ADVERTISEMENT

Cuban on Trump/Biden

Sure. I'll talk about it. But this started with zeke laughing at Trump for stating years ago that the markets would crash under Biden. Well, they did, sort of. Nasdaq was down 33%, SP 18%, and Dow 8%. Bonds down 13%, worst ever. The word "crash" is subjective. But Trump wasn't completely wrong. It happened with bonds, for sure, and some would say Nasdaq.
I’d say you are using the term crash in order to make your point. At least you admit it is subjective.

Sure. I'll talk about it. But this started with zeke laughing at Trump for stating years ago that the markets would crash under Biden. Well, they did, sort of. Nasdaq was down 33%, SP 18%, and Dow 8%. Bonds down 13%, worst ever. The word "crash" is subjective. But Trump wasn't completely wrong. It happened with bonds, for sure, and some would say Nasdaq.

So do we ignore the good run we had in 2021? Or do we just claim that it took a year before the Biden administration was able to tank the markets? Me, I just personally find these back and forths about how Trump or Biden did or didn't play a big role in the markets' performance to be disingenuous, at best. Given enough time, it always goes up, no matter who sits in the Oval Office.

images

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
So do we ignore the good run we had in 2021? Or do we just claim that it took a year before the Biden administration was able to tank the markets? Me, I just personally find these back and forths about how Trump or Biden did or didn't play a big role in the markets' performance to be disingenuous, at best. Given enough time, it always goes up, no matter who sits in the Oval Office.

images

No. I never said that. And normally, I would agree with everything you said. Buy this president on day 1 reversed oil policies and 2 months later, passed ARP. Both shortly after the stimulus plan passed in December. He totally affected the trajectory of the economy and subsequent inflation. Check out the AGG the past 3 years.

I’d say you are using the term crash in order to make your point. At least you admit it is subjective.

I never said crash wasn't subjective, unlike the definition of a recession. I said Trump was correct when one considers all markets, like Nasdaq and bonds. I don't believe an 18% decline in the S&P is a crash, but some people do. And if one adjusts for inflation, the returns under Biden are worse.

No. I never said that. And normally, I would agree with everything you said. Buy this president on day 1 reversed oil policies and 2 months later, passed ARP. Both shortly after the stimulus plan passed in December. He totally affected the trajectory of the economy and subsequent inflation. Check out the AGG the past 3 years.

Some would claim the steps taken by the Biden administration -- in conjunction with the Fed -- played a part in preventing a worse decline in the markets, kept employment strong, contributed to rising wages, and helped bring inflation down relatively quickly after the spike. I don't claim to know shit, but that seems to be the take of a number of people whose opinions I respect, including JDB and twenty.

Some would claim the steps taken by the Biden administration -- in conjunction with the Fed -- played a part in preventing a worse decline in the markets, kept employment strong, contributed to rising wages, and helped bring inflation down relatively quickly after the spike. I don't claim to know shit, but that seems to be the take of a number of people whose opinions I respect, including JDB and twenty.

So the ends justify the means? I posted back in October 2022, an article from the The Hill and an economic letter from the SF Fed regarding the contributions ARP and Biden policies had on inflation.

From my other research reading economic outlook and opinions from a ton of investment managers (JPM, Fidelity, Invesco, Blackrock, MFS), to reading economic reports from various Fed banks, it is my opinion that the ends did not justify the means.

The US was recovering nicely when Biden took office and we had just passed a $900B relief bill in Dec 2020 that included direct payments that people received in the following months. Add in the fact tax time and refunds would be rolling out early 2021 and people received a lot of cash. We needed to let stimulus #2 bake into the already recovering economy.

I am approaching cosmic length with this post, so I'll stop here and let you respond if you want.

I know. I do this for a living and have been for 25 years. But that does not mean it wasn't down in 2022. And you decided to ignore the worst bond market ever. Most people and pensions have 25-50% in bonds.
If you can answer. Has anyone been studying or talking about Bitcoin?

Reactions: mcmurtry66
So the ends justify the means? I posted back in October 2022, an article from the The Hill and an economic letter from the SF Fed regarding the contributions ARP and Biden policies had on inflation.

From my other research reading economic outlook and opinions from a ton of investment managers (JPM, Fidelity, Invesco, Blackrock, MFS), to reading economic reports from various Fed banks, it is my opinion that the ends did not justify the means.

The US was recovering nicely when Biden took office and we had just passed a $900B relief bill in Dec 2020 that included direct payments that people received in the following months. Add in the fact tax time and refunds would be rolling out early 2021 and people received a lot of cash. We needed to let stimulus #2 bake into the already recovering economy.

I am approaching cosmic length with this post, so I'll stop here and let you respond if you want.
Yes

Biden set out to create a massive social safety net. That was the motive for the added stim. Not that we needed the added stim.

Musk? Lol. He's got about as much integrity as Trump. And I wouldn't drive a Tesla if I got one for free. Effing death traps.
Tesla Model Y was the best selling car in the world last year. 50% more expensive than the next best selling too.

We have these things called markets that decide what humans believe are good products and bad products.

Unfortunately for you and your partisan bullshit, Tesla is overwhelmingly seen as a great product.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT