ADVERTISEMENT

Biden on SmartLess Podcast

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
I'm sure there are many on this board that wouldn't enjoy this podcast. If you haven't heard about it, its Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Will Arnett. They have a guest for each of their episodes, and they all talk, interview, etc... I enjoy it. Its pretty seldom that they talk about politics. But obviously, having the POTUS on the show implies politics.

My point from this post is that I came away feeling a lot..."better" about Biden's mental health. From some of the recent gaffes, I was genuinely worried about it. And while I still am, listening to him have a good, coherent, engaged, and at times very witty and sharp conversation was nice to hear.

I'm not a fan of Biden's at this point. I don't think he's been a very good President thus far. He's had some incredible challenges to deal with. But like our last President, he's failed to rise to those challenges. Some of Biden's gaffes in public appearances, interviews, pressers, etc... really had me starting to question if he was unfit mentally at this point. I have less of those concerns after listening to the SmartLess interview.

Obviously he was in a very "safe" environment. They gave him softball questions. I'm sure he had the list of questions before hand. They didn't challenge him in any way. Nor should they have probably. That's not what their show is for. But he navigated the discussion better than I would have thought he was going to. And at times, he riffed and you could tell he's still pretty sharp.

Anyway...made me feel better.

A couple of specific things I took from the interview though.

1. He shouldn't run again in 2024. But I fear he will if Trump is the nominee. Listening to him talk about a typical day for him, and then thinking about people I know that are his age, that obviously aren't fully healthy like he isn't...well suffice it to say, he shouldn't have to put himself through it for another 4 years. Whether he's capable of doing it or not.
2. He reads a 150-200 page briefing, every night after dinner, to prepare him for the next day. Usually takes him 2-3 hours. I can't imagine how mentally draining that must be for anyone. Let alone someone as old as he is.
3. He has a personal trainer that helps him get up, get limbered up for the day, then he works out for an hour or so every morning. The image of our POTUS needing to be helped getting up and ready is demoralizing for me.
4. He still calls all his grandchildren every night. I think that's pretty cool.
5. Outside a couple comments, he didn't reference Trump much at all.

I'm sure there are many on this board that wouldn't enjoy this podcast. If you haven't heard about it, its Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Will Arnett. They have a guest for each of their episodes, and they all talk, interview, etc... I enjoy it. Its pretty seldom that they talk about politics. But obviously, having the POTUS on the show implies politics.

My point from this post is that I came away feeling a lot..."better" about Biden's mental health. From some of the recent gaffes, I was genuinely worried about it. And while I still am, listening to him have a good, coherent, engaged, and at times very witty and sharp conversation was nice to hear.

I'm not a fan of Biden's at this point. I don't think he's been a very good President thus far. He's had some incredible challenges to deal with. But like our last President, he's failed to rise to those challenges. Some of Biden's gaffes in public appearances, interviews, pressers, etc... really had me starting to question if he was unfit mentally at this point. I have less of those concerns after listening to the SmartLess interview.

Obviously he was in a very "safe" environment. They gave him softball questions. I'm sure he had the list of questions before hand. They didn't challenge him in any way. Nor should they have probably. That's not what their show is for. But he navigated the discussion better than I would have thought he was going to. And at times, he riffed and you could tell he's still pretty sharp.

1. He shouldn't run again in 2024. But I fear he will if Trump is the nominee. Listening to him talk about a typical day for him, and then thinking about people I know that are his age, that obviously aren't fully healthy like he isn't...well suffice it to say, he shouldn't have to put himself through it for another 4 years. Whether he's capable of doing it or not.
2. He reads a 150-200 page briefing, every night after dinner, to prepare him for the next day. Usually takes him 2-3 hours. I can't imagine how mentally draining that must be for anyone. Let alone someone as old as he is.
3. He has a personal trainer that helps him get up, get limbered up for the day, then he works out for an hour or so every morning. The image of our POTUS needing to be helped getting up and ready is demoralizing for me.
4. He still calls all his grandchildren every night. I think that's pretty cool.
I really enjoy the SmartLess podcast. I’ll give that episode a listen.

Will Arnett is sneakily one of the funniest guys alive.

Yeah, he's hilarious. They all play off each other really well.

Obviously the Podcast won't change how anyone views Biden politically...but personally, I prefer my POTUS to be able to think and answer questions...its just a thing I have. So its good to hear him doing that from time to time. As some of his public appearances have been horrendous, and troubling.

Yeah, he's hilarious. They all play off each other really well.

Obviously the Podcast won't change how anyone views Biden politically...but personally, I prefer my POTUS to be able to think and answer questions...its just a thing I have. So its good to hear him doing that from time to time. As some of his public appearances have been horrendous, and troubling.
Don’t be trying to bring all that reasonable approach into this place.

Can't wait to listen. Thanks for the heads up.

I hang with 5 or 6 guys who are all my/ Biden’s age. All are accomplished professionals . The others are all sharper than Biden. I think background makes a difference. Biden has been a politician (and not a particularly good one) his entire life. I think that limits his experience In being Independent, creative, or imaginative.

The biggest problem I have is with #2. Biden obviously has limited knowledge of and exposure to current events and issues. Now we know why. Those who prepare and edit the 150-200 page briefing book are really in charge and have enormous influence. Ive found that “mentally draining” really isn’t a thing. But physical draining is. Doing chores, recreating or just walking, all require planned recovery time.

BTW, I can relate to morning stiffness, or even stiffness after sitting for an hour or so. I don’t have a PT for that, but sometimes I think a front-end loader would help. :) I think I’ll always refuse those assist-to-get-up chairsbut I can now see how they might be useful. You shouldn’t be demoralized, it’s just part of life.

Reactions: Crayfish57
The biggest problem I have is with #2. Biden obviously has limited knowledge of and exposure to current events and issues. Now we know why. Those who prepare and edit the 150-200 page briefing book are really in charge and have enormous influence.
You have a problem with #2?

Can you name an administration where something similar didn't go on? The federal bureaucracy is enormous--how would you expect one man to be relatively informed on it otherwise?

You have a problem with #2?

Can you name an administration where something similar didn't go on? The federal bureaucracy is enormous--how would you expect one man to be relatively informed on it otherwise?
Biden often says things like “they don’t want me to take questions,” ”I have a list of who I am supposed to call on,” and don’t forget the Easter Bunny minder. He is handled, sheltered, and is confined to a bubble.

There are a number of alternatives. Ya hafta wonder if some of the Biden malapropisms and real-world ignorance come straight from being sequestered with his briefing book.

I hang with 5 or 6 guys who are all my/ Biden’s age. All are accomplished professionals . The others are all sharper than Biden. I think background makes a difference. Biden has been a politician (and not a particularly good one) his entire life. I think that limits his experience In being Independent, creative, or imaginative.

The biggest problem I have is with #2. Biden obviously has limited knowledge of and exposure to current events and issues. Now we know why. Those who prepare and edit the 150-200 page briefing book are really in charge and have enormous influence. Ive found that “mentally draining” really isn’t a thing. But physical draining is. Doing chores, recreating or just walking, all require planned recovery time.

BTW, I can relate to morning stiffness, or even stiffness after sitting for an hour or so. I don’t have a PT for that, but sometimes I think a front-end loader would help. :) I think I’ll always refuse those assist-to-get-up chairsbut I can now see how they might be useful. You shouldn’t be demoralized, it’s just part of life.
He and Trump are polar opposites.... Biden is treated almost like a child by his handlers and Trump acted like a 2 year old that wouldn't listen to anyone.

That's a good point. I immediately think him reading/studying that briefing thing every night as a good thing. I suppose its only good if the briefing has good, useful information in it. And I just assumed he was studying it, and forming his own ideas and plans off them. It could be as you wrote, obviously.

In the end...I kinda smell a rat in your premise though. That rat being our former President famously not reading things like the briefings Biden mentions. And you justifying it as him thinking for himself... I think even if you assume the briefings author is the puppet master, and their information and directions for Biden are biased or even nefarious...I still think getting a run down on what's going on in the "Presidency" is a good idea. Biden is a flawed human. He's a flawed leader. Not to mention he's really old. Trump is flawed as well. He's one of the most accomplished frauds in the history of the world, in my opinion. Both he and Biden should welcome/be required to read and study information from actual experts.

I can't shake the "Nursing Home" visual I'm getting from someone helping President Biden out of bed and getting him limbered up every day. I'm 44, I know my day will come. But I sure as shit hope to be retired and facing a day of golf, reading, spending time with my family when I need someone to help me get up and going in the morning. Not running a company or a country.

That rat being our former President famously not reading things like the briefings Biden mentions.
There's no way any one person can keep up with everything going on in the world but, like you, I think a president needs to read briefings. However, that opens a president up to easily being manipulated if that is his sole source of information so he needs to have other sources.

That's a good point. I immediately think him reading/studying that briefing thing every night as a good thing. I suppose its only good if the briefing has good, useful information in it. And I just assumed he was studying it, and forming his own ideas and plans off them. It could be as you wrote, obviously.

In the end...I kinda smell a rat in your premise though. That rat being our former President famously not reading things like the briefings Biden mentions. And you justifying it as him thinking for himself... I think even if you assume the briefings author is the puppet master, and their information and directions for Biden are biased or even nefarious...I still think getting a run down on what's going on in the "Presidency" is a good idea. Biden is a flawed human. He's a flawed leader. Not to mention he's really old. Trump is flawed as well. He's one of the most accomplished frauds in the history of the world, in my opinion. Both he and Biden should welcome/be required to read and study information from actual experts.

I can't shake the "Nursing Home" visual I'm getting from someone helping President Biden out of bed and getting him limbered up every day. I'm 44, I know my day will come. But I sure as shit hope to be retired and facing a day of golf, reading, spending time with my family when I need someone to help me get up and going in the morning. Not running a company or a country.
I will listen to the podcast on my way home from my tax seminar at Evansville tonight.

My comment right now is, look how low a bar you set to feel better about Biden.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I do not like Nukes
I do not like Lukes

It is bad I have to fall
It is bad to have a wall

I like ice cream late
I will visit the 54th state

That is the only way Buyden could read a 150 page brief.

I will listen to the podcast on my way home from my tax seminar at Evansville tonight.

My comment right now is, look how low a bar you set to feel better about Biden.
Oh I know! And check this out...I willingly voted for him knowing some of these things were a concern. How low a bar did Trump set for Biden to "earn" my vote?!

I do not like Nukes
I do not like Lukes

It is bad I have to fall
It is bad to have a wall

I like ice cream late
I will visit the 54th state

That is the only way Buyden could read a 150 page brief.
I was starting to wonder this myself. Listening to him on the podcast, doesn't seem like he's that far gone.

There is no doubt that Trump relied on his own instincts to a fault. And some of his advisors supported that. A perfect example is Trump’s post-election conduct. That undid a lot of good stuff.

Trump often did a touchdown dance when moderation would have been in order. He publicly lit into those who disagreed with him also when moderation would have been in order. I also hafta say that in small meetings with a few people, Trump reportedly was much more attentive and congenial . The bigger the audience the more the bluster.

Trump was criticized for being a FNC. Opinion disciple. Some of them knew they were talking to POTUS every day. That wasn’t a good thing. But I’m not sure that is any different or worse than being at the mercy of staffers and interns. .

There's no way any one person can keep up with everything going on in the world but, like you, I think a president needs to read briefings. However, that opens a president up to easily being manipulated if that is his sole source of information so he needs to have other sources.
Definitely. I suppose what he does from 9-5 is fairly important too. He didn't really touch on that much.

If you assume anything Biden says is true, you are very gullible and haven't paid attention.

What are the odds he calls his granddaughter, Navy Jones Roberts, every night? The one Hunter denied until finally having to admit it when taken to court. The daughter Hunter had with a stripper. The one where he tried to avoid paying child support. The only one Joe did not put a Christmas stocking up for in the White House.

Remember Trump refused to read his briefings. Everyone knew they had to make bullet points or pictures to even get him to look at it. There should be a happy medium. That’s a lot to take in every night. I’ve not heard of the podcast, but I’ll listen, thanks.

If you assume anything Biden says is true, you are very gullible and haven't paid attention.

What are the odds he calls his granddaughter, Navy Jones Roberts, every night? The one Hunter denied until finally having to admit it when taken to court. The daughter Hunter had with a stripper. The one where he tried to avoid paying child support. The only one Joe did not put a Christmas stocking up for in the White House.
Seriously?

Each President has to hire his own staff. He needs to make good decisions and hire people who will get him the truth.

This is no different than any executive of any large organization. The notion that Presidents wouldn't get their information from their underlings hired and trained (hopefully!) to do exactly that is just bizarre to me.

arrested-development.gif

I’m sure Xi and Putin would love to sit down and shoot the shit with Biden over hot cocoa and cigars.
Neither Xi nor Putin seem like the kind of people who would sit down with anyone over hot cocoa and cigars, or whiskey and cigars. It's a shame, really.

Putin is not doing his country any favors, and I doubt he will be in power by the end of 2023.

IMHO, Xi also is not doing his country any favors in the long run. Short term, probably. But not long term. He's not doing the kind of damage Putin is, yet.

Man it’s getting tough to think he’s all there. This is the third or fourth time he’s claimed Beau died in Iraq. It’s nuts. It’s almost like he needs to have a son that died in Iraq.

Man it’s getting tough to think he’s all there. This is the third or fourth time he’s claimed Beau died in Iraq. It’s nuts. It’s almost like he needs to have a son that died in Iraq.

He corrected himself in that clip to say "because". He has maintained for years that Beau's brain cancer was caused by exposure to harmful chemicals put off by Iraqi burn pits.

He corrected himself in that clip to say "because". He has maintained for years that Beau's brain cancer was caused by exposure to harmful chemicals put off by Iraqi burn pits.
Now that you've opened that can. Lets go back and look at those who dies WITH covid and compare with those that died DUE TO covid. win win.

Wow 😂

it’s only a stutter stutter problem!!
Nice try. Read my response. Biden doesn't need lies and conspiracies to make himself look inept. He does fine on his own in that department. Mentally he is fine though. Relatively speaking.

Nice try. Read my response. Biden doesn't need lies and conspiracies to make himself look inept. He does fine on his own in that department. Mentally he is fine though. Relatively speaking.
Sure. The dude lies every time he puts a tie on.

We know one grandchild he doesn't call so don't say all. He doesn't even acknowledge that Hunter has a child in Arkansas. So, if true, Joe calls all but one of his grandchildren. You can tell I am not a Biden fan, and he has hurt this country and he lies all the time; our media doesn't count them.

We know one grandchild he doesn't call so don't say all. He doesn't even acknowledge that Hunter has a child in Arkansas. So, if true, Joe calls all but one of his grandchildren. You can tell I am not a Biden fan, and he has hurt this country and he lies all the time; our media doesn't count them.
Could be? Maybe I'm so desperate for "normal human being" stuff from our last 2 Presidents that I'm putting too much importance on him calling his grandkids?

I'd love to see how he talks, interacts, leads, etc... in closed door meetings.

My guess, based off hearing the SmartLess interview...is he's probably pretty good, and sharp in those types of meetings.

I think he's just struggling to keep everything straight when he's on the spot, in front of cameras and crowds.

Its kind of an important part of the job, so I'm not letting him off the hook. We shouldn't have a President that can't give pressers or speak in front of crowds.

But I just don't think he's as far gone as he looks and sounds in his public appearances of late.

Send Hunter’s bastard to The Wall.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark
He's not doing the kind of damage Putin is, yet.

give-it-time-ryanfluffbruce.gif

The Chinese economic problems are mounting, quickly. Yuan has continued plummeting, despite some extraordinary measures:

Evergrande's struggles are well known, but only a sign of the times

Couple that with all of the shutdown impact on Chinese manufacturing and logistics and China's production economy is in deep trouble. Several of our multi-national clients have already moved production to areas like Mexico and Vietnam b/c of prior supply chain issues in 2020 and 2021.

Reactions: tbone6004

Never listened to the podcast, but I took away the following:

• Biden was much better unscripted and I do believe the part about geniuine empathy and passion
  • Biden did a good job being apolitical IMO, which is hard to do given the environment and timing
  • Batemen sucked up too much and couldn't stop trying to politicize things
  • Will Arnett is by far the funniest of the group and seems to have a knack for moderating or guiding conversations
  • Would the podcast have the same take on GWB as they do Biden regarding his affability?

Overall, it was a fun, easy listening experience for the most part, which I appreciate. I'm going to try the Gretzky podcast next and see if this becomes a regular for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT