ADVERTISEMENT

How does May end up at Michigan?!

If Dusty May had been offered both the Indiana and Michigan jobss, he'd have have been smart to choose Michigan anyway, and probably would've unless he is stupid.
With the current IU administration and athletic department leaders, Michigan is a better job. Politics there are geared toward athletic success, not away from it like politics at IU.
So, we didn't lose out on anyone anyway.
Sucks we'll have to play Michigan coached up. They are going to be a regular problem, even if by some lucky stroke we do eventually get good.
Which is why Caleb Love couldn’t get into Michigan?

Talent level next year will be worse than this year, and Loody’s not going to adjust his scheme to fit what he has. And other programs aren’t going away.

Mark my words—you were dead wrong about this year and will be dead wrong about next year. And spare me the “we will see” jazz. What we will see is a shiiteshow, as I told you throughout this year and it came to pass. As will this.
We will see

The lists I've seen are made up mostly of midmajor players, none of which have had a serious impact.
Mid major players is where many teams have to go to round out their roster and fill spots, even in the starting lineup. If you watched some games last night you would have watched two of the top mid major transfers battle in Knecht and Abmas, albeit both shooting horribly.

All the non-guard mid major guards on the target tracker averaged over 15ppg last season and all but two led their teams in scoring. I'd say that's an impact, one that is clearly needed on the floor at Assembly Hall. You also have to take into consideration that many major conference teams are still playing in some tournament. 7 of the top 10 transfers per Rivals are from major schools but after that it's basically all from mid majors. And Indiana is targeting #2, #3, #21, #29, #31, #38. If you prefer 247 rankings, four fall in their top 10, seven in the top 15.

Now Woody has to show he can close out on transfers, otherwise you're left with a group of transfers similar to what we had this past season. But it does seem that we are targeting the right players at the moment.

Reactions: Thcgh
This is the first year Dayton has gotten in the NCAAT since Miller left, though it should be the second. Grant’s best team was screwed out of the tournament by COVID. That team may have at least matched Miller’s Elite Eight appearance.

True. But Dayton has a very solid basketball history and significant local support. There is a reason the First Four are played there every year.

The Covid year Dayton was looking at a #1 seed with Obi Toppin.

Oh for two on this statement. Quite the opposite actually.
The latter might be wrong but they were rolling for a mid major before he took the helm. At least 22 wins the previous 4 years and either NCAA or NIT all 4 years. Arch certainly went to a higher level at UD winning a couple of titles.

But considering he’s failed at IU and now Rhode Island, it seems he was just set up for success there and he’s not one to build it.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Ok? Define good? Archie Miller was still the flavor of the month hire with a resume 2x better than Dusty May and still flopped like a fish out of water.
Yeah, CBB hirings are a crapshoot anymore. Who knows how May will turn out. If I had to pick one new hire that will maybe an impact on a B1G program, it would probably be that new HC at OSU - Diebler - who already has made a huge difference over what Holtmann left but let's wait and see what happens next year.

As for May, let's get back to him the same time next year

The latter might be wrong but they were rolling for a mid major before he took the helm. At least 22 wins the previous 4 years and either NCAA or NIT all 4 years. Arch certainly went to a higher level at UD winning a couple of titles.

But considering he’s failed at IU and now Rhode Island, it seems he was just set up for success there and he’s not one to build it.
Brian Gregory was there the 8 years prior to Archie and they went to two NCAA tournaments. Year 1 and year 6.

Reactions: nichlee

It's all about having a the correct fit. Archie would have likely kept doing well at Dayton. He'll likely find his stride at Rhode Island.

Dan Hurley was at Rhode Island and took him a few years to get it going there. They were terrible his first two years at RI. And now he's the fav to win B2B national championships.

Dusty built something from nothing.

The previous 4 years before Archie Dayton won 22+ games every year and had gone to the post season every year.

FAU had won 12, 10, 8, and 9 the 4 years before Dusty.

I just don’t think they’re comparable coaches. One was handed the keys and one had to literally have a vision and a plan and have success. That to me makes Dusty a much better coach.
Handed the keys? Dayton is still a mid-major school in a mid-major conference. Archie Miller made 4 consecutive tournaments as an at-large team something no other coach has sniffed at that school since the early 60’s. Is what Dusty May did at FAU an amazing accomplishment? Absolutely. Does it somehow transcend him to another level? Absolutely not. There’s zero expectations or pressure at a school like FAU, and that works out in his favor.

Dusty May could end up being a home run hire at Michigan. He could also end up a total flop just as many coaches before him who have built something at a low level D1 school have found out. Nobody knows.

Reactions: nichlee and GThomas
It will be interesting to see if DM gets much NIL funds to help, or if the money will continue to be directed to football — the golden goose.

Don't say we in regards to wanting an Indiana guy. I have always thought that was WAY down the list of priorities for me.

He has built the program at FAU but did he build something that was sustainable? I don't know.

He had a great year, last year with the FF and a good year this year where FAU was preseason ranked 10th, got up to 7th during the year and ended the year unranked. Other than that not so much.
The four years before that was
17-16
17-15
13-10
19-15

Those years are meh!

Archie was
20-13
17-14
26-11
27-9
25-8
24-8

Conference Champs the last two years.
Made the NCAA the last four years with one EE.

I think an argument could be made that Archie's record was just as, if not more impressive that DM and we all know how Archie ended up.

IMO, a risk by UM and it may pay off and it may end up like us and Archie.
You're fighting a losing battle.

Mike Davis took a team to the NCAA championship game and we were leading it with about 7 minutes left in the second half. Yet one of these guys called Davis mediocre yesterday.

You're fighting a losing battle.

Mike Davis took a team to the NCAA championship game and we were leading it with about 7 minutes left in the second half. Yet one of these guys called Davis mediocre yesterday.
Well, I think that was based on what Davis did AFTER he had a roster full of his own players...

Reactions: Al Bino
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT