ADVERTISEMENT

How does May end up at Michigan?!

Ok? Define good? Archie Miller was still the flavor of the month hire with a resume 2x better than Dusty May and still flopped like a fish out of water.
Dusty built something from nothing.

The previous 4 years before Archie Dayton won 22+ games every year and had gone to the post season every year.

FAU had won 12, 10, 8, and 9 the 4 years before Dusty.

I just don’t think they’re comparable coaches. One was handed the keys and one had to literally have a vision and a plan and have success. That to me makes Dusty a much better coach.

Reactions: IUgradman
First off he is a IU guy so he is not just another guy before Woodson we begged for this. Second he has built a program from nothing to a top 25 program. And unlike Miller he actually has a pulse and a personality.
Before Woodson we wanted a Indiana guy. Woodson had been gone for 40 years and not even coaching for for the last 10 years. I think May fit the bill more then Woodson college experience Indiana guy young good personality built a program from nothing.

Don't say we in regards to wanting an Indiana guy. I have always thought that was WAY down the list of priorities for me.

He has built the program at FAU but did he build something that was sustainable? I don't know.

He had a great year, last year with the FF and a good year this year where FAU was preseason ranked 10th, got up to 7th during the year and ended the year unranked. Other than that not so much.
The four years before that was
17-16
17-15
13-10
19-15

Those years are meh!

Archie was
20-13
17-14
26-11
27-9
25-8
24-8

Conference Champs the last two years.
Made the NCAA the last four years with one EE.

I think an argument could be made that Archie's record was just as, if not more impressive that DM and we all know how Archie ended up.

IMO, a risk by UM and it may pay off and it may end up like us and Archie.

I would disagree that Michael Lewis has “proven nothing”. Last season his team was very competitive, this season was more challenging. Very typical of the mid-major environment.
But he needs more HC seasoning to be an IU candidate.
As I have said before, anyone who goes right back at CRMK deserves a look. Gutsy.

Michael Lewis is just another example of a guy some would consider just because he played ball at IU. If he'd gone to college at Iowa State would anyone here mention his name as an option for the IU coaching position?

Yea. It’s hard to know. Especially since none of us have met Archie or Dusty or have been able to get commentary on what they did to succeed before their big move.

Building a program at a large school is different from Dayton or FAU. FAU probably took more work that Dayton as you noted.

Michigan will be parallel universe IU with Dusty.

While I think Dusty is risky (I’d rather hire someone from a big school), I am jealous they got a new coach and we are stuck.
Let's see what his Michigan contract says. It's possible we just hire him away from them if the shine doesn't wear off of him.

Michael Lewis is just another example of a guy some would consider just because he played ball at IU. If he'd gone to college at Iowa State would anyone here mention his name as an option for the IU coaching position?
We have literally tried the Binks Truck and been denied time after time. It feels like we’re backed into this IU guy corner. It’s not my preference necessarily, but almost feels a necessity at this point. I think we screwed the pooch firing Crean but that ship has sailed.

If the past quarter of a century is any indicator, May will go there and have a successful 20 plus year run hanging a few banners and "going to Disney World", while IU will remain on the coaching carousel carny ride at an abandoned Kmart parking lot until I die.

Let's see what his Michigan contract says. It's possible we just hire him away from them if the shine doesn't wear off of him.
Yea. It’s only a five year deal at $3.75M/yr, pretty short. His departure buyout amount will be interesting. Maybe he will have a “special out” for IU lol (no way).

Woodson may just exclusively recruit the portal, is Woodson giving up on HS kids who don’t dig Woodson’s inside-out game if he doesn’t have a 7’4” 350 pound center?

Reactions: ndhuntington
We will see.
Talent level next year will be worse than this year, and Loody’s not going to adjust his scheme to fit what he has. And other programs aren’t going away.

Mark my words—you were dead wrong about this year and will be dead wrong about next year. And spare me the “we will see” jazz. What we will see is a shiiteshow, as I told you throughout this year and it came to pass. As will this.

Talent level next year will be worse than this year, and Loody’s not going to adjust his scheme to fit what he has. And other programs aren’t going away.

Mark my words—you were dead wrong about this year and will be dead wrong about next year. And spare me the “we will see” jazz. What we will see is a shiiteshow, as I told you throughout this year and it came to pass. As will this.
Then he is gone, SRIV94, BUT I believe he got this.

Don't say we in regards to wanting an Indiana guy. I have always thought that was WAY down the list of priorities for me.

He has built the program at FAU but did he build something that was sustainable? I don't know.

He had a great year, last year with the FF and a good year this year where FAU was preseason ranked 10th, got up to 7th during the year and ended the year unranked. Other than that not so much.
The four years before that was
17-16
17-15
13-10
19-15

Those years are meh!

Archie was
20-13
17-14
26-11
27-9
25-8
24-8

Conference Champs the last two years.
Made the NCAA the last four years with one EE.

I think an argument could be made that Archie's record was just as, if not more impressive that DM and we all know how Archie ended up.

IMO, a risk by UM and it may pay off and it may end up like us and Archie.
Brian Gregory built the program before Miller. Dusty built FAU. Before May came they made the tournament one time since 1994 joining division 1.

Need to wait to see what comes in through the portal. I could see next year's team being better. I mean even eliminating the blowout losses, and winning the cupcake games a little more convincingly will go a long way to increase things like kenpom and .net. Add a couple more wins and it's a tourney team.

I just don't see the disaster season next year that everyone else does, unless you think squeaking into the tourney as a 10 seed is a disaster. And one could make that case.

Reactions: nichlee
Need to wait to see what comes in through the portal. I could see next year's team being better. I mean even eliminating the blowout losses, and winning the cupcake games a little more convincingly will go a long way to increase things like kenpom and .net. Add a couple more wins and it's a tourney team.
Yeah, I’m not convinced. So far the caliber of people Loody’s after aren’t moving the needle in that regard, and that won’t help win cupcake games by higher margins to help the NET and KenPom.

Not to mention that Loody still has to coach them. And that has disaster written all over it.

Then he is gone, SRIV94, BUT I believe he got this.
I believe Woodson found his retirement gig with no expectations or pressure. Woodson knows his friend will never allow him to be fired no matter if they don’t win a game in the B1G.

Of all the "Indiana guys" mentioned over the years, the only one who makes sense to me is Alford. Not because he's such an awesome coach, but simply for the name recognition. He would own the state. While the kids may not have any memories of him in his glory days, their parents and grandparents and the HS coaches sure would.

• Haha
Reactions: jet812
Yeah, I’m not convinced. So far the caliber of people Loody’s after aren’t moving the needle in that regard, and that won’t help win cupcake games by higher margins to help the NET and KenPom.

The lists I've seen are made up mostly of midmajor players, none of which have had a serious impact.

Of all the "Indiana guys" mentioned over the years, the only one who makes sense to me is Alford. Not because he's such an awesome coach, but simply for the name recognition. He would own the state. While the kids may not have any memories of him in his glory days, their parents and grandparents and the HS coaches sure would.

His window is closed. He'll be 60 this year. We don't need more of that.

There was probably a time, say right after Davis, that he may have worked out. But we'll never know.

Reactions: UncleMark

There was probably a time, say right after Davis, that he may have worked out. But we'll never know.
If the players had not pressured IU to hire Davis I think Steve would have followed RMK.

Of course. I'm not advocating for him, just saying that over the years he's the only "Indiana guy" I thought made sense, and only because he was so well known throughout the state. Woody was a great player and is well regarded for it, but Alford is in a different class altogether.

Reactions: Hank Reardon
Lane Kiffin.
excited owls GIF

WOULD have owned the state. That ship has sailed

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT