ADVERTISEMENT

Bias aside - look at this ridiculous list...(link)

Ever been to those campuses?

I've never been to Madison or Ann Arbor, but I've always heard great things about them. It's hard to honestly get uptight about rankings like this, since most of us have only visited a handful of B1G campuses. Here's where I've been:

Purdue - God awful ugly campus. Even students there confided to me they hated it.
Illinois - Not bad.
Ohio State - Does not feel like a college campus. Feels like an industrial park.
Michigan State - Pretty nice, but I wasn't as big a fan of East Lansing as some others.
Northwestern - Only B1G campus of the ones I've visited I'd honestly put on par with Bloomington, though the aesthetics are entirely different.

I've been to a few other non-B1G campuses that I can think of off the top of my head that were gorgeous:
Illinois State
Bradley
Murray State
Western Kentucky
Ohio - bonus points because Athens is awesome, although some of the university buildings - especially dorms - are ugly.

goat

My instant reaction was being below College Park...

I live in DC. College Park is where you go if you want to get mugged at night. It's situated on US 1 - a major, ugly highway.

He used Ledo Pizza of all places to describe it. Ledo. Pizza.

It's worth noting

That College Park appears on several lists of "Worst Campuses in America."

If you browse enough of these things, you tend to get the sense that it's pretty universal that the two best places in the B1G are Bloomington and Ann Arbor. I would like to drive up to Ann Arbor sometime to see it.

goat

Penn State's campus is nicer than Ann Arbors.

Ive been at Bloomington, West Lafayette, Ann Arbor, Columbus, State College, East Lansing, and Champaign.

West Lafayette, Champaign, and Columbus were the worst of those campuses

Ann Arbor was ok. East Lansing was nice. Penn State is very similar to IU in that it has a lot of grassy and wooded areas on campus in a nice college town.

Just avoid the locker room showers @ PSU.

(Wisconsin & IU), a gap, then (Ann Arbor & Evanston)

among the ones I have visited
OSU? Blah.
MSU? nada
Purdue? LOL. last by a mile
Illinois? not Purdue, but nothing special
Rutgers? nope
College Park? nope
Minnesota? Blah

I've never been to Nebraska, Penn State, or Iowa

I have been to Madison, W. Laf., Ann Arbor, E. Lansing, Evanston, Champaign, Columbus, Minneapolis, and Bloomington, of course. Just on the minor exposure I have had to each, here is my ranking based on general campus appeal;

1) Bloomington
2) Madison
3) Minn
4) Ann Arbor
5) E. Lansing
6) Columbus
7) Champaign
8) Evanston
9) W. Laf

I think what is skewing these rankings

Is the emphasis put on the football stadium on game day. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, it is simply different than how we might look at things.

IU grads tend to value the overall campus, and we are spoiled. I am not as enamored with Madison as others are, the lakes are cool but the rest of the campus is too urban feeling for me. I like Evanston, E Lansing was nice 20 years ago, it has too many busy roads cutting it up now.

People here like to trash WL and while the town, bar and music scene, restaurant selection, arts, etc are awful, the campus itself is very average. It is not horrible as many here say. In fact they have worked pretty hard to keep it up and add much more landscaping than there used to be.

#2 won me at....

...Start your tour by taking a stroll down "Beaver" Ave. I'll make sure by dark sunglasses are clean.

Another nice non-B1G campus is...

Chapel Hill's UNC..."college-type" architecture set amongst towering pines growing in red clay with relatively mild weather conditions where nice looking coeds tell you in a cute, southern drawl charming your pants off that their basketball is pretty good. My cousin had gone there so I visited the campus in the latter half of the 1960's. Subsequently applied to the school and opened my rejection letter in 1969. IU was an excellent second choice, though I would witness one less national championship in basketball, as of today. I really think if Scott May's kid had gone here instead of there (which would have happened if Knight's zero tolerant ass hadn't been canned), it would have been four for IU and only three for UNC. I also think of Christmas whenever I eat candy and nuts and how drunk I would be if "ifs" were "fifths" because then I wouldn't care. If only I had saved that rejection letter, it would be hanging framed in my bathroom right now. I would show it to those pompous, campus bastards and say, "See what you missed!" (He just jested.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT