ADVERTISEMENT

Baltimore bridge collapse

But why is he insisting that the federal government will pay for everything? It's almost like they're terrified of an insurance investigation.
Or he just meant the gov would pay for everything that insurance doesn't cover.

Or he has dementia and you're trying way too hard to read into his comments lol

Reactions: dbmhoosier
Bam! Yes bring them both HOME. but crean is in charge
I really thought Davis was done after that year he didn't show up for the Iowa game, but he got another year.

I remember one year (may have been the same year), we played O$U in the Big Ten Tournament and we got down big in the first half. Like, really big. Davis put in all subs, with only Bracey still in, and we came back to win the game.

At the press conference, Davis said he'd learned a lesson and that he wasn't just going to play starters all the time, or something to that effect. Well, sure as shit, he started every regular starter that year and got pounded.

He was not exactly a fast learner.

I like Davis - he was like the guy who just lucked into a #1 job and money. A Walter Mitty character, if there ever was one. And one other thing I liked about him - he hate Kentucky just as much as we did. Oh, and he owned Purdue - I guess that's 2 reasons.

The Dali was powered by a single diesel. Looks to me like it was not a diesel/electric system. No backups. Engine failure? Fuel issue?

Now I’ve read that and see they have basic engineering plant with no propulsion redundancy. They do have electrical power redundancy. Don’t know what kind of control system they have, but it’s got to be electronic or control air, which we had on my third ship as Chief Engineer Officer. Loss of control air shouldn’t cause loss of propulsion and generator engines. A main fuel valve could have failed shut and that would have caused all the engines to shut down. Bad fuel could have caused it too. Could be something else, but nothing else is coming to mind and won’t since I don’t really know the plant. ;)

Last edited:
I think it’s just the shit that goes to dick’s etc. team uniforms are outsourced. My buddy used to manufacture the football uniforms that were sec under armour schools. He’d make the uniforms then just slap the under armour patch and label on at the end
And people wonder why i have trust issues.

They’re a smoke and mirrors marketing company. There’s no greater buzzkill than the German national team wearing Nike
Should only be Puma or Adidas. It's a travesty.

4ebcf807db3226864701d3cb90c4ca41bec3c52914b4219739e6204d0b047ffc_1.webp
*had

FIFY

Daughter decided to play basketball when we moved to Bloomington...wanted Adidas shoes.

Could find nothing plain/decent in town, so grabbed her some plain black Nike's.

She refused to wear them. "No way!"

This was kinda during the Kapernick backlash, so I asked her "not to get political"...as a 7 year old.

Her response was that Purdue wore Nike, and the Hoosiers wore Adidas, and that the boys at Purdue called her a bitch at the Bucket game when they made a first down, so she hated Purdue, and Nike...

"Welcome to Indiana Football". 😄

The Germans used a lot of horses during the war as well. We think of them as a mechanized force and they were, but not at all totally mechanized.

Wow, had no idea. Very little footage gets show of the horses in regards to supply lines, etc. in the documentaries I've watched (e.g., WWII in Color), unless I'm missing it.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Wow, had no idea. Very little footage gets show of the horses in regards to supply lines, etc. in the documentaries I've watched (e.g., WWII in Color), unless I'm missing it.

WW2 from the Frontlines on Netflix. Showed a lot of horse footage. Was shocking to see, but even more shocking to read that link. 6M horses is mind boggling.

There a scene in Band of Brothers where Webster is in the back of a truck heading one direction while surrendered Germans are headed the other way in horse drawn wagons. He stands and berates them about bringing horses to war and tells them to say hello to Ford.

He stands and berates them about bringing horses to war and tells them to say hello to Ford.

I don't recall that, but it's been a long time. Ironically, Ford actually provided Ze Germans with plenty of critical vehicles.

Moreover, Ford’s cooperation with the Nazis continued until at least August 1942–eight months after the United States entered the war–through its properties in Vichy France. Indeed, a secret wartime report prepared by the US Treasury Department concluded that the Ford family sought to further its business interests by encouraging Ford of France executives to work with German officials overseeing the occupation. “There would seem to be at least a tacit acceptance by [Henry Ford’s son] Mr. Edsel Ford of the reliance…on the known neutrality of the Ford family as a basis of receipt of favors from the German Reich,” it says.

Ford vehicles were crucial to the revolutionary Nazi military strategy of blitzkrieg. Of the 350,000 trucks used by the motorized German Army as of 1942, roughly one-third were Ford-made. The Schneider report states that when American troops reached the European theater, “Ford trucks prominently present in the supply lines of the Wehrmacht were understandably an unpleasant sight to men in our Army.” Indeed, the Cologne plant proved to be so important to the Reich’s war effort that the Allies bombed it on several occasions. A secret 1944 US Air Force “Target Information Sheet” on the factory said that for the previous five years it had been “geared for war production on a high level.”

Some American...

I don't recall that, but it's been a long time. Ironically, Ford actually provided Ze Germans with plenty of critical vehicles.

Moreover, Ford’s cooperation with the Nazis continued until at least August 1942–eight months after the United States entered the war–through its properties in Vichy France. Indeed, a secret wartime report prepared by the US Treasury Department concluded that the Ford family sought to further its business interests by encouraging Ford of France executives to work with German officials overseeing the occupation. “There would seem to be at least a tacit acceptance by [Henry Ford’s son] Mr. Edsel Ford of the reliance…on the known neutrality of the Ford family as a basis of receipt of favors from the German Reich,” it says.

Ford vehicles were crucial to the revolutionary Nazi military strategy of blitzkrieg. Of the 350,000 trucks used by the motorized German Army as of 1942, roughly one-third were Ford-made. The Schneider report states that when American troops reached the European theater, “Ford trucks prominently present in the supply lines of the Wehrmacht were understandably an unpleasant sight to men in our Army.” Indeed, the Cologne plant proved to be so important to the Reich’s war effort that the Allies bombed it on several occasions. A secret 1944 US Air Force “Target Information Sheet” on the factory said that for the previous five years it had been “geared for war production on a high level.”

Some American...
I wonder if this is where the slogan "I'd rather push a Chevy than drive a Ford" came from?

She's all that and more.

Adams received a degree from St. John’s University for Biology and Computer Science in 1998. She also revealed that she worked briefly for Sony, but that she left to pursue her political ambitions. After this, it’s unclear how she’s spent her time.​

Yet...

She noted that she’s only been involved in politics for the last five years.​

She made a nice hourly rate

He was trying to make a point (or advocating) for open borders
I know that. All the economic benefits coming to unskilled migrants is an example of trickle down economics which the Democrats keep saying can’t work, but common sense tells us it works, has always worked and always will work.

I know that. All the economic benefits coming to unskilled migrants is an example of trickle down economics which the Democrats keep saying can’t work, but common sense tells us it works, has always worked and always will work.
I get what you’re saying and that is definitely worth debating but has nothing to do with the position Cato lays out. He seems to be advocating for a “policy”based on national origin.

I get what you’re saying and that is definitely worth debating but has nothing to do with the position Cato lays out. He seems to be advocating for a “policy”based on national origin.
I know. But since we went down the border rabbit hole in a thread about the bridge disaster, I figured we might as well also go down the trickle-down economics rabbit hole.

Reactions: Spartans9312
He was trying to make a point (or advocating) for open borders
Or he was trying to make a point that many immigrants take the jobs that Americans don’t want. Not stealing the jobs that Americans are fighting over.

When I was teaching high school completion classes on Army posts in Germany, we had a weekemd seminar near Garmisch in the Alps. A couple of my fellow teachers and I were going to take a cable car to the top of the mountain and visit the restaurant. My two friends were reluctant to make the trip but I talked them into it...

My plan was to wait until the 3 of us (the rest of the car was empty) were on our way, and then scare them by telling them about when my cousin was an exchange student in Grenoble France and had a horrifying experience. She was on a ski lift and some sort of malfunction occurred and people on another chair fell to their deaths. I thought it would be fun to scare them, at least that was my plan...

But as soon as the car started to move I was suddenly unable to move. All three of us were trying to hold on for dear life, and any thought I had of recounting that story to try and scare them was DOA. What made it worse was that the car made two or three stops and old Germans who clearly lived on the mountain and rode the tram each day got on. I knew enough German to comprehend that they thought it was hilarious that the 2 Black girls and the white guy were scared of going up the mountain.

When we finally got to the top any plans to eat or enjoy the view had dissipated. But instead of having the car to ourselves on the way down,it was SRO. There were straps hanging from the roof to hold on to, and it was like being in a crowded subway car. But instead of being on level tracks (and feeling relatively safe) we were in an overcrowded cable car which was hurtling towards Earth at what seemed to me a rapid rate of descent.

We survived.And I had one more stab at overcoming vertigo when I got back to the US and visited San Francisco. I was staying at a hostel in the shadow of the GG bridge, and from there it looked scenic and not at all threatening.So along with a few other travellers, I decided to go up to the bridge and join all the people walking across. I was finally going to put my Garmisch demons to rest. At least that was the plan...

When we got to the bridge, the first thing I noticed was that it was very windy and the bridge swayed. Still nervous, but undaunted I made my way to the walkway and started to walk across. I was OK till we were completely over water, and suddenly I found myself frozen unable to move. I literally wasn't able to move forward, and the swaying didn't help.

People continued to nonchalantly pass by me, and I was afraid I might have to stay there forever.Finally I got down on my hands and knees and literally crawled back to the SF side. It was beyond embarrassing, but with the other walkers and people in cars jeering, all I cared about was getting my ass off that damn bridge and back on to solid ground.

I think my last trip to the balcony occurred during the 74-75 season vs pUKe, and the infamous RMK patting Joe B Hall on the head incident. Our seats for the game were in the balcony (despite camping out for tickets for 3 weeks) because the marquee game was ND with John Shumate, so that was the ticket package our best seats were for.

Your group had to line up at one of the 3 ticket windows based on which package you wanted to get first, and then from there after purchasing those seats you moved on to the lines for your second and third choices for ticket passage. The idea was you'd get court level for your first choice,then main level for your second and then balcony for your third, but it didn't always work out as planned.

Anyway one of my poly sci seminars had met at Nicks that afternoon, as it was the last class heading into either Thanksgiving or Christmas break. Of course meeting at Nicks in an informal setting we had drank beer for a couple of hours. But then the professor decided to buy shots, and after a couple of rounds I was wasted. I'm not sure how I walked home,or over to AH, but I'll never forget the terror I experienced watching that game in the balcony and being so out of it that I was afraid I'd go careening down the seats and over the rails.

I probably did watch a few more games up there for that season, but I never repeated the mistake of being drunk. The next year they did away with the lottery system and we never got stuck up their again. Haven't been to a game for a couple of years, but these days I can barely make it up to the main level without being exhausted, so a trip to the balcony would be impossible.
It’s funny how you don’t know what’s going to trigger it until it happens. I’ve had drinks sitting in balcony, but I can’t imagine actually being drunk sitting up there. I’d need Dramamine now!

You implied it was a shitty job. Working for the state is not usually seen that way. I guess from your ivory tower you may see it that way.

Your original statement is not a feature
In the middle of the night shift? Yeah that doesn’t seem like a great job to me. Ivory tower? Lol sure thing

In the middle of the night shift? Yeah that doesn’t seem like a great job to me. Ivory tower? Lol sure thing
So….you are for a system that results in structural discrimination against noncitizens?

Once again….open borders is not a feature

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT