teams would not have made better runs in the BTT if he valued it as much as the Big Ten title & NCAA performances?

Year after year big ten teams underperform in the NCAA Tourney because the conf tourney is so demanding and too close to the start of the NCAA tourney.

Acc and sec have tourneys the same weekend and seem to do just fine. Kind of a weak excuse maybe the big ten just isnt good enough.

Reactions: Sophie1970

Acc and sec have tourneys the same weekend and seem to do just fine. Kind of a weak excuse maybe the big ten just isnt good enough. North Carolina just dropped number one.

Reactions: Bill4411
Do your own homework. Look at past schedules. Heck, look at this year’s schedule.
Not sure I have seen your comments on your vulgar chants in Mackey this season. You were pretty concerned about the one in TAH.

By moving the final to Saturday you trade two Saturday games and a Sunday game for one Saturday game. It's all about the money.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

I think the B1Gs issues are more entwined with how the conference refs officiate, or lack there of, the games.

To compete and win the B1G you have to get slow, bruising players like Buckey and Purdont. That does not play well in the NCAAs.

I think the B1Gs issues are more entwined with how the conference refs officiate, or lack there of, the games.

To compete and win the B1G you have to get slow, bruising players like Buckey and Purdont. That does not play well in the NCAAs.
Correct. North Carolina seems to be doing just fine after having a tourney last weekend. And doing it with a first year coach.

Reactions: Bill4411
Kill the tournament, is my view. It diminishes the achievement of the team(s) that win the actual Big Ten conference title.

Though the Indianapolis Hotel, Hospitality, and Restaurant Business Association probably sees it quite differently.

If we learned anything from the Selection Committee, it's that Non-conference games are the most valuable, which are followed in importance by Conference games. Conference Tournament games aren't worth much at all, so I agree, why play them?

Though there are many mitigating factors, how many National Championships has the B1G won since starting the Conference Tournament... What role did the Conference Tournament play in Illinois' Round 1 loss last year and Iowa's this year? Cal has been arguing for years that the SEC Tournament should be moved for the same reason.

Looking at the Conference schedule, every team needs to play everyone twice. If we can't fit that into the schedule, then remove a couple teams from the Conference.

Last edited:
Looks like it will be easy for Michigan to advance! Theyve once again gotten so much help from the officiating against Tenn! Seems like Michigan pays them off pregame! Total BS!

Can you show me another stretch of time where we do so much worse than other conferences besides 2021? Or can you only remember back that far? Other than one team who got SMOKED and another who got upset, the Big Ten has held its own. Illinois and Wisconsin won close, but guess what? So did high seeds in other conferences.

Reactions: bailey777
Can you show me another stretch of time where we do so much worse than other conferences besides 2021? Or can you only remember back that far? Other than one team who got SMOKED and another who got upset, the Big Ten has held its own. Illinois and Wisconsin won close, but guess what? So did high seeds in other conferences.

It's because iu made it this year and got bounced.
People never bring up this argument when iu isnt in. Howard just made his second sweet sixteen a row as an 11 seed so actually he has over performed. Its mostly due to style of play not the BTT.

I understand the lower seeds (like IU this year) needing it, but I don’t see how it ever helps the top ranked teams. Underwood was relieved this year they got more rest.

2016 IU unbalanced schedule is probably the reason they won the big ten. Hasn’t really stood out to me since.

How did Kentucky and Auburn Do?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT